Shoe Sensation

Updated December 3, 2014
3.1

Tom Slover
1 Rating

Great opportunities for growth!

I have been working at Shoe Sensation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Shoe Sensation is growing rapidly and there are a tremendous opportunities to advance in the company.
    Shoe Sensation has a great work environment and employees truly enjoy their work. I sincerely feel that my job affects the entire company!
    Love the family feel shopping experience and great discount!

Cons

Advancement is sometimes limited due to distance between stores and often requires relocation.

Get more involved with the store teams and really know their employees at the field level.

Decent job

I have been working at Shoe Sensation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job itself is easy, as a manger you make the schedule, help process freight and oversee sales assessments. The upper management are decent people that actually care about your feelings and thoughts.

Cons

Salaried mangement are required to clock in and out and docked for minutes you are short your 46.5. 52 hour work weeks during busier periods are unnecessary if you have a good staff, otherwise they just want you to cover the whole week yourself. Lots of miscommunication in the company as a whole, office people can be hard to deal with and expect you to know everything. The schedule matrix is absurd, if you make your goal your hours are fine, if you go over your goals you could've used more hours, if you didnt make your goal but used the hours allowed for the goal rhen youll be over ???. Esp is a job requirement.

If you do not have enough faith in your salaried managers to work their required hours then hire more trustworthy people, we're either hourly or salary make up your mind.

Overall an okay job

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Warsaw, IN
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Warsaw, IN

I worked at Shoe Sensation part-time (less than an year)

Pros

talk with customers, see new styles of shoes, fast paced when busy, slows down a little when the store is not busy, team enviorment

Cons

pay is not the best, unrealistic goals, upper management does not realize what its like to be in the store, any customer complaint is your fault

Know what its like to be in the stores, sales goals are directly related to customers entering the store.

Sensational place to work if you're willing to put forth the effort.

I have been working at Shoe Sensation full-time

Pros

The company is in a rapid growth phase and this creates opportunities for employees at all levels that are willing to apply themselves. Excellent incentive programs even for hourly associates. Management genuinely cares about employees well-being.

Cons

Not for the faint of heart. Key performance indicators are monitored daily and everyone has a level of accountability equivalent to their position which can sometimes require a thick skin to weather a storm.

Employee on-boarding and training could be better. Part-time associates need a better road map to elevate their status and their wage which should lead to better employee retention.

Small company that tends to micromanage.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Shoe Sensation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is never overwhelming or too fast paced. You will personally meet the CEO of the company within the first year of working there.

Cons

The pay is very low. Even though a lot of the retail setting is moving away from the whole idea of the customer always being right, this small company seems to be stuck in that mode.

Sales Associate

I have been working at Shoe Sensation

Pros

Discount, easy job, not complicated, employee incentives for doing well

Cons

Not overly stimulating, little chance for advancement, VERY few hours if part-time

Loved my job

Former Employee - ASM II in Campbellsville, KY
    Former Employee - ASM II in Campbellsville, KY

I worked at Shoe Sensation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great customers, some wonderful employees, 30% discount for employees

Cons

Inconsistent hours, management and sales teams are changed often, upper management seems shady

Stuck in 1996

I have been working at Shoe Sensation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Family feel. Job is easy. Daily paperwork takes about 10 minutes.

Cons

1.No room for advancement. The stores are all at least an hour apart so transferring to a better location is not feasible.
    2. Salary..... Top managers make about 35K. There is a bonus program (good luck with that)
    3. (ties into #2) Asst Managers get 8.00 an hour. How can you get good people when the " Would you like fries with that" girl at McDonalds is making more?
    4. Company still thinks it is 1996. They do not have any way to buy online. They have an "If we ain't got it you don't need it" philosophy. They still accept checks!!!!!! I have not written a check in 15 years. The last check I processed was in the 90's.

1. Pay management & staff
    2. Open an online store. You will make as much money (with less overhead) as 5 stores. Then with increased profits maybe you can pay your people.

Very boring and not much chance to move up.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, TN

I have been working at Shoe Sensation

Pros

Most of the upper level management staff is pretty easy to get along with. The "selling" part of the job is not hard (most people come in the store knowing what they want). And most of all, its a friendly environment. I have traveled to a couple of stores in the Tennessee and Kentucky area and everyone has been very friendly and helpful. Plus because we do not work on commission the work environment is not hostile.

Cons

The pay is not that great and the chances to move up are limited. Although most of the upper level staff are great people, there are a few out there that are not so great. The process that the company as a whole takes to complete some tasks are not always well thought out.

Make sure you explain everything to your new employees. I remember coming in as a sales associate and being over whelmed because the person training me was pretty new themselves. Let people know when a job well done has been completed. And if something goes wrong that isn't completely drastic, explain the reasoning. Make sure that it does not happen again.

HORRIBLE

I have been working at Shoe Sensation

Pros

Easy work, good discount, friendly employees

Cons

They do not have a clue when it comes to running a business

Apply somewhere else, a larger company!!

Shoe Sensation Photos