Shoe Carnival

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
3.1

Clifton E. Sifford

Pros
  • Learn a lot about shoes and good customer service (in 3 reviews)

• Work involves mostly customer service mixed with stocking, moving shoes around (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work very long hours into the night (in 5 reviews)

• Have worked full time for four years but the management won't make me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The Worst Place I've EVER Worked

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount is decent 25% off of all your purchases.

Cons

Slow pace, incredibly low starting salary for all employees, no commission, workplace favoritism, regional managers stop by every so often to just be condescending and rude but they have no idea what they're actually doing. I had a higher up get on me for some arbitrary issue with a customer then i watched as she struggled to work a cash register.
    This company is an absolute joke. I worked with a racist manager, Casey... she made us follow around black customers. Then her favorite little race coded topic was "lazy people on welfare." I've had my General Manager Kristina Hayes accuse people of being drunk on the job. There was one time my GM "borrowed" money from my drawer and another black young man who was a cashier. She said it was accounted for but somehow there was EXACTLY $5 missing from both of our drawers. Then my GM would take 2 hour lunch breaks and hound me over the 2way when she felt I was taking to long in the bathroom. When I called JR, the regional manager to talk about my grievances, he took me to the back and yelled at me about how there is no favoritism going on in this company... yea right. When I told him there was some paperwork and a training video that were somewhat contradictory and unclear on policy, he refused to let me review either. I remember my coworker was telling me that JR called him into the office and showed him a video of him and I smiling during a slow day and JR says to him "What was so funny?" Oh and how could I forget Greg, the leader of security. This guy is a failed cop who would die for shoe carnival. I've had this guy follow me out of the store when I came to get my check on my day off. I mean this company was just literally a nightmare. I could go on and on with horror stories and I was only there for a few months. There's a reason why their turnover rate is so high.. it's like 80 percent. They tell upper management that the employees are college kids or that they're just no good but nope. I worked there for like 6 months and saw 5 people quit or get fired. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!!!

You hire some horrible managers. I know your company turnover rate is extremely high. You hire terrible General managers who do NO work, and you've got regional managers who are not reasonable or respectful to their subordinates in the LEAST. Company culture starts from the top down.. there needs to be major changes made to this company on all levels.

It's okay and laid back when the regional manager is not caught up in his feelings.

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about working here at Shoe Carnival is the easy work and laid back days.

Cons

The worst thing is the inconsistencies of corporate and regional managers.

Advice to regional manager is learn the demographics of the stores you are over. My location is in Alabama and stop comparing stores to your store 3 in Indiana. Stop coming in stores changing the flow of shoes because you feel some type of way that morning and then your boss change it the next visit. It makes the company look incompetent which majority in higher authority are. And stop trying to make people become GM certified. Once again you have good test takers but are horrible managers that are clueless on managing a store. Can we please have our Thanksgiving Day back so we can spend with our families like you do with yours? I know that is laughable to you.

Stay Away from one in SA!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time for less than a year

Pros

The goal of the company and the aim towards a more fun environment is different

Cons

Questionable management
    Little to no training
    Deadening work environment
    You are a tool

Employees are people too. Don't show favoritism.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seriously

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of freedom . You aren't pressured to sell anything . You basically just have to show up .

Cons

The management is sexist . The raises suck . I worked there for a year and got a 7 cent raise and they never gave me my 3 or 6 month evaluation .

Teach your staff to sell . Set personal sale goals , and promote from within the company more often .

Be careful

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The Company is growing rapidly, and there are lots of GM and SM positions available. After the GM level, you have no way of growing with the company unless the Regional "likes you"! Hard work and dedication is not rewarded, it’s who you know.

Cons

In order to move up, you must be a member of the "good old boys club"! It's NOT about how hard you work or even if you’re a great worker, it's about if the Regional "likes" you or not! The Regional Managers have way too much power and the Divisional Managers don't have the time or care about what the Regionals are doing. I have worked for this company for a long time and this opinion is also believed by MANY other managers. Regional Managers treat their management staff like crap! They don't care about your personal life it's all about Shoe Carnival only. The Regional managers also need to stop telling lies about your career growth.

You need to have Regional Managers that CARE about the management team they lead. In order to spend some time away from work for family matters it takes an "act of congress" and you must answer a million questions first! The upper management team does not care about their people, it’s all about "what have you done for us mentality". If you take care of your people, they will take care of you! That’s management 101, and Shoe Carnival has never understood that!!!!

Working for Shoe Carnival is like traveling the road to nowhere.

I have been working at Shoe Carnival

Pros

Actually, once full-time you do get quite a bit of personal time off as well as vacation time. You can pesonalize how you run your store with limitations though.

Cons

Ever changing policies not communicated to management. Example: Working really hard as an assistant to get promoted and finding out the position NOW pays $10000 a year less. Willing to relocate anywhere for any salary is what company wants. Qualities undefined for management positions in store with no standard hiring requirements. Hard work does not get noticed.

Don't boast "Quality of Life" for your GM's when there isn't any. Take advantage energenic people with incentives and drop the "Old World" ways of corporate budgeting. Some management may have the key's to your sucess but to buried in day to day grind.

Terrible, with no room for growth.

I worked at Shoe Carnival

Pros

Some of the people there are easy to get a long with.

Cons

Can be chaotic during the holiday, and the upper level work their employee to death.

Don't work your employees to death.

Been here part time for for a year with no full time opportunity available definitely a job for someone in high school

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time for more than a year

Pros

25% discount on all merchandise with reasonable business hours, decent people at least at my location, and flexible schedule.

Cons

Sometimes the customers can be a bit much. The GM seems to be a bit incompetent, no room for advancement, the pay is very low, favoritism, and the company investigates its own employees for internal theft more than customer theft. I wish the people from corporate would come work in the stores to get an idea of what really goes on and see that we are well underpaid for what we do. Also having to go outside and manually unload a truck no matter what the weather is SUCKS!!

Learn to appreciate your loyal workers and actually get to know your employees. Also having to take a test to be promoted is asinine whatever happened to just training your employees to do their jobs, just because you can pass a test doesn't mean you're mgt material.

Not a great Co. to work for...

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good discounts on shoes for employees

Cons

Long hours of refacing over 40000 pairs of shoes each day

Lower your daily and monthly sales targets; they are unrealistic

Shoe Carnival Floor Sup.

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoy leading my own team, we have employee friends & family events a few times a year which offers additional discounts to associates.

Cons

There is no accountability when it comes to upper management (salaried associates). They do not have to clock in or out and it leaves too many opportunities for them to take advantage of the system.

Accountability and consequences for not following policies.

Worked for Shoe Carnival? Contribute to the Community!