ShopNBC

Updated November 10, 2014
1.9

ShopNBC CEO Keith R. Stewart
Keith R. Stewart

Micro Management at it's finest.

Current Employee - Buyer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Buyer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at ShopNBC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any at the moment

Cons

Backstabbing peers, management that is condescending to it's employees.

Let your staff do what they were hired to.

Revolving Door

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at ShopNBC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is nice if you like any of the stuff they sell.

Cons

Low pay, inferior break room, inferior work area, huge turnover.

People need to feel appreciated. The most obvious way of showing that, as an employer, is to pay them well. $11.00/hr. is not paying well. A call center built on stilts inside a warehouse is just sad. Having to walk about 100 yards, each way, to the breakroom and then being told that travel time counts towards your break, is pathetic! Broken chairs, broken A/C, computer problems every single day and constantly being told you have room for improvement. In other words that you're not perfect, but should be!

Demoralizing

I worked at ShopNBC full-time

Pros

Not many pros..the cafeteria was awesome and cheap. I made good friends there and there is potential for a team environment

Cons

Worklife balance was non exisitant. Ton of favoritism. I hated working there and pay was terrible. Would not reccommend.

Look at your team leaders. That is where the problems are

Good internship program, terrible IT Dept

Former Intern - IT Intern in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at ShopNBC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

You get to participate in the action off of the sample stuff they sell, it ends up being really cheap :)

Cons

My manager first assigned me to one developer. He familiarized me with a program and reproduced a bug. I ended up finding the source of the bug and we worked together on fixing it. Second half I got assigned to another developer. He completely ignored me. Didn't answer a single one of my emails. The only words exchanged were those in the presence of our manager (his promises to get back to me) and he would be "busy" if I came up to his desk myself.

Don't be dismissive.

Dismal Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at ShopNBC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

casual work environment, fun immediate work groups

Cons

Terrible leadership from the CEO to VP/Director/Manager level. Short staffed, consistently asked to pick up additional workload with zero incentive or motivation to do so. Questionable business ethics, asked to perform operations in which you know is not in customer interest. Zero room for growth as this company has not grown itself, ever. Consistently performing in the moment, no solid plans of how to grow for the future. Ridiculous and erroneous deadlines that you are given no leeway on (even though strategies change from upper management nearly day to day).

Consider building teams under you to know and perform what you know, then allow them to execute and trust decisions. Train employees properly and have a career path and clear incentive/motivation to move up within the company. Every member of the team that remains stagnant is unhappy and will leave. Value your people and they will value you & the company.

Great work-life balance

Former Contractor - Buyer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Contractor - Buyer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at ShopNBC as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance and a very family orientated place to work. They allow in certain departments for you to work remotely which keeps your schedule very flexible.

Cons

It's a smaller company which doesn't allow for a ton of career upward mobility. They have a tendency to be short sighted at times.

Lots of changes going on daily

Former Employee - Supervisor in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at ShopNBC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Super fun place to work, fun people and the work was fun- getting to help produce a live show selling everything from watches to women's clothes to skin care products

Cons

too many last minute changes- everyone was expected to have a smart phone in their hand 24/7

make a decision and stand behind it

Unorganized Chaos

Former Employee - Buyer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Buyer in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at ShopNBC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Television Retailing is a fast paced environment.

Cons

Leadership "bully" their employees, do not reward success and do not value work life balance.

Implement a strategy that is managed with consistency and enables growth. Stop burning vendor relationships and build brand partnerships that are long term and have integrity. Recent success will be very short lived as it is not sustainable. Treat employees with respect and celebrate success. Understand a "one-size-fits-all" approach will not work for various categories.

Every day is different, poses new challenges. The question is, are you up for it?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at ShopNBC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Perfect for those who take initiative and learn fast:
    If you're a self-starter, you'll do well with the chaos. It's a 365/24/7 shopping network so things change on a dime. Be prepared to learn as you go and learn by trial and error; guidance is limited due to how lean the company runs. People (bosses) are constantly away from their offices or in meetings.

Rebrand driving improvements:
    The rebrand of the company is very exciting and it seems to have boosted team member morale in some ways. The company is working to build a great culture for its team members, and it shows.

Work/life balance:
    This really depends on what department you're in - some don't have any work/life balance. In my department, the expectation is to not work late. It's also refreshing that you don't have to be ball-and-chain with email after hours. As long as you get your work done, you have a lot of freedom.

Cons

Big egos still drive decisions:
    There is an expectation that no one should disagree with the decisions of senior leaders. While many people do, they don't feel free to voice their concerns. This results in a lot of murmurs around the office, and last-minute decisions by leadership impact many layers of the organization, oftentimes to a fault.

Old practices - time to embrace the new!
    New ideas/approaches are appreciated, but are not considered unless it comes from above. Those who have been there for a while find it hard to embrace change. Everyone is pretty set in their ways.

Too short-staffed:
    So much so that the quality of work is compromised. Things get thrown together very last-minute and it results in poor performance. You then receive feedback on this poor performance, and the cycle continues.

Inappropriate and disrespectful upper management:
    Inside jokes are a common occurrence and it feels sometimes like a Gentleman's Club depending on who's in the room. Upper management does not hold themselves accountable to the same standards set forth by HR as the rest of the organization does. Or at least it appears that way.

Employee morale will only increase if you show you value your employees. Last-minute decision making and my-way-or-the-highway treatment will only keep employees walking out the door. Established/renewed trust will help to drive productivity and keep the organization healthy.

Striving for improvement all the time; exciting times

Current Employee - Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at ShopNBC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great. Very friendly, but professional. The company has turned a corner and is making great strides. Its an exciting time.

Cons

It can be hectic and big opportunities are missed. Need more coordination and open communication between departments.

Explain the vision in clearer terms and try new things.