Shook Hardy & Bacon

2.8

John F. Murphy

Good environment

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon

Pros

Friendly company culture. Everyone has a friendly and professional demeanor.

Cons

The social networking was occasionally overwhelming.

Got out as soon as I could

Former Employee - Temporary Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Temporary Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

pay was not bad for a temp job

Cons

Worked as a temporary document reviewer. no benefits of any kind, no vacation or paid holidays. Crammed into tiny cubicles, email and internet usage was constantly monitored, the full-time workers mostly thought they were too good to fraternize with the temps even though we all had the same legal education and a lot of us went on to better jobs.

The temps that work for you are just as worthy as you are and are maybe in between jobs or fallen on hard times for a bit. Have some respect - they might be your boss someday.

Five plus years experience here

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Shook Hardy & Bacon (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, pension plan, flexible schedule, regular firm luncheons

Cons

Micro managers throughout the firm. No opportunities for advancement for most people

Listen to the experts you've hired. Treat staff with more respect. Stop micro managing.

Don't be led to believe...

Former Employee - Nurse Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Nurse Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Experience, can't think of anything else.

Cons

I left a 7 year long employment status to take what I thought was going to be my "dream job" as a nurse analyst at SHB. Yes it was a "temporary" or "contract" position however, I (as well as four other nurses) were led to believe it would be a "years long" if not, "months long" assignment due to the "biggest mass tort" in world history aside from tobacco. Two weeks into the assignment after being trained to do the job a certain way, the lead attorney decided to change the way they were doing things (shortcut) therefore not justifying the need for our services. However, they stretched out the work for us to last 29 days, 2 days short of qualifying for unemployment but also allowing SHB the privilege to get a refund of their placement fee from the staffing agency. This has left a single mother of two without a way to pay her bills. During my time there, I was made to feel like an outsider because of my "temp" status. At the risk of identifying myself, I won't go into details but, in not so many words, the manager "counseled" me on identifying my status and place of employment outside the realms of the company. I not only took a $3/hr pay cut but I also shelled out $200 for parking for less than a month's worth of work. You have to pay for your own parking when you work there and you are forced to pay it ahead of time. I payed ahead for my second month and got let go two days later and wasn't allowed a refund. I can't believe with the amount of money that place brings in and with the amount of projects they have going on, that they couldn't find something else for us to do in order to not leave four nurses destitute and without a way to pay their bills. I really can't believe the way they handled it either. To go about it in such sneaky ways as to not allow us to at least be able to qualify for unemployment was even more slimy. I won't allow this to ruin my view of all attorney firms, however I will never throw caution to the wind again.

Have better forethought and planning when you hire temporary employees and treat them with the same respect you treat your regular employees.

Nightmare. Too many levels of management who are all dis-associated from the attorneys.

Current Employee - Paralegal in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Shook Hardy & Bacon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation and time off are very good. After several years of work, you get one month off vacation and sick leave.

Cons

Too many micro-managers. Will drive you out. Firm advertises itself as a value law firm. That in turn provides low pay for the "professional staff'. Benefits are horrendous. Firm barely pays for health insurance. Employees must pay for parking. "Benefits" usually are coupons and discounts that are available to the general public. But they tote them to the employees are "benefits".

Improve benefits and pay. You want professional staff? Must pay professional salaries. Quit marketing yourself as a value law firm. It obviously isn't working since they are losing clients.

I have been very proud to be a member of such a wonderful employer.

Current Employee - Manager of Conflicts & New Business Department in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Shook Hardy & Bacon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This firm is run like we counsel our clients to run their businesses.

Cons

There are no cons working for this company.

I have no advice for management

Legal Admin Asst I: Enticing salary, perks & status<Values/Morals

Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant I in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant I in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary, perks, location, status among firms, culturally very diverse, extremely high standards regarding employees

Cons

Agism to new young employees, compromised my personal morals and values, continuous rat race among all levels of employees firm-wide, support staff too small compared to amount of timekeepers they are supporting, very sophomoric office morale, extremely pretentious firm.

Departmental offices as well as firm needs desperate work on office morale. Firms should be a team, not each individual for himself/herself. Timekeepers need reminding (and often) that their work staff are real people (some of which do not have the thick SHB skin they might have been hired for).

Contract Attorney

Former Employee - Attorney, 5th-Year in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Attorney, 5th-Year in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offered a great opportunity in the beginning. They treated contract attorneys respectfully. It was clear that we were not permanent employees but we not required to bill time. That was less stressful.

Cons

As time went on, temps became second class citizens. The firm saw temps as an income source not as people. Experience was out weighed by lower paid newcomers. The word "temp" became a derogatory term among permanent employees.

Train managers to manage before promoting them. Temps deserve respect like any employee. It is possible to maintain a division between temporary employees without cutting into their morale.

Depends on the Department

Former Employee - Section Assistant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Section Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, fast paced environment, located centrally in KCMO and has a very diverse group that you will work with.

Cons

All depends on the department... If you are in certain departments, you will enjoy your job and there are other departments where the turnover is high and everyone is trying to get out or are very sad and angry people

Lawyers need to remember that every staff member in that law firm helps you to be a good lawyer. Without the staff, you would not be able to fight your cases. Also, if you have a high turnover in your department, listen to why people are leaving and take some action.

Good firm experience

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great associates
    Interesting work
    Opportunities for advancement for those with right work ethic and access to the right people

Cons

Some of the partners are so single-focused as to be difficult to work with, though for the most part, they are looking out for your better interests
    Long hours and high billable demands
    Poor integration of city offices
    Largey unhelpful support staff