Sherwin-Williams
www.sherwin-williams.com Cleveland, OH 5000+ Employees

Sherwin-Williams Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Sherwin-Williams – Dallas – “store location”

Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor

Christopher M. Connor

Pros:
  • "Opportunities for advancement as far as you want to go"
    in 37 reviews
  • "Very good benefits in the company, great co-workers within the store"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance, it's still a "good ole' boys club", unrealistic budgets"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Upper management (above the district level) is somewhat disconnected from the behavior of contractors"
    in 71 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sherwin-Williams has many opportunities for recent graduates to move up in the company. They also provide great benefit.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

Pros- Benefits: 401K, Pension, Higher Education Reimbursement, etc.
    - Opportunities to move up and advance your career
    - Ability to transfer almost anywhere

ConsProduct knowledge can be very challenging, but it's important to know that there are many resources to help.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees in lower positions, but who have a great deal of experience, on things that can be improved at the store level

Great Company

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsReally like working here. Good pay especially for right out of college. Clear goals, great chance for advancement and Upper management is extremely accessible. They teach you to do the job they want to do. Upper management is very involved in your success. If you do your job right and try you will move forward.

ConsUnrealistic Goals and work life balance can get out of whack do to not enough employees per store.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop opening new stores and put more employees into the store.

Loved this place,

Interior Products Specialist (Current Employee)
    Madison, WI

ProsIt's Paint & Decorating, how happy can that be? Everyone I've met working there is happy. The only reason I left was due to personal issues, or I'd have worked hard for SW for a very long time.

ConsLong intensive hiring process is a tradition at SW, but I guess that's what it takes to make a great team of co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful experience working for Sherwin Williams

Senior IT Analyst/Developer (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsGood work life balance, benefits were outstanding, vacation accrual was the best I've experienced, the culture was fantastic people were wonderful to work with

ConsPay was disappointing, across the street from the casino

good place

Web Engineer (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsVery good mentor , good work atmosphere , Very like it!!!!!!!!!!

ConsGood place to make work and life balance, not good for young people

Learned a lot of business skills while working at Sherwin-Williams

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI like working with my co-workers and customers. Easy to balance life and work.

ConsSometimes lack of leadership and personal growth can be an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more training programs to advance our knowledge in this industry.

Great company if you have the time

Sles Associate (Current Employee)
    Melbourne, FL

ProsEasy job, great training, not required to work too much.

Conscustomers talk to you like you are a low life. It can be a long day in a paint store. It takes too long to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is awesome.

Former Intern, Current Associate, Soon-To-Be MTP

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Saratoga Springs, NY

ProsI have been with the company coming up on a year- I was an intern at Sherwin last summer and am a current sales associate that is starting the management training program (MTP) in about a month upon graduation from college, a program that trains you and places you in an assistant manager position in a store upon a position opening. My training store for the internship and soon-to-be MTP is in Saratoga Springs, I get part-time hours at school in the Oneonta store, had gotten some hours over a break from school in the Schenectady store, and have visited several other stores.

Sherwin has a very relaxed work environment and good corporate culture compared to other companies I've worked for (I previously worked in a supermarket in food service for years). The company invests big time in training and recruiting its people- my co-workers are very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Management in most stores I've been at is very strong and heavily customer-service focused. With well-trained and oftentimes experienced co-workers and management you'll never have much trouble solving problems for a customer. The company also utilizes knowledge hotlines that employ experienced live people on the other end that ensure you'll always be able to find the right answer to a customer issue.

Though I yet don't know of all the career opportunities at Sherwin I have learned about some of my managers' career paths with the company, and it appears that there is quite a bit of room for movement and advancement if you apply yourself. Many of the upper-level managers I've talked to have been interns, management trainees, assistant and store managers, sales reps, sales managers, and more. It is very common to be working with people (especially management) that have been with company 10+ years, which to me is a pretty strong testament to how the company treats dedicated employees. I have met managers that have been happily employed with the company for over 30 years, including my own grandfather who was a Sherwin store manager for over 30 years before he passed away.

As a sales associate I am paid a decent hourly rate and get enough hours, but have been offered a fair and much better, salaried pay out-of- school as a management trainee that is paired with supposed strong options for a benefits package that include retirement options such as 401k and a company-paid pension, different employee stock options, and your usual medical/dental etc. I work with a manager that explained how he initially wanted his job at SW primarily for the strong benefits. The pay and benefits supposedly get much better as you lengthen your stay with the company and move up towards store and district management. I have been told by managers that raises and career advancement in the company are very performance-based and driven.

Overall, I am very happy with my current employment at SW and really look forward to developing my skills further with the upcoming training and hope to be an assistant manager within the year and see where it goes from there. I have already made many friends in the company and don't mind waking up for work. I strongly suggest to anyone (especially college students) even considering getting involved with the company to try and get an internship with SW and have fun with it and ask lots of questions, but also take it seriously- it was an excellent learning/growing experience and is highly recommended for anyone thinking about aiming for a management position at some point in the company as it gets you prepared for work and training in a Sherwin store, cuts the training time for the MTP, and makes you much more attractive in the interview process for the MTP. So far, SW has been a great company to work for.

Cons-Promotions and hiring for management positions is done overwhelmingly from the inside of SW, which to some that are not employees of SW and trying to get involved in management with the company may be discouraging. The MTP program has gotten more competitive in the past few years and I believe to even apply for MTP nowadays a 4-year bachelor's degree preferably with a business background is required so that's another factor. If you don't have a college degree you can absolutely get involved with SW and be a driver or a sales associate and maybe some other positions I'm unaware of but I'd imagine it would be much more difficult to work your way up in the company without former formal education.

-Sometimes proper staffing can be an issue in smaller-volume stores during big sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to know more of the steps I should be taking to ensure I end up in an assistant manager position after I complete the management training program.

I love working at Sherwin-Williams! They treat me very well and pay pretty well for a first time job out of college.

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThey start you off with a pretty good salary. I have been with the company for a little over a year and have already been promoted to a store manager. I have a great work/life balance. I just develop relationships with the customers and make sure that they keep on coming back. On top of a good salary you can earn bonus money and the better the sales the better the bonus money!

ConsI can honestly say that I do not have any cons to my job. They give me the whole store to myself and I operate it with my Assistant Manager and my part-time employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management does not really bother you unless the numbers are really bad. In any case they shouldn't be though unless you give crappy service to your customers. In which they do not want to shop in your store.

I love my job.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

ProsExcellent company, genuinely cares. SW wants you to grow, to move up the ladder and gives you the tools and incentives to do it. Pleasant coworkers and positive work environment.

ConsI would rather not ever have to work weekends, but I do understand why we must be available to our customers on those days.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have more knowledge of opportunities for personal growth

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sherwin-Williams reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sherwin-Williams CEO Christopher M. Connor. All 733 reviews posted anonymously by Sherwin-Williams employees.