Shook Hardy & Bacon Reviews

John F. Murphy

1. Mindlessly boring but they treat you OK

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Kansas City, MO
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Shook Hardy & Bacon as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work, top notch clients, supervisors are nice (mostly), great location. I was hired for 6 to 8 week doc review project, still there well over two years later. They keep the best of each project hiring cycle (out of 28 temps, two were retained from my original project), weed out the losers.

Cons

Mind-numbingly boring work in large part. Much could be done by lightly trained monkeys, but they want or need to cloak everything behind privilege.

Nightmare workplace

Former Employee - Document Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Document Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon

Pros

Working for a company that has a good reputation.

Cons

There is nothing good about working for this company. They attorneys and the ppl in mangement have the GOD complex. They take pride in their titles and believes it puts them above human status. They treat employees so bad, ive literally seen people cry. Ive heard some in upper mangement chatise employees and reiterate the fact they they run the show. They try to make you feel like there is an open door policy and you should feel comfortable with sharing your concerns but if you do all tables flip on you. I haven seen people resign and be threatened not to tell anyone why they are leaving. The pay is horrible, the benfits suck and the arrogance of the firm is through the roof. If you want to be happy in your work environment, this is not a place you want to be.

Advice to Management

Know you are still human and everyone deserves respect. You are nothing w/out your employees.

Okay if you're not looking for advancement or job growth

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon

Pros

Nice coworkers, occasional free food

Cons

Staff are treated as lower citizens than attorneys, raises are only once a year and only 3%, bonuses are a joke.

All that glitters is not gold - beware.

Current Employee - Attorney, 6th-Year in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Attorney, 6th-Year in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Shook Hardy & Bacon

Pros

Salary without raises. If you are lucky they will allow you to get experience, but you may sit in your office with nothing to do and then they will blame you.

Cons

Serious financial problems. Micromanaged by administration that has destroyed those who bill's ability to work by instilling orders that make no sense to justify their positions. The partners have lost control of the firm. Given financial problems, have pushed those out with many years of experience out the door with manipulative tactics to decrease insurance costs to replace with multiple young inexperience people with no one to direct to increase billing hours. Management very short sighted.

Advice to Management

It's too late. There is no management other than attacking people without cause.

6. Worst job ever

Former Employee - Attorney, 1st-Year
    Former Employee - Attorney, 1st-Year

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon

Pros

The only benefit was more experience to put on my résumé.

Cons

You get no benefits if you aren't higher up staff. It costs $1,200 a year just to park at the firm. The pay is low in relation to experience & industry standards. Higher up attorneys will have staff do their work & then take credit for it with no dues to the actual author. There are not opportunities to advance & no future at this firm. The will hire cheap & use you until you quit. If you are staff or a temp you are treated as a second class citizen with no respect or recognition. The culture is very class-based & you must know someone to get ahead. The bad reputation at this firm is well earned.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. Recognize employees' work & give credit where it's due. Advance the employees that put in the time & work. Stop the favoritism.

7. Good environment

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon

Pros

Friendly company culture. Everyone has a friendly and professional demeanor.

Cons

The social networking was occasionally overwhelming.

Got out as soon as I could

Former Contractor - Temporary Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Contractor - Temporary Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

pay was not bad for a temp job

Cons

Worked as a temporary document reviewer. no benefits of any kind, no vacation or paid holidays. Crammed into tiny cubicles, email and internet usage was constantly monitored, the full-time workers mostly thought they were too good to fraternize with the temps even though we all had the same legal education and a lot of us went on to better jobs.

Advice to Management

The temps that work for you are just as worthy as you are and are maybe in between jobs or fallen on hard times for a bit. Have some respect - they might be your boss someday.

9. Five plus years experience here

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Shook Hardy & Bacon (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, pension plan, flexible schedule, regular firm luncheons

Cons

Micro managers throughout the firm. No opportunities for advancement for most people

Advice to Management

Listen to the experts you've hired. Treat staff with more respect. Stop micro managing.

Don't be led to believe...

Former Contractor - Nurse Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Contractor - Nurse Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Shook Hardy & Bacon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience, can't think of anything else.

Cons

I left a 7 year long employment status to take what I thought was going to be my "dream job" as a nurse analyst at SHB. Yes it was a "temporary" or "contract" position however, I (as well as four other nurses) were led to believe it would be a "years long" if not, "months long" assignment due to the "biggest mass tort" in world history aside from tobacco. Two weeks into the assignment after being trained to do the job a certain way, the lead attorney decided to change the way they were doing things (shortcut) therefore not justifying the need for our services. However, they stretched out the work for us to last 29 days, 2 days short of qualifying for unemployment but also allowing SHB the privilege to get a refund of their placement fee from the staffing agency. This has left a single mother of two without a way to pay her bills. During my time there, I was made to feel like an outsider because of my "temp" status. At the risk of identifying myself, I won't go into details but, in not so many words, the manager "counseled" me on identifying my status and place of employment outside the realms of the company. I not only took a $3/hr pay cut but I also shelled out $200 for parking for less than a month's worth of work. You have to pay for your own parking when you work there and you are forced to pay it ahead of time. I payed ahead for my second month and got let go two days later and wasn't allowed a refund. I can't believe with the amount of money that place brings in and with the amount of projects they have going on, that they couldn't find something else for us to do in order to not leave four nurses destitute and without a way to pay their bills. I really can't believe the way they handled it either. To go about it in such sneaky ways as to not allow us to at least be able to qualify for unemployment was even more slimy. I won't allow this to ruin my view of all attorney firms, however I will never throw caution to the wind again.

Advice to Management

Have better forethought and planning when you hire temporary employees and treat them with the same respect you treat your regular employees.

11. Nightmare. Too many levels of management who are all dis-associated from the attorneys.

Current Employee - Paralegal in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Shook Hardy & Bacon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation and time off are very good. After several years of work, you get one month off vacation and sick leave.

Cons

Too many micro-managers. Will drive you out. Firm advertises itself as a value law firm. That in turn provides low pay for the "professional staff'. Benefits are horrendous. Firm barely pays for health insurance. Employees must pay for parking. "Benefits" usually are coupons and discounts that are available to the general public. But they tote them to the employees are "benefits".

Advice to Management

Improve benefits and pay. You want professional staff? Must pay professional salaries. Quit marketing yourself as a value law firm. It obviously isn't working since they are losing clients.