Sherwin-Williams

Updated September 29, 2014
3.5

Sherwin-Williams Chairman and CEO Christopher M. Connor
Christopher M. Connor

Pros
  • Many opportunities for advancement (in 42 reviews)

• Very good benefits in the company, great co-workers within the store (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • the work life balance sucks to since they are keeping stores open later and later (in 40 reviews)

• Upper management (above the district level) is somewhat disconnected from the behavior of contractors (in 79 reviews)

More Highlights

No room for growth

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Northlake, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Northlake, IL

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours and good training. Most of the other employees were very friendly, and there was good teamwork. You will learn a lot about the paint industry, and all of the products used within it.

Cons

Raises are minimal, and only happen once per year. There is almost no room for growth or advancement in the company, unless you are into the politics of the company, even if you have been there for a long time. Painters are hard to deal with on a daily basis. They are usually rude, and try their best to rip you off. Self expression is frowned upon, so make sure you look as plain as you can. Be prepared to work in a dirty environment.

For the amount of knowledge that employees must have, they should be compensated better, or at least have the chance to grow with the company.

Stuck in 1974

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Health care and 401k are nice.

Cons

The company continues to allow a bullying system of management style. They also pat themselves on the back for hiring females and minorities but that is as far as it goes. District managers do not listen to their sales force about problems in the field which leads all of us to believe that they are also being bullied and ignored. They also promote their friends into lucrative positions and anyone else into positions that are more challenging or difficult.

Value your people. Stop promoting your buddies into sweet locations. Listen to your sales staff and don't treat them as though they are not working hard enough. You all have been in the field, so treat us the way you WISH you had been treated. This is not a sports team, so whipping us into shape is not the most effective way to deal with working professionals trying to do their jobs.

Wonderful introduction to the world of sales for college student.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best reason to work at Sherwin-Williams is gaining experience into the world of sales. Managers at branch locations are friendly and well-trained so its easy to pick up on new skills. Work days are diverse, so they go quickly and you get to meet a lot of new faces.

Cons

You feel like a very very small piece of the puzzle and it is tough to get in touch with anyone from the corporate offices. Compensation is less than adequate as well.

There needs to be more transparency so that upper management can better see how stores work and so there is less of a disconnect between retail stores and headquarters.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best company I have ever worked for in terms of company culture, employee compensation, and quality of products.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time for less than a year

Pros

There's plenty of opportunity to grow professionally within this company if you are a hard worker. As a manager and assistant you can earn bonuses if you hit your store sales. High quality products make it easier to sell. Management truly cares about your success and wants you to have a work/life balance not just all hours dedicated to work. Flexible hours. Retirement plans good as well.

Cons

If you are a woman seeking employment here you need to have tough skin to deal with some of the contractors that come in and are not all exactly proper business men. Better also have no qualms about lifting some heavy equipment either! Products can get pretty heavy. There are dolly's to help but still require some muscle and tough skin.

There really is no advice I can give. They taught me a lot and were very interactive and patient with me as a new worker who had to learn 40,000 + products. Great people and great environment to work in.

Great opportunities for those willing to move

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

opportunities, compensation, training, personal growth, benefits

Cons

if you are not willing to move opportunities are limited, long hours

I understand this is a business, but it can feel like upper management does not understand we have other obligations outside of our jobs. We have good people working in our company, & sometimes the work/life balance is uneven. It varies by location, but longer hours when part-time & assistant managers' hours are capped means store manager has to man the store alone longer. It can create a lot of stress, overall.

What you make of it

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay
    Decent hours
    Good management experience
    Start early and leave early

Cons

Work at 6:30 am
    Work weekend occasionally
    Not a flashy position
    Deal with scummy contractors at times

Give more feedback and appreciation to management for their sacrifices.

Good experience as a PT sales associate.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jackson, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, OH

I worked at Sherwin-Williams part-time for less than a year

Pros

The schedule was flexible and the training was on par for the position.
    Great benefits for part time employee's that I have seen no where else: paid holidays, 401k option available, free flu shoots and tobacco cessation programs.
    The pay was fair for the position and my experience.
    The store I worked at was located in a small town so the frequent customer's became known by name.
    Good store management and work environment (in my experience)
    Overall I really enjoyed my time at SW due to the manager and assistant manager I worked with.
    It seems to be a great place to work while attending college or while doing other work/job on the side.

Cons

Upper lever management is out of touch with reality. You'll be pushed by upper management to do an exponential number of sales calls per week with unrealistic goals.
    All of course without any increase in compensation or type of incentive.

Take into consideration the population, median income and other demographics for the vicinity the store is located in. Obviously a store in a city with 50,000+ population will have higher sales than a store in a town of less than 10,000. Thus, the goals and expectations should be based on the aforementioned above. Also listen to what your store employee's have to say.

good enough for now

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay. Money. Bonuses. Compensation. Payday. Oh and the benefits start immediately....no grace period and no drug test for managers.

Cons

whatever you do.... if you are an MTP do NOT accept your first store placement outside of your preffered location. if you live in austin and you love austin do not take a store in dallas because you will be trapped in dallas and it will not be easy to go back to austin even though you have worked there. When they say relocating will move you up faster they mean that it will get you placed in your FIRST store faster, not that if you are willing to move around that you can move every 6 months....you can within your district, not city to city or state to state. the work life balance sucks to since they are keeping stores open later and later.

I do not hate my job at all but I would love more time to spend away from it. The money is great but if I do not have time to spend it, it makes no difference.

An educational experience

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positive work environment with great people to support your career.

Cons

Too many check the boxes steps that are unnecessary.

Capture your leaders and lose your statistics.

blender

Current Employee - Blender  in  Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Blender in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Sherwin-Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros

every day is different and interesting

Cons

working with chemical and other toxic elements

work environment could be upgraded

Sherwin-Williams Photos

store location

+ Add Photo

Worked for Sherwin-Williams? Contribute to the Community!