Shoe Show

Add Photos

Robert Tucker

Good Experience

I have been working at Shoe Show

ProsA lot of reasons a lot of the reviews are so bad seem to be at the store level/district level. I'm a key holder and I make 12 an hour and then 2% commission which comes out to an extra $60 a week so the pay isn't so bad. They also don't mind if you get a little overtime as long as the store isn't dead. So overtime ends up being around $20 an hour after commission.

I'm in a new store so our systems aren't outdated we are running Windows 7. We also have a mini inventory computer along with a blue tooth printer. Walkie talkies with headsets As well. Sure we have dial up however it is a discount shoe store and little discounts like that add up.

ConsNo direct deposit which socks especially since there is 1200 stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet direct deposit!!

Low Pay

ProsEasy Work, Great Manager. Good Eniroment

ConsLow Pay, Hard to make commission

Worked as a manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Shoe Show full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt was a good learning opportunity and I could set my own schedule as long as I worked 45 hours per week. I was able to earn bonuses regularly.

ConsThe district manager was too harsh and negative. The pay was very low for the job and responsibilities. There were no raises and no real opportunity to advance or earn more I increased sales and was not recognized for this. The DM was always cutting back on the hours I could work my employees leaving the store understaffed unless I worked above and beyond the 45 hours. She also called me when I was on medical leave and pressured me to return early against medical advice.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive positive feedback when warranted.

Blatant disregard for employees. Poor training. No shoe guide to assist in customers' specific questions.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Shoe Show

Pros1. Most of the people that I worked with. 2. Employee discount. 3. The customers.

ConsOhhhhhhh sooooo many ... 1st on a store level.
1. Breaks - as a store employee, if you work an 8 hr shift or more, you have the option of taking two 10 minute breaks or, one 20 minute break or, clocking out for a 1/2 hr, the 1/2 hr is deducted from the 8 hr day. If an employee works between 4 hrs and 7 hrs and 59 minutes, the break time received is 10 minutes.
 2. The break room. There isn't a break room, there is a "break" table with 2 folding chairs and a step stool. The employees must take their break amongst the left shoes (we'll get to the left shoe a little later). Sometimes the employees have to share the "break" table covered with left shoes.
3. Since there is not an actual break room (at least in the store where I worked) this means that the company did not provide a refrigerator, microwave, or coffee maker. The store manager had to personally buy the refrigerator and microwave. The DM provided the store with a fax machine by donating his/her own fax machine.
4. The bathroom. The hot water is turned off (unbelievable!) I live in a state that during most winters, is freezing cold and the employees must wash their hands in ice-cold water. I wondered if the store manager had to personally buy the toilet paper and paper towels too.
5. If the store manager wants the store windows washed, he/she must either wash them his/herself, have a store employee wash them, or hire an outside source to wash them and pay for the service out of his/her personal money.
6. The left shoe. The left shoe of higher-priced shoes, or certain brands are put into the back room. They are grouped by brands, then by style, but not by size. The ends of the aisles aren't labeled, so you're running up and down the back room aisles trying to find the brand, then style, and then size.
7. Leaving the customer to wait, wait, and more waiting while running to the backroom to hunt down the left shoe, 1st by brand, then by style, and then searching for the correct size.
8. Dial-up internet, again, making the customer wait. The customer usually thinks there is something wrong with their credit/debit card because dial-up is sooooooooooo slow!
9. The company expects the store manager and key holders to approach suspected shoplifters while the person under suspicion is still in the store. The company also wants management to chase them down outside. #1 management is not trained in law enforcement and #2 the Shoe Show's pay is incredibly low, especially in trying to apprehend a thief.
10. Often the stores are staffed with one employee in the store, so while the one employee is in the backroom tracking down the left shoe or washing their hands in freezing cold water, the store could easily be ripped-off, because there a plenty of shoes in the store with both mates.
11. No bathrooms for the customer to use, causing a potential sale to leave the store and go elsewhere.
12. Also, no direct deposit.
On a personal level.
1. The store manager, after an approximate 30 second introduction to my spouse, a week later, made fun of my spouse twice to my co-worker and in front of me, and out in the store. If it was the manager's intent to get me to quit, he/she was successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the owner(s) - since you claim to be Christian, the root of all evil isn't having money, it is the love of money. You're cheap, and you're love of money proves that. Respect your employees.

I was a store manager for 14 years.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at Shoe Show full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood for a seasonal job

ConsThis company doesn't allow enough payroll hours to get task done & have great customer service. The managers are salaried & therefore worked a crazy amount of hours (55-60) each week in order to get task completed.Corp office treats you as a number not a person.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith this company you can't have much of a family life. Just remember, if it sounds to good to be true..... it usually is! They will tell you what you want to here until they no longer need you.

Good company to work for but sometimes very frustrating

Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Shoe Show full-time for more than 8 years

Prosfamily oriented -entrepreneurial spirit -solid financial footing

Conssystems badly out of date - treat the field employees as non participants, limited merchandise selection in stores- some seriously unsafe locations

Advice to Senior Managementget in touch with the field employees - they will let you know about your business

Hands down, the WORST place to work anywhere.

Concord, NC

I have been working at Shoe Show full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere is an understanding between co-workers and former employees. It's like surviving a natural disaster or traumatic event together. Sometimes, the only thing that gets you through a day is knowing you aren't completely adrift in a sea of crazy, and there are other people who know what you are dealing with.

ConsThe owners are greedy and horrible people. Mediocrity is rewarded. Management is out of touch with...everything. Pay is a joke. Employees are treated like stupid children, and women are treated even worse. There is no innovation, and employees are not allowed to offer any ideas on new ways of thinking. You are made to feel as though you need a hall pass for a trip to the restroom. Why? If you are discovered talking to a co-worker (even if it's business-related), you will be reprimanded. Department heads walk through their department multiple times a day to be sure everyone is in their seats. If you are away from your desk for longer than 90 seconds, someone will come find you (even in the restroom). Too much time and effort is spent on being sure everyone is working (sitting at your desk is equal to working) and not nearly enough time is being spent looking at the quality of work that is being produced. Bells, just like the ones that told you to change classes in school, ring to tell you when to begin work, end work, and begin and end your single 10 minute break of the day. You can't make this stuff up! On holidays and when there is bad weather, hourly employees are sent home, and salaried workers are forced to stay regardless. They will keep an employee away from their family and put them in dangerous conditions on the road simply because they care more about money than the people who work for them. Another example of this is that instead of removing mold in and on the walls, they simply paint over it. The hot water heater is turned off to save on costs. The building is kept cold and the restrooms even colder to prevent employees from being too comfortable because they believe that simple human comfort brings the risk of an employee not working. Be sure to never make a mistake because your manager will chew you out in front of coworkers, degrade you, and all but call you stupid. Do not try to explain if it was a simple error, you will not be heard. Somehow, small mistakes that are easily correctable are much worse than massive errors that will take days to fix. The company is the complete opposite of the Christian, family value oriented place they make themselves out to be. I could continue with all kinds of stories you would never believe, but that would take a good part of the next month. I'm sure this sounds like a disgruntled employee's rant, but I assure you it is fact. When someone asks me where I work, I am embarrassed and feel the need to apologize for working there. Most people have heard the stories and I often get sympathy.
Basically, it comes down to what you like. If you enjoy being miserable and treated badly, this is the place for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating employees like animals and more like human beings, and you will be surprised and how much more productive AND profitable the company will be.

Store Manager/ Travel Manager Great place to work, worked for SS for almost seven years,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Shoe Show

ProsGood pay, bonuses, Good District and Regional Managers. Overall good employees, and customers.

ConsConsider updating the POS system, downside to ALL retail jobs is the Holiday work but it comes with the job, you know what you are getting into before you accept the job.

It really is one of the best jobs out there.

I have been working at Shoe Show

ProsChristian based company that understands their people. Some of the best district and regional managers you'll find! The owner of the company is a very inspirational man.

ConsThe only downsides for this company are the ones associated with all retail in general. The long hours aren't for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the rules...they are clearly defined. If one follows the rules, and respects authority they should have zero problems.

Fine for part time, but full time is too much

Keyholder (Former Employee)

I worked at Shoe Show full-time for less than a year

ProsPros: I had fun on shipment days because it went really fast. The employee discount was 20% off non-brand name items and 10% off of brands. It was nice to get first dibs on merchandise when we unpacked it. I also had a friendly manager and staff.

ConsCons: The customers were often very rude. The management left me to run the store by myself at least twice a week. i had 12 hour shifts completely alone which is terrible in retail.There is no music playing in the stores and the POS system is terribly outdated.

Advice to Senior Managementupdate your POS system

Worked for Shoe Show? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shoe Show reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shoe Show CEO Robert Tucker. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Shoe Show employees.