Shoebuy.com Reviews

Updated July 9, 2014
Updated July 9, 2014

2.6

Mike Sorabella

Great opportunity to contribute to a growing business.

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Shoebuy.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

As I approach my one year anniversary at Shoebuy, I was surprised to see the current rating on Glassdoor was not on the more satisfied side, and wanted to add my voice. The company is growing well (lots of new, bright talent has been hired in the past 14 months across several departments), and is currently focused on bringing an improved customer experience to life. The company is also part of IAC, which means it has a very strong parent company, which was something that gave me even more confidence in Shobeuy when I made my career move here initially.

For me, having colleagues to work with who are strong in their fields and dedicated to do good work is very important and I have found this to be the case here. In the division of the company I am in, there is no lack of opportunity and bringing new ideas for the company - or improvements to processes in place - has been very well received, which is very refreshing. On several occasions, when I have had experience that fell outside my job description but I wanted to contribute, my manager has welcomed this and supported my growth in these areas as well. And of course, working in such a fun, tangible field like footwear and retail is certainly a plus, though also a bit dangerous for the personal budget. ;)

Cons

As with any challenging job, there will always be more to do than hours in the week, so you need to be able to work well with others, prioritize and be prepared for the busy seasons (in retail, there are many!). The company is in a very competitive space, which can be stressful (as some other employees have noted here). None of this is unique to Shoebuy - just to good jobs where employees need to want to work hard, work as a team for the greater good, and be rewarded for that hard work.

There are so many great things going on with the company but it seems like not all employees are aware of all of the great strides the company is making or planning, so working to better communicate all of these updates would likely be well-received.

Intern

Current Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Shoebuy.com part-time for less than a year

Pros

Recommitment to office culture, opportunity to take on more responsibility, hoodie Fridays, great location, friendly upper management, young and growing company, departmental recognition

Cons

Office culture could be better, Not an overly collaborative environment, high management to employee ratio

CSR, its a nice part time, but not sure about full time

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Shoebuy.com full-time

Pros

its a good part time job, the people are cool and the environment is laid back

Cons

they time everything, the pay isn't that great and trying to get a raise is hard, its hard to take beaks, they clock you like a hawk and god forbid you're over by a few minutes. 1/2 break is not enough time since you have to put yourself on break, then grab coat, try to find food, pay for it & run back, you dont even have time to eat.

make breaks longer and maybe some pay upgrade or compensation for job well done

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible engineering environment - moved on quickly

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Shoebuy.com full-time

Pros

* Friendly office environment
    * Company is very profitable
    * Conveniently located in the middle of downtown crossing, literally on top of a red line stop
    * Engineering practices are improving

Cons

* "It's the Shoebuy way" often quoted in the office. Its translation is: "It doesn't matter how you do it, just do it quickly".
    * Rare but not unlikely that you will be asked to work some weekends and holidays because of deadlines; 6 AM all-hands-on-deck code releases which commonly fail.
    * Saw someone resign after a single day in IT.
    * Developer testing sometimes discouraged. "There's not enough time for testing". I have emails from senior staff that say, "Please don't write tests". Literally.
    * Fear tactics; "None of us will be here in a few months unless <X> is done by <some impossible date>".
    * Dysfunctional engineering practices. Examples: QA and Dev environments go down and stay down for months+. Upper management sometimes passing time estimates down to developers; "Task X: Y hours/days". No peer review / code reviews. No build system == constantly 'breaking' development environments.

Fix the technical leadership vacuum in Dev

Intern

Former Employee - Merchandising  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Merchandising in Boston, MA

I worked at Shoebuy.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

nice place. average workload. friendly environment

Cons

Cannot think of one right now

Not a healthy environment to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Shoebuy.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Consistent 9-5 days, good downtown crossing location.
    Very few computer or networking issues.
    I had a desk and a chair.
    I could get free coffee or tea.

Cons

Poor and disrespectful management team.
    No communications between groups.
    Senior management didn't get along.
    No flexibility with schedule. You were welcome to come in early and stay late, but you were expected between 9-5 to be at your desk.
    Going out to lunch was frowned upon.
    Team members don't play nice in the sandbox.
    There is no engineering process.
    Unreasonable goals and expectations.
    Report to HR when you need to leave early for a doctors appointment.
    Treated like a 5 year old.
    Standard 2 weeks vacation (unless you have a deal with your manager)

Figure out who is doing the work and be good to them. Give them credit. Give them money. Give them more than 2 standard weeks vacation. Show them appreciation. Treat them like grownups.
    Bring in trainers to show teams how to work together.

Unprofessional, low pay

Current Employee - Data Entry  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Data Entry in Boston, MA

I have been working at Shoebuy.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The dental insurance is very good. It's the only thing I will miss when I make it out of here. There is a new kitchen and bathrooms are clean. The area has good food. Good for interns living close by.

Cons

Very low wages for surrounding area. No potential for raises even with promotions, which are rare. The training for new employees is subpar if not nonexistent, which is made worse by the cycling of interns every couple months. Interns stay for a couple months and I was told it takes about six months to learn the job. With little to no training and short term employees this company never sees progress in the data department. The newer employees are trained to check the files of the more experience employees.
    On several occasions I have seen employees brought to tears at their desk by the management and the severe lack of professionalism they show to employees. Most people are afraid to go to their superiors for help so we have to rely on each other.
    I would not recommend this place to anyone other than students looking for credits.

Be nice to your employees. Show professionalism. Keep the ice cream/pizza money and give some raises to those that deserve it.

The Worst job i have ever had.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Shoebuy.com

Pros

Flexible schedules,some nice employees. Good Health and dental package.

Cons

People who work there act like teenagers. Drama between mgmt,co-workers, unprofessional. Upper Mgmt does not communicate with employees everyhing is last minute. Working hard does not pay off. The dining area is always disgusting,not enough supplies to do your job. Customers are not really helped and noone follows with them so next CSR who picked up phone gets it bad. People gossip all day/night. RUDE CSR who are "ghetto"!

Get new mgmt. change everything

Little To No Recognition Within This Company, No Room For Growth, Poor Management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Quincy, MA

I worked at Shoebuy.com

Pros

- Capabilities of taking time off when needed/Flexible
    - No micro-management
    - Ability to browse during downtime (hardly any)

Cons

- No recognition
    - No room for advancement.
    - Management is careless.
    - Management threatens employees.
    - Salary isn't worth the effort
    - There is no sink!
    - Cisco call system is a constant failure
    - Databases are outdated and useless for searching or locating customers orders.
    - Constant warehouse errors, mis-ships and product issues.
    - Website is not user-friendly at all.
    - Return policies are terrible, customers that exceed a maximum return rate must be limited to orders or completely cut off from Shoebuy in general.
    - Employees receive no appreciation for extra or additional tasks that are asked of them.
    - Constant lack of staffing, requiring representatives from other departments to handle regular customer service inquiries not pertaining to the departments sole purpose.
    - If you drive a car, you would have to pay 9 dollars a day to park in the garage, because Shoebuy doesn't own any available lots.
    - The company is in a basement. Very smelly and musty!

You should definitely show more appreciation to the employees, or the (backbone) of Shoebuy. Annual reviews should be conducted punctually. An employee working in the Customer Service department has a base salary of $12.00, where other employees with much more tasks at hand get a pay raise of $.50? Completely preposterous! In order for a company like Shoebuy to be successful, you employees must be happy and customer databases or phone systems should never go down. This company is clearly about numbers, although because you are so infatuated with the numbers, other departments continue to fail, leaving the customer unsatisfied with your service. Listen to the customer and the employees, that’s what will make this company soar. Many employees continue to call out or quit because of how the company has been run (more or less, upper management within the call center).

This position is the backbone for Shoebuy, without us Reps, Shoebuy wouldnt be much.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Shoebuy.com

Pros

Very relaxed place
    Great Employee Discount
    Dress Code is relaxed
    Management is very understanding
    We get alot of time and a half because of holidays.

Cons

Raises are rare
    No sick day pay, basically if you are sick you will not get paid
    Pay is decent for entry but compared to other similar jobs in the area it sucks

I would suggest to managment is to give employees better benefits, better pay or at least some pay raises. Also a sink would be nice in the kitchen lol.

Worked for Shoebuy.com? Contribute to the Community!