ShipStation

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.5

Nathan Jones

No idea companies like this existed

Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at ShipStation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I knew there was something special about ShipStation when I interviewed with them. Every person I interviewed with was friendly, passionate and highly intelligent. I was ecstatic when I was offered the job.
    So far, I can't believe how good it is to work here. Yes, there are challenges, but they are nothing compared to things I've experienced in similar sized or larger companies.

People are friendly, helpful, and open about challenges, whether it be technical issues, process, or otherwise, and everyone wants to work together to succeed.

I look forward to a long and successful career working alongside some of the most passionate, intelligent, awesome group of people I've ever met.

Cons

I've only been here for a short while, but so far, I don't have a single negative thing to report.

Don't change a thing. You're doing it right!

What happened to this company? Seriously!

I have been working at ShipStation full-time

Pros

Not many pro's to discuss as of late. Snacks, lunch, drinks. The office is a nice, but a tight fit. You're too late for the big sale and bonuses. It's now owned by stamps.com.

Cons

There is a long list of cons! I would suggest those who are exploring opportunities here ask some really deep questions and see what your responses are. Ask about employee training and enrichment or what sorts of goals do you set for employees? How are advancement opportunities opened to employees? How much in charitable giving did you do last year? Will the founders bail at the end of the year after getting their $40 million in stamps.com stock (on top of their $50 million cash)?

ShipStation is not the same company it used to be. People used to love coming to work and be proud to say where they worked. Today it is not the same company it once was.

Employees are regularly shown the door with no warning. When advancement opportunities are available, they are filled in secret. No one is given the opportunity to express interest. No one cares about your personal career goals and there is zero effort spent on employee training.

The work atmosphere is tense and edgy. The leadership at the top tends to publicly chastise people in front of others. Mgmt is not friendly or supportive, more combative and argumentative. There is only a small circle of people who the leadership actually listens to and gives lip service or hollow promises to the rest. Fear and intimidation is the preferred leadership style.

Treat your employees with more respect. Many of these people worked hard to help you build and grow this company and it seems this is quickly and easily forgotten!
    Stop the slow transition to a sweatshop.

Disappointing, ShipStation is not the worst but far from the best company I have worked for!

I have been working at ShipStation full-time

Pros

Colleagues are great to work with, free drinks, snacks, occasional lunches.

Cons

Salary is not aligned with workload, employees are severely taken advantage of! It is almost impossible to receive a pay raise and they currently have some very unprofessional policies, along with no HR Dept. The career growth is a joke, although they claim to make it a priority to see their employees advance! The execs do not seem to understand what employees do on a day to day basis. The current CEO seems most excited and engaged after someone is fired or leaves. Too many great employees overlooked and who continue to feel unappreciated for their hard work.

Pay close attention to the individual workloads and day to day operations/duties. Take a close look at what is going on around you. How long are you going to make every employee do the work of multiple people? How long is mediocrity going to be tolerated?
    This is an exciting, but crucial time in the company. You can boast about yourselves creating growth, revenue, customer sat etc. as much as you like, but it's the hard working employees that have brought this company to where it is right now. We need direction from management, not politics and bureaucracy.

A swan at first, an ugly duckling in the end.

Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at ShipStation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free snacks, catered lunches every Thursday, geek desks, and early on a really great sense that you are a part of something exciting.

Cons

No advancement. When positions open up employees have no opportunity to apply for them. Instead a sort of back ally deal takes place in secret where they choose a candidate from their favorites and move them into the position with barely an announcement to the team. They currently employ the method of rotating their level 1 employees into an open level 2 position each month. This ensures they can continue paying the employees at a level 1 salary while giving them a false sense of importance. Most level 1 employees work well beyond their 40 hours and are not compensated for this. The work load is impossible and the pressure put on them by the upper management (CEO in particular) is unreasonable, if not uncomfortable and uncalled for. Very unprofessional.

Hard work and attention to detail is not noticed. The only thing that gets noticed are customer reviews. Anyone that has worked in the customer support field should know well that this is a poor metric to evaluate your employees by. Their praise is random and their criticism vehement. It's like choosing a wedding ring on Amazon.com based on the customer reviews given only by divorced women.

Also, the fake reviews are obvious and only serve to make you look more and more like dystopian leaders that can't handle criticism. Stop putting propaganda before your employees.

You can polish a turd but its still a turd

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at ShipStation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Same pros already mentioned. Free lunches, snacks, and "Geek Desks" are all nice but very superficial. The only thing really nice is the flexible hours and dress.

Cons

Google any survey for what matters to employees and you get a list of things that don't exist at ShipStation. Here is a list I found...
    Learn and grow in their jobs - NO
    Do work that is challenging and meaningful - SOMETIMES
    Work with good people - YES, EXCEPT FOR MANAGEMENT
    Feel like they are a valued team member - NOPE, NEVER
    Work with good bosses - NO
    Be recognized for their contributions - NO
    Be autonomous and feel in control of the work - NO
    Have flexibility in their hours and dress - YES
    It's not on the list but I think most employees expect that their employer will provide sufficient parking and bathroom facilities.

If you placed as much emphasis on employee feedback as you do the customer reviews, you might see some legitimately positive reviews here. When you give employee feedback, the positive stuff sounds forced and phony and then ends with something completely negative. I think you are trying to challenge everyone but it always sounds like you are saying we suck.
    Try to anonymously collect collect some employee surveys and act on the feedback.

Play hard, work harder

I have been working at ShipStation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beer Fridays, Nerf Guns. An open work environment, I'm always heard, I'm given vacation or sick time any time I've needed it. This company really does seem to care. Our management is empathetic and supportive. There is so much opportunity for growth. There is an emphasis on metrics because that is the job, but it is never done in a dehumanizing way. The office is beautiful, and the GeekDesks are awesome. Good benefits.

Cons

The workload can be overwhelming at times, but somehow I still don't find this stressful.

Keep the good things that make working at this company so great. You're doing a great job so far.

Working hard and having a blast

I have been working at ShipStation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun Start-up environment - team lunches - beer fridays - your work can have real impact on the future / success of the company

Cons

Nothing really to mention as far as cons - it's a fast moving start-up in a competitive space - priorities change so might not be the best place for someone looking for easy sailing

Keep growing a great team of folks who want to do good things and really be a service that customers need and love.

A crazy and uncomfortable place to work. BEWARE of upper management seeding reviews.

I have been working at ShipStation full-time

Pros

If you are friends with the CEO you can pretty much do whatever you like. Compensation is good.

Cons

LOTS of firings, everybody is unhappy. I can't put too many details in the review because upper management is constantly crusading against anything negative and they will fire anyone that happens to say anything bad.

It's very clear here that there is only one rule at this company: be friends with upper management. If you aren't, you are constantly under fire, regardless of your actual performance.

I don't think any will help at this point. Get a new CEO and an HR department

Great company ruined by the erratic and hostle management style

I worked at ShipStation full-time

Pros

Fabulous product and customers. Company has found a solid market and is growing rapidly.
    Seems like a fun place to work for the most part and has the usual free drinks and snacks. Co-workers are super nice and pleasant to work with. Used to be an energetic but relaxed place to work but those days are gone.

Cons

Paranoid CEO is on constant search for anyone with negative feedback. Can you spot his review? Regular unannounced firings. You find out someone is gone when you walk past their empty desk. Employees are forced to gossip to find out what's happening with company since no one tells them.

The nonstop potty mouth and degrading sexual innuendo from management is very offensive not to mention the naked guy in the holiday photo that everyone was required to pose with. We want to have fun but this isn't middle school.
    Talk honestly and openly to your employees and let them know what's happening unless you want to encourage gossip and rumors.