Sherwin-Williams

Updated October 1, 2014
3.5

Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor
Christopher M. Connor

Pros
  • Many opportunities for advancement (in 42 reviews)

• Very good benefits in the company, great co-workers within the store (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • the work life balance sucks to since they are keeping stores open later and later (in 42 reviews)

• Upper management (above the district level) is somewhat disconnected from the behavior of contractors (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Sherwin-Williams as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Paid 10 Internship; Learned a lot & gained business experience. Was offered a management job upon graduation. The company overall has great values and a large market share.

Cons

There wasn't mush room for fast growth. The people in management positions were not happy with the way they were treated by district and communicated they were not planning on working for the company much longer. Not the best pay. Retail environment.

Great job for hands on paint lover

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay for a recent grad. As well as benefits. My particular store manager is excellent! No two store are the same so no two experiences are the same. You will learn a lot about paint, how it's made, application, and various other random things that customers bring to your attention. There is room for advancement, although this could take awhile. If your store meets its budget quarterly and annually, the bonuses are very good. Build relationships with customers because most are regulars, and you know each other on a first name basis.

Cons

MT programs has good intentions but falls short on preparation, especially in becoming an assistant manager. The work-life balance at my store was horrible, considering we were understaffed and the DM didn't care to help with that. Store hours are long and include Saturday and Sunday. I would work 10 days straight at times just to cover all the hours that the store is open. Customers are high maintenance and often leave you stressed.

I would give the MT program another look, especially where training on how to manage employees who are older and know way more. Also, if you know that stores in your district are understaffed, STAFF THEM!

Decent employer

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent co-workers, fun environment and plenty of upward mobility

Cons

The work-life balance is a little off, as management is expected to work anywhere from 44 hours as an Assistant Manager, up to 60 hours for Store Managers. Also, expect to move out of state every couple of years as you are promoted.

Oh, as usual, middle management of a huge, global corporation could always use more personal touch when dealing with people, rather than just looking as the numbers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Key Holder

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team environment, lots of room for promotions, great pay.

Cons

Training from district or corporate is kind of phony, you learn the most by listening to other people do their jobs and catch on that way.

Another great summer internship

Former Employee - Store Intern  in  Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Store Intern in Dublin, CA

I worked at Sherwin-Williams as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Sherwin-Williams provided me with an excellent training program. I worked hand in hand with my store manager and district manager.

Cons

The internship position was not very different from a regular store employee. The only difference was a intern project that I worked on with other interns in the area. The hours were also limited to 25 hours per week.

Management Intern

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

The culture of the company is awesome. There is a lot of personal growth and the training was great.

Cons

I didn't really get to follow my intern book at all

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Alamogordo, NM
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Alamogordo, NM

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Fantastic Support
    -Company wants its employees to succeed
    -Great compensation
    -Great Training

Cons

Worked in a district where rules were unevenly enforced.

enforce rules evenly across all employees.

Solid company, good work life balance, started on the lower end of avg for college grad with engineering degree

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros

very solid company with good outlook. work life balance was good. There were some 60 hr weeks but thats not unheard of most of the time 45 - 50 hr weeks. Office culture was a little older and conservative but employees had been there for 10+ years so thats to be expected. (This was at manufacturing facility)

Cons

starting salary was lower end of the spectrum for their new hires. following this model pay raises etc will be below industry standard moving forward in your career. best to try to negotiate a higher starting salary. HR can be petty at times.

provide more training to shift management in order to help develop.

Sherwin-Williams treats me well, providing reliable pay and merit based raises and a challenging, rewarding environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Butler, PA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time for more than a year

Pros

As a key holding Sales-Associate, you rapidly gain knowledge of how to perform basic retail tasks and develop good phone skills, organization, and customer relations abilities. The responsibilities involved with the paint stores group are more than a typical retail environment and involve being able to reliably modify the product (tint paint, color match, etc) and with this extra responsibility comes a great learning opportunity for household skills that are helpful no matter your future plans. In addition to this, the company's nature allows them to be flexible with hours and location, and there is plenty of opportunity for advancement, as a very large majority of employees at the management level and above are hired from within the company. Even as a part time employee, I still receive 40 vacation hours per year to be used at my discretion; I'm also usually able to take any day off provided I give around 2 weeks notice so that my absence can be scheduled around.

Cons

The number one challenge of working in a Sherwin-Williams store is the large learning curve associated with the type of products sold. Don't expect to work for less than six months before becoming accustomed to and comfortable with product knowledge and conveying the necessary information to customers to sell them the products they need. Serving painters and DIYers can be challenging as well: Most complain about pricing of products, many of them assume that you don't know what you're talking about and will ask your advice on a project, only to immediately write it off and go with what they think they know instead.
    Aside from that, the stores are understaffed due to strict budgeting at the corporate level, so it's not uncommon to have to deal with many tasks and customers while being assisted by only 1 or 2 other employees. Along the same lines as the corporatization, it takes a long time to get anything processed within the company. For example, I received a yearly appraisal on May 26th that included a pay raise, but I have yet to receive the back-dated pay that the company has promised me.

Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

No later than 7pm on the weekday. Good benefits. Solid Pay

Cons

Weekends, Heavy Lifting, Politics, pay is not as much as the work you put into managment. solid company

Sherwin-Williams Photos

store location

+ Add Photo

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!