ShopKo Stores Reviews

218 reviews filtered by
2.9
ShopKo Stores CEO Mike Bettiga
Mike Bettiga

Pros
  • I really enjoyed the people I worked with (in 6 reviews)

• Gave me the best customer service training possible which was useful in later (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay makes it difficult to make ends meet (in 10 reviews)

• Store management (at least at my location) changed frequently and most often they were awful managers (in 9 reviews)

1. Great starter job

I worked at ShopKo Stores

Pros

Coworkers were amazing, the schedule was super flexible with easy to request days off. Holidays were hectic, but fun and challenging. Nice customers.

Cons

Not a lot of chance to advance. Raises at reviews weren't always all that great. Constantly rotating management brought on from out of state stores.

Make sure there's support for all employees, not just one department or front end.

2. I had to have good people skills with small children and their parents, I need to be patient with each child.

Former Employee - Cashier in Wolf Point, MT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Wolf Point, MT

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Able to work with new peoole everyday and help them with their chores.

Cons

The downside would be, not able to take some weekends off for personal things, last thing to be involved in.

Being able to work with the client and getting go to know them personally to have a better work atmosphere.

3. Not worth your time.

Current Employee - Freight in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Freight in Wausau, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores

Pros

This job was easy to get and it really gave me a sense of how to deal with stressful situations.

Cons

Outdated technology. management was a joke and didn't know what they were doing. I've been there over half a year and still haven't gotten a review. No raises. They give you unrealistic time to complete tasks. Long shifts. I got calls about once a week because they screwed up the schedules and wanted me to come in.

Please give your employees reviews and raises. Please give us realistic time to complete responsibilities, or even split up responsibilities more.

Decent starter job

Former Employee - Apparel Teammate in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Apparel Teammate in Lincoln, NE

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Regular hours, standard shifts for retail: 4-5 hours for part-time, 7-8 hours for full-time. Good balance of projects, cleaning, and assisting customers. Respectful work environment. Not a bad place to work for a teenager or student looking to work part-time.

Cons

Difficult to request days off, management wasn't happy when school had to come first even with plenty of notice, minimum wage, other employees frequently call in so you're stuck working twice as hard on those days. There were few long tenured employees and the management changed quite a bit in my three years there. My location preferred to hire outside for management than promote one of their own people.

Invest in your own employees and prepare them to take upper management jobs rather than hiring out. Reward good work and dedication with raises, vacation time priority, etc.

6. It's a paycheck with few perks, but flexible hours.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores

Pros

Flexibility, sample sales, great people, nice office environment, opportunities to climb ladder

Cons

Some major egos, jon title changes frequently, possiblity of moving to other area in Company where you have no prior experience or desire to work in, no raise in 2 years, lots of turn over

Encourage employees to be more independent and morale will continue to stay low when there isn't any job security

7. Good people, not competitive employee wages

Current Employee - Freight Supervisor in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Freight Supervisor in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee discount (15% apparel, 10% most everything else, excludes electronics)
    Vacation (2 weeks initially, 3 weeks after 5 years with Shopko)

Cons

Poor wages, cuts to hours with same expectations

Recognize teammates that go above and beyond and reward them for their hard work and dedication with better salaries

8. Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at ShopKo Stores

Pros

Store teams are like family. Closeness of store makes promotions possible. Good leadership structure. Access to all managers if direct manager is not supportive. Every store has tended teammates for a source of knowledge. Teammates discount and events are great

Cons

Very heavy workloads, overwhelming with very little support.lots to do one week nothing the next. Holiday hours are crazy! Pay its not competitive.

Less work at once. Do not stack sets. Consider expanding teammates discount, allow stackable coupons. Exclusions should be less. More compensation with merit reviews

9. I worked at ShopKo Stores

Pros

There are nice people around you. The customers are pleasant to be around if u truly like your job.

Cons

The work gets repetitive. So you have to really like what you are doing.

Not a lot of room for job advancement as in most retail or service jobs.

10. High Expectations, Few Resources at HQ

Current Employee - Buyer in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Buyer in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salaried Position, 401K available, Health Care. The salary is in the low/mid range for the area, the 401K has a small% match, health insurance is available but very expensive. This is all well and good until the next layoff. There have been 3 layoffs in the last year.

Cons

Very concerned about additional layoffs and job security. Leadership has very high expectations but does not provide the resources needed to get anything done. Never rewarded for success, just drilled for more and more and criticized when it doesn't happen instantly. Poor culture and everyone is afraid and stressed about when the next layoff will be.

Be open to spending time or money or at least positive feedback.

11. Enjoyable job if it's what you're looking for

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Leader
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Leader

I worked at ShopKo Stores

Pros

Make your own schedule, pretty easy to catch shoplifters

Cons

Training on the administrative side of things was very minimal (OSHA, audits, quarterly reports, etc.). It made for quite the headache when the fiscal year or quarter ends and all of the financial info is due but there's been little to no training on it.

Quit getting involved in the drama with your temporary/seasonal high school employees.