Shoppers Drug Mart

Updated October 21, 2014
3.3

Shoppers Drug Mart President & CEO Domenic Pilla
Domenic Pilla

Pros
  • 30% discount was nice for buying light groceries and cosmetics (in 28 reviews)

• 30% discount is great, but that's the only pro I can think of (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office putting too much work, no time to actually enjoy the job (in 16 reviews)

• When do I have time actually to serve customers and provide superior customer service (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Mixed feelings - the good, bad and ugly

Current Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees get a company discount at any Shoppers Drug Mart location, they offer flexible benefits, the office puts on seasonal charity sales, there are sampling of products at times, coworkers are excellent.

Cons

No training, promoting finger-pointing and attacking behaviour, expected to work crazy hours at times without any thanks or acknowledgement, difficult to grow out of certain positions, workload increasing, job grades being lowered across the board.

Terrible. This company treats its employees like garbage

Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people were nice and the 30% discount was nice. I worked at two different shoppers and found that one shoppers was a much better work environment than the other.

Cons

One of the biggest cons I would say is definitely that as a cashier that you don't get paid to count till. That's 15 minutes part of your shift that you don't get paid for - even though you're suppose to stay until the end of your shift. That is totally unfair and rips off employees. There is no formal way to give feedback to management. Cashiers would get in trouble for long line ups when management would only put 2 cashiers on staff. Management seemed to blame everything on employees and not take into consideration their own faults. Also, it's also annoying that Cosmetics is always upset at cashiers when people buy make up products at Cash. What are we suppose to do send them away?

Start paying employees what they deserve - considering they have to work to 12am in the morning. There has to be a way for management to be evaluated as well.

Feeling happy to work in store 0613

Current Employee - Beauty Boutique Expert in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Beauty Boutique Expert in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co workers, supervisors are very nice.
    Beauty boutique manager is awesome, never giving you hard time.

Cons

Nothing has been improved, absolutely no complaints at all, I'm so proud of working in this store.

No advice, everything is doing great.

Approachable employees

Current Employee - Front Store Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front Store Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I learned how to work on Lottery Machine. Learn about Optimum Cards. There is a lot of promotions.

Cons

Doing the changes on prices for promotions everyday.

Consider someone working as File Maintenance regular check of price tags.

Needs some management skills

Current Employee - Cash Supervisor in Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cash Supervisor in Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work here cause it is close to home. The benefits and discounts are good if you can get full time. The people I work with are great.

Cons

My biggest challenges are the hours. Also I find the communication in the store needs a lot of work.

I think that the upper management should connect more with the employees and look at what employees need to balance their home life. I find at my age the working nights then having to open is not fair.

good company to work for

Current Employee - Cosmetic Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cosmetic Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

professional, high standards, fair pay

Cons

high demands, work life balance difficult at times

Should have never applied.

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

30% discount was nice for buying light groceries and cosmetics.
    Good hours
    That was about it.

Cons

I found the store I was working at very "clicky" and had a high school mentality even though the majority of the people working there were middle aged women.
    Training was awful, the manager quickly skimmed through everything and had to basically learn the rest on my own.
    Store owner told me I was working to slow when I had only been there for a week and still learning where everything went.
    High turn-over rate so being short staffed was something you had to get used to.
    needless to say I only worked there for only 2 months because it was just simply awful.

Learn to take the time to train your staff properly and maybe they'll stay for longer than a few months.

Not good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount is great. 30% is above average for a discount off regular prices. The discard bins are really reduced and staff can tuck them away and buy later so customers don't get it first.

Cons

They don't give the raise they promise after 3 months. Management are not professional. They gossip about their staff and other management behind their backs. No flexibility with the schedule at some stores regardless of asking for time off. There are no company values where I worked. They put up fake dates and times for huddles (which we never ever had) to pass an inspection from the Regional Manager. Staff could be late and nothing was said. We were robbed and the management didn't have a debriefing or send us home. Business as usual they say. Move on, it happens all the time.

Stop gossiping behind staff's and other managements backs. Be professional and lead by example. Recognize the good staff you have and discipline the ones that coast under the radar and do as little as possible.

Awful treatment in cosmetics In Chilliwack, b.c. By a older cosmetic manager named Erin.

Former Employee - Cosmetician in Chilliwack, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cosmetician in Chilliwack, BC (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A small discount on useful items!

Cons

I worked for the company for 3 years transferred to another brand new location in chilliwack and was let go within the 3 months bc I was put on a probation again. After being fired at that location was told I could come back to my store only to be strung along for the Christmas season and then being told the new store manager didn't like me and I couldn't stay! The new store I had a controlling cosmetic manager, she came from another store and so did I and she knew nothing so I had to tell her how to do everything ended up getting fired bc of her being jealous of me. She made me work the late shift, which was until 12 am, four nights a week and gave me one day shift! Bc she took all the day shifts for herself! What a greedy person! We had a sort of ladies night planned of course on my one day shift she scheduled me nights so I had to work all nights that week then when it was cancelled due to the snow she took the day shift and kept me at nights! I was so tired from working so many nights I would get driven from mission to chilliwack and I fell asleep once and told her about it, when she fired me she threw that in my face using it as a bad thing against me that I fell asleep during the daytime! No wonder she had never been a manager and I will never be that kind of boss to my girls ever! She acted like she was better then me and lied when she fired me saying that I was always late from breaks and was talked to by supervisors that would have to stand in cosmetics covering me when I left which I never ever was talked to once about being late and I had a time card so there would be evidence of that and there wasnt!!! I would say the company definitely has no loyalty whatsoever, I was told by my other boss at my old store not to say anything or complain about her if I wanted to work for the company ever again well it's years and years later and I don't work there! I am a successful person and am a store manager now, for a different company, way higher up then just a cosmetic manager for shoppers! I am a extremely hard worker and give my all to the company I work for and shoppers was just a waste of my time and years!

You should really hire management that have manager skills! Untrained unprofessional managers are not successful! I bet she has had high turn over in cosmetics bc she is judgmental and has a power trip going on in her head!!!

Cosmetic Manager

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

30 percent discount.
     Store manager was amazing but also left

Cons

Too much work not enough manpower. I worked a large formate store by myself most of the time ( got 14 hours a week for merchandizing). Was expected to do all the ordering, daily lowstock, cycle counts, planos, schedules, meet with reps, gather returns, monthly counts of all derm lines and fragrance, put out daily orders, plan galas, keep lockup tidy, manager paperwork, house keeping of department, all of this while trying to meet targets and supply customers with good customer service . Also on my own time expected go on Shoppers University. What a joke how can they expect so much but give so little I was paid $16 @ forty hours but worked anywhere from 44-46 hours. I left 2 hours early once and lost two hours pay.

Associate needs to appreciate employees more and pay them for their hard work.