Shoppers Drug Mart

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shoppers Drug Mart President & CEO Domenic Pilla

Domenic Pilla

Pros
  • 30% discount comes in handy especially if you have an expensive taste for cosmetics(in 25 reviews)

• employee discount that is it, some coworkers are great(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office putting too much work, no time to actually enjoy the job(in 14 reviews)

• big company HR department that supports executives, touts work-life balance in policy only(in 6 reviews)

Would not work there ever again

Cosmetician/Beauty Expert (Former Employee) Georgetown, ON (Canada)

ProsDiscount is amazing, free schools, free products at the schools.

ConsPeople are give more shifts and time off if they are friends with the person making them. They won't pay you for your breaks and if you didn't take them because it was too busy they will take it out of your pay. Was told not to bring up my sexuality (lesbian) within the store because coworkers and costumers do not need to picture the store with that image. That includes if you have a partner. They didn't care about my school schedule. I would be at school for 8 be done at 3:30 and they expected me to be at work for 4 till midnight. They did this for all of my years there.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop over hiring. Be aware that people do need to sleep. No opportunities for advancement. Care about the people working for you because if you keep it up no one will work there.

cash manager

Cash Manager (Current Employee) Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

Prosemployee discount that is it, some coworkers are great

Consterrible management and associate, no concern for staff at all, staff not accountable for their actions, pay grid is not accommodating to staff who do way more than their job daily to make up for those who do nothing, unsafe working conditions, no health and safety committee, all paperwork filled out falsely when notified of corporate visit. would not recommend to anyone I care about, always short staffed as schedule is not flexible at all. no supervisors no compensation for responsibility and no assistance with issues regarding staff members

Advice to Senior Managementtake part and care about your job as you get all the perks for our hard work. example conference, bonus we get nothing but increased workload and no help. careful as no ones job is secure with lowblaws takeover. pay for responsible employees as this is what keeps your business alive and the customers coming back

Supervisor

Cash Supervisor (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsAdvancement is possible some staff members where helpful

Conspay is bad and treat their employees bad when you quit the management turn on you

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to deal with the staff better give raises and give good feed back

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK job for highschoolers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis employer gave a very flexible work schedule when I was in school. Not bad considering I was on and off the job for a sometime due to school.

ConsThe pay is minimal with raises being scarce. Retail is a buzz kill.

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

Abusing Unpaid Interns - cheapskate managers

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat Learning Experience, negotitable work schedule.

ConsNo pay for interns that are recent college graduates, no chance for advancement depsite working for over 2 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay and hire your interns to full time employees! Give good paying jobs to the recent graduates, or risk the shortfall of employees in the future.

Business Analyst

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsStore discount
    Vendor product give away
    Pension

ConsPoor middle management
    Blame workers for management screw ups
    Poor training

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for middle management ... They need it

It used to be a great place to work

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Guelph, ON (Canada)

ProsFlex hours , home work life balance

ConsNo longer pharmacy focused , head office now runs stores

Started out great but spiralled downhill FAST.

Front Store Supervisor (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsPDP, flexibility, can be fun depending on who's working.

ConsFavouritism evident by associate, bias, short staffed, too much pressure put on supervisors with the workload compared to other departments, unclear communication between staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone equally and with the respect that they deserve

Bad corporate culture full of insecurity and jealousy.

Technical Advisor (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThey attempt to make work a pleasant experience.

ConsAbnormal discrepancy in pay for similar jobs, outsourcing too many positions to India, are not in favour of innovation, lots of jealousy and corporate behind the scenes relationship building

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sincere in your goal to make the corporate culture a pleasant one. Be honest in setting REAL goals. If you have a ESAT (employee satisfaction analysis team) then you NEED a way to gauge satisfaction and to address real concerns, not just use the group as a means to organize events (that's an events team, not ESAT).

I wouldn't work there if I have a choice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocation is easy to access

Constoo much politics and internal strife

Advice to Senior Managementhire people based on talent they bring

Worked for Shoppers Drug Mart? Contribute to the Community!