Shoe Carnival Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

3.3

Clifton E. Sifford

Pros
  • Learn a lot about shoes and good customer service (in 3 reviews)

• Work involves mostly customer service mixed with stocking, moving shoes around (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work very long hours into the night (in 5 reviews)

• Have worked full time for four years but the management won't make me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Former Sales Associate - Great Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, NC

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get a great employee discount, managers and coworkers were always nice, fun place to work, get to work more hours if someone calls out :)

Cons

Rude customers, get sent home early if not making the day (sales wise) and almost no weekends off unless requested it.

Give harder working employees more hours.
    Arrange schedule so everyone has at least one weekend a month off.

In need of consistant upper mangement and clear direction for company

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The fast pace in some locations and good selection of merchandise makes it easy to sell to customers.

Cons

The company has no real identity. One day they want to focus on bringing "better brands" in women's footwear to select stores (like Calvin Kline, Anne Kline, Report, Etc). The next day they ask us to set up clearance tables outside of the stores for over a month while boxes and shoes get rained on, have bird droppings all over them, it's a mess and makes us look like a bargain bin. If they want to focus on higher end footwear and try to draw a more sophisticated crowd, fine. They need a way to balance their liquidation procedures AND the better brand image they wish to create. Even in the newer store models there is still this feeling of, "I'm walking into Value City."

Be transparent, fair and consistent across all channels. Benefits are fine, but instead of trying to increase time off (which most General Managers can never use in a year AND loose on their anniversary date), why not increase wages? In trying to attract a better customer, we need better employees. The only way to get better employees is NOT to offer part time associates the lowest minimum wage the state the store resides in offers, it is to create a competitive work space where people WANT to work for you because of what you offer them. The application pool is flooded with "I need a job" types who have little passion to offer the organization. Be attentive to your team. LISTEN to the field management team. Get all your buyers and buying staff on the same page. Kick the IT department in the behind to get them to actually DO their job and take care of what the stores' say they need, not what they think we need. Get regional managers on the same page and make them adhere to company rules and regulations and not make things confusing for their region by having their own set of rules. This is a good company, but they have no idea who they want to be right now.

Floor supervisor

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A lot of variety to the job!
    If the store is running the companies concepts correctly the atmosphere can be alot of fun; trivia, games, contests, etc...

Cons

As most retail enviorments not enough workers. And most part timers are students whos work habits are not always the best. No hours provided for training.
    Alot expected of the management especially around holidays.
    Schedule constantly changing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Above average retail management experience.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time for more than a year

Pros

Base salary is fair.
    PTO is reasonable, I believe I was receiving three paid weeks a year.
    Shoe Carnival creates a fast paced environment that I enjoyed. You constantly create new plans throughout the day to meet your sales goals. You have a lot of tools and options you can use to meet those goals.

Cons

Shoe Carnival is trying to rapidly expand. Unfortunately, some of the locations they hope to open fall through, leading those who were prepared to be promoted to be stuck in their current position.
    Work - Life balance is typical for retail. Being management you work a lot, including coming in early and staying past your scheduled shift often.
    Base salary is nice, plus you get a little more for the extra hours you work. Unfortunately, the more you work the less you get paid.
    401K program is on the low end of the spectrum: They match 50% of up to 4% of what you contribute.

Come up with a way that allows management to move between regions. I felt like I was stuck in mine because I didn't know about opportunities outside of it.
    Come up with a career path for those who wish to move towards the corporate headquarters.

Great Benefits and Growth Opportunities

Current Employee - Cash Lead
    Current Employee - Cash Lead

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Full-time benefit packages are great! Paid time off for full-time employees. Very easy to move up in this company.....from sales associate to dept leads to management to corporate. One of the most successful shoe companies in the business.

Cons

Management changes often, which makes it a little difficult to get on a set routine. Customers can be challenging at times also!!!

It's okay and laid back when the regional manager is not caught up in his feelings.

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about working here at Shoe Carnival is the easy work and laid back days.

Cons

The worst thing is the inconsistencies of corporate and regional managers.

Advice to regional manager is learn the demographics of the stores you are over. My location is in Alabama and stop comparing stores to your store 3 in Indiana. Stop coming in stores changing the flow of shoes because you feel some type of way that morning and then your boss change it the next visit. It makes the company look incompetent which majority in higher authority are. And stop trying to make people become GM certified. Once again you have good test takers but are horrible managers that are clueless on managing a store. Can we please have our Thanksgiving Day back so we can spend with our families like you do with yours? I know that is laughable to you.

Stay Away from one in SA!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time for less than a year

Pros

The goal of the company and the aim towards a more fun environment is different

Cons

Questionable management
    Little to no training
    Deadening work environment
    You are a tool

Employees are people too. Don't show favoritism.

Promises made, but never kept.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent job experience for high school kids, steady pay checks with biweekly cycles, discounts on merchandise

Cons

Management, training although better in the end, workload displacement between management and hourly employees

Train your associates and hire better people for the job. Most individuals that worked there when I did were high school students that did not care about company performance and were easily discouraged by upper management when sales declined. If management wants to promote someone for months, make that happen. Don't just keep it up in the air and then let the talk of promotion die.

Conservative Organization

Current Employee - Mic Person  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Mic Person in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time

Pros

The people,discount, some leadership, some rules are considerate of employees, job security, annual pay raises, regional management is the only logical management at times. Very connected departments. Excellent LP.

Cons

Outdated policies, careless management, inexperienced managers, stores are centrally controlled, power is not shared, floor supervisors are basically sales associates with keys to the front door. Sales leads do not really lead they are puppets of leadership.

Modernize policies

it was very laid back didn't really strain myself maybe that's why their base pay is 7.25

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time

Pros

got a 20% discount which doesn't really drop anything.

Cons

time-off is when my general manager tried to be dumb about it. Promotions well there were space to fill in for kids and mens lead but never wanted to give the raise which I found out was only about 27cents not worth the stress.95th st. quivira rd. overland park kansas

Worked for Shoe Carnival? Contribute to the Community!