Shook Hardy & Bacon

Shook Hardy & Bacon Reviews

Updated August 30, 2014
Updated August 30, 2014

John F. Murphy

I have been very proud to be a member of such a wonderful employer.

Current Employee - Manager of Conflicts & New Business Department  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Manager of Conflicts & New Business Department in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Shook Hardy & Bacon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This firm is run like we counsel our clients to run their businesses.

Cons

There are no cons working for this company.

I have no advice for management

Nightmare. Too many levels of management who are all dis-associated from the attorneys.

Current Employee - Paralegal  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Shook Hardy & Bacon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Vacation and time off are very good. After several years of work, you get one month off vacation and sick leave.

Cons

Too many micro-managers. Will drive you out. Firm advertises itself as a value law firm. That in turn provides low pay for the "professional staff'. Benefits are horrendous. Firm barely pays for health insurance. Employees must pay for parking. "Benefits" usually are coupons and discounts that are available to the general public. But they tote them to the employees are "benefits".

Improve benefits and pay. You want professional staff? Must pay professional salaries. Quit marketing yourself as a value law firm. It obviously isn't working since they are losing clients.

Legal Admin Asst I: Enticing salary, perks & status<Values/Morals

Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant I  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant I in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary, perks, location, status among firms, culturally very diverse, extremely high standards regarding employees

Cons

Agism to new young employees, compromised my personal morals and values, continuous rat race among all levels of employees firm-wide, support staff too small compared to amount of timekeepers they are supporting, very sophomoric office morale, extremely pretentious firm.

Departmental offices as well as firm needs desperate work on office morale. Firms should be a team, not each individual for himself/herself. Timekeepers need reminding (and often) that their work staff are real people (some of which do not have the thick SHB skin they might have been hired for).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Contract Attorney

Former Employee - Attorney, 5th-Year  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Attorney, 5th-Year in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

They offered a great opportunity in the beginning. They treated contract attorneys respectfully. It was clear that we were not permanent employees but we not required to bill time. That was less stressful.

Cons

As time went on, temps became second class citizens. The firm saw temps as an income source not as people. Experience was out weighed by lower paid newcomers. The word "temp" became a derogatory term among permanent employees.

Train managers to manage before promoting them. Temps deserve respect like any employee. It is possible to maintain a division between temporary employees without cutting into their morale.

Depends on the Department

Former Employee - Section Assistant  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Section Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, fast paced environment, located centrally in KCMO and has a very diverse group that you will work with.

Cons

All depends on the department... If you are in certain departments, you will enjoy your job and there are other departments where the turnover is high and everyone is trying to get out or are very sad and angry people

Lawyers need to remember that every staff member in that law firm helps you to be a good lawyer. Without the staff, you would not be able to fight your cases. Also, if you have a high turnover in your department, listen to why people are leaving and take some action.

Good firm experience

Former Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great associates
    Interesting work
    Opportunities for advancement for those with right work ethic and access to the right people

Cons

Some of the partners are so single-focused as to be difficult to work with, though for the most part, they are looking out for your better interests
    Long hours and high billable demands
    Poor integration of city offices
    Largey unhelpful support staff

challenging very difficult personalities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon

Pros

fair benefit package salaries are at market

Cons

difficult personalities to work with

Love it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Shook Hardy & Bacon

Pros

Flexibility, work life balance, great co-workers

Cons

No potential for growth or advancement

Create job classes or groups to provide opportunities for advancement within a career family.

Employees treated disrespectfully and no chance to discuss problems.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon

Pros

The downtown office is in a good location. There was an opportunity to learn new fields of law and develop skills.

Cons

Felt the senior management and attorneys treated everyone else disrespectfully. Very political (like most corporations, of course). Never felt like a law firm - just feels like a corporation inside.

Senior partners and managers need to treat others like they are contributors. Cases are won in the office and supporting personnel are valuable assets.

Professional Environment and Good Pay but HR difficult with trust issues present and little opportunity for advancment

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon

Pros

Shook, Hardy, Bacon staff very well qualified and highly competent, professional management, and excellent work environment with some flexibility in schedule for personal/family needs.

Cons

Human Resources can be ruthless and disrespectful, condescending to employees and opportunities for advancment may be limited. Parking expensive and limited.

More oversight and accountability by human resources which shows lack of respect toward employees and also employees mistrusftul of human resources.

Worked for Shook Hardy & Bacon? Contribute to the Community!