Sherwin-Williams

www.sherwin-williams.com

Sherwin-Williams Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014
Sherwin-Williams – Dallas – “store location”

Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor

Christopher M. Connor

Pros
  • Opportunities for advancement as far as you want to go(in 39 reviews)

• Sherwin Williams is a growing company and has great benefits(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance, upper management out of touch with store level(in 38 reviews)

• Upper management can be tough depending on the stores sales and profit(in 75 reviews)

Great learning experience if just coming out of college, also very prestigious company. Well branded!

ProsLearn a little bit about a lot. You make cold calls, ride with various types of sales reps. Expand your knowledge of paint which surprisingly is a great industry to work for. Pay is good for internship!

ConsToo many videos that are out dated and repetitive.

Loved it

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Whiteville, NC

ProsCompetitive pay, growth potential, low number of employees, 401k match

ConsWork weekends, may work alone, low employee number so more responsibiliy

Wonderful experience working for Sherwin Williams

Senior IT Analyst/Developer (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGood work life balance, benefits were outstanding, vacation accrual was the best I've experienced, the culture was fantastic people were wonderful to work with

ConsPay was disappointing, across the street from the casino

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Start, Company Turned for the worst

Third Key (Former Employee)

ProsGreat retail experience. Tons of knowledge to gain. Pay was at par. Good experience while attending college.

ConsCompany culture went down the drain. Lay offs, reduced employees per store, increased store hours, all while denying any form of overtime. Managers are salary based so they can get away with it. Plus they are turning store employees and managers into sales representatives by requiring so many calls to customers per week and monitored like a hawk, which can be VERY difficult when required sometimes working a store by yourself due to said changes. With a "no excuse" attitude, and claiming stores are "properly staffed", which they are not, they no longer care about their employees. Very disappointed with the changes over the years.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour store employees and managers are the front lines of making your "bottom line" higher and better. Make them happy and your profits will increase. Focus on customer service, NOT sales tactics and overburdening tasks, especially when stores are so short staffed, and they ARE short staffed.

Great Experience

Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIt's an ok company to work for. You learn a lot. Good benefits.

ConsNo Overtime hours, short staffed stores. You can expect a store full of customers by yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanagement is not the way to go. Sometimes just go to the stores, make the workers feel appreciated and not have them feeling like they are just an employee and nothing more.

great for a job fresh out of college, but typical corporate BS becomes too much

Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat to gain experience with a large, established sales company, or in my case, open my eyes to what has become the norm for a career in retail.

ConsStores are ALWAYS understaffed - district managers seem to focus on pinching pennies at the expensive of the employees. This creates an atmosphere of employees feeling far from refreshed and energetic.
    Managers are expected to work 48 hours a week and assistants 44/week. Hard to have a life outside because of the hour requirements.
    Management at the district and higher levels are simply yes men, passing along ideas that are usually out of touch with individual store operation and customer base.
    Only closed 4 days a year, a real slap in the face to Holidays such as July 4, Labor Day, etc.
    They claim high level of value and culture, but it's a cover for typical corporate greed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to truly know the differences in your stores and people. Simply taking a one size fits all approach is naive.
    Stop treating employees like pawns or tools for you to increase your bonus. Ultimately, your employees are the ones that allow you to buy all the frivolous things in your life. At least make an effort to show that they are valuable and not just a pawn for your financial gain and corporate growth.
    Greed is a terrible thing. Give your employees the time they need to refresh from a very stressful and demanding job at the store level. And try doing it with actual sincerity, if possible.

Great learning experience but more con's than pros

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Duncan, OK

ProsThey people I work with are great and we all get along so well. I've learned a lot and continue to do so.

ConsI get handed most of the work because of my knowledge of all the products and can match stains and colors to a t but yet they don't want to pay me any thing more or make me full time. Not a Good place to grow and move up unless you plan on being there for the rest of your life to wait for the opportunity. The company is greedy and to controlling. They expect way to much of their employees for little reward

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making us work Sundays! Its a waste of time and money for the employees. The most customers we will have is seven for the day. And being open on 4th of July is a little ridiculous and is un american. And we can't control our AC that's taking it a little to far. In my opinion the company is greedy and to controlling and expect way to much out of their employees for little reward

Corporate controls everything.

ProsOnly open 13 hours a day so you only have to work 16.

ConsUpper Management is not in touch.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to run a store.

Over demanding

Marketing (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGood salary and benefits, stock price

ConsManagement does have a pulse on the market

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to customers

Long Hours and Over work

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe company does hired from with-in, if you willing to drink the Kool-Aid. The pay is fair from Assistant manager and up.

ConsHard-work and having good working ethic is not always rewarded. Corporate America politics. They stay 48 hour for Store manager but it turn into 50 plus because you are not given to staff to equip store properly.

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!