Shmoop

Account executive

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Shmoop

Pros

Freedom to make your own schedule. Didn't have manager breathing down your neck for numbers everyday. Marketing material provided.

Cons

3 day product training then isolation for the remainder of time spent with company. I like to be around others doing the same work as me because it helps me learn and provides a competitive environment.

Excellent Side gig

Former Employee - Data Entry in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Shmoop part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great side job, a lot of freedom with how you manage your time.

Cons

Not stable work, the projects are not regular

Good side job

Current Employee - Content Writer (Independent Contractor) in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Content Writer (Independent Contractor) in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Shmoop

Pros

The editors respond quickly to emails and are very supportive. Projects are fun and challenging to complete. Work from home. Deadlines are flexible if you provide enough notice to your editor. The revision process is generally painless and requests for revisions are generally clear enough that only one set of revisions is required. It's a great source for supplemental income.

Cons

The pay isn't enough for the amount of time projects take to complete. The invoicing deadlines are changed sporadically, which sometimes means you can't invoice for a project until the next pay period.

Increase pay for projects.

Great place to work as a contractor

I have been working at Shmoop

Pros

Excellent pay and friendly people. You choose your own hours, but there are mandatory calls during the week.

Cons

I often feel very micromanaged and, for me, the pressure of quotas is too much to handle

Fun side gig!

Current Employee - Content Writer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Shmoop as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with, very communicative when you have questions, can be flexible about deadlines with enough advance notice, assignments allow you to use your expertise and creativity, great way to get experience working in content development, can work from home

Cons

Pay per project may be considered low, depending on how much time projects take to complete; assignments requiring LaTeX coding can be particularly tedious to complete

Great startup for young writers

I have been working at Shmoop as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Shmoop works on a very specific model, and their projects for writers are best for graduate students and others looking for side, freelance work. If you stick with them long enough and prove your worth, the pay is very acceptable. Great people to work with, and plenty of opportunity to learn a lot.

Cons

Some communication and organization issues, but they are a rapidly growing company, so some of that is expected.

Tons of work, little pay, zero support

Current Employee - Content Writer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Shmoop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working online, on your own time

Cons

Writing for Shmoop was a largely negative experience. The standard of work requested is high (which it should be as we're talking about student education here). However, the expectations are vague and for my part, the assigned editor did not reply to emails, did not give feedback and generally provided very little support. Work was required to be in on or before the deadline (again, as it should be) but without answers to critical questions, that work then needed to be revised and modified (feedback you'd get just shy of the invoice deadline and so you scramble to get it done so you can get paid on time). The result is that the tasks take far longer than they should and that the number of hours required to do the job increases. Since you aren't paid by the hour, but by the project, there isn't much you can do to improve your ability to work efficiently and you might be told your payments will have to wait until next month as the revisions weren't done or worse, the feedback wasn't provided until after the billing deadline passed. In the end, the hourly rate of pay is so low that it isn't worth the hassle of dealing with the absent editorial staff.

Writers need better support, editors need to reply to emails promptly and include feedback. Writers and editors need better training on the goals for the project.

Fun company to work for

Former Employee - Module Writer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Module Writer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Shmoop as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible and intelligent editors and liaisons, always available to discuss the work.
    Student focused values.
    Fair compensation.
    Editors will give you some latitude in choosing what books for you to write on. You can get into a pretty good set-up with how you write your module, which can help your workflow.

Cons

The work can get a little formulaic; the work is fairly compensate, though it becomes a little boring after the first few modules, and then the compensation doesn't seem to fit so well. Module is fixed; some areas are less interesting and harder to do than others.

Great experience!

I have been working at Shmoop as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent culture. Great experience overall, and much room for growth in the future too. Would recommend to anyone.

Cons

Salary is not too great, although definitely reasonable.

Needs to pay at least twice as much

I have been working at Shmoop as a contractor

Pros

The two best things about being a freelance writer for Shmoop are the amount you learn the excellent editors. They're encouraging, responsive, and fun, and they always pay on time. However, the pay is abysmal. On average, you can expect to make about $900 (before taxes) for every 20-25k words you write. For the education level and quality they want, they should be paying a minimum of four times that. For the amount you have to write every month just to pay your bills, you could be cranking out a novel. I find myself getting very discouraged and feeling undervalued.

Cons

The pay rate is terrible.