ShipStation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Nathan Jones

1. Great product and team!

I have been working at ShipStation

Pros

The company is run by honest, hardworking people. The product is truly loved by the majority of customers and well-respected in the e-commerce industry. I've worked for other companies in the past and this is not the norm. Employees can take the vacation time they need, there is no set limit though it's all within reason. And your schedule is fairly flexible across all departments. Health benefits are covered for the employee, and 401k and employee stock purchase plan are available. Opportunities arise for those who are driven, go outside of their daily responsibilities to contribute, and are willing to humbly but directly state where you'd like to grow with the company and ask how you can get there. Overall, you get the excitement of helping develop and support a leading product in the industry while also taking advantage of the stability and benefits of a more established company.

Cons

The company is only 4 years old but has seen tremendous growth. In many ways, this is a really good thing, however I believe that does mean we are still maturing in terms of processes and structure, particularly in supporting employees. If you require lots of feedback from management for job satisfaction, and are not accustomed to asking for what you want, ShipStation may not be the right fit for you.

Advice to Management

Be proactive in learning from key employees in all departments and positions in the company. Hire an outside consultant or HR, if necessary, to seriously consider and create a plan for how to keep and recruit top talent.

Don't be fooled

I have been working at ShipStation full-time

Pros

It's not going anywhere. This company is stable since it's owned by stamps.com. It's profitable, especially for the owners and parent company.

Cons

If you want a job where you are more than a peon, this isn't the place. The company does a great job of putting on a facade of your importance and being employee centered. However, it is absolutely money centered (as a business should be) but they really couldn't care less about the minions that grind every day to make it all happen. This is a company that a few years ago valued and tried to keep its employees moral high but switched (after being acquired by Stamps.com) to the model we all know so well- the "we can always hire someone else" model. You will not develop any useful skills by working here. If you have no other choice and need a paycheck, it's great place. If you want a career and the chance to get somewhere in life, move on.

Advice to Management

be honest with your employees and consider sharing the profits with employees that make it work every day.

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at ShipStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never had a job where I enjoy going to work every day and seeing everyone I work with, until ShipStation. The work environment is great (startup), and benefits are awesome. Management is very approachable and always willing to help. They provide you with a Macbook and your own Geek Desk so you can stand while you work. They encourage us to order snacks and beverages every week, which is all free. ShipStation also feeds us at least once a week and gives us beer on Fridays! Oh, and the support/sales teams get to shoot nerf gun darts every Friday for cash. There is also a lot of opportunity for growth if you work hard. They really look for people who are self-motivated and think outside the box. The company is growing really fast so new positions do become available. They typically promote from within as well.

Cons

The volume of work is a bit intense. I think some people feel that they are overworked and/or underappreciated. It's part of working in the customer service industry though. I'll take being busy over being bored any day.

Advice to Management

I think management is doing great with the resources they have. The only thing I would suggest is to be more transparent with raises and promotions.

Really Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at ShipStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office really is very nice and open with lots of natural light, Its a very good environment to get work done in. Its inviting and I actually enjoy getting up to go into work every morning. Snacks and drinks are ordered every week, and you're able to pick from a long list of things you want to order. Lunch is ordered every Thursday with a wide variety of foods brought in. (Though I think if they brought in BBQ or Tacos every week no one would complain) I believe that the managers around here do give people freedom to manage themselves, and theres little micromanagement to get your job done. If you are successful and productive, they let you do you. My manager is very laid back and helpful, and also lets me figure things out on my own and teach myself what is necessary to do the job. Ideal situation for me. Finally the workers here are top notch, everyone is good spirited, friendly and generally awesome. I hang out with many of my co-workers outside of work and have become good friends with all of them. Very good people coming from a wide range of backgrounds, and all very smart to boot.

Cons

The bathroom situation is one thing that stands out, however I know they are in the process of redo-ing those amenities to add more facilities! Yes. I wish there were more fresh fruit to order from vending, we have a very large list but no fruit! Can't win them all, and the things we do get are more than sufficient, I am just a very big fruit fan you could say.

Advice to Management

Be as transparent as possible, I understand we can't know everything but we still have a small office. We know about things going on even if you think we don't, just tell us we can handle it! We can handle the truth! (We are told a decent amount of behind the scenes stuff, but I still feel like there are plenty of things we are kept in the dark about, probably the same could be said of most companies.) Also, why not have more offsites ? We are killing it and we do get a lot of perks, but the offsites are fun and helps us get to know the awesome people we work around.

Interesting work culture

Current Employee - Customer Support in Austin, TX

I have been working at ShipStation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is empowered to do their best work. No one's tied to a headset and you can work from practically anywhere. Weekly meetings involve the whole company, which I think is awesome.

Cons

It's level 1 tech support and everything that comes with it.

Advice to Management

More team building

7. Good place to be and the best people around

I have been working at ShipStation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ShipStation gives you an end goal and allows you to work in a way that suits you. This is huge for creatively thinking when coming up with solutions for a problem. I get time away and have never been given a "talking to" for needing time away. This includes needing to leave early at anytime as long as I let them know and have made arrangements for this. Next, the people who sit to the left and right of you are awesome. Flat out. No questions asked. They are not just people you see 8 hours a day and forget about. They are warm, caring people that have helped me grow personally and professionally. They have my back when days are tough and give me a helping hand to my when I get knocked down. This is definitely the reason I show up everyday. The pay is good and benefits are great. Can't be upset about either one. Lastly, I get to drink wine on Fridays during the afternoon to celebrate the end of the week.

Cons

Sometimes work load can be heavy but it's called work for a reason. Don't expect flowers and puppies when you walk through the door. It can be challenging but if you try your hardest to do the right thing and are willing to ask for help when you need it, you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Higher management could stand to be a little more transparent and upfront but still aren't completely closed off. You just have to look for and seek answers vs. just getting the info initially. That being said, it's still available for you which is better than anywhere else I've been Mid-Management is some of the most helpful people and if you're down to work for them, they'll work with you to achieve your goals.

8. Great place, Good People

I have been working at ShipStation

Pros

I have worked at a lot of places, big companies, small companies, but I have to give it to ShipStation when it comes to treating people right. People really do listen to what you want. Management has an open door policy, and everyone is always willing to hear what you have to say. People who work hard and want to get ahead, do just that. Getting promoted is not hard, since they do open up all the positions internally before they open them up externally. They do consider all candidates and make a decision based on who will fit the role the best. We get lunch on a weekly basis, so that is always great. All in all I think this is a great place to work if you are looking to work hard and be a dedicated part of a team. The people with longevity here like to work as a team, encourage each other, and get excited when we all do well.

Cons

There is not many. One thing I really do not like is that since we are growing so fast, the facilities are getting little crowded. So going to the bathroom might be a challenge and the parking is getting tricky. I know that this is just a part of growing though.

Advice to Management

Again, I have worked at a lot of places who have said they have an "open door policy" but everyone always gets back to you, or is to busy doing other things. I like that this management staff does listen and puts things into place to keep the people happy. On that note, I encourage the management team to keep on doing what they are doing and not change that. A company that values their employees gets employees who value their company.

Great coworkers, not so great company

I have been working at ShipStation full-time

Pros

There ARE not many. Learning proper grammar is one of them. ShipStation, really does have an open door policy. There is a front door, back door, and a side door. You get to choose the one you like when you are fired without warning. Management likes to hear your opinion as long as you agree with them. Getting promoted is easy, you just have to suck up to the CEO and take him to lunch a few times a week. Become his buddy and share dirty jokes. All in all I think this is a great place to work if McDonalds isn't hiring.

Cons

I have worked at a lot of places, big companies, small companies, but I have to give it to ShipStation. I have never worked anywhere that did not have an HR person. That's really awesome when you are harassed by your manager and have no one to turn to for assistance. With the purchase by Stamps.com, there is a sort of an HR department I guess. However, after reading the Glassdoor comments for Stamps, it does not look like that is a great option. If the CEO could count on his fingers and toes, he would have realized the bathroom and parking facilities were insufficient the day the lease was signed for the current space. Part of growing a company is leasing a space that has room for growth. A company that values it employees, is a company that trusts it's employees and shares what is happening behind the scenes. When the company is purchased for $50 million in cash and you share less than 1% with your employees, that says a lot about how much you really value us. How much of your stamps.com stock are you going to share with us?

Advice to Management

Go back to school and learn some basic math skills. I encourage the management team to keep posting phony reviews on Glassdoor to reassure us how you really see your employees as idiots. We don't expect you to really change. When you cash out with your Stamps stock, we'll still be here doing the real work.

Bait and Switch, start-up wannabe

Current Employee - Customer Success in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Austin, TX

I have been working at ShipStation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have copy and pasted the basic crap you hear about every start-up. You get free snacks, occasional free meals, a free t-shirt and some swag.

Cons

There are not enough desks for the amount of people who work here. The weekly meetings are pointless. The compensation is awful compared to the amount of the work you are asked to do. The training doesn't set you up for success. If you want time off, you need to find someone to cover your shift, holidays included. 60% of the staff were once Apple Retail Employees. This is not a start-up despite what they may tell you. It's owned by Stamps.com which is already public and no one has stock options. The old timers say there were not options prior to the buy out either. The holiday season is a complete nightmare as well. Obviously this is a huge time for shipping and they are not staffed appropriately. This apparently happens every year but the CEO is unwilling to relieve the pain this backlog of work causes every year.

Advice to Management

Start paying the Customer Care team members more. Instead of wasting people's time on with weekly meetings, the team should start making this a productive time to learn best practices and understanding how their role has an impact instead of berating your team with negative feedback. Leadership needs to work on their condescending attitude, maybe your team would be more responsive during the weekly meetings.

What happened to this company? Seriously!

I have been working at ShipStation full-time

Pros

Not many pro's to discuss as of late. Snacks, lunch, drinks. The office is a nice, but a tight fit. You're too late for the big sale and bonuses. It's now owned by stamps.com.

Cons

There is a long list of cons! I would suggest those who are exploring opportunities here ask some really deep questions and see what your responses are. Ask about employee training and enrichment or what sorts of goals do you set for employees? How are advancement opportunities opened to employees? How much in charitable giving did you do last year? Will the founders bail at the end of the year after getting their $40 million in stamps.com stock (on top of their $50 million cash)? ShipStation is not the same company it used to be. People used to love coming to work and be proud to say where they worked. Today it is not the same company it once was. Employees are regularly shown the door with no warning. When advancement opportunities are available, they are filled in secret. No one is given the opportunity to express interest. No one cares about your personal career goals and there is zero effort spent on employee training. The work atmosphere is tense and edgy. The leadership at the top tends to publicly chastise people in front of others. Mgmt is not friendly or supportive, more combative and argumentative. There is only a small circle of people who the leadership actually listens to and gives lip service or hollow promises to the rest. Fear and intimidation is the preferred leadership style.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect. Many of these people worked hard to help you build and grow this company and it seems this is quickly and easily forgotten! Stop the slow transition to a sweatshop.

RSS Feed </> Embed