Shoe Carnival

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Clifton E. Sifford

Pros:
  • "Learn a lot about shoes and good customer service"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Work involves mostly customer service mixed with stocking, moving shoes around"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "full time on paper so I get no benefits"
    in 4 reviews
  • "work very long hours into the night"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Seriously

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsA lot of freedom . You aren't pressured to sell anything . You basically just have to show up .

ConsThe management is sexist . The raises suck . I worked there for a year and got a 7 cent raise and they never gave me my 3 or 6 month evaluation .

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach your staff to sell . Set personal sale goals , and promote from within the company more often .

Be careful

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe Company is growing rapidly, and there are lots of GM and SM positions available. After the GM level, you have no way of growing with the company unless the Regional "likes you"! Hard work and dedication is not rewarded, it’s who you know.

ConsIn order to move up, you must be a member of the "good old boys club"! It's NOT about how hard you work or even if you’re a great worker, it's about if the Regional "likes" you or not! The Regional Managers have way too much power and the Divisional Managers don't have the time or care about what the Regionals are doing. I have worked for this company for a long time and this opinion is also believed by MANY other managers. Regional Managers treat their management staff like crap! They don't care about your personal life it's all about Shoe Carnival only. The Regional managers also need to stop telling lies about your career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to have Regional Managers that CARE about the management team they lead. In order to spend some time away from work for family matters it takes an "act of congress" and you must answer a million questions first! The upper management team does not care about their people, it’s all about "what have you done for us mentality". If you take care of your people, they will take care of you! That’s management 101, and Shoe Carnival has never understood that!!!!

Working for Shoe Carnival is like traveling the road to nowhere.

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsActually, once full-time you do get quite a bit of personal time off as well as vacation time. You can pesonalize how you run your store with limitations though.

ConsEver changing policies not communicated to management. Example: Working really hard as an assistant to get promoted and finding out the position NOW pays $10000 a year less. Willing to relocate anywhere for any salary is what company wants. Qualities undefined for management positions in store with no standard hiring requirements. Hard work does not get noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't boast "Quality of Life" for your GM's when there isn't any. Take advantage energenic people with incentives and drop the "Old World" ways of corporate budgeting. Some management may have the key's to your sucess but to buried in day to day grind.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible, with no room for growth.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the people there are easy to get a long with.

ConsCan be chaotic during the holiday, and the upper level work their employee to death.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't work your employees to death.

Not a great Co. to work for...

Floor Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGood discounts on shoes for employees

ConsLong hours of refacing over 40000 pairs of shoes each day

Advice to Senior ManagementLower your daily and monthly sales targets; they are unrealistic

Shoe Carnival Floor Sup.

Floor Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsI enjoy leading my own team, we have employee friends & family events a few times a year which offers additional discounts to associates.

ConsThere is no accountability when it comes to upper management (salaried associates). They do not have to clock in or out and it leaves too many opportunities for them to take advantage of the system.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccountability and consequences for not following policies.

Like the people but ...

Floor Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsThe people I work with are great. The discount is nice. That's really it, the only pros I can think of.

ConsThe benefits are mediocre at best. There is a training program in place, but I've been told the stores get no extra payroll for training. The pay is unbelievably low, especially considering the task load.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to actually value your employees, give them a real benefits package. All employees that are sacrificing holidays should get overtime for it. And your certification test only tell you someone has a good memory, not that someone has common sense. That's what you can do for your employees. For your customers you could take a realistic look at your task load vs. payroll. Every week everything is rearranged depending on your stock, some of this is to be expected, but ... Also a more realistic time table for your seasonal flow. The stores need to HAVE the shoes before they rearrange them all. All of this is pulling time from the customers. And update the music. Jerry Lee lewis may be quirky but it's not fun, your music is all over the place, but 95% of it is out dated and just makes the company look like that. Invest time into training your employees, then trust your manager's judgment. Someone spouting off memorized answers does not tell you that person will be a good supervisor.

Annoying place to work-decent starter job

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsFor the most part its a friendly staff. They are very careful with their employees. General Manager is great. Major Holidays off.

ConsBias towards certain employees- leads. Management under the GM needs a lot of work. Treating everyone the same would be a great start. The pay sucks! .17 raise after a year- not worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent with treatment.

Easy job most of the time.

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsEasy. Clearance shoes. Flexible schedule somewhat.

ConsRetail hours. Poor management from the district manager to the store manager. No one stays long term. No culture. No values.

Good job for college students.

Columbia, SC

ProsFlexible work schedule good for people in school.

ConsLimited room for advancement and non competitive pay.

Worked for Shoe Carnival? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shoe Carnival reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shoe Carnival CEO Clifton E. Sifford. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Shoe Carnival employees.