Shimmick Construction Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Paul Cocotis

Lots of opportunities, exciting work

Former Intern - Engineer Intern in Fremont, CA

I worked at Shimmick Construction as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-growing company that is pursuing the toughest jobs in California. You will not be bored or lack work to do. They put effort into making sure you're always learning, and encourage engineers to earn their PE license. Friendly atmosphere that encourages employees to get to know each other.

Cons

Not great compensation, especially for California. Chances to earn performance bonuses, but those are highly dependent on how the company did in a given year, not just just how you performed. Commutes can be horrendously long, because of the nature of the kinds of projects Shimmick takes on.

Advice to Management

Consider revising your pay scale. It's hard for young engineers from out of state to move to California on what you offer, even with bonus incentives.

2. Needs Restructuring

I worked at Shimmick Construction full-time

Pros

Shimmick once had a great culture with a very family oriented approach. Employees were taken care of financially with performance. Very work hard play hard atmosphere with very good people.

Cons

That culture is no more and the financial gains of succeeding are not what they use to be and are now below the industry standard. With that, it seems the culture has changed too.

Advice to Management

Promptly revise, yet again, the compensation plan and employee stock model to something that makes sense.

My experience was a skill builder

Former Employee - Journeyman Laborer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Journeyman Laborer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Shimmick Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They were willing to do training on the job.

Cons

The job was a union and had alot of rules about who can be hired

Advice to Management

I would tell them to keep investing in there employee.

Amazing projects with high public profiles.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Shimmick Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging and beneficial for those starting a career. They give young engineers a lot of responsibility, therefore your experience and knowledge is gained at a very fast pace. I've worked for small firms, relatively speaking, and the support to grow as an engineer is not as great because of the multiple roles you have to take on alongside being an engineer.

Cons

Construction always means long hours and high stress. It's only for a certain type of person, and even so, it still can be overwhelming even for the right people.

Advice to Management

Keep growing.

Work Hard, Play Hard - If you like being single

Former Intern - Engineer Intern in Fremont, CA

I worked at Shimmick Construction as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Coworkers really do step out to help you if you're struggling. Many times I felt like I was in over my head, but never thought I was alone. Everyone answered my questions and did what they could to help me out. Truly great internship experience. Far better than what I've heard from many friends working for other companies. Really cool projects, lots of challenging work.

Cons

Expect to work 55 hours a week, and commute 45 minutes to and hour and a half each way for work. This is fine if you are single and like being single, or you're used to this lifestyle. Being a Midwestern boy going to school in Colorado, even one summer of this schedule really wore me out. Coworkers told me what they make, and even with a fairly good benefits package it doesn't seem competitive for California.

Advice to Management

Consider paying your people more. The cost of living is so high in California, paying Field Engineers the same as Heavy Civil companies pay them in Colorado seems really stingy and not at all fair.

Wish i was still there

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Irvine, CA

Pros

Good company culture, relationship between upper management and field personnel

Cons

Typically bid with too high of margin in So. Cal. market

Lots of opportunities/responsibilities/stress to be anticipated

Former Employee - Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Project Engineer

Pros

Shimmick Construction provides great opportunities, a variety of projects with new challenges, and a welcoming team of engineers and managers that genuinely enjoy working together.

Cons

Shimmick claims they value a work-life balance, but that would depend on the type of project and role you were given. They may be growing fast, which may lead to lack of focus on employee development that would otherwise be provided at a smaller firm.

RSS Feed </> Embed