Sherwin-Williams Reviews

Reset
4.0
Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor
Christopher M. Connor

Pros
  • Many opportunities for advancement if you're willing to move (sometimes not too far) (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits, opportunity for advancement if willing to move (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge (in 43 reviews)

• Upper management promotes only those with college degree (in 84 reviews)

Can't imagine a better Company to work for....

Former Employee - Retired in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Retired in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong, ethical, employee dedicated Management. Great Leaders, Co-Workers, morale. Financially sound. Great advancement opportunities (no glass ceiling). Competitive compensation. Generous 401K and Pension Plan. Technical leader. Superior quality products.

Cons

Must be willing to innovate, work hard, maintain standards, have high morals, and contribute whatever it takes to achieve personal and Corporate goals. Not really a CON... probably key to what makes this Company great!

Advice to Management

Don't veer from proven strategies. Continue focus on the welfare of Employees, Customers, and Vendors.

Over Catering to Short-Term Wall Street Analyst Expectations

Current Employee - Middle Management - Supply Chain in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Middle Management - Supply Chain in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Written in the view of middle management. Given the growth push of the company in the past six to seven years (Team 150), there has been much turnover and/or new positions created- whether through voluntary or involuntary turnover. If one is willing to relocate or expand outside their comfort zone into another division, opportunities are often abundant. The company is finally starting to make some strides in upgrading database, analytics, and data mining systems in order to better utilize information in management decision making. There is a genuine sense of camaraderie among colleagues- we are all going through the same struggles together. There is still a pension system in place, which is not something you see much these days.

Cons

Meetings with executive and upper-middle management have turned into bloodbaths. Worse yet, every new "tool" to put into our "tool box" eventually becomes perverted into some kind of dashboard for "leadership" to beat us over the heads with. Following up on the latter point, there are now WAY too many metrics to keep track of, without the added headcount to do it (reference absorbing Comex and remaining headcount neutral- thanks for that). We are essentially left playing Whack-a-Mole with whatever we feel is going to be senior leadership's flavor of the month metric. Metaphorically speaking, we are trying to fight a 21st century war using largely mid-20th century equipment. We are far from state-of-the-art and cutting edge, and capital budgets, relative to what should be or needs to be done, are prohibitive. Budget expectations and justifications have become dictated from the top down. Why are we still going through this process if upper management will not listen to the justification and concerns of the folks "in the trenches"? Legitimate concerns are being ignored or skirted because of folks being afraid of the word "no". I feel for those taking the helm over the next 3-5 years. I don't feel that they have been put in a position to succeed given the priority we have placed meeting the expectations of "the Street".

Advice to Management

Why are we spending millions upon millions buying back stock (with permissions to buyback another 3M shares) over the last several years while we still have facilities with leaking roofs and largely 30+ year old equipment? Why don't we start focusing on the longevity of this company instead of the short-term projections and opinions of Wall Street analysts? There is pretty much an expectation these days that if we are on a call with executive leadership, that someone's job will be verbally threatened. Is this how we motivate now? Lastly, going back several years, this company had consecutive years of being nationally recognized as being one of the best places to work. What has happened recently?

3. How can you not love SW

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

Outstanding company culture, commitment to the employee with work/life balance, and comprehensive compensation/benefits package. Very impressed with SW's support of local organizations, globally.

Cons

Too many layers of middle management.

Advice to Management

Communication from the top down is lax, but this is not uncommon for such a large corporation.

5. Senior Analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back company that is doing very well! Good benefits and pay.

Cons

Some politics between other teams.

6. Wonderful Company

Current Intern - IT Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Current Intern - IT Intern in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work to life balance, good pay, lots of professional experience and responsibility.

Cons

Downtown Cleveland, traffic and you have to pay for parking.

7. Good company, mediocre benefits

Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has the right view moving forward; direct reflection on stock price.

Cons

Job descriptions can change which makes it difficult to stay focused.

8. Good to learn industry basics, not much else

Former Employee - Scientist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Scientist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time

Pros

Good place to learn industry basics.

Cons

No good long term path for scientists. Way too many middle managers which do nothing but create problems. Abuse from middle management caused suicide at my location.

Advice to Management

Get rid of useless middle management. Treat scientists with pay and respect, nut useless rewards created by middle management.

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for young professionals with good pay and benefits. Opportunities for career growth are endless.

Cons

Corporate Headquarters is located in Cleveland, OH - it's a very sketchy city that can be scary if walking alone to your car after work.

Advice to Management

Find a way to offer more executive positions at regional offices so people don't have to compromise their career goals in order to move away from the HQ location.

10. Help Implement Oracle WMS throughout entire company on a global spectrum.

Current Intern - Oracle Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Intern - Oracle Business Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, Good chance of being hired after internship and learn a lot.

Cons

Hard to get into company, very good to know some one who already works for them

11. Great company, Top-notch, respected CEO

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams (More than 5 years)

Pros

Advancement, opportunity to run your own store, great people on a peer level and middle management. Fantastic training ground for your career.

Cons

Some people have been at SW forever. Can be staid and old fashioned at times. Some in upper management belong to the "men's club" - exclusive and untouchable.

Showing 88 of 1,191 reviews