ShopKo Stores

Updated January 31, 2015
2.8

ShopKo Stores CEO Mike Bettiga
Mike Bettiga

Pros
  • I really enjoyed the people I worked with (in 6 reviews)

• Gave me the best customer service training possible which was useful in later (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay makes it difficult to make ends meet (in 10 reviews)

• Store management (at least at my location) changed frequently and most often they were awful managers (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay Job

Former Employee - Cashier in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Cashier in Boise, ID

I worked at ShopKo Stores

Pros

easy, nice people, good location, easy to use computers, fast to learn

Cons

few hours, extremely strict on time, short lunch breaks, compensation, time-off policies

Give your employees enough hours to survive on.

Business drivne company

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Innovative company driven towards improving their business

Cons

Chances of advancement are minimul

Create opportunities for your subordinates

Working here has had its ups and downs.

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Quincy, IL
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Quincy, IL

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love most of the people I work with, I always get time off when requested, and they are very flexible with my student schedule.

Cons

There is some heavy favoritism that leads to people being kept on when they add nothing positive to the store. Way too many seasonal people get kept on after the holidays which severely decreases the amount of hours available. Raises are pretty much nonexistent.

Try to even out how hours are assigned and control the amount of favoritism.

I was not good at Sales

Former Employee - GM Salesfloor
    Former Employee - GM Salesfloor

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, reasonable Management, well-maintained live products in seasonal Lawn & Garden department.

Cons

Forget about getting full-time hours. This company thrives on the hard work of underpaid, part-time employees. Management decisions tend to be made based solely on the numbers, down to the last fraction of a dollar or fraction of an hour.

Encourage more product knowledge among all employees, develop sales techniques rather than focusing only on the numbers.

It has been a very pleasant experience thus far.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at ShopKo Stores

Pros

Drama free workplace. Always opportunities to get extra hours and for advancement.

Cons

Apparel manager has a major attitude problem with employees. Made fun of me for having a "common" name.

Don't have such an attitude when someone calls in sick.

Excellent company.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very considerate of their employees.

Cons

Pay is not great but it is better to work for a company that respects you and appreciates their emplyees and doesn't treat them like slaves like Home Depot.

Raise the wages to meet the economy.

Great environment to work in, poor pay.

Current Employee - Cashier in Marshall, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Marshall, MN

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees in both upper and lower levels. Good atmosphere to work in in-terms of store appearance, cleanliness, and accessibility. Management is supportive of your schedule needs, is readily available, and is responsive to employee questions, complaints, or concerns.

Cons

Hourly pay (including holiday pay) is low compared to surrounding stores in the area. Work schedule varies from week to week with no consistentcy. Management will sometimes schedule on days you request off during the holiday season.

- Install a price checker in the store; I've lost count the number of times customers have asked me to check the price on item(s).
    - Change your software. Some of the menu items are not clearly labeled or are put in locations that do not make common sense which results in check out delays. Moreover, customers are agrivated by the mutliple questions the koisk asks them; they want to be able to slide their card, push one button, and be done.
    - Give your employees the ability to pick up an extra shift if they are available (by manager approval), the ability to know their schedule two weeks out, and the ability to look at their schedule from home.

Great team, misguided company

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Leader
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Leader

I have been working at ShopKo Stores

Pros

+The store management team was fantastic to partner with.
    +Large investment in PTZ cameras.
    +Low key, low pressure environment.

Cons

-Significant focus on hometown growth, leaving the big box stores to struggle with insufficient resources.
    -Lack of innovative practices. Every memo mentions how some new procedure will bring the company more in line with the rest of the industry instead of trying to lead it.
    -Cripplingly ineffective discipline process. Store manager has to get approval from outside the store in order to give any form of discipline, including a simple write up. Leads to retention of weak teammates.
    -Specifically for LP, Shopko is completely hands off for detentions and does not consider deterrences as productive.
    -Loss Prevention now reports directly to store management so you receive career guidance and direction from persons who more than likely don't know anything about LP.

Consider leveraging your own innovation to build new processes. Review your detention policies to see if they are actually cost effective.

ok

Current Employee - Service Desk in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Service Desk in Omaha, NE

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Great co-workers
    - Variety of tasks
    - flexible schedule
    - discount

Cons

- low pay for amount of work you do
    - scheduling conflicts, often don't have enough people working
    - stuck cashiering most of the time
    - no raises

Having employee reviews would be great. Some people work very hard and have been with the company for years and get paid less than some newer people who slack off.

Great Part-time work

Current Employee - GM Sales Floor At Shopko in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - GM Sales Floor At Shopko in Madison, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, good coworkers, management is fine, no micromanagers, nice to interact with interesting and mostly friendly customers. I started as a seasonal employee, will hopefully continue as a part-time beyond that. The store I worked as was great, direct management was fun to interact with, as were most coworkers. They were always very flexible on scheduling, ensuring to give you the schedule and hours you want when you start out. I had never worked retail prior and really enjoyed the experience helping customers inside or on the phone. Was very nice to work with new people outside my full time career. Definitely a worthwhile part time position. Not a steep learning curve for most work, you will be an expert within a few weeks.

Cons

Pay is lower, but consistent with the work that one does. The antiquated non-intuitive technology is probably the biggest hurdle one will face. Be prepared to be on your feet for extended periods.The lack of a paid lunch break needs to go.

It is time to update the technology of the stores. The lack of any reasonable way to identify a given items location in the store is ridiculous, with lots of hunting by both employee and customer. We need more mobile phones for floor sales. Employees waste time and money searching for extended periods when this could be solved with, at a minimum, an internal aisle/shelf location on the floor for each item. It is called efficiency, something the current technology or use of it doesn't allow for. If you can do it for the back stock, you can do it for the bulk of the shelf items. For a self described "high-end retailer" we need to look the part both in the stores and with our employees clothing. Jettison the horrible green and tan, and issue a new updated polo or button down to employees with less dated colors. The stores are in desperate need of a makeover. Considering that many of the employees are working pretty hard on their feet for long shifts at least give them a paid half hour lunch break. I think these changes will attract not only quality employees, but also new and returning customers. I see a lot of opportunity for growth, but not without some change.