Shoppers Drug Mart

Updated January 19, 2015
3.3

Shoppers Drug Mart President & CEO Domenic Pilla
Domenic Pilla

Pros
  • 30% discount was nice for buying light groceries and cosmetics (in 29 reviews)

• 30% discount is great, but that's the only pro I can think of (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office putting too much work, no time to actually enjoy the job (in 16 reviews)

• I've worked for 5 years and I barely get paid more than minimum wage (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

AFSM

Current Employee - Assistant Front Store Manager - Process Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good discount, simple and engaging work, not too much nonsense from head office

A lot of people might complain, but usually it's the result of individual managers/owners, or else the person has an exalted notion of how productive they are. In my experience, good workers are rewarded for their efforts in raises, promotions, and internal gifts.

Cons

Labour hours are often inadequate, customer service is poor as a result.

Not much bad to say, really. It's a retail employer and so the stress is typical, the complaints typical, and the only gripe I might have is with the seemingly arbitrary amount of paperwork we're required to file.

Plus, our cash registers are pretty basic. And the internet at work is terrible. But hey, at least we have Chrome after all this time.

Cut out the paper trail already. It's 2014. Get digital. Integrate the various systems and networks already. I should be able to trace a product to another store. I should know where a customer can find something advertised in the flyer if I don't have it.

MMS is SOOOOOO old. EPOS is pretty dated at this point too. I won't even talk about ETM/WFM. What 8-bit tech start-up designed that software?

Beauty Boutique Manager

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

Great discount, schools are awesome, free goods. I worked for 3 shoppers drug mart, different cities, all together 9 years. 2 stores was amazing, but because the last associate it completely ruins everything for me. Company great, but all depends on who owns the store.

Cons

Head office putting too much work, no time to actually enjoy the job. Galas, raising money for cancer, getting e- clientelling, training everyone for it, creating events... All of this at Christmas time! When do I have time actually to serve customers and provide superior customer service? We are not robots. Especially stressful when short stuffed and when good team going somewhere else to work because associate to cheap to pay competitive wages. No gala support whatsoever, 0,23 cents wage increase over Christmas and now our gratis was given to front store because associate is in title to it and he do what he wants with it? Why am I getting in trouble for not going to outside events to promote my Boutique from head office when my associate would not even pay my gas to drive there I'm not talking about my hourly wage or lunch!

To district manager: if you see not much movement in cosmetics please do not blame the manager, blame cheap associate who wants to cut training hours, because $175 is too much to cover 5 hour round trip on the car to training destination and $15 lunch with taxes and tips are included.

Roller Coaster, every Store Owner, Manager has different rules.

Current Employee - Cashier in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

favorite customers some of which I have watched grown up to be the nicest people, and now have children of their own. I like the fact I have 6 weeks vacation time, and medical dental plans. A staff discount plan.

Cons

closed minded management, skin color issues, nasty public, favoritism scheduling, always negative feedback, never praise for the things you over and above or doing your job well, they claim teamwork but only for specific people. I really used to love my job but now it's full of anxiety, depression, and fear.

listen to customers and staff you may find a way to balance to front store work (serving customers) and backroom work load.

Great Company - HR needs to be less political and promote the right people

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

compensation good, benefits good, colleagues great.

Cons

Management needs to realize more work/life balance and be forward thinking in internal equity.

It could be better

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits, good work environment, good facilities

Cons

Always an overwhelming workload, no breaks most of the time, very irregular shifts

Would not work there ever again

Former Employee - Cosmetician/Beauty Expert in Georgetown, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cosmetician/Beauty Expert in Georgetown, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount is amazing, free schools, free products at the schools.

Cons

People are give more shifts and time off if they are friends with the person making them. They won't pay you for your breaks and if you didn't take them because it was too busy they will take it out of your pay. Was told not to bring up my sexuality (lesbian) within the store because coworkers and costumers do not need to picture the store with that image. That includes if you have a partner. They didn't care about my school schedule. I would be at school for 8 be done at 3:30 and they expected me to be at work for 4 till midnight. They did this for all of my years there.

Stop over hiring. Be aware that people do need to sleep. No opportunities for advancement. Care about the people working for you because if you keep it up no one will work there.

Great but for how long

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time

Pros

Great people and culture with positive company values that employees live up to. Office is well located, compensation and benefits are competitive,

Cons

Open question on how company will operate now that acquisition is complete. Stores will likely be unaffected but corporate staff may be impacted by new management, culture, etc. of Loblaws.

Keep the strong people. Recognize, reward and retain top talent.

Beauty Boutique Expert and Cosmetician

Current Employee - Cosmetician/Beauty Expert in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cosmetician/Beauty Expert in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to work with a variety of cosmetic lines, going to yearly schools to learn about products and getting lots of free goodies, meeting lots of people, working one on one with customers, doing makeovers and consultations, having monthly gala parties, 30% discount comes in handy when you have expensive taste!

Cons

Promotions take forever to achieve, management is horrible, raises are next to nothing, boring if you are in cosmetics by yourself and are slow, on your feet all day

No training or support and unprofessional

Former Employee - Outside Sales - Rehab Equipment in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales - Rehab Equipment in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not being micro-managed, sales reps get company vehicles and cellular phones, pay is decent- more if you work for sales reps because you earn commission

Cons

negative environment, miserable people- especially the sales support, very unorganized, no training or support, feels like highschool with all girls on their p., work overload- expected to do everything and anything with little to no help

Provide proper training for your employees. Weed out the negative people, they bring others down. Pay attention to how the sales support speak to customers, they are not very nice

I have mixed feelings....

Current Employee - Assistant Front Store Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Front Store Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well it's a job...the people i work with are amazing which makes it alot easier to handle.

Cons

Unorganized
    Lack of communications
    Sometimes the way people talk/treat you just makes you wonder if it's worth it.

Appreciate your employees
    They are what the foundation of the company is built on.