Shoppers Drug Mart Reviews

• Canada
3.3
Shoppers Drug Mart President & CEO Domenic Pilla
Domenic Pilla

1. Each experience differs depending on associate and management. Very sad that associates dont interact with FS staff.

Current Employee - Cash Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cash Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

PDP Discount is great.
    A lot of loyal customers.
    Great points program

Cons

Lousy 2% raise once a year.
    Head office cutting hours because sales are not up. -> Not store/employees fault. Workers do not control traffic flow of customers and how much money they are to spend. Reduction of FS hours if store does not meet high sale set by head office.

HEAD OFFICE: I understand that in order to make money as a company you have to do cut backs and what not. How do you expect employees to control what people buy or spend in a store? I understand employees have a responsibility to make a customer experience to be the most it can be when walking into a SDM store and that has a lot to do with returning customers who are loyal to purchasing from that store location. But at the same time it is quite unfair to cut the number of hours we are given to distribute in the yearly budget among FS staff when the hours used for staff are necessary bodies (not even extra bodies) that are needed to run the FS on a daily basis.

2. Great Part Time job

Former Employee - Cashier Supervisor
    Former Employee - Cashier Supervisor

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good customer service experience, 30% discount on merchandise, not difficult work, can ask for vacation time

Cons

Just minimum wage pay, sometimes expected to stay after shift
    Overall it's a great place to work if you're looking for part time experience

3. Retail Store Merchandiser

Former Employee - Retail Store Merchandiser in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Retail Store Merchandiser in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time

Pros

Good discount on personal care goods, cosmetics and groceries at all Shopper and Murale locations.

Cons

Each Shoppers is run separately. No lateral career movement between Shoppers. Have to reapply anew.

Good company for part time

Former Employee - Cashier in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

very flexible work ours, you choose when your available. Not a difficult job, pay was good for the difficulty for the job.

Cons

Some annoying customers and there lottery needs.

Hire more men as cashiers, alot of females.

6. Love working for this company!

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

Management takes care of employees making sure they are exactly where they want to be.

Cons

When the store doesn't make a lot of money hours may get cut.

7. Decent experience, a good company to work for with a great sense of community.

Current Employee - Beauty Expert in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Beauty Expert in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A positive work environment. Great staff that like to have fun while still respecting each other. Safety of employees is held in high regard.

Cons

It is shift work, and if you are not management you will be working crazy hours with not a lot of stabilty. Can be fairly low wage when first starting out.

To focus on all employees and not just your favourites. To be able to provide more stability in hours and to be able to give those with more seniority priority over newer employees. To make us feel like we are not disposable.

Amazing experience with amazing staff

Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in Whitby, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in Whitby, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved working in a job that was meaningful as opposed to flipping burgers at McDonalds. I loved working with different pharmacists and getting to work in a team. The employee discount is amazing and is 30% off any original priced item.

Cons

Hours had no flexibility due to the fact I was working with others who worked there full time (didn't have time to take extra shifts off) Had to organize life around work. Long stressful shifts that really tired me out.

Not a lot of room for personal and professional growth. Stuck filling prescriptions like a robot, nowhere to look to aspire

9. management makes a difference. center street Calgary.

Former Employee - Cosmetician in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cosmetician in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

good discount. the cashiers and supervisors are nice. management doesn't really seem too care about you though. seniority is always prevalent at shoppers, not matter how good you are at your job.

Cons

was disrespected, denied access to tools for my job, denied morning shifts and had shifts taken away unknowingly.

no one cleaned up after themselves, i had too clean the area every start of my shift because it was disgusting.

there is no selection at this location and frequently told people "sorry we don't carry that."

no appreciation for work done : cleaning, organizing, sorting product, taking initiative on problems.

i said in the interview i would not be available for more than 1-2 days after my schooling starts. fired me because i changed my availability.

their were made up rules that don't exist : i was denied makeup brushes and a PDT log in account. i was a cosmetician and those are required too do my job. these are NOT shoppers drug mart policy.

my store gave me no notice of schedule changes and did not care when i asked them why they didn't tell me.

my store used the 3 month probation period as an excuse too disrespect new employees.

my store thought it was OK to have expired testers on the sales floor.

i advise people too look at other shoppers as there will be more opportunity at larger stores. avoid center street Calgary cosmetics.

i have worked at 2 other shoppers besides this one. NEVER was i this disrespected.

10. Nothing good to say here.

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

benefits were about the only good thing about this company.

Cons

Lacked training from the start, felt like I was being thrown into the job that was requested.

Take some time out of your day to actually talk to the employees working for you, and work upwards and onwards from that.

11. good to have the chance to work for that company

Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

explore new field, dealing with customers, great knowledge of medications

Cons

not in my career or filed