Sheppard Pratt Health System Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
21 reviews filtered by
2.8
Steven S. Sharfstein

1. They provide freedom to move around the hopsital to help employees determine a well-fitting role .

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Towson, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, plenty of hours to work, flexible schedule options, adequate training & continuous education. Decent leadership and opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Employees who do not deal well with psych patients are tolerated. They need to better enforce rules about therapeutic communication.

Continue offering opportunities for growth & advancement. Reconsider limit on per diem hours and overall staff pay scales.

2. Educational Assistant; Special Education (Emotional/Behavioral Disorders)

Current Employee - Educational Assistant
    Current Employee - Educational Assistant

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some days are easy, school days shorter, hours consistent and off by 4

Cons

Must be prepared for anything to happen (eg. assault, violent episodes, yelling)

Have regular team building exercises and meetings to decrease conflict among co-workers when they are already working in an otherwise stressful environment! Also, be a leader when that is your job, and properly manage your employees!

3. A good stepping stone

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System

Pros

relatively easy to application
    nice co-workers
    raises every year (when possible)
    nice campus

Cons

high turn-over rate
    not a guarenteed raise

5. Overall Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

Pros

The work we do here matters. I love how rewarding my job is and I don't even work directly with the patients. The benefits are great, pay is comparable to other non-profits, and employees are so friendly and welcoming. There is a great work-life balance - you don't feel pressured to stay until 7pm every night. The managers I work with are very supportive and are great mentors. Increases are given every year and there is a lot of room for growth within the company.

Cons

Honestly, I've been here for over a year and I don't have any complaints. Sheppard Pratt is an amazing place to work. I've never worked for a company that shows this much appreciation for their employees (holiday bonuses, anniversary breakfasts, annual increases, tuition assistance). I see myself being here for a very long time.

6. I have been able to get great experience out of college, however the pay is very low

Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Towson, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great experience and diverse patients

Cons

Low pay for the staff

7. Cut, Cut, Cut, Cut

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System

Pros

Relative low application requirements. They have jobs for all different types of people. If you are trying to get into this field you can start out with just a H.S. degree and find a job there.

Cons

This hospital has been cutting services for a very long time. They have recently cut the education department. Considering the fact that psychiatric hospitals have closed down all over the nation it's not surprising. The IT department seems to be very low and very inadequate.

8. Not a bad place to work..

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working overnight and not having to deal with a lot of people. So that's definitely a plus.

Cons

The hospital as a whole is VERY clicky. It's reminiscent of high school. If there's ever a problem with a supervisor, from what I've seen, nothing will come of complaints. H. R. doesn't seem to be very helpful in that regard.

Consider your employees as the working adults that they are. Be professional...Not just for show but for real. If the in office drama that is fueled by management stopped and work related issues were taken as seriously as the drama it would more than likely boost the departments morale.

9. Surprised this doesn't make "Forbes Worth Companies" List

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System

Pros

Easy interview process. If you need a job they will take you regardless of your skill set or ability. Provide cafeteria and vaccination program for their employees. Once provided program to get employees to quit smoking...

Cons

Lack of training, skilled management and overall pay increases. Pay seems to be very low, well below average for the position. Environment is political where certain individuals with very little ability and knowledge make organizational changes...

Hire a consultant

10. Nice place to work in 2014.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

Pros

Beautiful campus with free parking.

Cafeteria provided free dinner and breakfast to those who worked night shift in the snow storms this winter.

Management gives bonuses/gift cards during the holidays

Good work/life balance

Great summer party for employees with great food and music

Cons

There is not a guaranteed raise every year, but management seems to do their best to make it happen

Keep doing what you are doing, I feel valued as an employee and there is a reason I choose to work here.

11. I enjoy my job and my coworkers and believe in the mission of the organization.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a supportive environment. Our organization does good work for the community. We have grown and will continue to grow. There is a sense of job stability here.

Cons

Entry level positions have more turnover due to accuity of patients and students.

Sheppard Pratt Health System Photos