Shoppers Drug Mart

Updated October 21, 2014
3.3

Shoppers Drug Mart President & CEO Domenic Pilla
Domenic Pilla

Pros
  • 30% discount was nice for buying light groceries and cosmetics (in 28 reviews)

• 30% discount is great, but that's the only pro I can think of (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office putting too much work, no time to actually enjoy the job (in 16 reviews)

• When do I have time actually to serve customers and provide superior customer service (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

I am a cashier in Shoppers drug mart that is the best retails of my dream job and I truly learn a lot of from my duties

Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart (less than an year)

Pros

In my store ,
    A great environment , good coworkers to work with , and great benefit :)

Cons

If you r interred to work at shoppers drug mart then just drop off ur resume right away

Basically most of our products are really cheaper than the others , but a few items price is a bit expensive , otherwise , we always have a great promotion on weekend

Good for people who don't know much about technology

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

SDM is good for people who don't know much about technology, and people who are just looking for a stable job.

Cons

Ridiculous IT systems, inadequate tools, 9-5 attitude

Technology matters, dual monitors, latest Windows and Office, adequate database and data storage solutions... basic technology. Most of senior management clearly knows little to nothing about it. And therefore put no emphasis on that. If you want to attract young talent you need to change the way you think about IT.

Working at Shoppers Drug Mart Post Office I have gained experience in working in an environment where you have to multi task and be patient with your customers,I have learned to appreciate everyones needs.

Current Employee - Post Office Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Post Office Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros about working in the post office is you gain the knowledge how the mail system works. You are able to advice people who dont know anything about it.

Cons

The cons about the post office is. Having to deal with customers who are not patient. Who want things done on their own time and their way. At the end of the day you as the employee have to have the patients.

One thing i would share is the post office can get extremly busy, and for those who do not have the skills to deal with long line ups . I woulf advise management to have more then 1 employee work until closing time.

Overall great experience

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

Great company lots of support.

Cons

More and more responsibilities in cosmetics. Getting harder to keep up with demands.

Should have never applied.

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

30% discount was nice for buying light groceries and cosmetics.
    Good hours
    That was about it.

Cons

I found the store I was working at very "clicky" and had a high school mentality even though the majority of the people working there were middle aged women.
    Training was awful, the manager quickly skimmed through everything and had to basically learn the rest on my own.
    Store owner told me I was working to slow when I had only been there for a week and still learning where everything went.
    High turn-over rate so being short staffed was something you had to get used to.
    needless to say I only worked there for only 2 months because it was just simply awful.

Learn to take the time to train your staff properly and maybe they'll stay for longer than a few months.

Mixed feelings - the good, bad and ugly

Current Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees get a company discount at any Shoppers Drug Mart location, they offer flexible benefits, the office puts on seasonal charity sales, there are sampling of products at times, coworkers are excellent.

Cons

No training, promoting finger-pointing and attacking behaviour, expected to work crazy hours at times without any thanks or acknowledgement, difficult to grow out of certain positions, workload increasing, job grades being lowered across the board.

Not good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount is great. 30% is above average for a discount off regular prices. The discard bins are really reduced and staff can tuck them away and buy later so customers don't get it first.

Cons

They don't give the raise they promise after 3 months. Management are not professional. They gossip about their staff and other management behind their backs. No flexibility with the schedule at some stores regardless of asking for time off. There are no company values where I worked. They put up fake dates and times for huddles (which we never ever had) to pass an inspection from the Regional Manager. Staff could be late and nothing was said. We were robbed and the management didn't have a debriefing or send us home. Business as usual they say. Move on, it happens all the time.

Stop gossiping behind staff's and other managements backs. Be professional and lead by example. Recognize the good staff you have and discipline the ones that coast under the radar and do as little as possible.

Awful treatment in cosmetics In Chilliwack, b.c. By a older cosmetic manager named Erin.

Former Employee - Cosmetician in Chilliwack, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cosmetician in Chilliwack, BC (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A small discount on useful items!

Cons

I worked for the company for 3 years transferred to another brand new location in chilliwack and was let go within the 3 months bc I was put on a probation again. After being fired at that location was told I could come back to my store only to be strung along for the Christmas season and then being told the new store manager didn't like me and I couldn't stay! The new store I had a controlling cosmetic manager, she came from another store and so did I and she knew nothing so I had to tell her how to do everything ended up getting fired bc of her being jealous of me. She made me work the late shift, which was until 12 am, four nights a week and gave me one day shift! Bc she took all the day shifts for herself! What a greedy person! We had a sort of ladies night planned of course on my one day shift she scheduled me nights so I had to work all nights that week then when it was cancelled due to the snow she took the day shift and kept me at nights! I was so tired from working so many nights I would get driven from mission to chilliwack and I fell asleep once and told her about it, when she fired me she threw that in my face using it as a bad thing against me that I fell asleep during the daytime! No wonder she had never been a manager and I will never be that kind of boss to my girls ever! She acted like she was better then me and lied when she fired me saying that I was always late from breaks and was talked to by supervisors that would have to stand in cosmetics covering me when I left which I never ever was talked to once about being late and I had a time card so there would be evidence of that and there wasnt!!! I would say the company definitely has no loyalty whatsoever, I was told by my other boss at my old store not to say anything or complain about her if I wanted to work for the company ever again well it's years and years later and I don't work there! I am a successful person and am a store manager now, for a different company, way higher up then just a cosmetic manager for shoppers! I am a extremely hard worker and give my all to the company I work for and shoppers was just a waste of my time and years!

You should really hire management that have manager skills! Untrained unprofessional managers are not successful! I bet she has had high turn over in cosmetics bc she is judgmental and has a power trip going on in her head!!!

Terrible. This company treats its employees like garbage

Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people were nice and the 30% discount was nice. I worked at two different shoppers and found that one shoppers was a much better work environment than the other.

Cons

One of the biggest cons I would say is definitely that as a cashier that you don't get paid to count till. That's 15 minutes part of your shift that you don't get paid for - even though you're suppose to stay until the end of your shift. That is totally unfair and rips off employees. There is no formal way to give feedback to management. Cashiers would get in trouble for long line ups when management would only put 2 cashiers on staff. Management seemed to blame everything on employees and not take into consideration their own faults. Also, it's also annoying that Cosmetics is always upset at cashiers when people buy make up products at Cash. What are we suppose to do send them away?

Start paying employees what they deserve - considering they have to work to 12am in the morning. There has to be a way for management to be evaluated as well.

Good enviroment

Current Employee - Receiver in New Westminster, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Receiver in New Westminster, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company
    No big problems
    Nice people

Cons

Schedule change everything week
    No dental care