Sherwin-Williams

www.sherwin-williams.com

Sherwin-Williams Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Sherwin-Williams – Dallas – “store location”

Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor

Christopher M. Connor

Pros
  • Opportunities for advancement as far as you want to go(in 38 reviews)

• Sherwin Williams is a growing company and has great benefits(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance, upper management out of touch with store level(in 38 reviews)

• Upper management can be tough depending on the stores sales and profit(in 75 reviews)

Long Hours and Over work

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe company does hired from with-in, if you willing to drink the Kool-Aid. The pay is fair from Assistant manager and up.

ConsHard-work and having good working ethic is not always rewarded. Corporate America politics. They stay 48 hour for Store manager but it turn into 50 plus because you are not given to staff to equip store properly.

Crew Laborer for Student Painters

Crew Laborer (Former Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsMindless, easy work if you know what you are doing.

ConsBoss had little to no knowledge of painting houses. Supplies, and safety was little to none.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to know what your intern managers know about painting houses.

Great company with great products. But in my personal experience bad management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFrequent training, good benefits, 401k, dental and health insurance. paid vacation. Great opportunity to learn how to build rapport with customers/accounts.

ConsI personally felt the training was very seldom beneficial. Working weekends often. Open 7 days a week. Long hours. Must have an interest in paint in my opinion otherwise you will not enjoy it. (not that the products are not good but must have a desire to care about learning about paint otherwise you will not enjoy)

Advice to Senior ManagementAttempt to create less "busy" work for management and let us do our jobs and create new business for our stores.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

3rd Key Manager

Third Key (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsDecent pay, as well as opportunity of promotion if you have a degree.

ConsOver worked!!! Basically you are the clean up guy if you aren't the store manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training for lower level employees..

Excellent Company

ProsGreat work environment and excellent career start

ConsDifficulty moving into better positions

Good company!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThis company really wants to promote those who want to promote themselves. They have wonderful resources to help with any problem that may come your way.

ConsHard to move up unless you start in the Management Training Program. You are usually doing more work than you are compensated for.

Good company.

ProsExcellent benefits. Good pay. Promotion opportunities. Ability to move up fast.

ConsMust be willing to relocate for management opportunities and growth. Some store managers refuse to work weekends or nights. Upper management can be tough depending on the stores sales and profit.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexibility in price quoting. Less micromanaging from upper management. Weekend hours are a little strange due to competing with big box stores.

Chemist Intern

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsVery generous pay for interns; very nice working peers as well as management. You actually get a lot of experiences in QC/R&D that will be beneficial for future career.

ConsHeavy lifting required sometimes, so not a very ideal place for female chemists or short people in general. Also, there will be unpleasant smell (from the paint) that cannot be avoided.

good place

Web Engineer (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsVery good mentor , good work atmosphere , Very like it!!!!!!!!!!

ConsGood place to make work and life balance, not good for young people

Former Intern, Current Associate, Soon-To-Be MTP

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsI have been with the company coming up on a year- I was an intern at Sherwin last summer and am a current sales associate that is starting the management training program (MTP) in about a month upon graduation from college, a program that trains you and places you in an assistant manager position in a store upon a position opening. My training store for the internship and soon-to-be MTP is in Saratoga Springs, I get part-time hours at school in the Oneonta store, had gotten some hours over a break from school in the Schenectady store, and have visited several other stores.

Sherwin has a very relaxed work environment and good corporate culture compared to other companies I've worked for (I previously worked in a supermarket in food service for years). The company invests big time in training and recruiting its people- my co-workers are very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Management in most stores I've been at is very strong and heavily customer-service focused. With well-trained and oftentimes experienced co-workers and management you'll never have much trouble solving problems for a customer. The company also utilizes knowledge hotlines that employ experienced live people on the other end that ensure you'll always be able to find the right answer to a customer issue.

Though I yet don't know of all the career opportunities at Sherwin I have learned about some of my managers' career paths with the company, and it appears that there is quite a bit of room for movement and advancement if you apply yourself. Many of the upper-level managers I've talked to have been interns, management trainees, assistant and store managers, sales reps, sales managers, and more. It is very common to be working with people (especially management) that have been with company 10+ years, which to me is a pretty strong testament to how the company treats dedicated employees. I have met managers that have been happily employed with the company for over 30 years, including my own grandfather who was a Sherwin store manager for over 30 years before he passed away.

As a sales associate I am paid a decent hourly rate and get enough hours, but have been offered a fair and much better, salaried pay out-of- school as a management trainee that is paired with supposed strong options for a benefits package that include retirement options such as 401k and a company-paid pension, different employee stock options, and your usual medical/dental etc. I work with a manager that explained how he initially wanted his job at SW primarily for the strong benefits. The pay and benefits supposedly get much better as you lengthen your stay with the company and move up towards store and district management. I have been told by managers that raises and career advancement in the company are very performance-based and driven.

Overall, I am very happy with my current employment at SW and really look forward to developing my skills further with the upcoming training and hope to be an assistant manager within the year and see where it goes from there. I have already made many friends in the company and don't mind waking up for work. I strongly suggest to anyone (especially college students) even considering getting involved with the company to try and get an internship with SW and have fun with it and ask lots of questions, but also take it seriously- it was an excellent learning/growing experience and is highly recommended for anyone thinking about aiming for a management position at some point in the company as it gets you prepared for work and training in a Sherwin store, cuts the training time for the MTP, and makes you much more attractive in the interview process for the MTP. So far, SW has been a great company to work for.

Cons-Promotions and hiring for management positions is done overwhelmingly from the inside of SW, which to some that are not employees of SW and trying to get involved in management with the company may be discouraging. The MTP program has gotten more competitive in the past few years and I believe to even apply for MTP nowadays a 4-year bachelor's degree preferably with a business background is required so that's another factor. If you don't have a college degree you can absolutely get involved with SW and be a driver or a sales associate and maybe some other positions I'm unaware of but I'd imagine it would be much more difficult to work your way up in the company without former formal education.

-Sometimes proper staffing can be an issue in smaller-volume stores during big sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to know more of the steps I should be taking to ensure I end up in an assistant manager position after I complete the management training program.

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!