ShopKo Stores Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
2.8

ShopKo Stores CEO Mike Bettiga
Mike Bettiga

Pros
  • Employee Discount, nice clothes, nice shoes, good prices (in 6 reviews)

• Shopko has great people working working for them, they just don't seem to last or remain happy for long (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay makes it difficult to make ends meet (in 9 reviews)

• There is no possibility for me to get full time (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Shopko Review - It's okay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most staff are nice and easy to work with which makes it easy to become good friends with your coworkers.

Cons

Not very open to newness or change. Put in a lot of hours in during busy seasons w/o extra pay. Did not receive raise this past year and probably won't for the next few. No bonuses and low morale.

Fast-paced, interesting

Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist  in  Lyons, KS
    Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Lyons, KS

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours are good. Work colleagues are the BEST! Love small town living and being a part of the community. Provides opportunities to keep learning.

Cons

There is a fair amount of micromanagement. For example, we gave about 77 flu shots last season and corporate has set a goal for our pharmacy to give 200 to 300 this year.

Consult with those of us out there meeting your customers.

sales assoicate

Former Employee - Apparel Sales Associate  in  Manitowoc, WI
    Former Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Manitowoc, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

flexible, options to move up

Cons

not happy with the suporvisors

be more firm not soft

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good College Job

Former Employee - Service Desk  in  Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Service Desk in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's an incredibly easy job. As most retail jobs, it is very easy to show up, do your job, and leave your job at the door when you leave. Most of the people I worked with were college and high school students so it was a fun environment most of the time. As a part of the Customer Service Department there was not a great deal of pressure to sell more Extra Protection Plans or Shopko Savings Cards--it was simply encouraged.

Cons

The pay is terrible. In 2013 the company did not do well in sales so refused any pay raises across the board in the following year. It was a bit of a slap in the face. The position of Customer Service Specialist needs to be reevaluated. The company took a turn from having an employee working in the cash office as one position to combining it with a supervising/cash office roll. It is entirely inefficient and Customer Service Specialists end up creating a hostile environment because the Job is high stressed, but not increased in compensation and not supervisory status. I left the company because a promotion would mean no pay increase and my title would become Customer Service Specialist as opposed to Customer Service Desk Specialist with more stress and more responsibility.

The hiring process is outdated. This company clearly is operated on outdated policy. Both the manager and supervisor of my department have held those positions for over 35 years--the operation of the department was reminiscent of the 1980s. Training is laughable. After 3 months of working as a cashier I still had very little of an idea of what was going on. There is very little respect for Diversity (Learning Styles, Cultural, Ability, Race, Sexual Orientation, Etc.) This company really needs to pay closer attention to their employees before focusing on its customers. If your employees are happy to be there, customer service with thrive. The CEO Mike Bettinga is definitely on the right track and I can only hope he implements these ideas. In the past year little by little, I saw things change but only on the surface level. Reading a script to customers is not forward movement. Teaching cashiers to respect diversity and relate to each customer on a sincere and honest level is forward movement. Best of Luck to the future of the company.

Good benefits, terrible training and management.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Hodgenville, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hodgenville, KY

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

salary and benefits are good

Cons

short training, high expectations with no resources, snobby no good management.

give resources to your lower management.

Unorganized management

Current Employee - Apparel Supervisor  in  Standish, MI
    Current Employee - Apparel Supervisor in Standish, MI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

There coulld be opportunity for advancement. Large company.

Cons

The old employees who are use to the previous companies procedures. None are willing to change and it kills the overall moral. Even when the store manager tries to do the right thing the other managers continue to do whatever they want.

Give acknowledgment when deserved. Have regular meetings with your mangers & supervisors. BE CONSISTANT. Listen and bounce ideas off each other, you all are going to be spending a lot of time together. Create a good team atmosphere.

Love hate relationship

Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate  in  Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great first job for a teenager. You don't come home smelling of fried food. Schedule was flexible for going to school and could change availability every few months because of things going on in my life.

Cons

No holiday pay unless you are full time. Drama between team mates and some of the supervisors.

Make sure that you enforce what you preach. You don't get praised for things you do right and the no raises at all is horrible.

Good experience for first job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time

Pros

Flexible with your schedule, realistic expectations from managers and supervisors, opportunity to work in different areas, a few cool people.

Cons

Some employees don't pull their own weight. Some of the weirdest kids have been hired here. A handful of the older employees have bad attitudes, probably due to the fact that they don't have a fulfilling life and career. No raises based on job performance so no true incentive to be better than average. Being on the sales floor is extremely dull! New employees are often trained by slightly less new empoyees...

Put more effort into hiring the right applicant. Have experienced teammates train new employees. Great job overall.

It has provided some opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - General Merchandise Supervisor
    Current Employee - General Merchandise Supervisor

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The health insurance is fairly decent. They have always been pretty good about giving time off if needed and working around my schedule outside of work.

Cons

During non seasonal times of the year hours do get cut and it is difficult to get everything that is required of you done.

I feel that you dont give us enough payroll hours to run the store efficiently, with great customer service and get everything required done.

Learned a lot however inefficient with lack of communicatikn with corporate office.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Green Bay, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learned much about what not to do if I ever decide to move from front line to support. Salary was pretty good.

Cons

Emails and vm messages left unanswered, very typical. Pretty high expectations with resources and expenses constantly being trimmed, maybe some of the higher ups could have taken a salary reduction. Many of those folks are highly overpaid and always micro managing.

Inappropriate comments and micromanagement will aid you in losing valuable people. Maybe work on upper mgmt before you start disecting store staff. It starts at the top and trickles down so the negativity there will ultimately cause failure. Too bad Mike Bettiga retired, he genuinely seemd to care about people on the front line. Good luck Shopko.

Worked for ShopKo Stores? Contribute to the Community!