Sheppard Pratt Health System

2.7

Steven S. Sharfstein

Overall Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work we do here matters. I love how rewarding my job is and I don't even work directly with the patients. The benefits are great, pay is comparable to other non-profits, and employees are so friendly and welcoming. There is a great work-life balance - you don't feel pressured to stay until 7pm every night. The managers I work with are very supportive and are great mentors. Increases are given every year and there is a lot of room for growth within the company.

Cons

Honestly, I've been here for over a year and I don't have any complaints. Sheppard Pratt is an amazing place to work. I've never worked for a company that shows this much appreciation for their employees (holiday bonuses, anniversary breakfasts, annual increases, tuition assistance). I see myself being here for a very long time.

I have been able to get great experience out of college, however the pay is very low

Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Towson, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great experience and diverse patients

Cons

Low pay for the staff

Cut, Cut, Cut, Cut

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System

Pros

Relative low application requirements. They have jobs for all different types of people. If you are trying to get into this field you can start out with just a H.S. degree and find a job there.

Cons

This hospital has been cutting services for a very long time. They have recently cut the education department. Considering the fact that psychiatric hospitals have closed down all over the nation it's not surprising. The IT department seems to be very low and very inadequate.

Not a bad place to work..

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working overnight and not having to deal with a lot of people. So that's definitely a plus.

Cons

The hospital as a whole is VERY clicky. It's reminiscent of high school. If there's ever a problem with a supervisor, from what I've seen, nothing will come of complaints. H. R. doesn't seem to be very helpful in that regard.

Consider your employees as the working adults that they are. Be professional...Not just for show but for real. If the in office drama that is fueled by management stopped and work related issues were taken as seriously as the drama it would more than likely boost the departments morale.

Surprised this doesn't make "Forbes Worth Companies" List

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System

Pros

Easy interview process. If you need a job they will take you regardless of your skill set or ability. Provide cafeteria and vaccination program for their employees. Once provided program to get employees to quit smoking...

Cons

Lack of training, skilled management and overall pay increases. Pay seems to be very low, well below average for the position. Environment is political where certain individuals with very little ability and knowledge make organizational changes...

Hire a consultant

Nice place to work in 2014.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

Pros

Beautiful campus with free parking.

Cafeteria provided free dinner and breakfast to those who worked night shift in the snow storms this winter.

Management gives bonuses/gift cards during the holidays

Good work/life balance

Great summer party for employees with great food and music

Cons

There is not a guaranteed raise every year, but management seems to do their best to make it happen

Keep doing what you are doing, I feel valued as an employee and there is a reason I choose to work here.

I enjoy my job and my coworkers and believe in the mission of the organization.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a supportive environment. Our organization does good work for the community. We have grown and will continue to grow. There is a sense of job stability here.

Cons

Entry level positions have more turnover due to accuity of patients and students.

great experience for a college student who is in it for the experience, not money. just don't get hurt on the job!

Former Employee - Occasional Educational Assistant in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Occasional Educational Assistant in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible schedule, great learning experience

Cons

high turn over rate with educational assistants, most of which are slackers from day 1. and workers comp is a nightmare do NOT get hurt working here

quarterly reviews for "administrators" and provide constructive feedback to new hires

I used to work there.

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Towson, MD

I worked at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can become very knowledgeable about how to handle aggressive patients. Some of the best co-workers around.

Cons

Managers tend to bully those under them; if it's reported, goes back to managers doing bullying. No support from Human Resources. Don't work there if you are idealistic.

Really need to take an interest in day-to-day experience of direct care workers. Search out those who are being bullied; don't wait for them to report it.

Lack of training and education

Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Towson, MD

I have been working at Sheppard Pratt Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sheppard pratt is a great place to work, very friendly people and nice staff.

Cons

Lack of training and education in general, weak management. Staff gets away with breaking rules and being late every day.

Sheppard Pratt Health System Photos