Shoe Carnival Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Clifton E. Sifford

Pros
  • The goal of the company and the aim towards a more fun environment is different (in 7 reviews)

• Paid time off for full-time employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and if you move into management they pretty much own you (in 6 reviews)

• Have worked full time for four years but the management won't make me (in 4 reviews)

1. No Movement

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other associates struggled as well, so we were all friends; a few managers were good at their jobs; discount on merchandise was okay

Cons

Low pay, no job movement, most managers are incompetent and push their work onto associates, horrible work hours, upper management does not care about work conditions

Advice to Management

Make associates want to stay (raises, incentives, show up more than once a year), hire managers that know how to do their job and care about it

2. Overall good

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time

Pros

Good people, lots of responsibility which yield the opportunity to learn many facets of the business. Pay and benefits are decent.

Cons

Communication is severely lacking at times, which impedes progress and reduces employee morale. Pay is somewhat stilted and is not always equivalent to workload or responsibility.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that have dedicated their career to the company, reward them, include them, and pay them what their worth is. Do not bog them down with politics.

3. Store manager

Pros

Wonderful company to work for.

Cons

Could pay higher salary to employees

Advice to Management

Pay more competitive salaries to managers.

5. great starter job

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love the environment love the workers and the customer are fun

Cons

Long hours during peak season just need to pay everyone a little more and open payroll

Advice to Management

Keep training associate to make them strong enough to keep doing better

6. Never worked there.

Pros

I love the shoes, I buy almost all my shoes here, I'm always glad to help look for shoes, and I think it will help me learn better work skills.

Cons

Challenges here would be that maybe some people are impatient and you have to keep clam, and if your on cashier to make sure you don't miss count the money and come out short at the end of the day .

Advice to Management

I'd be happy to work here .

7. Sales associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, OH

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience, there was a small group of employees and therefor you got close with everyone. Mostly there was consistent hours and schedule.

Cons

Seemed like during the busy seasons there was no meaning to what you signed on for with your availability. There could be days that you aren't available that you got scheduled for. They would make you feel as if you had to work.

Advice to Management

Take care of your we employees more. It seemed as if there was always pressure from above and the feeling that your could be let go at any moment if it was cheaper for the corporation.

Floor Supervisor

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's really not much that I can think of putting here.... Most of the hired staff is nice and easy to work with.

Cons

Not exactly sure where to start... low pay for workers AND managers. Unreasonable expectations in a small amount of time. The regional manager will come in and bark orders and point fingers and expect an obscene amount of work to be done without offering any ideas of how to get it done, or any help at all. As a floor supervisor, I'm expected to run a whole department by myself (make the plans, make room for new shoes, get security sensors put on them, and get them on the floor within 6 days) while also doing the same job as the SM and the GM but just making WAY less money. If you have no life and you love being stressed out and mad all of the time this job is definitely for you.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced people to take some load off the lower management's shoulders. Incentives make people work for you... actually pay your managers what they should be paid! No one is going to want to do an obscene amount of work for such little pay.

Floor Sup

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Pros

Great general manger (Mr. Young) and over all staff. Positive work atmosphere overall. Requires a strong work ethic therefore the weak don't last long so you are surrounded by strong team members.

Cons

Pay wasn't the best. Even at a management position the pay was hourly. High turnover due to being a retail climate and the inability to offer better wages due operation budget. Have to maintain a certain profit percentage.

Advice to Management

Most of you (mangers) have vast knowledge and experience! You can do better at other companies!

10. Sales Lead

Pros

Is a fun family friendly environment!

Cons

Scattered & disorganized in operations.

Advice to Management

Train your employees well and efficiently.

11. Visual Coordinator

Current Employee - Visual Coordinator in Newburgh, IN
    Current Employee - Visual Coordinator in Newburgh, IN

I have been working at Shoe Carnival (More than a year)

Pros

Fun growing company, great atmosphere, working hands on, good benefits

Cons

Hard to move up, some directors are difficult, strange dress code between departments, low pay

RSS Feed </> Embed