ShopKo Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

ShopKo Stores CEO Mike Bettiga

Mike Bettiga

Pros:
  • "Employee Discount, nice clothes, nice shoes, good prices"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great people to work with, easy work, managers were great"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Store management (at least at my location) changed frequently and most often they were awful managers"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Low pay relative to competitors"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Internal transfer

Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee)
Wenatchee, WA

I worked at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsI started out as a cashier and moved to a Pharmacy Assistant .

ConsAt the time we had sub- Pharmacists which made it a challenge.

Good place to learn skills, no future career possible

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked part-time for several years at more than one Shopko location while attending college, and continue to fill in at one department as needed. There is some opportunity to work between departments, and it's fairly easy to transfer from one department to another based on individual interest and work demand. The largest personal benefit I gained was great customer service skills and relationships, and I enjoyed working with several very competent teammates. The pay is "okay" but the only benefit for part time people is a small employee discount in several departments. Part-time employees can be scheduled for almost as many hours as you want to work, and it's fairly easy to get personal time off when needed.

ConsThe changes in the business climate have led to Shopko no longer hiring full time employees. Currently there are a number of older full-time teammates who were "grandfathered" in, but they are not replaced as they leave. The full time employees have a terrible attitude toward part-time workers, and treat them disrespectfully. There is no coaching and development training for the next generation of employees, and consequently I see the company crumbling internally.
The company policies and decisions are made based on the Green Bay market, which unfortunately doesn't work for every location.
At one location I worked, there was NO communication from management. Supervisors routinely publicly berated and criticized myself and my coworkers in front of customers. I was forced to quit my position at that location after the stress of the terrible treatment made me break out in hives every time I went to work, even if I took allergy medication at the advice of my Doctor. They disappeared the day I quit working under those supervisors.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in coaching and training teammates to become the next generation of leaders.

Shopko Overall Review

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people you work with are Great! Shopko is very focused on teammates. Shopko sales high quality apparel from name brand suppliers. They are a High-low retailer which hurt them in the past but continue to grow. Shopko has great leadership and has just selected a new CEO which has made some positive changes. The CEO is giving more power back to the store managers to affect sales growth.

ConsShopko is starting to have inventory issues on getting product out of the DC in time for ads. Shopko tries to reduce risk when purchasing goods which can hurt them when they pick a hot buy. Shopko is currently growing Hometowns in smaller markets and has given up growth on the core money maker with big box Shopko stores

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow Shopko and Hometowns together. Take a risk some times. Fix your Inventory Management issues, and Upgrade computer systems with some advance tech.

Great Place to get a ton of retail experience in a short amount of time

General Merchandise Manager (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Managers, Good Benefits, Daily Challenges

ConsYou'll work a lot of hours, Hard to Balance a life outside of work

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more incentive for managers, make it about people and help them feel rewarded

Not bad for a department store.

Cashier (Former Employee)
Eau Claire, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsThe management was friendly and the coworkers were nice. It was a fairly relaxed environment. The hours were very flexible.

ConsThe store was next to a bad apartment complex and some interesting customers would come in regularly. The break room was kind of gross.

Lack of communication

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
Lincoln, NE

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsShopko is a clean, well-maintained big box store. Good assortment of products.

ConsExpectations regarding the procedure for calling in sick were not clearly communicated. I work in the pharmacy and was not informed (until I actually called in sick) that I was expected to contact other technicians myself to see if someone could fill in for me. The pharmacy and optical department seem to operate as a small,separate entity even though it's under the same roof.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicating all expectations clearly would save all teammates from added stress.

Great people to work with

I have been working at ShopKo Stores

ProsFlexible schedules, great coworkers, family like atmosphere

ConsLow pay relative to competitors

Shopko is a good company to start off in retail.

Optician (Former Employee)
Marquette, MI

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time for more than 5 years

ProsEach location is different, but my store (010) had a solid group of teammates to work with

ConsRetail is always a lower paying position with high turnover and this Company is no exception. Management is not very flexible with hours. Little employee empowerment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more empowerment to front line employees instead of requiring them to asking members of management if they can do something to satisfy the customer.

Absolutely terrible experience. Do not work here.

GM Salesfloor (Former Employee)

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsNone. Working outside in the summer was alright and met a few friends.

ConsEverything. Literally everything. Management acted like high school girls and gossiped about other employees in front of other employees and customers. Management also swore on a regular basis on and off the sales floor, and I did receive a middle finger from a manager. Untrue rumors and trash talk were sadly the norm at Shopko. Management did not listen to employee's or customer's needs/concerns. I came into Shopko as just a customer off hours several times, walked by managers several times, and never once did one say "Hi" to me.

Expectations were far too high, such as stocking three palates stacked seven feet high *alone* *in thirty minutes*. Ridiculous. Pay is absolute garbage, and I got a 15 cent raise over the course of my employment despite working my butt off. Woo. It's basically slave labor for what they pay you and what they expect you to do. Expecting someone to work hard (Like unloading and stocking a freight truck and being the only person covering the entire sales floor) for *barely* above minimum wage is just stupid.

They expect you to come into work on the drop of a dime. You could have plans and be out of town for something you specifically asked off for, and they'll call you up and beg you to come into work despite being out of town. You're constantly expected to stay late, even if you have another job or have other things going on. Managers will force you to stay late, even though it's stated that they have to politely ask you to stay late. By working for Shopko you're essentially saying to them "I have no personal life, feel free to call me several times a week to come into work and I'll stay late every single shift since the lazy managers don't lift a finger to help and stores are understaffed."

My managers got my name wrong half of the time despite wearing my name tag. You'll receive no recognition for the work you do. Doesn't matter how hard you work and how impressive the task you completed was, you'll be rewarded with an "Ok" or no words at all. The morale is literally zero, everybody whines about being there or the workload, but I can't say I blame them.

There's no balance between completing jobs like planograms and stocking with servicing customers. Often times you'd try to hide from customers so you could hopefully get your workload done and not have to stay late. Of course, eight out of ten times management would find another job for you conveniently five minutes before your shift were to end. The store I was at was seriously understaffed and needed people just to service customers and people just to complete the various jobs that needed to be done around the store.

Lastly, it's a surprisingly hazardous work environment. Chemical products would often spill in the back room, some forklift drivers were seriously under-trained and extremely hazardous, and bird feces were left on wooden pallets that were then in use inside the building that were once used outside during summer. The extreme stress brought on an anxiety disorder, depression, and anger problems in me, which I'll have to seek the help of a doctor to cure. Sorry for the extremely negative and long review but I really want people to know it's a terrible place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up, help out, get more employees, realize possible expectations, stop harassing people to stay late or come in all the time, pay more if you're gonna treat us like slaves, train others better, make the work environment more safe, raise morale, literally everything needs to be turned around.

not the best place

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time

Prosthe best reason is the hours are flexible

Consnot a stable work place

Advice to Senior Managementhire people who want to work not just other pay check

Worked for ShopKo Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ShopKo Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ShopKo Stores CEO Mike Bettiga. All 126 reviews posted anonymously by ShopKo Stores employees.