Sherwin-Williams Reviews

Reset
3.6
Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor
Christopher M. Connor

Pros
  • Many opportunities for advancement if you're willing to move (sometimes not too far) (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits, opportunity for advancement if willing to move (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge (in 43 reviews)

• Upper management promotes only those with college degree (in 84 reviews)

1,205 Employee Reviews

Sherwin-Williams, a place to start and build a career

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Managers helped me realize career goals by openly discussing the path that I was interested in. People are hired with future potential in mind, not just the job at hand. I had an extremely positive experience and would recommend working there to anyone. Although it is a huge corporatation it still feels like a family run business.

Cons

Many times in order to advance you must be open to relocate to a new city.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the communities in which you serve and make it more known about the Green Initiatives that the company is participating in because there are many.

A great place to work but no company is perfect

Current Employee - Store Manager in Paragould, AR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Paragould, AR

Pros

A great place for a self-motivated person to advance quickly. I have been with the company for 2.5 years and I am already a Store Manager and I have seen some people move even faster. Working for Sherwin Williams has been very challenging in a good way. You are requried to learn something just about everyday. Another great part is the amount of support they provide the people in the stores, any employee as experts they can call and books to review to answer any question possible. For a person just out of college who wants a more active career this is a great choice.

Cons

The biggest down side that I have seen since I have been with SW is that they have a problem with so many ineffective people being promoted or retaining jobs in middle management. Another downside to SW is the fact that Store importance is directly related to distance from the district office. This becomes an issue when it come to customer complaints and geting large projects off the ground. One small down side the the importance that upper management places on bonuses being used to supplement salary. I believe that a bonus is just that a bonus and my salary sould not be linked together.

Advice to Management

They need to match their overall goals to what they implement in the field. What we are given and what is expected seem to be from two different business strateges

Sherwin-Williams a great place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Warsaw, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Warsaw, IN

Pros

Sherwin Williams has a positive corporate culture and through education assistance is willing to give you the skills to become what you would like to be. I have had great mentoring from individuals in the company and that has been invaluable in making career path decisions. We have some of the best benefits regarding 401K and pension contribution. Additionally they have excellent training which is provided in a scheduled manner to make sure that everyone has the up to date information. We also have cutting edge technology which facilitates the sales process.

Cons

There is very little downside.

Advice to Management

Each business segment is different some of the strategies that implement very well in one division may not cross over well into the others.

5. Sherwin-Williams - A great place to work!

Current Employee - PC/LAN Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - PC/LAN Analyst in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Working at Sherwin-Willams HQ, job security is excellent overall. They are also fairly flexible with schedules and provide reimbursement for certifications and college coursework - both of which are often important to young professionals as well as managers looking to advance thru MBA programs. On the business side, the culture is very lean and efficient, while on the IT side things are run much like a mom and pop shop at times - this allows a lot of freedom and leeway in how you accomplish goals and learn new things. People are generally warm and open to answering questions and sharing their knowledge.

Cons

Sherwin-Williams is an old fashioned manufacturing company. They are an enormous global enterprise. With those things naturally comes baggage like bureaucracy and resistance to change - a lot of processes are in place to provide organization and control. Though these often help in providing a consistent environment across the enterprise, they also often hinder new exciting benefits and getting seemingly simple tasks pushed through the system. You won't find the flexibility or total freedom you find working for smaller employers. In summary, they are somewhat monolithic in their standards and old-fashioned in their procedures - you will need to be able to work within these corporate traits in order to successfully move things forward and impact change in the enterprise in the future.

Advice to Management

I would recommend they reduce middle-management - occasionally middle management is a barrier between upper management and workers which prevents ideas and improvements from bubbling to the top. If done right, our corporate agility and flexibility could be improved.

Sherwin-Williams: Where Hard Work Really Does Pay Off

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Working for Sherwin-Williams is like running your own company with someone else's money. You are given the trust and resources to make the decisions necessary to be successful. It takes an entrepreneurial spirit but the rewards are plentiful. Promotion from within is over 90%. It doesn't matter where you came from or who you know, what matters is hard work and performance. That's truly what gets you ahead here. Also, the benefits at SW are great: 401k, pension, medical, dental, vision, plus quarterly and annual bonuses. Performance pays.

Cons

Being spread out in retails stores does not always provide the comradery one might get in an office setting. You still get know people around you but there are rarely social events or after-work drinks. Additionally, working in our stores is quite physical. It's not a desk job, which is great, but it requires heavy lifting at times and constant movement. It's not a job for complacent or lazy people.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the future and develop people from within. These two areas are vital to success and you do a great job of both.

Great company with enough diversity that can withstand an economic recession.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Silverdale, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Silverdale, WA

Pros

The benefits that SW provides is the best in the industry. For 6% of your salary a year SW will match 6% on 401k and 6% into your pension fund. SW is all over the world, there are endless opportunities to travel and move to another part of the country if you so desire. You can support a store as a PT, FT, Asst Manager, Manager, Outside Sales Rep, Tech Rep, or If you don't want to work in a store you can work internal support. Accounting, Insides Sales, Labs, New Product Development, Testing, Color Resources, Computer Tech, Auditors, etc. We are diverse and will maintain in a economy that has seen better days. The bonus plans for store management is excellent if you can have a good year. If you work your tail off you can get compensated for all the hard work.

Cons

Base pay is lower then some paint companies. Getting some things done through corporate america can be a pain.

Advice to Management

Always remember that the stores group is the backbone of your company

TRYING TIMES WILL BRING OUT THE BEST OR WORST IN PEOPLE IF YOU ARE THE BEST APPLY WITHIN.....

Current Employee - INDEPENDENT DEALER CUSTOMER SERVICE Representative in Cleveland, OH

Pros

We at Sherwin are a family, a very big one! This company doesn't treat you simply as an employee but as much much more then then that. They/we treat each other as people. The benefits packages offered are by far better then other large companies I have worked for in the past. The career advancement possibilities are endless and limitless (I'm next in line for CEO, just kidding.) There is support available to you at any time to discuss your career path or research a new one. Because we are such a diverse international company the sky is the limit on opportunities. We grow stronger together.

Cons

Well as we all know we are entering a recession, mainly due to the housing markets being in the dumps, but Sherwin Williams as in other coating company's have been hit hard by this. Times are tough for all coating manufactures and they may continue to get worse before they get better. Back to topic it is becoming more difficult for people to come into our company right now, and I know there are those out there who are worried about loosing their jobs but we will survive and continue to prosper.

Advice to Management

Actually not much they are doing everything they can right now to help those under them pull though by sticking together.

America's Paint Company; Join us and take Charge of Your Career

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Waco, TX

Pros

I love working at Sherwin Williams because the career path is open to all within the company based on performance, and not necessarily Degree's attained. One can work in many areas of the company once onboard. For example, after completing the basic training in the Stores group, jobs in Accounting, IT, Chemistry, Human Resources, Marketing, or stay within the stores, and become Assistant Manager, and Manager of a multi-million dollar operation. District Level management opportunities abound for those geared toward Operational efficiency, Human Resource Management, and employee development. Sales management opportunities abound for those who are sales goal oriented, have developed good communication skills with customers, and those that can teach these skills effectively to their sales Representatives.

Cons

I would say that most of the employees who become dissatisfied with the company fall into two groups; Those that try to climb the ladder too fast and have not developed the skill sets necessary to fulfill the requirements of the position they applied for, they become too overwhelmed and do not see the benefit of listening to themselves and guiding themselves to the next step when they are truly ready. The other group of employees who get disillusioned with our company are those that plant themselves in positions that do not suit their particular skill sets and become fearful to switch positions.

Advice to Management

In these times of economic downturn, when we look at cost cutting; within the stores group; lets see if we can keep our store personnel intact, and not cut those crucial part time hours that are needed to keep our service level up. There are plenty of support positions that could be re-assigned to positions that directly support sales growth.

Sherwin-Williams: Great place to start a career.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC

Pros

Great training program for entry level sales people. Most promoting comes from within. It really depends on what district you work in, but I love working in the Washington DC area. Great flow of information from management to employees. As a sales rep, I have a lot of freedom to run my territory the way I choose as long as my numbers are good. Good base pay with uncapped earning potential. Even in this tough economy, SW still takes great care of their employees. A lot of the competition are laying off employees, while SW is giving raises and paying dividends.

Cons

Districts often compete with each other for business. Male dominated industry.

Advice to Management

I have truly enjoyed working with the management team in my district. They provide guidance and support without breathing down your neck.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Job security, opportunity for advancement, benefits are among the best in the industry. Time off is relatively easy to get when needed. SW is generally receptive to new ideas and continually updates its systems and processes.

Cons

Very large corporation - so rules and regulations are very general and can be frustrating to work around in certain circumstances.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to take some finacial risk in helping stores succeed. Cutbacks are understandable in this current climate - but be aware of customer needs. Wait in line or go to the competition? Think about more Sales Reps instead of fewer. Go after their customers!

Showing 1,205 of 1,261 reviews