Shoppers Drug Mart

Updated January 19, 2015
3.3

Shoppers Drug Mart President & CEO Domenic Pilla
Domenic Pilla

Pros
  • 30% discount was nice for buying light groceries and cosmetics (in 29 reviews)

• 30% discount is great, but that's the only pro I can think of (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office putting too much work, no time to actually enjoy the job (in 16 reviews)

• I've worked for 5 years and I barely get paid more than minimum wage (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Beauty Boutique Expert - had an amazing team, enjoyed working with the products.

Former Employee - Beauty Boutique Expert
    Former Employee - Beauty Boutique Expert

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- seeing new products before they hit the shelves

- opportunity for promotion

- my direct superior valued my opinions and ideas

- majority of beauty associates (young and mature) were absolutely lovely to work alongside

- best loyalty program available by far (Sephora step up your loyalty prog game!!!)

Cons

- Head Office pushed for loyalty prog "opt-ins" (only applies to Beauty Boutiques) so much so, that they were being attained in dishonest ways

- Head Office also rewarded said dishonest sales associates for their "high numbers" of opt-ins

- miserable, bitter, insecure, dishonest associates poisoned the healthy, fun-loving work environment

- a lot of illiterates work in retail (especially the beauty industry)

- seldom do I find friendly and enthusiastic mgmt in beauty industry retail; my direct superior was truly under-appreciated by her own superiors

- front shop mgmt, although i did not always have to report to them, were petty and catty; regularly picking on the same "weak" individuals

not

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ken Caryl, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ken Caryl, CO

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good service, nice people, it was a good time it wasn't to hard it was a nice place to work

Cons

lots of time, it was a lot to handle butt you get use to it very easily

I had an excellent experience at Shoppers Drug Mart.

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Toronto, OH
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Toronto, OH

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

The best reasons to work at Shoppers Drug Mart were the friendly workplace environment and the high salaries comparing to other companies.

Cons

The disadvantages of the company were the little vacation period and the extensive hours of operation comparing to other companies.

I would like to advice you to open a single store of your company in Albania,Europe because Albania is a country model in Europe for the economical growth.The Prime Minister,Sali Berisha will help you to establish the new business there.The profits will come from the first year.The taxation system is the lowest in Europe.

SDM

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

work with really nice people
    discount is really handy
    location is excelleent
    the pay is good and the benefits are as well

Cons

management can be pretty difficult to deal with and pay cuts are rampant
    customers are pretty difficult to deal with as well

improve managements ability
    stop pay cuts
    lower prices for fewer customer complaints
    more people to manage and run the store

Not what you think. Move on to the next job

Current Employee - Avoid If Possible in Toronto, OH
    Current Employee - Avoid If Possible in Toronto, OH

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

They are big company and you can get discounts.

Cons

Management team are only interested in maximizing stock options.

Treat employees as part of the team

Generally positive - work in cosmetic dept.

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

Lots of fun assisting customers with cosmetics - good environment to work in

Cons

Nothing major to speak of -

Fun environment, not worth sticking around.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I made some really great friends through SDM. I enjoyed the 30% discount, the relatively easy to operate tills and more professional than some customer service gigs around. Great place to work if you get a lot of prescriptions!! (no filling fee) Also had the opportunity to try almost every aspect of the storefront, and granted a lot of responsibility. Online scheduler helped a lot if your manager updated it!
    They were recently bought by Loblaws which will likely make it better with President's Choice products and influence from those brands.

Cons

I was definitely overworked during school time (like 32h a week plus my full time school), and there was little way of negotiating out of it. Company preaches 'health' for customers but my pharmacy was definitely not clean, and the employees had a wealth of health issues from working there so long.
    So many uneven rates of pay for the same work. Time off was sometimes difficult, and I often felt we were improperly staffed for the demands.
    ***They did pay overtime, and it is apparently not allowed according to SDM corporate policy. I was definitely too young to really understand the severity of this but they would not acknowledge time and a half pay and would just pay you standard time instead. I knew people who worked 80h weeks at some points of the year, it's despicable."**"
    The Optimum card was HEAVILY drilled into us all the time to the point where we would be told tricks to force people to sign up for more than one.
    Uniforms are hideous - gave me rashes.
    The store I worked in was so incredibly busy it was like running a marathon every 8h+ shift.

I definitely worked with far less effective management than most reviews here, however, I would like to note to those who don't already know that each store is owned individually by the pharmacist, rather than as one unified corporation like London Drugs. So the interests of the pharmacy owner and their partner in crime (ie store manager) can heavily bend away from the standard corporate image. If they're obsessed with being the best or making the most money, their employees will definitely feel the brunt of it.

good

Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it was a good and easy kind of job but you always need to be doing something cause the managers keep an eye on you through the cameras. its an awesome job for someone who is a student and can make flexible hours for those people. the people i worked with where very friendly people.

Cons

shoppers drug mart is the most boring place to work because no one really comes there and you really need to have your hands busy with something or the managers will think of you as lazy or unproductive.

none at all your doing good

Stupid head office bulls*

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

Discount and benefits aren't bad if you are a full time employee.

Cons

Head office cutting hours, yet expecting the store to look spotless after all big promos. Having staff work on holidays because visit from Head Office next day.

All stores should boycott these unreasonable expectations and not stress, not tidy, and let head office see what stores actually look like. All this work on Christmas Day, and District manager comes in for 15 min and STILL finds something to complain about.

Great as a first job to gain experience, but wouldn't want to work here long term.

Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working part-time usually allows for a flexible schedule, and working full-time comes with decent benefits. They hire a lot of young people, so it's a great place to learn the basics of handling cash, loss prevention, merchandising and customer service. Management is very appreciative of feedback and are prompt in replies.

Cons

The training was poor, you learn most things as you go along which makes it embarrassing between you and the customer when you don't know something and they do. They pay minimum wage. There is no customer service counter so cashiers have to deal with refunds, points updates, sell cigarettes, bus passes and work the lottery which causes long line ups very quickly. A lot of transactions, (mostly refunds) require supervisor authorization so the cashier and customer are left to wait for a supervisor to come, causing line ups again. Getting customers to sign up for the Shoppers Optimum Card is your priority, which is easy for some employees but really hard for others.

Training needs to be much more in depth in covering certain procedures, store policies, etc.