Shoe Show

Updated December 30, 2014
Updated December 30, 2014
2.2

Robert Tucker

Pros
  • I had zero management experience and they hired me for a key holder position (in 4 reviews)

• You definitely build up your customer service skills while working here (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Even though I have been at my store longer than any other current employee at that location, I was dropped down to minimum wage (in 7 reviews)

• The company expects the store manager and key holders to approach suspected shoplifters while the person under suspicion is still in the store (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

For my very first job, my experience at Shoe Show was quite delightful. Show Show helped me a lot.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Forest Park, GA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Forest Park, GA

I have been working at Shoe Show part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Shoe Show is a very positive environment to work in. You definitely build up your customer service skills while working here.

Cons

Shoe Show's working schedule is not very flexible as i wish it would be. They aren't very lenient with your requested days off, either.

I think shoe show should in-force more goals onto the employees. I think this will improve customer service/sales significantly.

Expect to be worked like a slave and backstabbed

I have been working at Shoe Show

Pros

This company is a good example of an employer you don't want to work for. I have been in retail and warehouse management for nearly 2 decades and Shoe Show takes the cake when it comes to bad examples.

Cons

After 2.5 years with the company and having put up with a lot, I must finally give this harsh but honest review. I base the following on personal experiences as well as being witness to the treatment and abuse of many other managers and supervisors both in equal or higher positions than my own. Not to mention the many of employees I said in contact with from many store locations who continued to share with me the struggles of working for Shoe Show.
    -Pay scales at nearly all levels of employments are well below average.
    -The company's old and outdated software and policies make tasks far harder than they should ever be.
    -Upper management is often not on the same page with each other which causes difficulties in operating the stores.
    -There is NO efficient loss prevention and the customers know it. Theft is out of control is and desperately needs improvement but the needed support (IE: software, equipment, and old fashioned increased employee presence are not provided) Stealing from this company is so easy for customers is disgusting.
    -District and Regional supervisors will often instruct you to do things the way "they" want it done instead of the way policy says to do things. This would be fine if they in turn would take responsibility for things not being "correct" when corporate visitors stop by your store (as they often do country wide).
    -The company (as high up as certain members at the corporate level) will makes promises and will not deliver, so be sure to get anything they offer in writing.
    -Upper management will override and/or sabotage your efforts to maintain a well trained and loyal team in order to force the salary managers to work 60-80 hours a week; overworking salary employees instead of allowing sales associates to have enough hours to make their minimum wage job actually worth keeping.
    -As expected from the previous comment, there is a very high turn over sales associates which is primarily due to lack of worthwhile paychecks.
    -Personal pursuits such as higher education via college are harshly frowned upon.
    -Critical information such as payroll percentages and such are often withheld from the managers who need to know said information to operate efficiently.
    -Hours will be cut in one region of the country to accommodate another region having bad sales. This has on several occasions lead to operating a 20,000 sq ft store with only a manager and a sales associate. Not surprisingly, theft rates sky rocket in understaffed stores.
    I could go on but I'm sure by now its all just going to sound like I'm complaining.

Don't work here...

Former Employee - Key Holder in Dothan, AL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Dothan, AL

I worked at Shoe Show part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with coworkers, they were very helpful when it came to learning the ins and outs of the store. Manager was sometimes willing to work with scheduling.

Cons

Not a career job...
    No 401K
    If you made under 30 hours a week you weren't eligible for insurance.
    No break room
    No breaks/lunches...had to find time to eat between customers (difficult when you're the only one scheduled to work 12 hours a day)
    Working by yourself
    Wanting tons of shipment done while being stingy with hours
    Minimum wage pay.
    Corporate/Home Office doesn't care about employees..... The store I worked at was involved in an armed robbery and no one from home office even bothered to come by to check on the well being of the person who was actually robbed. They didn't call or anything and expected things to run as normal. They are more concerned with making money and think their employees are more likely to steal from them than actual customers.

Focus more on your employees instead of money, stores might run more smoothly if employees feel appreciated.

Shoe show is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Key Holder in Sylva, NC
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Sylva, NC

I have been working at Shoe Show part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of room for advancement. I was promoted to key holder in just 2 weeks. I love my manager and all those I work with. Warning: Shoe Show can turn anyone into a shoe person.

Cons

Corporate could make less mistakes in shipment. They could also learn to not expect significant growth within their stores if they have not been actively pursuing a growth strategy. It seems like they are expecting their stores to grow without actually making an effort to help them grow.

Double check things.

Sales Associate - Shoe Show

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orange, VA

I worked at Shoe Show part-time (more than a year)

Pros

That was my first job and I had no experience at all but district manager saw the potential in me and gave me the opportunity and I made him proud throughout the year i spent there. He was very friendly and down to earth and made me enjoy working there. By far the best supervisor i have ever had.

Cons

Starting pay is a little bit too low. (Minimum wage)

Increase starting pay.

Good Experience

I have been working at Shoe Show

Pros

A lot of reasons a lot of the reviews are so bad seem to be at the store level/district level. I'm a key holder and I make 12 an hour and then 2% commission which comes out to an extra $60 a week so the pay isn't so bad. They also don't mind if you get a little overtime as long as the store isn't dead. So overtime ends up being around $20 an hour after commission.

I'm in a new store so our systems aren't outdated we are running Windows 7. We also have a mini inventory computer along with a blue tooth printer. Walkie talkies with headsets As well. Sure we have dial up however it is a discount shoe store and little discounts like that add up.

Cons

No direct deposit which socks especially since there is 1200 stores.

Get direct deposit!!

awful!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT WORK HERE

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Shoe Show full-time (more than a year)

Pros

DM had your back most of the time.

Cons

They have no concern for your safety. Other businesses including the one next door to us were robbed Yet we still had to work alone. Worked in an awful area by myself most of the time. No lunch breaks or bathroom breaks due to working alone. Homeless people hung out in front of the store all the time. EXCESSIVE INVENTORIES 6 IN TWO YEARS! some of which were done on an adding machine!

Low Pay

I have been working at Shoe Show

Pros

Easy Work, Great Manager. Good Eniroment

Cons

Low Pay, Hard to make commission

Worst Company Ever

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Shoe Show full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this company!

Cons

Computer system is horribly outdated. Inventory could be handled so much better, but corporate doesn't want to hear from the stores. If any maintenace is needed on the stores, corporate wants the staff to fix it ,or get family or friend to fix it, so they can be cheapskates, and get people to do it for free. The staff is supposed to control shoplifting, but corporate does nothing to help the staff, usually leaving 1 person in the store at a time. No direct deposit for the employees, which causes employees to pay fees at banks because there is no direct deposit option. Oh, and yes, a pay raise??????? Not as long as you work at Shoe Show, you will be making the same rate unless you get promoted??? Yeah right! There is no way of applying for other positions, because there is no way to access a list. Their motto should be "keep making me money and we will keep doing nothing for you"! Employees have no feeling that corporate cares, because they know they don't!

Train your store managers at corporate, so they can actually get trained, you would save money with your store managers actually knowing how to do their job correctly.
    Direct Deposit, it is 2014!
    Dial Up, Really? Do you know how may customers walk out because the store is busy, and they don't want to wait because of dial up.
    Let employees know they are valued, would a 10 cent raise a year break the bank? I think not!

Worked as a manager

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Shoe Show full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a good learning opportunity and I could set my own schedule as long as I worked 45 hours per week. I was able to earn bonuses regularly.

Cons

The district manager was too harsh and negative. The pay was very low for the job and responsibilities. There were no raises and no real opportunity to advance or earn more I increased sales and was not recognized for this. The DM was always cutting back on the hours I could work my employees leaving the store understaffed unless I worked above and beyond the 45 hours. She also called me when I was on medical leave and pressured me to return early against medical advice.

Give positive feedback when warranted.