Sherwin-Williams

www.sherwin-williams.com

Sherwin-Williams Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Sherwin-Williams – Dallas – “store location”

Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor

Christopher M. Connor

Pros
  • Opportunities for advancement as far as you want to go(in 38 reviews)

• Sherwin Williams is a growing company and has great benefits(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance, upper management out of touch with store level(in 38 reviews)

• Upper management can be tough depending on the stores sales and profit(in 75 reviews)

Okay for first job out of college

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are great and pay is great for right out of college. Training is good in the beginning.

ConsUpper managers have lost touch with what it is like to run a store. They extend hours without giving more hours to be worked. Rules are different for different stores and getting cussed out by upper management is a given if your numbers aren't perfect. The best job in the company is an assistant manager, past that the pay is horrible for hours worked, your not given help when you need it and they expect the manager to work all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your managers. Every market is different and learn to say good job instead of focusing solely on numbers. Treat everyone like a person not like their P&L. This company has lost touch with everything but what it says on stock price and paper.

Good Launching Point

Management Training Program (MTP) (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsPrepared and motivated you to get ready for your next experience. The staff was generally friendly as well.

ConsShort staff, rolling hours, working by yourself, impatient/cheap contractors, low pay. Also depending on your area you may just end up being a "color consultant" for your retail customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the job more engaging to your managers. Mixing paint and picking colors isnt the most glamorous job to a college grad.

MTP Program

ProsGet to meet contractors from all walks of life, decent pay, good bonuses as long as long as you make budget

Consno work/life balance, upper management out of touch with store level

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Ol' Boys Club

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsFlex time is nice. Salary is competitive. Benefits are great.

ConsIt is very hard to climb the ladder if you're not a "chosen one". I've seen several people come in at an entry to mid level position and surpass tenured employees into management positions (across several departments). The tenured employees that aren't getting promoted all have one thing in common -- and by the title of this review, you could take a guess as to what that one common denominator is.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider promoting people in a fair manner.

Very Demanding. Work - Life Balance??? High never-ending Sales Pressure.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood training. Many opportunities for advancement.

ConsLost concern for employees, lost positive culture; Constantly pushing for more on the backs of employees; Constant pressure to hit expectations. No employee empowerment. Never enough employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Customer Service is as important as SW preaches, invest in more people inside store to provide the better customer service and relieve the stress on the employees. This will allow employees to feel like they are doing a better job as well. Would also improve work-life balance and employee happiness in the organization.

Frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits and thats about it.

ConsWorking weekends. Limited ability for promotion if you're not willing to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees input.

great for a job fresh out of college, but typical corporate BS becomes too much

Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat to gain experience with a large, established sales company, or in my case, open my eyes to what has become the norm for a career in retail.

ConsStores are ALWAYS understaffed - district managers seem to focus on pinching pennies at the expensive of the employees. This creates an atmosphere of employees feeling far from refreshed and energetic.
    Managers are expected to work 48 hours a week and assistants 44/week. Hard to have a life outside because of the hour requirements.
    Management at the district and higher levels are simply yes men, passing along ideas that are usually out of touch with individual store operation and customer base.
    Only closed 4 days a year, a real slap in the face to Holidays such as July 4, Labor Day, etc.
    They claim high level of value and culture, but it's a cover for typical corporate greed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to truly know the differences in your stores and people. Simply taking a one size fits all approach is naive.
    Stop treating employees like pawns or tools for you to increase your bonus. Ultimately, your employees are the ones that allow you to buy all the frivolous things in your life. At least make an effort to show that they are valuable and not just a pawn for your financial gain and corporate growth.
    Greed is a terrible thing. Give your employees the time they need to refresh from a very stressful and demanding job at the store level. And try doing it with actual sincerity, if possible.

Great Experience

Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIt's an ok company to work for. You learn a lot. Good benefits.

ConsNo Overtime hours, short staffed stores. You can expect a store full of customers by yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanagement is not the way to go. Sometimes just go to the stores, make the workers feel appreciated and not have them feeling like they are just an employee and nothing more.

Overall, had a decent experience at this job

Intern (Current Employee) Lawton, OK

ProsPlenty of hours available, great benefits

ConsThey don't have competitive pay for the amount of work put forth

Advice to Senior Managementincrease salary

Great learning experience but more con's than pros

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Duncan, OK

ProsThey people I work with are great and we all get along so well. I've learned a lot and continue to do so.

ConsI get handed most of the work because of my knowledge of all the products and can match stains and colors to a t but yet they don't want to pay me any thing more or make me full time. Not a Good place to grow and move up unless you plan on being there for the rest of your life to wait for the opportunity. The company is greedy and to controlling. They expect way to much of their employees for little reward

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making us work Sundays! Its a waste of time and money for the employees. The most customers we will have is seven for the day. And being open on 4th of July is a little ridiculous and is un american. And we can't control our AC that's taking it a little to far. In my opinion the company is greedy and to controlling and expect way to much out of their employees for little reward

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!