Sherwin-Williams Automotive

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Craig Williams

Great Company to work for. Training is great and people are easy to work with.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams Automotive full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCorporate position with structure and security.

ConsCorporate direction is often times considered to be out of touch or too late.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire future management from within the collision industry.

Decent part time work while looking for a career out of college

Sales Associate I (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams Automotive part-time for less than a year

ProsGot a good amount of sales and product experience. The staff at my store is all very friendly (cannot say the same for other stores I have been to for IST's).

ConsWas interested in going to the MTP training program for the assistant manager position but upon finding out there is nearly guaranteed relocation (you have no say in where and if decline the location you will be fired the next day). Lots of busy work and unloading pallets in the back. Dealing with pissed off and rushed contractors, or there workers who feel like its their time to be someones boss when they come buy the paint gets extremely dull.

Marketing

Marketing (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams Automotive full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to work - great room for advancement.

ConsNo cons - appreciate the company.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sherwin-Willaims is ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

I worked at Sherwin-Williams Automotive part-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you are interested in learning about a job in the automotive paint business, Sherwin-Williams Automotive will help you learn about this business. You will learn to work with customers, mix paint,
take orders and work with a team.

ConsIn my years with Sherwin-Williams Automotive I went through 7 managers for the 8 years I worked there. There is little chance of being promoted to full-time positions and when one does come open, the company may hire someone outside of the company before they move a existing employee into the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from the employees that have been there for awhile, they already know your customers and can help you to learn to deal with them.

A division that could succeed if given adequate resources.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sherwin-Williams Automotive part-time for more than a year

ProsThe culture is fantastic. All of my coworkers (excluding 1 bad apple) are extremely friendly people who will work with you to get what needs to be done.

ConsThe resources needed (mainly labor) to have a successful retail store was not there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTwo people running a $1.8 million dollar store is not a good idea.

Good company but not for me.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sherwin-Williams Automotive

ProsThey train you, get to travel in the beginning.

ConsCould train more hands on with products. Difficult to learn product knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove training program to better assist trainees.

Branch Manager for Illinois Branch

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sherwin-Williams Automotive

ProsNice entry level job. Quickly can be promoted.

ConsSalary was low for responsibilities. Little freedom in schedule. More or less an order taker and filler.

Overall a good experience, but unhealthy work environment.

Branch Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sherwin-Williams Automotive

ProsPay is great, benefits are good, relationships you build with employees are valuable. Getting stuck with a non-performing sales rep can make things difficult.

ConsAbility to move upward in the company, unless you want to be a sales rep or work at corporate, you're stuck in the Branch Manager position for a long time.

Ok at first, then it all went downhill fast.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sherwin-Williams Automotive

ProsMonday through Friday 8-5 work schedule. No weekends! (Very unusual for retail management)
Pay is OK.
Benefits are good. 401 K is really good.
Some travel in beginning.
Co-workers were helpful at first.....
MTP's are in line to be a Store Manager within a 12-18 months.

ConsVery physical job. Lots of manual labor. Unloading trucks. Stocking. Mixing paint. (You will sweat and be tired at the end of the day)
You will do all the unloading/stocking/checking in product by yourself.
STAR orders can be a pain.
Phone rings pretty much the entire day.
I had sorry co-workers at my store. Not much teamwork. Slack coworkers at times.
Customers are a pain.
DM's are clueless.
Initial training will be at another location/city. Stay in a hotel room for 2 months.
Travel can be a pain. Training in Atlanta, Philly, Cleveland.
Product knowledge is hard to learn and lots of it. Very technical stuff.
Returns are a pain.
Old/outdated computer system.
Inventory days/nights where you count entire store. (you do get some overtime)
No women in this line of business. All male. 100%
Very strict on Overtime. You are expected to only get 40 hours unless traveling or inventory days.
You will have to relocate in order to become a Store Manager.

Overall, the MTP program is apparently very new to this division of SW. It's not very good. Not organized right and why can't you train in the store where you will work?

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp the MTP program. Allow Overtime. DM's need to learn to encourage and be positive to MTP's. Don't motivate by being negative, fear, and threaten you to find a new job if things aren't going so well. (People make mistakes, especially new employees who are new to the paint business.)

Hire college grads for MTP, but also hire MTP's from within the store if an employee knows the business and works hard and wants to be in management. Don't just hire college grads for the MTP position.

EVERYONE SHOULD UNLOAD STOCK, PUT UP STOCK, AND PARTICIPATE AND BE A TEAM!!!

Poor leader ship in the division, success is based on favortism over skills and abilities

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams Automotive

Pros-OK pay
-Good benefits
-Senior leadership outside the division is very competent
-Great financial management at the Corporate level, again outside the division

Cons-Poor leadership skills of the current President
-Lack of respect, very little recognition of accomplishments, unless your in the club
-Poor outlook for the future
-Quality of the senior management team is deteriorating with more to come.
-Lack of understanding by the Corporate leadership that the problem of the division is the leader they have chosen to run it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a competent respectful leader at the top of this division that can motivate and mentor the team with respect and professionalism. Not the current lack of leader with the little man complex!

Worked for Sherwin-Williams Automotive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sherwin-Williams Automotive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sherwin-Williams Automotive CEO Craig Williams. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Sherwin-Williams Automotive employees.