Shoebuy.com Reviews

Mike Sorabella

1. not bad

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Quincy, MA

I worked at Shoebuy.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no dress code. Co workers are fun and easy to get a along with. Once you get to know the job becomes very easy

Cons

Usually required to do several departments because of short staff.Due to stress went through 3 managers in just 2 years. Usually the stress trickles down to entry level .

Advice to Management

Try to make sure management is give ample help

Headache after headache

Former Employee - Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Shoebuy.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a company of good people, and the office is in a great location, 16th floor in Downtown crossing.

Cons

I was a developer, and the technology base is old and poorly built by people who didn't acknowledge the concept of quality and maintainability. Shortcuts are taken at every step and 75% of my time was spent patching in short term solutions on top of the old short term solutions. Planning and scheduling are a foreign concept and deadlines are picked arbitrarily or based on wishful thinking with no regards for the actual work involved. In almost 5 years I saw no training for myself or anyone else in my department, The people on the technology team are sharp and dedicated, but they are chronically understaffed, and marketing usually ends up making the technical decisions with disastrous results and a yearly deathmarch. Bottom line - if you can code, you can do better.

Advice to Management

When people consistently make bad decisions, take away their decision making responsibilities. Hire leaders instead of caretakers, and at least some people with experience instead of people who are ambitious and learning on the job. Everytime I heard "We learned a lot" or about "learning from (very basic) mistakes" from a senior manager, I heard "I am not qualified to do my job". Which I heard a lot. Sometimes it seems like no one in management had ever worked at a real company.

3. Low stress, low pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Shoebuy.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits including health, vision, dental, 40k, discount
    -free coffe
    -low stress
    -don't have to deal with customers
    -excellent location near public transportation
    -nice view

Cons

-no chance for raises or moving up
    -underpaid

Advice to Management

Perhaps recruit on campuses to attract youthful, intelligent workers fresh out of college. Increase pay to match talent and integrate a raise schedule to encourage employees to stick around.

Great opportunity to contribute to a growing business.

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Shoebuy.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As I approach my one year anniversary at Shoebuy, I was surprised to see the current rating on Glassdoor was not on the more satisfied side, and wanted to add my voice. The company is growing well (lots of new, bright talent has been hired in the past 14 months across several departments), and is currently focused on bringing an improved customer experience to life. The company is also part of IAC, which means it has a very strong parent company, which was something that gave me even more confidence in Shobeuy when I made my career move here initially.

For me, having colleagues to work with who are strong in their fields and dedicated to do good work is very important and I have found this to be the case here. In the division of the company I am in, there is no lack of opportunity and bringing new ideas for the company - or improvements to processes in place - has been very well received, which is very refreshing. On several occasions, when I have had experience that fell outside my job description but I wanted to contribute, my manager has welcomed this and supported my growth in these areas as well. And of course, working in such a fun, tangible field like footwear and retail is certainly a plus, though also a bit dangerous for the personal budget. ;)

Cons

As with any challenging job, there will always be more to do than hours in the week, so you need to be able to work well with others, prioritize and be prepared for the busy seasons (in retail, there are many!). The company is in a very competitive space, which can be stressful (as some other employees have noted here). None of this is unique to Shoebuy - just to good jobs where employees need to want to work hard, work as a team for the greater good, and be rewarded for that hard work.

Advice to Management

There are so many great things going on with the company but it seems like not all employees are aware of all of the great strides the company is making or planning, so working to better communicate all of these updates would likely be well-received.

6. Intern

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Shoebuy.com part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recommitment to office culture, opportunity to take on more responsibility, hoodie Fridays, great location, friendly upper management, young and growing company, departmental recognition

Cons

Office culture could be better, Not an overly collaborative environment, high management to employee ratio

7. CSR, its a nice part time, but not sure about full time

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Shoebuy.com full-time

Pros

its a good part time job, the people are cool and the environment is laid back

Cons

they time everything, the pay isn't that great and trying to get a raise is hard, its hard to take beaks, they clock you like a hawk and god forbid you're over by a few minutes. 1/2 break is not enough time since you have to put yourself on break, then grab coat, try to find food, pay for it & run back, you dont even have time to eat.

Advice to Management

make breaks longer and maybe some pay upgrade or compensation for job well done

8. Intern

Former Intern - Merchandising in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Merchandising in Boston, MA

I worked at Shoebuy.com as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

nice place. average workload. friendly environment

Cons

Cannot think of one right now

Not a healthy environment to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Shoebuy.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consistent 9-5 days, good downtown crossing location.
    Very few computer or networking issues.
    I had a desk and a chair.
    I could get free coffee or tea.

Cons

Poor and disrespectful management team.
    No communications between groups.
    Senior management didn't get along.
    No flexibility with schedule. You were welcome to come in early and stay late, but you were expected between 9-5 to be at your desk.
    Going out to lunch was frowned upon.
    Team members don't play nice in the sandbox.
    There is no engineering process.
    Unreasonable goals and expectations.
    Report to HR when you need to leave early for a doctors appointment.
    Treated like a 5 year old.
    Standard 2 weeks vacation (unless you have a deal with your manager)

Advice to Management

Figure out who is doing the work and be good to them. Give them credit. Give them money. Give them more than 2 standard weeks vacation. Show them appreciation. Treat them like grownups.
    Bring in trainers to show teams how to work together.

10. Unprofessional, low pay

Current Employee - Data Entry in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Data Entry in Boston, MA

I have been working at Shoebuy.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The dental insurance is very good. It's the only thing I will miss when I make it out of here. There is a new kitchen and bathrooms are clean. The area has good food. Good for interns living close by.

Cons

Very low wages for surrounding area. No potential for raises even with promotions, which are rare. The training for new employees is subpar if not nonexistent, which is made worse by the cycling of interns every couple months. Interns stay for a couple months and I was told it takes about six months to learn the job. With little to no training and short term employees this company never sees progress in the data department. The newer employees are trained to check the files of the more experience employees.
    On several occasions I have seen employees brought to tears at their desk by the management and the severe lack of professionalism they show to employees. Most people are afraid to go to their superiors for help so we have to rely on each other.
    I would not recommend this place to anyone other than students looking for credits.

Advice to Management

Be nice to your employees. Show professionalism. Keep the ice cream/pizza money and give some raises to those that deserve it.

11. The Worst job i have ever had.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Shoebuy.com

Pros

Flexible schedules,some nice employees. Good Health and dental package.

Cons

People who work there act like teenagers. Drama between mgmt,co-workers, unprofessional. Upper Mgmt does not communicate with employees everyhing is last minute. Working hard does not pay off. The dining area is always disgusting,not enough supplies to do your job. Customers are not really helped and noone follows with them so next CSR who picked up phone gets it bad. People gossip all day/night. RUDE CSR who are "ghetto"!

Advice to Management

Get new mgmt. change everything

RSS Feed </> Embed