ShopRunner Reviews

4.5
Scott Thompson

Fun, Challenging and Exciting Place to Work

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People work hard and share common goals in a true team atmosphere. Cross functional teams collaborate constantly and personal egos are checked at the door. We are a partner and customer centric organization that focuses on ensuring the consumers have the best online shopping experience as possible while maintaining retailer brand autonomy and credit. The office environment is fun and open in a family like treatment of employees. The leadership team is constantly fine tuning our approach to evolve in the current market conditions.

Cons

As we've grown, we've lost a bit of that entrepreneurial thought creation from all employees and it now primarily resides in the leadership team. While new ideas and thoughts are NEVER discouraged, they are not wholly encouraged either. This is a bit of a departure from the earlier days of ShopRunner.

Advice to Management

Do more than just an employee survey once a year to solicit employee involvement in our future direction. Establish focus groups, round tables and potentially a compensation model that speaks to everyone's potential contributions. We ALL want ShopRunner to win!

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Director in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at ShopRunner for 3+ years now - a lot of has changed, but at not time have my motivation, enthusiasm, or passion decreased. This is primarily due to the colleagues I am surrounded by and the overall attitude of the company to succeed; from the top down. ShopRunner is the best of both worlds; a relatively new company with a start up / can do mentality, yet grounded financially and conservative in the approach of accomplishing company goals. The collaboration b/t all teams is fantastic and the ability to work with and learn other skills is almost automatic. All in all the environment is one that breeds success and a chance to work with smart people who ultimately make work, seem like fun.

Cons

two offices on different coasts can be challenging, but certainly workable

Advice to Management

engage with all employees at various levels more often

3. People are chill, fun to work with

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1) Bosses and co-workers are easy to get-along and work with.
    2) Work is interesting, there is enough to do so everyone contributes in multiple ways.
    3) Senior developers always seem willing to help and answer questions.
    4) Largely left on our own to work, not micro-managed.
    3) I wanted a SE job that would be 40 hours a week and no more, I'm pleased to have found it.

Cons

The other half of the company is in PA so we have to communicate across the country, frustrating when a five minute thing takes 2 days.

Good engineering problems to solve with a great working atmosphere

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being a small company, and operating in a tricky space of eCommerce, there are a LOT of avenues of development. This translates to a lot of options of work available. The company is good in being sensitive to your developmental aspirations and tries to fit into what you want and of course, what is required at the moment.

The work life balance is good, with people not being judged on work hours, taking off if needed, Working from home, again, when needed. The engineering militia gathering mass means more socializing events, free weekly lunch, happy hour etc.

The leadership is terrific. I have worked with 3 other companies before and this place has by far the coolest 'bosses'. I have never been micromanaged in 2+ years here which in startup dog-years is heck of a lot. New ideas and eagerness is well appreciated by the management as well as the peers.

The company pays competitively and has standard benefits like health/401K etc.

Cons

A bunch of folks working for ShopRunner are in Pennsylvania - where ShopRunner originated and continues to operate from. This causes a disconnect, at-least from an engineer's perspective; mainly because of the time difference. Also, managing a project with people from both coasts can be hectic sometimes.

That's the only 'real' problem i see.

6. Its fun, progressive, entertaining

Current Employee - Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ShopRunner

Pros

Everyone is really cool and people like to enjoy a laugh while working hard. The office is located in a prime location in downtown San Mateo close to so many food options. Free snacks, catered lunch once a week, and just comfortable atmosphere make this a great place to work.

Cons

Like others have said, we have the slowest elevators on the planet. Since the building has medical offices, there's always people using them and it can get timely. Not a deal breaker for sure, just a slight annoyance.

Advice to Management

We could probably use more team building events. I like the ideas of playing a sport (softball, etc.) to help build camaraderie among different departments.

7. great work and great people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- a very hands-on cto, who knows his stuff and is great to work with.
    - good work life balance ... get your work done and go home.
    - great opportunities for growth
    - a team that's actually fun to be with AND gets stuff done. (not as common as you'd think)
    - nice location, in San Mateo downtown close to Caltrain.
    - working from home doesn't seem to be an issue
    - smallish company, so no unnecessary meetings or 'sync-ups'; talk to who you need to when you need to ...

Cons

- snacks could be healthier
    - more catered lunches, since heading out for lunch daily is a bit of a disruption.
    - moar standing desks for everyone who wants them
    (these are nitpicks and i know it)

Advice to Management

keep on keeping on.

8. A really great place to work.

I have been working at ShopRunner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- smart, dedicated, supportive employees
    - good work/life balance
    - generous PTO allowance
    - engaged and open leadership team
    - free snacks daily and free lunch once per week
    - fun and comfortable work environment

Cons

- some areas work in silos

Advice to Management

- maintain company culture as we continue to grow

9. Great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ShopRunner

Pros

Eventhough it's a start up environment, not a lot of people stay late, but the work is definitely challenging. Company seems really transparent and there isn't a hierarchy here. Free snacks is a plus and there is even catered lunch every Thursday. Location is great and the office has a trendy, chic and laid back style.

A lot of great talented people from all kinds of backgrounds makes it a great place to learn and grow.

Cons

Since it's a start up some of the tools/systems can be a bit wonky. But, you learn as you go and things are constantly getting tweaked/upgraded. Not really a lot of opportunities to work cross-departmentally for some. Would be great to have some team building opportunities.

10. Huge upside, fun place to work, but not as "start-upy" as one would imagine

I have been working at ShopRunner

Pros

- great coworkers: not only are people extremely smart and expert in their fields, they are also a fun group of people to work with!
    - great upside: there is a lot of potential for the company, and it is definitely going on a up-side trajectory. It is a proven business model that is focusing on execution rather than strategy at this point.
    - great location & office: the office is open, fun and we just opened another floor with more amenities. Its also located near San Mateo caltrain making commuting a breeze.

Cons

- its moving at a slower pace than I would have expected for a start-up. Decisions need to be made on multiple level and its hard to coordinate between different functions. It has a great work/life balance, but I am not sure if that's what you are looking for necessarily in a start-up.

Advice to Management

We need a mission/value statement to better align the company and everyone working towards the same goal

11. High Octane Startup company i worked so far

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at ShopRunner

Pros

I joined shoprunner when company is so tender in its path. peers, culture is so dynamic that demands high competitive work from every body. this made me in step closer to a good software person.

Cons

ya. SR have cons but i would say all companies do have some pebbles like this which every employee should learn to swim.
    i know some of them are not good but i understand and effectively working with it as successful person.