Sherwin-Williams

Updated November 20, 2014
3.5

Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor
Christopher M. Connor

Pros
  • Many opportunities for advancement (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits, opportunity for advancement if willing to move (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • the work life balance sucks to since they are keeping stores open later and later (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management keep putting the wrong people in leadership positions (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved it there

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bonita Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bonita Springs, FL

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really loved everything about Sherwin. The company culture, the friendly employees, the nice customers/contractors, the benefits, opportunity for growth, etc. You can have it all at Sherwin. You will most likely have to work your way up to a position that you love but I think thats a pro, the company prefers to promote from within rather than hiring from the outside. Really the only time you'll see an outside person come into management is throughout the trainee program but their purpose for those college grads is to move up to high positions of responsibility. You may come across a hard to get along manager here and there but that happens in any business, overall it's genuinely nice people working there that are willing to help you grow.

Cons

The only thing I remember disliking in the store is the extension in store hours… but then again its still a lot earlier than most retail jobs.

Engaging company environment

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (less than an year)

Pros

company will give you all the support you need and will invest heavily in your development.

Cons

very hard to establish good relationships with managers.

Get better strings attached with your employees. You need to set a better example of teambuilding and teamwork.

So far so good

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

A few years ago I did the internship program at Sherwin. I enjoyed my experience and would recommend it for other college students.
    I did not continue to work for SW after the internship, but a few years later I applied for the management training program through a college career fair. I have been working part time at an SW store for the past 8 months and will start the MTP after graduation next month.
    Overall my experiences have been really positive. I like the people I work with and it's a great part time job. There are times when you have to work alone during slower times (Sunday's), but I like that I am trusted to run the store. Being a female at Sherwin has it's pros and cons, but it's all about your attitude. Some contractors may find it difficult to trust you at first, but knowledge is power and SW has a lot of resources, and a great women's networking program/community. Pay, benefits, 401k and pension are good. They also seem to be fairly flexible with schedules.

Cons

As I mentioned above being a woman in a male dominated industry can be difficult, but Sherwin does make a good effort to help the women at this company feel empowered. Most of the cons come from working with contractors. They can be difficult at times, but what annoys me most are the "pet names". I'll be called hun, sweetheart, sweetie, etc. many times throughout the day (by customers). Luckily, I work with a great team and my manager or assistant manager will step in when they can clearly see that I'm uncomfortable.
    The calls are another con. Each store has multiple outside sales reps who make a lot of outgoing calls to contractors, but the stores are still required to make 60 calls a week to contractors. I just feel as though this is redundant, and from what I've seen most stores struggle to hit that 60 mark each week. I think 20 to 25 calls to key opportunity accounts would be more appropriate.

Rethink the effectiveness of lead generation in the stores, and consider closing the stores earlier on Sundays.

Wonderful experience at Sherwin-Williams as a Summer Intern in their Breen Technology Center

Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Was able to network with upper management, good pay, vacation privileges as long as it was worked out with your mentor, had hands on work that truly made a difference to the company.

Cons

The commute was not great (45 minute drive) no gas compensation.

Possibly hold two breakfast sessions with management, one at the beginning and one at the end of the experience.

Review

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly customers, great location, coffee available to both employees and customers.

Cons

Working with inventory at multiple-locations, at times products were unavailable.

A diverse staff can always be more helpful to customers

assistant mgr

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Upward mobility is great. you get benefits

Cons

Must like the industry and working longer hours

Larger percentage of quarterly bonus

Great company!

Former Employee - Supply Chain
    Former Employee - Supply Chain

I worked at Sherwin-Williams as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The team I worked with was awesome. Great chemistry, easy going, and very funny! Good opportunities to move on up the chain.

Cons

Decent pay, could've been higher as an intern.

Good Company. Not great but good.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are great most of the time.

Cons

Give you plenty of opportunities if you are smart but pay is low for the bay area.

Pay your employees what they are worth not what you wanna pay them.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Intern in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company with many opportunities and they truly value their employees and customers.

Cons

They could pay the employees better and you have to know someone in order to get into the company.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Potential for advancement! Great work/life balance. Bonus is nice if your team is on the same page.

Cons

Some management can be lazy which can hurt the store you work at.

Look after lazy managers and replace if needed.

Sherwin-Williams Photos