Shield Healthcare

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
2.9

James Snell

Best job I have ever had

Current Employee - Software Developer in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Shield Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

HR director, IT manager, and even the CFO (!) came in on Saturdays for my interviews. Innovative IT department. Massive BBQ during annual physical inventory. Approachable upper management who know you on a first time basis. Relaxed dress code. Acts upon suggestion box ideas. Catered lunch for weekend hourly shifts. Annual Jerry Garcia day. Clean and modern facility located in a good area. Free Internet kiosks for all to use. Not a publically held company, strong, conservative and ethical.

Cons

Dealing with unresponsive external government agencies with respect to healthcare reimbursement issues, Medicaid in particular. Nearby freeway widening project.

Live long and prosper.

Not a great experience. Please avoid.

Former Employee - Senior Director in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Valencia, CA

I worked at Shield Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the only employers in the area. Will pay well, but you pay for that in other ways.

Cons

Extremely Unprofessional management team and CEO. Unsophisticated and angry bunch.

The CEO should retire. He's a liability.

Poor

I worked at Shield Healthcare full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits, good product coaching and sales mentors

Cons

mgt threatens firings to try and encourage, if mid level mgt worried they will look bad they place blame on their employees, they have their favorites that escape reprimand

2 year learning curve......RIDICULOUS

I worked at Shield Healthcare full-time

Pros

There is fruit brought into the office once a week and that is honestly the only perk of the job.

Cons

Everything else....
    You cannot make any new suggestions on anything until you have been there at least two years. Crazy strict dresscode.....even though it is not followed by the HR personnel.

Update your archaic systems and stop with the 2 year learning curve and ridiculous rules because you are driving all quality candidates away.

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valencia, CA

I worked at Shield Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation & health benefits, some nice people

Cons

They only promote people that kiss butt and and lack management skills to run a department . Talks about employees behind there backs and to other employees. They look for faults in employees that work hard and praise those that slack off.

Listen to your employees they may teach you something. Don't talk down to them just because you are in Management.

Customer Service Manager

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Plano, TX

I worked at Shield Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good process for new hire training at a glance. Received a fruit arrangement to welcome me to the management team (from Corporate).

Cons

Horrible management team. They look for flaws and are to lazy to put in the time to train new hires that are fully qualified for the position. No feedback from management. They will talk about you behind your back while you are within earshot and talk about you to subordinates, soliciting negative feedback. No guidance from management on expectations ans absolutely no moral support or management training.

When hiring outside management, you should take the time to give them guidance and feedback to help them become SUCCESSFUL as this is a direct reflection on your decision to hire them. If you are willing to put in some effort, qualified candidates will be as successful as you allow them to. Also, it is imperative to provide feedback and constructive criticism as they go along. This is Management 101....

50/50

I worked at Shield Healthcare

Pros

Yearly reviews, time off, employee recognition

Cons

insurance premiums were kind of high, some managers played favorites,

Shield - a good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Shield Healthcare

Pros

I have been an employee of Shield HealthCare for over 14 years. During that time Shield has been on a steady path of growth and improvement and to me that makes Shield a company worth working for.
         Shield was owned by a Japanese pharmaceutical company and had become a profitable enterprise. When time came to sell Shield, the local management team formed a group and bought Shield. That action probably saved most of us our jobs. Since then, the sales volume has steadily increased, despite the economical ups and downs of the past years. Yes, Shield does operate in a conservative fashion, but then again, Shield has operated in the black during my years of employment with them and we have not had any corporate wide layoffs. Shield’s growth is not just in sales numbers but in geographical expansion as well.
         Shield management has steadily worked to improve the employee benefit package. I have seen and shared in the improved healthcare package. Benefits such as the vacation accrual and holiday allotments have improved. One of the marks of Shield’s employee profile is the longevity of employment. My 14 years is rather short compared to the many that have 20, 25, and 30 years of employment with Shield. There must be a reason for that longevity and I do not think is from the lack of satisfaction in their job.
         Shield is always working to improve their relationship with their customer base. Being a healthcare company, we are always dealing with people who are caring for people with health related issues or are themselves the consumer of our products. Our customer service employees are trained to know how to assist the customer in purchasing proper products for their needs. Shield has increased the number of healthcare professionals on staff in order to improve service to the customer.
    I expect to celebrate 20 years with Shield HealthCare.

Cons

An area where Shield can improve on is the internal communications between departments on a day-to-day basis. Communication skills are a critical piece to the efficient and successful operation of our business. Accuracy of information is vital. Following communication protocol is critical. Without these we lose time and money--not to mention the potential of hindering customer relations. I have seen where the communication breakdown actually hinders or prevents problem resolutio.

Listen to your employees. Keep striving to grow and improve. Every mile gained started with the decision to take a step forward.

Just started

I have been working at Shield Healthcare

Pros

Just started and all seems to be well.

Cons

Lack of direction from upper management. Need to stick with one idea.

Great All Around

I have been working at Shield Healthcare

Pros

Friendly and Helpful Employees, Great Opportunities, Excellent Company Goals! Because I am Fairly New To The Company, I Can't Provide More Than This Right Now.

Cons

The Waiting Process Between The Interview and Job Offer is A Pain In The Behind But Well Worth The Agony!. Because I am Fairly New To The Company, I Can't Provide More Than This Right Now.

Keep It Up.