ShopKo Stores

Updated December 18, 2014
2.7

ShopKo Stores CEO Mike Bettiga
Mike Bettiga

Pros
  • I really enjoyed the people I worked with (in 6 reviews)

• Gave me the best customer service training possible which was useful in later (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay makes it difficult to make ends meet (in 10 reviews)

• Store management (at least at my location) changed frequently and most often they were awful managers (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

This is an okay company.

Former Employee - Optic in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Optic in West Valley City, UT

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of working at ShopKo for me was that I got a really great discount on eyeglasses because I worked in optical

Cons

The worst part about working at ShopKo was that you don't really get great pay raises. I was there for five years and only made a little over a dollar more than when I started.

Treat employees better so they want to stay

Great Part-time work

Current Employee - GM Sales Floor At Shopko in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - GM Sales Floor At Shopko in Madison, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible, good coworkers, management is fine, no micromanagers, nice to interact with interesting and mostly friendly customers. I started as a seasonal employee, will hopefully continue as a part-time beyond that. The store I worked as was great, direct management was fun to interact with, as were most coworkers. They were always very flexible on scheduling, ensuring to give you the schedule and hours you want when you start out. I had never worked retail prior and really enjoyed the experience helping customers inside or on the phone. Was very nice to work with new people outside my full time career. Definitely a worthwhile part time position. Not a steep learning curve for most work, you will be an expert within a few weeks.

Cons

Pay is lower, but consistent with the work that one does. The antiquated non-intuitive technology is probably the biggest hurdle one will face. Be prepared to be on your feet for extended periods.The lack of a paid lunch break needs to go.

It is time to update the technology of the stores. The lack of any reasonable way to identify a given items location in the store is ridiculous, with lots of hunting by both employee and customer. We need more mobile phones for floor sales. Employees waste time and money searching for extended periods when this could be solved with, at a minimum, an internal aisle/shelf location on the floor for each item. It is called efficiency, something the current technology or use of it doesn't allow for. If you can do it for the back stock, you can do it for the bulk of the shelf items. For a self described "high-end retailer" we need to look the part both in the stores and with our employees clothing. Jettison the horrible green and tan, and issue a new updated polo or button down to employees with less dated colors. The stores are in desperate need of a makeover. Considering that many of the employees are working pretty hard on their feet for long shifts at least give them a paid half hour lunch break. I think these changes will attract not only quality employees, but also new and returning customers. I see a lot of opportunity for growth, but not without some change.

mediocre

I worked at ShopKo Stores

Pros

friendly employees and flexible working hours

Cons

Low wages and micro management

too much micro management

Shopko Stores

Former Employee - Gm Freight Supervisor in River Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Gm Freight Supervisor in River Falls, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores

Pros

Fairly consistent hours. Salary was fair for the amount of work. Extremely friendly coworkers.

Cons

Absolutely no training what so ever. Managers are not the most friendly of people. Except way too much out of minimum wage employees.

Train your employees better

Best job ive ever had

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved this job. I had authority and reasonable responsibilty I was trusted by my DM. If your truck was late they gave you more hours, they cared a lot about the appearance and offered more hours to make it look good. The upper management was awesome, LP was über involved and wonderful. You really felt part of a team and that what you did mattered. The only job ive ever had where there were more than enough people to get the job done.

Cons

The pricing. They live in a 'mark it up to mark it down' world, and in theory its great but not in these little towns. If you dont have the right people your sales dont get set right so the customer thinks you really expect to sell those mixing bowls for $40 instead of the constant $15 sale price. My store was doomed from the beginning and only lasted a year and I blame the absurd pricing structure.

Dumb it down and then dumb it down again. Price things right or the rest of these stores are going to fail too. Too many fantastic managers working there to lose to the haughty big box stores.

Worked at the one in Union Gap, WA

Former Employee - GM Salesfloor in Union Gap, WA
    Former Employee - GM Salesfloor in Union Gap, WA

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Teammates are good to get along with. Management works with your schedule if you are a student. Good for obtaining retail experience.

Cons

Unless your a pretty girl, the male supervisor on the general sales floor will make you work twice as hard, You have to pick up on extra work because he was too busy talking while hardly working.
    Not too many hours but always hiring which confuses me.
    Hard to come up unless you have connections with the management in this store.

Shopko Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People oriented company with very good training program for new hires.

Cons

communicating to employees is lax. Systems for inventory mgmt and financial planning are old and cumbersome.

Spend money on updating systems for more efficient and effective work.

Manager over 1 year

Current Employee - Customer Service/Apparel Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Apparel Manager

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good position for people that are self motivated. We have a new CEO that is allowing store managers more leeway on sales drivers for that particular area.

Cons

Inventory levels-I think that corporate forgets to take the square footage of stores into consideration when sending out inventory.

Good starting job in Retail. Udually work around your schedule.

Current Employee - GM Salesfloor Supervisor
    Current Employee - GM Salesfloor Supervisor

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co workers are usually pretty good.

Fast paced environment.

Always something to do.

Cons

Management does not care about teammates.

They say they want to develop young leaders but I have not recieved any of that training.

Very high expectations put on the supervisors.

Lots of bad mouthing of teammates from management.

Don't talk bad about your teammates to other teammates.

Get out from behind your desk and help out when theres clearly not enough people to get the job done.

Pleasant environment, professional colleagues

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Access to the world of retail in Titletown USA. Feel like part of a team. Work / Life balance appreciated. Collegial atmosphere.

Cons

Constant pressure of working for a small retailer going up against the giants. Somewhat parochial view of the world. Company ownership changes are always difficult times.