Shopbop

Add Photos

Jeff Yurcisin

Wonderful experience.

Creative Department (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsWonderful work environment, competitive pay, advancement opportunities. I am surprised at some of the reviews of this company, this is a great place to work. So many talented, creative folks and new ideas are well-received. Great work/life balance. Wonderful work culture. The location of the building is so convenient for employees.

ConsThe bonus structure is both a pro and a con. The bonuses are generous but you have to wait quite a while to be able to receive your stock units.

Very satisfied

Software Development (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsShopbop is a company that empowers their employees, and constantly drives accountability to the lowest level. The management team sets clear goals for employees, and works to keep people happy. The environment is very agile, and the teams constantly work to improve and streamline processes. You are in control of your future and your job satisfaction here.

ConsParking can be a hassle

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to retain Shopbop's identity as Amazon integration unfolds.

A turn for the worse

ProsGrowing company with a wonderful location in downtown Madison.
    Lots of nice people work here.
    Willy St. Co-op is a couple blocks away for a great lunch.

ConsI worked at Shopbop for about 8 years. In the early days, the company had a startup feel. It was a big family, and the CEO was friends with people working in the shipping department.

Man, has that changed. The new CEO changed all that. He's a flashy guy who acts like your best friend, but really doesn't care about any opinion but his own.

The entire core of Shopbop, the heart and soul of the company, has moved on. People who had built their lives around this company couldn't take it anymore, and this was hard to watch.
    The fragmentation between the warehouse and the office is severe. It went from "one big family" to segregation.
    The HR dept are a bunch of soulless Amazon henchmen.
    People get fired for REALLY shady reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your employees again.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it here!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsInvent and Simplify, dive deep, ability to change quickly and efficiently. All jobs are currently in Madison or New York and not being outsourced. Total compensation is very competitive. I hear people complain about salaries not being high enough but I truly believe they do not understand the overall compensation package and how company stock rewards may come less frequently but as well as Amazon is doing have a great impact on compensation.

ConsThere are some updates to employee facing systems that either take WAY too long to complete or never get updated. Customer facing improvements are almost always put first since they impact sales/revenue the most...makes sense, yes, but there are some updates to systems that would have some expense impact as well as relieve some employee frustrations and increase happiness. Some more work needs to be done in this area to keep employees happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! This is a really great company. Keep it going.

Was excellent...at first

(Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsBenefits are good, overall company is successful so you'll have a secured job, pay was decent, flexibility, discounts off everything

ConsI started wanting a place to advance and grow, but this company grows so fast there's no time to work with your manager on your own goals for advancement so that never happened. No annual raises unless your a level 8 or above...no recognition, unfairness, employees were nice except the few particular ones I worked next to would verbally harass me and swear. So unprofessional. You get paid decent, but with no advancement or annual raises, you get worked hard to the ground and should deserve better pay. The company can definitely afford it. And some people think it's high school and are more worried about chatting and their cliques than doing their work. People are constantly leaving the company and moving on...

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on being less casual and more professional. This company has tons of revenue...There shouldn't be employees swearing and playing bad music when CEOs, higher up managers, and personnel are walking through. There needs to be more rules and fairness. If an employee is getting harassed, address it. Don't tell them "worry about yourself" There needs to be structure. Take better care of your employees who take care of YOUR customers!

“You get out what you put in” I worked at Leathernxg full-time for more than 3 years

Sharpgalaxy (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsSalary, Employee discount, New and exciting projects, Responsibility, Great co-workers. You are expected to do your job, but are compensated well for the work. This is not a place for people who want to 'slide by' or clock punchers.

ConsLong hours some days, and some folks think it's high school and are more worried about chatting and their cliques than doing their work, but they are few and far between!

Advice to Senior ManagementA monthly newsletter with whats happening in each functional area would be nice.

Mostly positive, with areas for improvement.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsIt's a very friendly work environment with a lot of positivity. Ownership in the company, medical, dental, and vision plans, Company 401k match, paid personal time, vacation, and holidays. Aesthetically pleasing office. Little to no micromanaging, it's more oriented around positive reinforcement and trust in responsibilities being accomplished.

ConsThe hours in Customer Service can vary between 3 shifts. You can expect to work close/open shifts closing at 9pm and having to work at 7am the next day. It's not possible to adjust to this sort of schedule in order to maintain work/life balance. No weekends off unless you request this in advance. The pay isn't competitive in this area as a CSR and is less than the Hourly 10th percentile wage for Madison according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. No additional pay compensation for having a college degree or more years of experience. Opportunities for advancement into other departments is made to seem achievable, but so far not feasible despite being qualified and enthusiastic about available opportunities within Shopbop. I don't believe they are eager to 'hire from within' despite promoting this.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of the people that directly take care of the customers. Managers should be expected to be as employee/team obsessed as we are with being customer obsessed.

Very chaotic and politically charged atmosphere

Software Engineer, Technology Department (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsOffers good compensation, has interesting technology (including the older ShopBOP platform and the new Amazon platform). The integration process with Amazon offers interesting challenges and opportunities.

ConsVery ploitically charged atmosplere. The IT management has some favorite emloyees that are treated very well, otherwise everyone else is treated with disrespect, impatience and micromanagement. Also some very senior IT engineers have extremely negative attitudes that influence their teams adversly. IT management puts new employees under harsh scrutiny while casting a blind eye towards unprofessional bevaior of old-timers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that people do not use the Amazon leadership principles as vicious political weapons. Start by setting the example at the senior IT leadership level. Do not micromanage and provide a balance of power between project managers and development managers. The project managers have too much power without the proper background and the software engineers suffer due to that imbalance.

You get out what you put in

Project Manager (Current Employee) Madison, WI

Amazon in the midwest!

Software Development Engineer I (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsBy far best compensation in Madison area (makes sense Shopbop is Amazon)
    Great place to start, get in door (can transfer to Amazon if want)
    Most affordable benefits I've seen in Madtown (cost not outrageous for family)
    Lots of training opportunities
    Little office politics
    Many collaborate
    Never seen a place more focused on customers
    Feels like a start up
    Newer office space
    Very fast pace
    Most work hard
    Lots to do
    Work on cool stuff

ConsSome long timers struggle with change and fast pace (many like challenge, opportunity to build cool stuff)
    Would like to bring my dog to work (think you can but never seen one in office)
    Some managers have favorites
    Some accept bad behavior
    Would like more holidays paid

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what you do
    Hold managers culpable

Worked for Shopbop? Contribute to the Community!