Shoe Carnival

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Clifton E. Sifford

Pros
  • Learn a lot about shoes and good customer service(in 3 reviews)

• Work involves mostly customer service mixed with stocking, moving shoes around(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work very long hours into the night(in 5 reviews)

• Have worked full time for four years but the management won't make me(in 4 reviews)

Conservative Organization

Mic Person (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe people,discount, some leadership, some rules are considerate of employees, job security, annual pay raises, regional management is the only logical management at times. Very connected departments. Excellent LP.

ConsOutdated policies, careless management, inexperienced managers, stores are centrally controlled, power is not shared, floor supervisors are basically sales associates with keys to the front door. Sales leads do not really lead they are puppets of leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize policies

Above average retail management experience.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Bradenton, FL

ProsBase salary is fair.
    PTO is reasonable, I believe I was receiving three paid weeks a year.
    Shoe Carnival creates a fast paced environment that I enjoyed. You constantly create new plans throughout the day to meet your sales goals. You have a lot of tools and options you can use to meet those goals.

ConsShoe Carnival is trying to rapidly expand. Unfortunately, some of the locations they hope to open fall through, leading those who were prepared to be promoted to be stuck in their current position.
    Work - Life balance is typical for retail. Being management you work a lot, including coming in early and staying past your scheduled shift often.
    Base salary is nice, plus you get a little more for the extra hours you work. Unfortunately, the more you work the less you get paid.
    401K program is on the low end of the spectrum: They match 50% of up to 4% of what you contribute.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a way that allows management to move between regions. I felt like I was stuck in mine because I didn't know about opportunities outside of it.
    Come up with a career path for those who wish to move towards the corporate headquarters.

it was very laid back didn't really strain myself maybe that's why their base pay is 7.25

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgot a 20% discount which doesn't really drop anything.

Constime-off is when my general manager tried to be dumb about it. Promotions well there were space to fill in for kids and mens lead but never wanted to give the raise which I found out was only about 27cents not worth the stress.95th st. quivira rd. overland park kansas

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Benefits and Growth Opportunities

Cash Lead (Current Employee)

ProsFull-time benefit packages are great! Paid time off for full-time employees. Very easy to move up in this company.....from sales associate to dept leads to management to corporate. One of the most successful shoe companies in the business.

ConsManagement changes often, which makes it a little difficult to get on a set routine. Customers can be challenging at times also!!!

Not a great Co. to work for...

Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGood discounts on shoes for employees

ConsLong hours of refacing over 40000 pairs of shoes each day

Advice to Senior ManagementLower your daily and monthly sales targets; they are unrealistic

great place

Cashier (Former Employee) North Little Rock, AR

Prosfun environment, good discount, fun managers

Conslong hours on tax free day

Working here has been a good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat employees
    Alright customers
    Good managers
    Decent working environment
    Respect religious and important holidays.

ConsSchedule inconvenience
    Quick and terrible training

Shoe Carnival Floor Sup.

Floor Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsI enjoy leading my own team, we have employee friends & family events a few times a year which offers additional discounts to associates.

ConsThere is no accountability when it comes to upper management (salaried associates). They do not have to clock in or out and it leaves too many opportunities for them to take advantage of the system.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccountability and consequences for not following policies.

Like the people but ...

Floor Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsThe people I work with are great. The discount is nice. That's really it, the only pros I can think of.

ConsThe benefits are mediocre at best. There is a training program in place, but I've been told the stores get no extra payroll for training. The pay is unbelievably low, especially considering the task load.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to actually value your employees, give them a real benefits package. All employees that are sacrificing holidays should get overtime for it. And your certification test only tell you someone has a good memory, not that someone has common sense. That's what you can do for your employees. For your customers you could take a realistic look at your task load vs. payroll. Every week everything is rearranged depending on your stock, some of this is to be expected, but ... Also a more realistic time table for your seasonal flow. The stores need to HAVE the shoes before they rearrange them all. All of this is pulling time from the customers. And update the music. Jerry Lee lewis may be quirky but it's not fun, your music is all over the place, but 95% of it is out dated and just makes the company look like that. Invest time into training your employees, then trust your manager's judgment. Someone spouting off memorized answers does not tell you that person will be a good supervisor.

It IS retail

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLots of fun, stay busy, and a great family atmosphere. You have control over things that you don't in other retail environments

ConsUpper management expectations, decisions, and overall leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper crust management needs to either be changed for find a clue. Grasping at straws for promotions and deals to run for customers. Need to get a better understanding of their overall customer base and what they want/need.

Worked for Shoe Carnival? Contribute to the Community!