Sherwin-Williams
www.sherwin-williams.com Cleveland, OH 5000+ Employees

Sherwin-Williams Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014
Sherwin-Williams – Dallas – “store location”

Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor

Christopher M. Connor

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, advancement opportunities and professional development"
    in 57 reviews
  • "Opportunities for advancement as far as you want to go"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance, it's still a "good ole' boys club", unrealistic budgets"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Upper management (above the district level) is somewhat disconnected from the behavior of contractors"
    in 63 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Part timers used to do the work manager and assistant don't want to do. Don't work here.

Tampa, FL

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCo workers are good people. Most of them hard workers. SOME customers are nice and easy to get along with. Relatively good pay compared to other part time jobs of similar requirements.

ConsGosh where do I begin. First of all, stores are ridiculously understaffed. For the size of this company and how profitable we are, why in the world do we only have 5 or less employees in a retail store? Stores that are open 12 hours a day Monday thru Friday and 8-10 hours on the weekends? They don't care if you go 8 hours without a break or going to the bathroom or eating. Also not a company you'll want to work for if you're a woman, especially if you have any semblance of self respect. God forbid you don't like being objectified by contractors/painters, if you say something they go crying to the store manager. And even though I've been working for the company twice as long as some of the men I work with no one thinks I have any product knowledge. If you ask for days off months in advance you most likely won't get it. (They'll tell you sure but then when the time comes they'll schedule anyways and you HAVE to be there.) Overall, horribly gender biased company, you'll work insane hours with no help and customers complaining about how you're "inefficient" when you're really just overwhelmed by working 12 hour days basically by yourself. Your reviews are dependent heavily on snobby rich homeowners who will whine about anything to get what they want. And because the managers are in charge if scheduling, they usually leave around 2 or 3 every day and take credit for the stores success even though they rarely leave the office. Oh, and if I get asked to clean the mens bathroom one more time I might snap. All the grunt work the manager and assistant manager don't want to do, they'll pile on you. (Like big orders, over 80 gallons, which no one should have to do by themselves.) Moral of the story, just save yourself the frustration of working here because you'll never do anything right in their eyes anyways.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging. I wish for once they'd hire someone for a DM or CM position whos actually run a store, because the people they hire have no clue and just don't get it. Sorry.

Horrible morale

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible schedule in the floorcovering side. Mon-Fri 7-5 are the hours.

ConsThe amount of negative behavior in the store in unbelievable and the DM allows it to continue happening. The salesman in our store only works about 4 hours per day while not being held accountable to the store manager, but by the sales manager which is 4 hours away. Sales are low (as they should be in our local area), yet we are being pushed to drop our margins (which is fine) but then after the 1st sale, raise them back to normal levels hoping the customer doesn't find out. There is not trust. Complaints made to the DM are then said back to the store manager and who filed the complaint making for a very uncomfortable situation. Upper management doesn't listen to the ground level employees. The computer system is 1982 Firefox and doesn't work worth a darn. The company uses satellite system instead of DSL. So when it's raining outside, forget working. There is no windows based system to be had. Unreasonable expectations from the DM to the store on what is needed. Goals are to be based on previous year sales, but that isn't happening and when calling them on it, they say that is what they expect and nothing less. What employee discount there is, is still more expensive than going to the other major big box industrial stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop living in your numbers game and listen to what is happening on the ground. Ride along with sales people and spend a day actually working in a branch and see what really happens so that you will understand why things are the way they are.

Work your tail off for nothing if your not in the "cool" group

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sherwin-Williams

ProsTaught me a lot about running a business without being the actual owner

ConsLimited help and upper management could care less about you

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember who gets you to Cleveland !

Dont waste your life

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe Benefits are great with this company. That said, thats about it. After putting in 60-70hrs per week and busting hump to make your store readiness tip top. District Management will find someway to not reward your efforts.

ConsPoor work/life balance. Say good bye to your social life. Are you married? Say goodbye to your wife and kids. Do you own clothes? Buy more, you will wreck everything you own and you are not compensated for it. Oh wait! There is a last minute sale! Cancel your Vacation. This was actually said by a vice president, who is now a division president.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide helpful insight and coaching.

Upper management is not organized, and there is no culture.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros- Good Pay
- Clean stores

Cons- Bad work-life balance
- Not a supportive work culture
-Upper management is unorganized

Advice to Senior ManagementIncorporate a work culture that is supportive and celebrates when employees have high sales.

Don't do it.

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent pay and benefits but you learn quickly that's it not worth the stress.

ConsRude customers that want everything there way but refuse to go to burger king to get it, understaffed stores with constantly increasing store hours. Terrible work-life balance. Not nearly enough compensation to put up with the growing list of managerial responsibilities. Upper management doesn't listen and doesn't care. Theirs not enough time in the day to meet all their expectations and they are fully prepared to add more just to make a few more bucks. If a customer complains about anything its your fault regardless of what logic and common sense dictates. If you don't have enough staff to make customers happy you need to make it happen. If someone takes a vacation be ready to come in from sun up to sun down and run the store by yourself for most of the day and greeting each customer while answering the phone, tinting paint, doing color matches, answering questions, running the register and following all the procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou never listened before why would you start now.

MTP review

Management Training Program (MTP) (Former Employee)

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat money for a college graduate. Great training. Great product to sell.

ConsAfter you receive your first salary, it barely increases from there. For example, you start around $39,000 a year but long term managers make usually at most $60k. I worked in the South East division- very sexist company. They hire women over men only because the company is like 10-20% female, which is barbaric in the 21st century. The men in the company are very sexist and I have no clue how they are still in operation.

As an MTP you will take over the assistant manager duties. The company will not tell you that if you do not move where they assign you then you will be terminated. Even if you have a family or any valid excuse as to why you cannot move 100 miles away to a small town no one has ever heard of, they will take away your big salary, health insurance, everything.

Overall, this company is for people who are old fashioned and think women are below men. If you just want good money and do not care about company values or rising too high in the management levels of the company then this job is perfect for you!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease join us in the 21st century and welcome women into the workforce because we are great workers, not just because you have to meet your quota. Then maybe train your other management to not talk down to women.

Worst career decision I ever made

Medford, OR

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay, good benefits, annual raises

ConsAny one that likes working for this company is a complete moron. Why would you go to college for 4 years to mix paint, do manual labor, and work terrible hours in a retail store? Even if you get promoted to store manager or sales rep it is a constant battle trying to get more and more sales. You will make a fool out of yourself begging people for their business. Every year your budget increases substantially. Sales cannot increase by 10% each year, it just won't happen. It is never good enough. Upper management will ride your ass about sales and customer service. The management doesn't really even run the store, the customers do. Painters will linger in the store because they have no lives. They expect the staff to entertain them as if they are in a bar talking to a bartender trying to earn tips. Since they are miserable losers with no friends they need the paint store employees to boost their self-esteem. If you even look at someone the wrong way they will go running to their sales rep crying that you didn't treat them like royalty....it is truly pathetic.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere do I begin? Start treating employees like humans and not money making machines. Come back down to reality. Also, stop promoting your favorite brown-nosers. Believe it or not some companies actually promote people based on performance.....weird

Where to begin.......

Manager (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time

ProsGood compensation/benefits-401k, health insurance, salaries were above par for the industry.
Great coworkers/customers-All my coworkers were great. A lot of them bled blue and were willing to do whatever it took to get the job done.
Locations everywhere.

ConsFirst off let me state that this companies rating is not reflective of the of actual people who work here. It is a reflection of HR writing reviews trying to boost a number so that they get people interested in working the company. True story. I can recall 1 MTP that has actually made it into management in the last 3 years. Most that have not made it 3-6 months with SW. I came from a district where I'd say about 90% of the managers and reps are unhappy. Most of the guys here are either a.) too far in their careers to go anywhere b.) don't know any better c.)burnt out.

Staffing-it is utterly impossible to do the tasks that are expected of us with the staffing that you give us. If you run 1+ million dollar store, you will be short staffed.

Unbelievably micromanaged-On Mondays I would have a checklist 2 pages deep on what I should have been doing the previous week. Sales calls, seal island reports (you guys know what I'm talking about), mistint logs, the list goes on and on. They are pushing the envelope in getting the most out of every single customer. I have no problem with doing the best I can for the company, but in essence, you destroying morale with your limitless tasks and programs.

Advancement-Everything you read about the unspoken truth about getting more women in upper management roles, whether deserving or undeserving, they are all TRUE. They are fast tracking women to meet numbers.
Expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo yourselves a favor and take a look around your company, mainly your stores and reps. EVERYONE in your stores group is absolutely miserable. You are killing your people and for what? Stock price? I get it,it's risen from $40 to almost $200 the last few years. Most of you higher ups (all the way down to DM's and Sales Managers) have gotten compensated very well for the last couple years, probably enough to retire now if you wanted. It's great that you grind everyone else to a pulp so that the select 400-500 in upper management will live happy, comfortable lives after retirement. This was once a great company who cared for it's employees, now it's just a money making machine that doesn't care who or what it runs over.

Don't Do It!!!

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time for less than a year

ProsGood starting pay
Great benefits
Ok people to work with

ConsIf you like working long hours, with little to no help because they refuse to allow you to hire more ppl or extend hours for current ppl, make 50 cold calls a week with customers you have not even seen before, and unrealistic goals than this is the job for you. Upper management expects so much from you which is fine, however, they don't give you the proper personnel or time to achieve those goals. Price for paint is ridiculous. SW has 50 million sales thru out the year when they should just lower their prices. They claim to be superior in the paint business but managers and assistant managers are constantly prostituting themselves out for ignorant and unappreciative contractors. Moving up into another department is unrealistic because they want you to become a manager or sales rep first and that could take years if your one of those ppl who don't kiss butt 24/7. If you enjoy/love sales and all that jazz then apply for the MTP but if your like me don't do it!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive managers more personnel. Stores are pimping their employees out to other stores because we are lacking ppl. Stop with the long hours. We understand that this is retail sales but dang why are we open on Christmas Eve? Really? Ppl are not gonna be that upset if we don't open on some of these major holidays. Stop with the cold calling!!! Think of a better way to connect with your customer base. And what's up with Seal Island??? That defiantly needs to end. Stop prostituting your ppl out for a few dollars.

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sherwin-Williams reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sherwin-Williams CEO Christopher M. Connor. All 675 reviews posted anonymously by Sherwin-Williams employees.