ShopKo Stores Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
2.9

ShopKo Stores CEO Mike Bettiga
Mike Bettiga

Pros
  • I really enjoyed the people I worked with (in 6 reviews)

• Gave me the best customer service training possible which was useful in later (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay makes it difficult to make ends meet (in 9 reviews)

• Store management (at least at my location) changed frequently and most often they were awful managers (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

No Development

Current Employee - GM Salesfloor Supervisor  in  Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - GM Salesfloor Supervisor in Janesville, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best co-workers.
    Fast paced, steady schedule, decent pay

Cons

Management needs to care about the needs of the team more. And there's no developing of the supervisors into the managers of tomorrow.

Get with the times and use technology to your advantage.

okay.

I worked at ShopKo Stores

Pros

nice customers and other employees

Cons

low salary for a lot of work.

good place to work, people are friendly

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time

Pros

work well around schedule,

Cons

usually hire part time, people can be rude

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shopko Review - It's okay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most staff are nice and easy to work with which makes it easy to become good friends with your coworkers.

Cons

Not very open to newness or change. Put in a lot of hours in during busy seasons w/o extra pay. Did not receive raise this past year and probably won't for the next few. No bonuses and low morale.

Poor District Manager! Didn't get involved -was very dismissive of staff needs as well as those of his management team

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at ShopKo Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good starter job to break into retail career.

Cons

Lack of constructive communication from upper management. Complete lack of respect from upper management toward all employees. People appear to be considered a disposable commodity instead of a valued resource.

Get involved! Listen to your management team and try to actually care- people are not disposable- you need to invest in success, not trip over it by accident. Spend time in the store you are scheduled to be at for the day as a role model. Be part of the improvement process, not an observer of the problems.

Fast-paced, interesting

Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist  in  Lyons, KS
    Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Lyons, KS

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours are good. Work colleagues are the BEST! Love small town living and being a part of the community. Provides opportunities to keep learning.

Cons

There is a fair amount of micromanagement. For example, we gave about 77 flu shots last season and corporate has set a goal for our pharmacy to give 200 to 300 this year.

Consult with those of us out there meeting your customers.

sales assoicate

Former Employee - Apparel Sales Associate  in  Manitowoc, WI
    Former Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Manitowoc, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

flexible, options to move up

Cons

not happy with the suporvisors

be more firm not soft

Good College Job

Former Employee - Service Desk  in  Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Service Desk in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at ShopKo Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's an incredibly easy job. As most retail jobs, it is very easy to show up, do your job, and leave your job at the door when you leave. Most of the people I worked with were college and high school students so it was a fun environment most of the time. As a part of the Customer Service Department there was not a great deal of pressure to sell more Extra Protection Plans or Shopko Savings Cards--it was simply encouraged.

Cons

The pay is terrible. In 2013 the company did not do well in sales so refused any pay raises across the board in the following year. It was a bit of a slap in the face. The position of Customer Service Specialist needs to be reevaluated. The company took a turn from having an employee working in the cash office as one position to combining it with a supervising/cash office roll. It is entirely inefficient and Customer Service Specialists end up creating a hostile environment because the Job is high stressed, but not increased in compensation and not supervisory status. I left the company because a promotion would mean no pay increase and my title would become Customer Service Specialist as opposed to Customer Service Desk Specialist with more stress and more responsibility.

The hiring process is outdated. This company clearly is operated on outdated policy. Both the manager and supervisor of my department have held those positions for over 35 years--the operation of the department was reminiscent of the 1980s. Training is laughable. After 3 months of working as a cashier I still had very little of an idea of what was going on. There is very little respect for Diversity (Learning Styles, Cultural, Ability, Race, Sexual Orientation, Etc.) This company really needs to pay closer attention to their employees before focusing on its customers. If your employees are happy to be there, customer service with thrive. The CEO Mike Bettinga is definitely on the right track and I can only hope he implements these ideas. In the past year little by little, I saw things change but only on the surface level. Reading a script to customers is not forward movement. Teaching cashiers to respect diversity and relate to each customer on a sincere and honest level is forward movement. Best of Luck to the future of the company.

Unorganized management

Current Employee - Apparel Supervisor  in  Standish, MI
    Current Employee - Apparel Supervisor in Standish, MI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

There coulld be opportunity for advancement. Large company.

Cons

The old employees who are use to the previous companies procedures. None are willing to change and it kills the overall moral. Even when the store manager tries to do the right thing the other managers continue to do whatever they want.

Give acknowledgment when deserved. Have regular meetings with your mangers & supervisors. BE CONSISTANT. Listen and bounce ideas off each other, you all are going to be spending a lot of time together. Create a good team atmosphere.

Love hate relationship

Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate  in  Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at ShopKo Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great first job for a teenager. You don't come home smelling of fried food. Schedule was flexible for going to school and could change availability every few months because of things going on in my life.

Cons

No holiday pay unless you are full time. Drama between team mates and some of the supervisors.

Make sure that you enforce what you preach. You don't get praised for things you do right and the no raises at all is horrible.

Worked for ShopKo Stores? Contribute to the Community!