ShopKo Stores

Updated November 14, 2014
2.6

ShopKo Stores CEO Mike Bettiga
Mike Bettiga

Pros
  • I really enjoyed the people I worked with (in 6 reviews)

• Gave me the best customer service training possible which was useful in later (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Store management (at least at my location) changed frequently and most often they were awful managers (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay makes it difficult to make ends meet (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Shopko Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People oriented company with very good training program for new hires.

Cons

communicating to employees is lax. Systems for inventory mgmt and financial planning are old and cumbersome.

Spend money on updating systems for more efficient and effective work.

Manager over 1 year

Current Employee - Customer Service/Apparel Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Apparel Manager

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good position for people that are self motivated. We have a new CEO that is allowing store managers more leeway on sales drivers for that particular area.

Cons

Inventory levels-I think that corporate forgets to take the square footage of stores into consideration when sending out inventory.

Good starting job in Retail. Udually work around your schedule.

Current Employee - GM Salesfloor Supervisor
    Current Employee - GM Salesfloor Supervisor

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co workers are usually pretty good.

Fast paced environment.

Always something to do.

Cons

Management does not care about teammates.

They say they want to develop young leaders but I have not recieved any of that training.

Very high expectations put on the supervisors.

Lots of bad mouthing of teammates from management.

Don't talk bad about your teammates to other teammates.

Get out from behind your desk and help out when theres clearly not enough people to get the job done.

Pleasant environment, professional colleagues

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Access to the world of retail in Titletown USA. Feel like part of a team. Work / Life balance appreciated. Collegial atmosphere.

Cons

Constant pressure of working for a small retailer going up against the giants. Somewhat parochial view of the world. Company ownership changes are always difficult times.

No Development

Current Employee - GM Salesfloor Supervisor in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - GM Salesfloor Supervisor in Janesville, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best co-workers.
    Fast paced, steady schedule, decent pay

Cons

Management needs to care about the needs of the team more. And there's no developing of the supervisors into the managers of tomorrow.

Get with the times and use technology to your advantage.

okay.

I worked at ShopKo Stores

Pros

nice customers and other employees

Cons

low salary for a lot of work.

This is regarding the IT Department at Shopko Corporate

I worked at ShopKo Stores full-time

Pros

There are very few reasons to work here - unless you like being a martyr and want to feel "needed" because you can't find work anywhere else.

Cons

In all of my 15 years of working in IT, this has got to be my worst IT gig of all time, I thought that management was incompetent with big egos and full-of themselves control freaks. I thought they exhibited the "Old School" philosophy - i.e. its now how much you work or the quality of work that you do, but only how much face-time you are able to provide to this "outfit"...don't waste your time here.

Get a clue - what comes around, goes around...then you might stop getting negative reviews like this one...

Don't bother

Current Employee - Anonymous in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time

Pros

People are relatively easy to work with in my department. It's a little different for every area. 401k match isn't bad.

Cons

Salary is not up to market in current department, no bonuses, no raises, expensive healthcare, people were laid off recently, and complete restructure of company without new job description causing chaos.
    New CEO is completely ignoring staff and only thinking of customers. You cannot get customers in the store if you don't have enough good quality staff left.
    At this point everyone is questioning the stability of their job. I wouldn't be surprised if a good portion of the people left are seeking new opportunities elsewhere.
    Also no work/life balance. Already working 50+ hours a week and now company has downsized many departments adding more unrealistic work load.
    Too many micro managers causing more work for everyone.
    Even with many people dissatisfied with new changes, HR cannot be trusted. Very sneaky and slow. Takes months to hire someone.

Management needs to cherish their staff more. Scaring everyone away will not help. Set realistic expectations. Praise those who work hard and stop micromanaging everyone. Trust your staff and give them room for creativity. I believe most would agree that Shopko needs to stop hiring new EMTs and throwing money away on advertising and recruiting!! Instead use that money to train and grow your current staff.

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandise Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandise Manager

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are amazing and wonderful people that I enjoy working with.

Cons

Low pay. Long hours. Upper management is worthless at getting anythingdone. I was promised a promotion and pay raise over a month ago. They're still dragging their feet and want me to preform a management job without proper training or pay. Not to mention you're constantly on your feet. The cash drawers are a huge problem. Who doesn't change out a till? I've had an easy 3 grand in one register on one day and no one did anything, including the GM. After being told multiple times that they couldn't do anything I avoid the register. It's a high shrink store. Someone is going to get robbed as we're being stolen from.

You guys.... come on. General management training takes four weeks and you let stores suffer and have zero management. Your apparel manager should not be running a store due to the lack of incompetence in the regional managers hands. Then you expect people to bust their butts for $7.25-7.35. And expect great work. Working in the class C pay grade ($9.05) doesn't hit livable wages and you refuse to let them get a second job but don't guarantee 40 hours. Then you celebrate keeping people under hours so they can't get health Insurance? You can't pay a living wage and then won't give out health care? Do you want horrible employees, high turn over rates, lower sales, and store dysfunction? If so. Keep it up. You'll start closing stores if it wasn't for pharmacy ours would have been toast long ago. Your employees are human and should be treated as such. Not a number. Pay better. Set better expectations and show that while you're a business, you also care. 100% morale and support for the company would lead to less call ins. Less sick days. Less out of stocks. Lower turn over rates. And the kicker! More money. Kroger and Costco are getting the hint. Take it while you can.

Sucks!!!!

Current Employee - Freight
    Current Employee - Freight

I have been working at ShopKo Stores

Pros

The job is very relaxing, fast paced, friendly customers.

Cons

Lazy management, the management had big egos but no intelligence, learn as you go training (but when you train, they don't actually train you, just criticize you.) My manager is the worst person I've ever known, and she deliberately makes work emotionally stressful for everyone. Another employee thinks she's a manager but really she's not. She talks behind everyone's back and I have often caught her in easy lies. Overall, if you like high school drama among older people then you'll fit in!

Grow up, and calm down. Get over yourself!