ShopKo Stores Reviews

Reset
2.6
ShopKo Stores CEO Mike Bettiga
Mike Bettiga

Pros
  • I really enjoyed the people I worked with (in 6 reviews)

• Gave me the best customer service training possible which was useful in later (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay makes it difficult to make ends meet (in 10 reviews)

• Store management (at least at my location) changed frequently and most often they were awful managers (in 9 reviews)

1. Sales associate

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time

Pros

Flexible hours are great, you can request time off and they'll give it to you.

Cons

Pay is very low, cannot survive even if you work full time.

Advice to Management

Pay more, your sales associate are the blood of your company

2. can't move up unless you move out of state

Current Employee - Apparel
    Current Employee - Apparel

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time

Pros

All of my managers are good humored and they really want to see their employees succeed no matter their career path. they all remember my name, and what my college major is and when hours get cut they are as offended as we are. they are great at incorporating new ideas, lending a hand on the floor. and listening to complaints or finding solutions.

Cons

my problem is with Shopko Corprate, who took away a majority of the already scarce fulltime positions, cut hours, hired MORE people, can't communicate well with the stores, yet still want the same amount of work done as when we had twice the amount of hours. I go from getting 38 hours a week to 19...and our pay raise was supposed to be at least a dollar more but they cut it to only 18 cents more. this is the fifth place and third retail center I have worked at and leadership-wise it is great and I love my teammates however business-wise it is a little better that working at walmart

Advice to Management

sometimes I will get orders from all 4 managers and they all want it done on top of my normal duties or they will give me conflicting orders. such as when one manager says to follow the planogram while the other says he doesn't like the planogram. also, you skipped over our teammate BBQ this year.

3. Great Company, attitude varies store-to-store

Current Employee - Assistant Manager Hometown in Norton, KS
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager Hometown in Norton, KS

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible scheduling, great customer service experience, good training and good values.

Cons

Below average pay for the amount of workload

Advice to Management

Help out the stores more with workload / store hour balance. Too much expected at times with cuts in payroll.

5. CSM/Apparel Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lincoln, NE

I worked at ShopKo Stores (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for hourly teammates to be promoted

Cons

Lots of hours worked for salaried management

Advice to Management

......

Corporate Office

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Green Bay, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting pay is competitive, especially at an entry-level to semi-experienced level. A nice cafeteria is provided for employees. Benefits were above average.

Cons

Company claims that you are not "just another number"...this is not the case. Large layoffs are very common here and employees are very blindsided when they occur. Senior management is lacking empathy. Turnover is very high because employees tend to fear their job security.

7. cashier

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores

Pros

interact with alot of people (customers)

Cons

some of those customers can be rude

Advice to Management

treat your employees like people not a number

8. Supervisor

Current Employee - General Merchandise Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - General Merchandise Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is fantastic and they are all about helping employees grow into management positions.

Cons

The pay isn't nearly as good as other places.

9. Apparel Supervisor

Current Employee - Apparel Supervisor in West Bend, WI
    Current Employee - Apparel Supervisor in West Bend, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Good management experience. The people I work with are all very nice and easy to get along with. Paid vacation and holidays. Lots of room to advance and grow if willing to relocate.

Cons

Store is kind of old and out-dated. A lot of work and not a lot of budgeted hours and people to make sure that things are organized properly.

Advice to Management

Make the part-time recovery employees more responsible for the presentation and organization aspect of the store.

10. Retail Customer service

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time

Pros

Discount, Experience, easy to transfer for students, allows college students to come back on vacations

Cons

On feet all day, poor training, little chance to relate with bosses or customers

11. Received in product, checked in trucks, processed and sent vendor returns, defectives, and store transfers.

Former Employee - Store Receiving Specialist
    Former Employee - Store Receiving Specialist

I worked at ShopKo Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Corporate is willing to take advise on how to improve operation from an employee perspective as well as improve the store for customers. Our district had great managment and our store was like a family. Work was inconsistent on difficulty depending on customer traffic and that lead to each day being fresh. I never had a day that I was bored.

Cons

Pricing is high for some regional areas which led to mean customers who got sticker shocked. They are suppose to be working on that though. They have gone through three CEO's in the last three years and each one wants to run the company in a new direction. Leading to massive store layout changes each year. Their corporate team will throw management under the bus and void company policy to please a customer, even if the customer has no intention of returning. This led to several stores in our district not having managers. Ultimately this is an older company trying to find itself in a newer market and this has led to over 40 corporate layoffs as well as over 13 store closings within a six month time frame. They are opening new stores in the western region of the country but if they don't fix the corporate team this company will drastically downsize to a few stores. If you do get a job here though, expect to be at work come hell or high water. We couldn't close the store in a blizzard until a state of emergency was issued.

Advice to Management

Stick with a single CEO and stop expanding too fast. Its costing jobs and major monetary loss from rushed decisions.

RSS Feed </> Embed