Shi by Journeys

1 Rating

Shii

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Shi by Journeys part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty laid back, awesome discount!(40%) it's overall not a very difficult job. Most customers are friendly and want your opinion on what they are buying.

Cons

You get paid minimum wage plus commission which sounds good at first but then you realize that 4% commission is literally nothing. Doing inventory sucks especially if you have to do it all yourself. Disorganized management. Training is on the computer. Wish the actual mangement helped train.

Increase hourly wage or commission. The amount of money the company makes is crazy compared to the commission we get( virtually nothing) it's not worth it and doesn't make me wanna sell more

Couldn't even hack it for more than a few months.

Former Employee - Third Key
    Former Employee - Third Key

I worked at Shi by Journeys part-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back? I'm really having a hard time coming up with anything positive to say. At all. I hated this place.

Cons

Completely disorganized. I was told I'd make commission and after hire was told that I only get commission if I can sell $100 with of shoes every hour I'm scheduled. I sometimes wouldn't even get my first customer until I had been there for three hours... My DM was a pushover and had no authority. Nobody followed the rules. It was super sketchy. I got out as soon as I could. I did not feel comfortable working for this company.

Hire DMs who aren't afraid of their employees...

Favortism

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Woodbridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Woodbridge, NJ

I worked at Shi by Journeys full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Benefits and Discounts. Great people and customers. Easy procedures.

Cons

You have to be favorited to get anywhere in the company.

Do not make it so difficult or learn to compensate your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Shi by Journeys part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun coworkers, great part-time experience for high school students

Cons

Management turnover, difficult to reach sales goals, low quality products for the price (making sales difficult)

All work, no pay!

Current Employee - Co-Manager  in  Grandville, MI
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Grandville, MI

I have been working at Shi by Journeys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount at Journeys, Shi by Journeys, and all other sister stores . As a co-manager you get a lot of management experience under your belt.

Cons

As a manager you work like a slave and the company pays you next to nothing. You must work a minimum of 45 hours every week, but you will most likely be expected to work more than that. If you work more than 45 hours you won't be offered any overtime. You work on commission, so if you are asked to do anything other then sell shoes you will not be getting paid anymore than you would already be receiving. Most weeks I only made minimum wage after I crunched numbers and divided what my paycheck by the amount of hours I worked. The amount of work you will have to do does not add up, and at the end of the day it is not worth it to work here.

Raise assistant managers salary!

worst job of my life.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hoover, AL

I worked at Shi by Journeys

Pros

A 40% discount is really awesome. Almost all of my coworkers were really cool and fun to be with. My manager was also very sweet. However, the only thing I do not regret about working at Shi is that I met my fiance through the company.

Cons

The pay is insulting. You are payed $6/hr plus 4% commission.
    The management plays favorites with hours, but in a bizarre way. I worked there when I was a high school student, and I was given 30-35 hours a week, while other employees who did not go to school and had this as their primary job would be scheduled maybe 20 hours a week.
    They expect you to make ridiculous sales goals, and your percentages can easily be thrown off if you sell more shoes than handbags or accessories. If you fail to meet your goal twice, you will be written up, if you fail to meet it once more you will be terminated.
    The managers also get payed on commission, which means that they compete with their employees and steal sales from them in order to make as much money as possible without thinking of their staff.
    You are required to hassle customers and pressure them into sales.
    Do NOT work at Shi or Journeys if you want to get payed decently and feel respected by the company and management

Managers should view themselves as managers rather than sales associates, because it causes dissonance within the work place and animosity between employees and the managers. Also, stop taking advantage of young people with little experience.

Pay and work schedule were just insulting

Former Employee - Co-Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Shi by Journeys

Pros

Great discount; cool, easy-going customers; streamlined operational procedures (i.e. for merchandise transfers) were among the most efficient I've ever seen; goals set by corporate were very realistic and achievable

Cons

The commission plan is the same as the store's higher-volume cousin, Journeys. That makes no sense, as it's impossible to make any money under that structure in a low volume store except for a total of 6 weeks during the year when volume increases. I made minimum wage the whole time I was there, never earning a penny more. The store runs on two managers and no one else has keys. You alternate 5 and 6 day work weeks every other week, and if the other person goes in vacation then you work open to close all week. You're by yourself most of the time, and even when you're not you don't get a real lunch or break. You are allowed to run out and grab food but then you have to come right back and eat in the back room. You are a slave to the store and you make less than a 16-year-old McDonald's cashier. You never hear from upper management, such as your DM, except when they complain about your numbers. They're MIA for the rest of the time.

Stop taking advantage of your young staff who doesn't know any better. Companies that make you work 6 days a week on a regular basis at least have the decency to pay well. The commission structure, which is well below the industry norm, does not work at a low volume store even for the most stellar salespeople. Paying your managers minimum wage is inexcusable, and treating them as if they don't deserve to have a life is as well. You wonder why you have such high turnover? It's because you're running a sweatshop.

Worked for Shi by Journeys? Contribute to the Community!