Shoe Carnival Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
109 reviews filtered by
2.8
Clifton E. Sifford

Pros
  • Benefits are good for full time employees, overall a fun environment (in 7 reviews)

• Full-time benefit packages are great (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and if you move into management they pretty much own you (in 6 reviews)

• Have worked full time for four years but the management won't make me (in 4 reviews)

1. Worst place to work at.

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The staff is great. Everyone gets along very well. Nice shoes, employee discount ok. Nice customers, managers are nice ( in store managers).

Cons

Run this company looks for ways to terminate you if they don't like you. Human resource dept does nothing when you make a complaint and they try to cover up every thing when it comes to one of there own. The male managers are perverts upper management does nothing. They expect you to run aisles, put out shipment, help customers, do transfers, ship to home, and be your own loss prevention with a few hours.

Get rid of your regional ' s they do nothing for the company, but waste money.

2. Great people, terrible company.

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Specialist in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with on a daily basis are generally great hard working people. Good benefits

Cons

Terrible pay for most positions. A floor supervisor for instance has all the same responsibilities as a store manager and receives much less per hour.

Pay your a employees what they are actually worth. Stop trying to expand the company so fast and invest some time and money in current stores and employees.

3. Manager

I have been working at Shoe Carnival

Pros

Fun environment with freedom to make an impact.

Cons

Can be inconsistent with disciple.

Go back to ideas driven up instead of being pushed down.

5. Worked for 1.5 years

Current Employee - Cashier in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The management is very personable and helpful. There are always extra hours that you can pick up.

Cons

If you're part-time you are only scheduled 3 days per week. You are usually working around major holidays because that's when sales increase.

Work better on scheduling employees as well as working with them on the hours.

Recruited from another retailor..Started as a Key Carrying Floor SuperVisior. left 2 years later as a Assistant manag

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor, SM
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor, SM

I worked at Shoe Carnival

Pros

Great concept fun Atmosphere. when presented naturally and not forced.....great store level hard working employees.

Cons

Regional managers had insane unreasonable expectations, they made many demands of me with no realistic solutions.. frustrated and demoralized most of our staff. It was way to stressful for the small amount of pay i was offered. i left when they were cutting fulltime staff to 30-34 hours..we hired no full time employees. in my experience part time folks arent motivated to excel. sadly the store was profitable. no one can live on 30 hours a week.!

Take a deep breathe and be a bit more realistic. this company is way to motivated by making there share holders happy and not concerning themselves better product offerings and with properly paying there employees. this lack of vision will eventually bite them in the butt. In this environment its very important to keep great employees. No one can live on 30 hours a week. I once had a regional Loss prevention manager ask me why i had so much stolen merchandise.. he was clueless when i told him i could afford only 2 employees on the salesfloor. he had no real solutions.

A Surprise in Store Indeed!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is good, the mic concept is actually pretty fun and my co-workers were really fun.

Cons

I'm going to start with the schedule: They rarely gives you a weekend off. If someone call that he/she can't make it (often on weekends) they call you with a few time ahead and if you can't they get upset with you. You have to work on holidays and it's a nightmare. The shifts are waaaaaay too long and they give you like 30 min break. You will not get family time, you are expected to live, eat, and breathe Shoe Carnival.
    Promotions: I have been working there for a year and there is a lot of opportunity to promote some good employees, but they prefer to hire someone else from outside. One of the sales associates I work with, didn't do anything she was rude and did not worked well at all, got promoted to cashier, like REALLY!? apparently you have to be a bad employee to get a promotion.
    Corporate: They sent they regional manager a couple of days back and he wants to do a lot of changes that will not help the store at all and will only add work to us. He is rude and he doesn't like anything.

Promote people who works hard, do not promote associates only because of your favoritism. Give more incentives to people who deserves it and more bonus throughout the year.

8. Gray area

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Best job I've had so far, friendly coworkers.

Cons

Not enough pay roll and not being able to sit when we're there for 8+ hours besides on our break.

Theres a certain manager who likes to stand around and tell people what to do. STOP.

9. This is the best.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very friendly business. Great with customers and made sure you were happy. BOGO

Cons

Management sometimes had nasty attitudes. Worse than the employees.

Sometimes dont act like the employees friends so they will listen to you .

10. I am enjoying the experience of leading and selling.

I have been working at Shoe Carnival

Pros

Discount, learning experience, opportunities for promotion.

Cons

Salary is under the average, no bonuses or raises. I don't like the company's procedure for promotions.

Value your good employees. They are an asset to your store and company.

11. Horrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Being a mic person and making announcements is pretty fun. It's something you can't do in other retail environments.

Cons

I'm constantly being teased and picked on by my managers and supervisors. For the past several weeks, my hours have been knocked down to 1 day a week. If you don't get enough money in for the day, they start forcing people to go home and that knocks down your hours even more. Even though you have no hours, they still hire new people, so that's even LESS hours. I would talk to my manager about it, but the one time I wanted my hours changed one day, he went off on me saying that I needed to take the shift that I was given or not come in at all. I took that day off and lost even more hours.

Treat your employees with respect. This is supposed to be a 'fun' place to work, but we're pretty much told to not have fun. I would report my managers for harassment against me, but I'm going to quit instead.