Sherwin-Williams

Updated December 15, 2014
3.5

Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor
Christopher M. Connor

Pros
  • Many opportunities for advancement (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits, opportunity for advancement if willing to move (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance, upper management out of touch with store level (in 43 reviews)

• Upper management keep putting the wrong people in leadership positions (in 84 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible

Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice 401k/pension program, nothing more to say. This really a pathetic company that treats their workers like a number instead of a person.

Cons

-micro managed -under staffed -you WILL do it ALL -under payed -miserable place to call a career, this job is not for the college graduate.

Stop micro managing and spend a little money on you staff and store associates

Awful

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paycheck. Bonus. That's pretty much it. The people suck, management sucks, hours suck.

Cons

Upper management and ignorant customers, hours 7am-8pm, missing peoples ______

Higher new people to fill your positions and fire yourselves

Family values HELL NO!

Former Employee - NACE Certified Marine Technical Service Representative in Mobile, AL

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, money, nice enviroment, car and gas card provided.

Cons

Fired for the FIRST time in my Life, 5 days before Christmas. Bankruptcy, Home & Car Repossessed. Since 2010 it is now 09-23-2014 and I have yet to recover. All I have left is my wife.

After working for three (3) YEARS THEY THOUGHT nothing ABOUT FIRING ME ON 12-20-2010.... 5 days before Christmas. How's that for a Fortune 500 Company Family Values. I left my job of 21 years to work for them. Have LOST everything. Thx for nothing!

But wait, what happened to the "family" taking care of its own kind???

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Greatest career (not just a J.O.B.) I have had as far as pay, benefits, training... SW invested lots of money and time into my training to be be a better territory manager. And this helped me help SW make more sales and we all made more money!

Cons

Shoot first, ask questions, well maybe not so much! After 4 years of consistent growth in my territory and bonuses each year and getting the Presidents trip an HR witch hunt brought my dream job to a bitter end. Without working "with" me the HR guns were loaded and boom, fired....

SW put large amount of time and money into me which paid off well for us both. Chris C. emphasized the 'family' concept time and time again at annual sales meetings. This made me proud to be a part of his team/family. Please give your 'family' members the human and Godly aspect of respect and decency by asking if there is anything SW can do to help them, before cutting off their head. Wake up Chris, you're loosing good people!!

The most unstable environment ever

Former Employee - Management Training Program (MTP) in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Management Training Program (MTP) in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was good but the amount of hours worked and constant standing and lifting the pay wasn't enough

Cons

Heavy lifting, poor building infrastructure, majority of summer spent with poor AC or no AC, drove 1 hour to and from work, floated for seven months around the metro plex as an MTP, dealt with gross restrooms, rude men and even rude co workers!!!! Not for minorities at all especially women!!

Develop a better way of working with minorities and women in your company.

Disrespect, distrust, used

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Avon, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Avon, CO

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent salary plus bonuses and good products. They pay for you to move to your new store after a short period of training.

Cons

Absolutely no pay for overtime. Getting approval for overtime is not possible because it requires district level approval and by the time you know you are going to need to work OT, it is closing time and too late to contact him.
    Also, you will work almost EVERY Saturday. You work late every day you do work. You will barely have a life. Your job will be your life. Your hard work and dedication will not be appreciated. Your manager will not have your back. He will back stab you. Your sales representative will also stab you in the back. Management is not held accountable for their actions. They can abuse you and get away with it. Management makes mistakes and they are not written up. Only your mistakes are written up.
    Employees are not valued as people. You are their money maker. You are nothing more. You are not a human being. You are not to have a personal life especially a family life.
    You are to over charge every customer. All they care about is money and their stock value.
    Consistency is not in their vocabulary. They will let one employee get away with murder but write others up. Fairness is not in their vocabulary either.
    Their training method is to expect you to be able to sprint without first learning to crawl. Then it is your competency that is to blame if you don't get the product knowledge and computer knowledge.
    Your manager will not be trained on how to lead or manage. He is only trained on how to make money. Money is their only concern. You are not their concern.
    Your district manager does not care about your growth or success. He only cares if you are making him money. He will not listen to any of your pleas for help. You will be ignored and labeled as a bad employee.
    My advice is not waste your time with Sherwin Williams. Invest your blood, sweat, and tears in a company that sees you as a human being and invests back into you and will take care of you even when your personal life gets really tough.
    Females get promoted faster and get treated better.

Crawl, walk, run is a great principal in teaching. Don't expect a new manager in training to be able to perform like a 10 year veteran.
    Be consistent in your punishments. Be fair in your punishments.
    Don't be so stuck on yourselves. You are far from perfect. Listen to assistant managers and listen to their complaints. Make a way for assistants to write reviews of their managers both store level and district level. Their needs to be two way communication. Not complete trust in upper management. I got written up for stupid things others got away with and couldn't say anything about it. Don't allow managers to be gods and act like they are. They are stupid and make mistakes. They are horrible leaders too including district and above.

Emasculating.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vineland, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vineland, NJ

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid to show up!

Cons

Best way to describe my experience: grind 'em up and spit 'em out.
    Arrogant, self-serving, management that excel best at micro-managing, reducing store personnel to mindless, beaten-down masses.

You are only as good as the people you truly support with actions and not with verbiage.
    The people on the ground floor are what makes the company what it is-don't discount their contributions as trivial.
    You are not as important as you think you are.

Find something else.

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams

Pros

MTP program, and starting off pay as Assistant is decent

Cons

Pay does not increase. Period. Taking a Store manager position doesn't mean you get a pay increase, they make you work an additional 4 hours, so 48 hours a week and turn you into salary, and pretty much force you to work over those 48.

Good Start, Company Turned for the worst

Former Employee - Third Key
    Former Employee - Third Key

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great retail experience. Tons of knowledge to gain. Pay was at par. Good experience while attending college.

Cons

Company culture went down the drain. Lay offs, reduced employees per store, increased store hours, all while denying any form of overtime. Managers are salary based so they can get away with it. Plus they are turning store employees and managers into sales representatives by requiring so many calls to customers per week and monitored like a hawk, which can be VERY difficult when required sometimes working a store by yourself due to said changes. With a "no excuse" attitude, and claiming stores are "properly staffed", which they are not, they no longer care about their employees. Very disappointed with the changes over the years.

Your store employees and managers are the front lines of making your "bottom line" higher and better. Make them happy and your profits will increase. Focus on customer service, NOT sales tactics and overburdening tasks, especially when stores are so short staffed, and they ARE short staffed.

My job meant everything to me but I didn't mean much to Sherwin-Williams.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Coffeyville, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Coffeyville, KS

I worked at Sherwin-Williams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

S-W has a good health care plan & generous vacation allowances for full-time employees. They do well training employees how to do the job & typically promotes primarily internally. You can get free help to quit smoking, as many times as it takes & reimbursement for classes/software to become multi-lingual. Generally it's a good work environment with good people working with you.

Cons

As a woman, I was expected to take part in a 'women's resource group,' despite having stated several times that I didn't want to participate. When I refused to go to a WRG meeting on the grounds that it was sexist & interfered with my personal beliefs, an email was resent to the stores stating that attendance was REQUIRED. I didn't find out what would happen if I refused to go, as I quit before the meeting was held. There was no male equivalent & subjects pertaining to the job were not involved. They say they pay equally, but they don't. Management is expected to do everything they can to ensure full-time employees are kept to a bare minimum so the company doesn't have to pay benefits. I was personally denied a promotion twice because I have a seizure disorder, even saying that it was part of the reason, but giving no other reasoning. Seizures didn't prevent me from excelling at my job for 6.5 years. The first time was in favor of a 20+ year employee who worked less in a given week than my part-time employees combined & who left early every day and headed straight to the bar (I have pictures). He was a thief, easily proven if anyone had bothered to look & made a regular habit of smoking in the store and warehouse. The warehouse where many highly-flammable solvents are stored. The second was a really nice guy, but completely inexperienced in his previous position (I was helping him learn how to do that position too) & I spent most of my time training him to do the job I was denied. I made sure my store was the best merchandised in our district. I won the award for that the first year I tried. The second, third, and fourth subsequent years I was denied first place because, per the DM, "it wouldn't be fair to everyone else." I could go on but I think I've made my point. S-W looks great from the outside, but the view on the inside is ugly. Ultimately, I quit in good standing but I will no longer recommend the company as an employer.

Take a good, hard look at T&A records in the Springfield District. Now consider what will happen the next time that DM denies a promotion to someone based on a physical disability, actual or perceived. Then consider the potential hazard of requiring one gender to join a group that has nothing to do with the job. And btw: the color scheme used in the stores (wheat grass, pennywise, etc.) is stolen straight from a Mary Kay eye shadow palette from about 6 years ago. You might also look into better training for your assistant managers & managers because from what I've observed, a week in Dallas is nowhere near enough.

Sherwin-Williams Photos