Shoppers Drug Mart

Updated September 16, 2014
3.4

Shoppers Drug Mart President & CEO Domenic Pilla
Domenic Pilla

Pros
  • 30% discount comes in handy especially if you have an expensive taste for cosmetics (in 25 reviews)

• employee discount that is it, some coworkers are great (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office putting too much work, no time to actually enjoy the job (in 14 reviews)

• big company HR department that supports executives, touts work-life balance in policy only (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

249 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Feeling happy to work in store 0613

Current Employee - Beauty Boutique Expert  in  Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Beauty Boutique Expert in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Co workers, supervisors are very nice.
    Beauty boutique manager is awesome, never giving you hard time.

Cons

Nothing has been improved, absolutely no complaints at all, I'm so proud of working in this store.

No advice, everything is doing great.

Approachable employees

Current Employee - Front Store Cashier  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front Store Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time for less than a year

Pros

I learned how to work on Lottery Machine. Learn about Optimum Cards. There is a lot of promotions.

Cons

Doing the changes on prices for promotions everyday.

Consider someone working as File Maintenance regular check of price tags.

Needs some management skills

Current Employee - Cash Supervisor  in  Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cash Supervisor in Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work here cause it is close to home. The benefits and discounts are good if you can get full time. The people I work with are great.

Cons

My biggest challenges are the hours. Also I find the communication in the store needs a lot of work.

I think that the upper management should connect more with the employees and look at what employees need to balance their home life. I find at my age the working nights then having to open is not fair.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good company to work for

Current Employee - Cosmetic Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cosmetic Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

professional, high standards, fair pay

Cons

high demands, work life balance difficult at times

Cosmetic Manager

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

30 percent discount.
     Store manager was amazing but also left

Cons

Too much work not enough manpower. I worked a large formate store by myself most of the time ( got 14 hours a week for merchandizing). Was expected to do all the ordering, daily lowstock, cycle counts, planos, schedules, meet with reps, gather returns, monthly counts of all derm lines and fragrance, put out daily orders, plan galas, keep lockup tidy, manager paperwork, house keeping of department, all of this while trying to meet targets and supply customers with good customer service . Also on my own time expected go on Shoppers University. What a joke how can they expect so much but give so little I was paid $16 @ forty hours but worked anywhere from 44-46 hours. I left 2 hours early once and lost two hours pay.

Associate needs to appreciate employees more and pay them for their hard work.

Great people, lack luster senior mgmt in some areas, lots of room for improvement.

Former Employee - Technology Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technology Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many wonderful coworkers! Good working conditions. Role can be as challenging as one wishes to make it, but you have to ask and push. Flexible work hours. Some excellent managers, I was lucky to have one!

Cons

Executive IT management fails to see technology as a differentiator in the industry, or if they see it they lack the drive to get projects focused on advancements.
    Decision making time lines at senior mgmt levels are very slow and often impact projects, but the projects are still required to deliver on time, usually at the expense of quality.
    Internal squabbles and power struggles between IT ops and IT projects make the environment toxic.
    Some managers and their staff just don't care and are going through the motions, the senior management allows this to continue.
    Some senior/executive mgmt are very focused on making sure they look like stars but care little who they step on to accomplish that.

Listen to your technology professionals that have the ideas to advance the business from a technology (mobile, online, back office) point of view. Shoppers is so far behind.
    Turf poor managers and their lazy staff.
    From executive management on down to front line staff, stop just talking the talk, start walking the walk. Values are more than a poster on a wall!

A good place to advance your career (Depending on if you say/do the right things)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good career advancement. Typically if you're a great employee and know your stuff, it is completely possible to make your way up fairly easy
    - Free certifications and learning tools made available through SDM University. This is an employee only website where you can learn new skills and gain certifications for everything from basic management and business skills, to advanced excel and data analyzing training programs
    - Employee discount (even in boutique stores with high-end cosmetics)
    - A lot of follow-up at store level from district managers, to make sure everything is in working order
    - The KEY is having good staff and good management. If you have either of these, your work experience is a MILLION times better.

Cons

- Anyone below a Front store manager generally has a pretty low wage
    - The available budget for hours is ridiculously low. Management has to work double time to pick up the slack where an extra employee or shift is sometimes necessary. A lot of stores are very understaffed, which leads to customers getting very upset. Head office knows about the issue but will not change it. They insist it is your fault for not being able to budget or allocate hours properly (How can that be true if EVERY store has the same issue?).
    - It is common practice for management to put in WAY over the 40 hour work week
    - The relationship between head office (corporate) and store level can be pretty bad at times. Store level employees have the general feeling that head office personnel think themselves as over and above anyone at store level. Store level staff get 'scared' when head office comes to visit (which I do not think is healthy in a business environment).

- Treat your employees with dignity and respect
    - I understand the budgeted hours are low, but lets follow labour laws here and pay people for the ACTUAL hours they are working. You are adding to the problem by making it seem that you are able to make the budget, when in reality you can't. Forced overtime/underpaid employees = unhappy employee = problems for everyone.

Meh

Former Employee - Cash Supervisor  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cash Supervisor in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a good part time job but I'd go insane of it was my career

Cons

Most customers can be difficult.... Management was ok but can't really do much complaining

Pleasant work experience and coworkers

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good part time jobs available for students, full-time jobs such as pharmacists or management currently make good living salaries for Canadians, coworkers/staff are generally very polite and friendly and follow regulations, 30% discount on everything bought at shoppers.

Cons

Barely any opportunity to advance in career, stuck where you are with your current salary unless you are planning on working as a manager or owner at some point. Without a degree there isn't really a chance of going anywhere big in this career path

District management of Ottawa seems to be hiring owners who are younger/more gullible/easy to control and will work for less money and do what they're told. Not a very good way of doing things, but more money to the big guy is better for the big guy, which is probably their reasoning. Wouldn't want my end goal to be a shoppers drug mart manager or owner considering the current way things are done around there.

Very friendly and easy to work environment

Current Employee - Cosmetician  in  Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cosmetician in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits, gratis,every store is different, but the one I work at is friendly and many opportunities to grow in the cash nd merchandising departments but not so much in the cosmetics.

Cons

Not many employees to cover shifts if you get sick.

Worked for Shoppers Drug Mart? Contribute to the Community!