Shoe Carnival

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
2.9

Clifton E. Sifford

Pros
  • Benefits are good for full time employees, overall a fun environment (in 7 reviews)

• Full-time benefit packages are great (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and if you move into management they pretty much own you (in 6 reviews)

• Have worked full time for four years but the management won't make me (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, learn multiple things, possibly working with good co workers. Laid back job if quota is met, and it's a good company overall.

Cons

Limited payroll, costumers can be very unforgiving even if you did your best, it feels lame when you don't carry a size a costumer wanted, corprate focuses on the wrong things sometimes and causes chaos which your team is blamed for and cleaning the stock room when you clearly don't have time, you have to risk upsetting costumers to clean up the back since that tight payroll doesn't allow much to get done.

Managers do very well as I've seen. Maybe if quota isn't met they need to be firm about the objective and make sure the workers are working because there's days I close up the whole store and the manager is talking to my other coworker which should be closing as well... :l

Good Learning Experience

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Regional Mgr was awesome, and there were great resources if there were any questions.

Cons

They REALLY need to look into the surrounding area before deciding upon a location. I worked at a store in a horrible part of town.

Keep on keeping on.

Horrible

Former Employee - Cash Lead
    Former Employee - Cash Lead

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The discount was sometimes nice

Cons

Low pay, horrible hours, unwillingness to promote female employees

Been here part time for for a year with no full time opportunity available definitely a job for someone in high school

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (more than an year)

Pros

25% discount on all merchandise with reasonable business hours, decent people at least at my location, and flexible schedule.

Cons

Sometimes the customers can be a bit much. The GM seems to be a bit incompetent, no room for advancement, the pay is very low, favoritism, and the company investigates its own employees for internal theft more than customer theft. I wish the people from corporate would come work in the stores to get an idea of what really goes on and see that we are well underpaid for what we do. Also having to go outside and manually unload a truck no matter what the weather is SUCKS!!

Learn to appreciate your loyal workers and actually get to know your employees. Also having to take a test to be promoted is asinine whatever happened to just training your employees to do their jobs, just because you can pass a test doesn't mean you're mgt material.

In need of consistant upper mangement and clear direction for company

Current Employee - General Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Shoe Carnival full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The fast pace in some locations and good selection of merchandise makes it easy to sell to customers.

Cons

The company has no real identity. One day they want to focus on bringing "better brands" in women's footwear to select stores (like Calvin Kline, Anne Kline, Report, Etc). The next day they ask us to set up clearance tables outside of the stores for over a month while boxes and shoes get rained on, have bird droppings all over them, it's a mess and makes us look like a bargain bin. If they want to focus on higher end footwear and try to draw a more sophisticated crowd, fine. They need a way to balance their liquidation procedures AND the better brand image they wish to create. Even in the newer store models there is still this feeling of, "I'm walking into Value City."

Be transparent, fair and consistent across all channels. Benefits are fine, but instead of trying to increase time off (which most General Managers can never use in a year AND loose on their anniversary date), why not increase wages? In trying to attract a better customer, we need better employees. The only way to get better employees is NOT to offer part time associates the lowest minimum wage the state the store resides in offers, it is to create a competitive work space where people WANT to work for you because of what you offer them. The application pool is flooded with "I need a job" types who have little passion to offer the organization. Be attentive to your team. LISTEN to the field management team. Get all your buyers and buying staff on the same page. Kick the IT department in the behind to get them to actually DO their job and take care of what the stores' say they need, not what they think we need. Get regional managers on the same page and make them adhere to company rules and regulations and not make things confusing for their region by having their own set of rules. This is a good company, but they have no idea who they want to be right now.

Former Sales Associate - Great Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, NC

I worked at Shoe Carnival part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a great employee discount, managers and coworkers were always nice, fun place to work, get to work more hours if someone calls out :)

Cons

Rude customers, get sent home early if not making the day (sales wise) and almost no weekends off unless requested it.

Give harder working employees more hours.
    Arrange schedule so everyone has at least one weekend a month off.

The Worst Place I've EVER Worked

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is decent 25% off of all your purchases.

Cons

Slow pace, incredibly low starting salary for all employees, no commission, workplace favoritism, regional managers stop by every so often to just be condescending and rude but they have no idea what they're actually doing. I had a higher up get on me for some arbitrary issue with a customer then i watched as she struggled to work a cash register.
    This company is an absolute joke. I worked with a racist manager, Casey... she made us follow around black customers. Then her favorite little race coded topic was "lazy people on welfare." I've had my General Manager Kristina Hayes accuse people of being drunk on the job. There was one time my GM "borrowed" money from my drawer and another black young man who was a cashier. She said it was accounted for but somehow there was EXACTLY $5 missing from both of our drawers. Then my GM would take 2 hour lunch breaks and hound me over the 2way when she felt I was taking to long in the bathroom. When I called JR, the regional manager to talk about my grievances, he took me to the back and yelled at me about how there is no favoritism going on in this company... yea right. When I told him there was some paperwork and a training video that were somewhat contradictory and unclear on policy, he refused to let me review either. I remember my coworker was telling me that JR called him into the office and showed him a video of him and I smiling during a slow day and JR says to him "What was so funny?" Oh and how could I forget Greg, the leader of security. This guy is a failed cop who would die for shoe carnival. I've had this guy follow me out of the store when I came to get my check on my day off. I mean this company was just literally a nightmare. I could go on and on with horror stories and I was only there for a few months. There's a reason why their turnover rate is so high.. it's like 80 percent. They tell upper management that the employees are college kids or that they're just no good but nope. I worked there for like 6 months and saw 5 people quit or get fired. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!!!

You hire some horrible managers. I know your company turnover rate is extremely high. You hire terrible General managers who do NO work, and you've got regional managers who are not reasonable or respectful to their subordinates in the LEAST. Company culture starts from the top down.. there needs to be major changes made to this company on all levels.

Promises made, but never kept.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Shoe Carnival part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent job experience for high school kids, steady pay checks with biweekly cycles, discounts on merchandise

Cons

Management, training although better in the end, workload displacement between management and hourly employees

Train your associates and hire better people for the job. Most individuals that worked there when I did were high school students that did not care about company performance and were easily discouraged by upper management when sales declined. If management wants to promote someone for months, make that happen. Don't just keep it up in the air and then let the talk of promotion die.

Floor supervisor

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of variety to the job!
    If the store is running the companies concepts correctly the atmosphere can be alot of fun; trivia, games, contests, etc...

Cons

As most retail enviorments not enough workers. And most part timers are students whos work habits are not always the best. No hours provided for training.
    Alot expected of the management especially around holidays.
    Schedule constantly changing.

Above average retail management experience.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Shoe Carnival full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Base salary is fair.
    PTO is reasonable, I believe I was receiving three paid weeks a year.
    Shoe Carnival creates a fast paced environment that I enjoyed. You constantly create new plans throughout the day to meet your sales goals. You have a lot of tools and options you can use to meet those goals.

Cons

Shoe Carnival is trying to rapidly expand. Unfortunately, some of the locations they hope to open fall through, leading those who were prepared to be promoted to be stuck in their current position.
    Work - Life balance is typical for retail. Being management you work a lot, including coming in early and staying past your scheduled shift often.
    Base salary is nice, plus you get a little more for the extra hours you work. Unfortunately, the more you work the less you get paid.
    401K program is on the low end of the spectrum: They match 50% of up to 4% of what you contribute.

Come up with a way that allows management to move between regions. I felt like I was stuck in mine because I didn't know about opportunities outside of it.
    Come up with a career path for those who wish to move towards the corporate headquarters.