Shoppers Drug Mart

Updated January 19, 2015
3.3

Shoppers Drug Mart President & CEO Domenic Pilla
Domenic Pilla

Pros
  • 30% discount was nice for buying light groceries and cosmetics (in 29 reviews)

• 30% discount is great, but that's the only pro I can think of (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office putting too much work, no time to actually enjoy the job (in 16 reviews)

• I've worked for 5 years and I barely get paid more than minimum wage (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I am a cashier in Shoppers drug mart that is the best retails of my dream job and I truly learn a lot of from my duties

Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart (less than a year)

Pros

In my store ,
    A great environment , good coworkers to work with , and great benefit :)

Cons

If you r interred to work at shoppers drug mart then just drop off ur resume right away

Basically most of our products are really cheaper than the others , but a few items price is a bit expensive , otherwise , we always have a great promotion on weekend

Fun environment, not worth sticking around.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I made some really great friends through SDM. I enjoyed the 30% discount, the relatively easy to operate tills and more professional than some customer service gigs around. Great place to work if you get a lot of prescriptions!! (no filling fee) Also had the opportunity to try almost every aspect of the storefront, and granted a lot of responsibility. Online scheduler helped a lot if your manager updated it!
    They were recently bought by Loblaws which will likely make it better with President's Choice products and influence from those brands.

Cons

I was definitely overworked during school time (like 32h a week plus my full time school), and there was little way of negotiating out of it. Company preaches 'health' for customers but my pharmacy was definitely not clean, and the employees had a wealth of health issues from working there so long.
    So many uneven rates of pay for the same work. Time off was sometimes difficult, and I often felt we were improperly staffed for the demands.
    ***They did pay overtime, and it is apparently not allowed according to SDM corporate policy. I was definitely too young to really understand the severity of this but they would not acknowledge time and a half pay and would just pay you standard time instead. I knew people who worked 80h weeks at some points of the year, it's despicable."**"
    The Optimum card was HEAVILY drilled into us all the time to the point where we would be told tricks to force people to sign up for more than one.
    Uniforms are hideous - gave me rashes.
    The store I worked in was so incredibly busy it was like running a marathon every 8h+ shift.

I definitely worked with far less effective management than most reviews here, however, I would like to note to those who don't already know that each store is owned individually by the pharmacist, rather than as one unified corporation like London Drugs. So the interests of the pharmacy owner and their partner in crime (ie store manager) can heavily bend away from the standard corporate image. If they're obsessed with being the best or making the most money, their employees will definitely feel the brunt of it.

Great as a first job to gain experience, but wouldn't want to work here long term.

Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working part-time usually allows for a flexible schedule, and working full-time comes with decent benefits. They hire a lot of young people, so it's a great place to learn the basics of handling cash, loss prevention, merchandising and customer service. Management is very appreciative of feedback and are prompt in replies.

Cons

The training was poor, you learn most things as you go along which makes it embarrassing between you and the customer when you don't know something and they do. They pay minimum wage. There is no customer service counter so cashiers have to deal with refunds, points updates, sell cigarettes, bus passes and work the lottery which causes long line ups very quickly. A lot of transactions, (mostly refunds) require supervisor authorization so the cashier and customer are left to wait for a supervisor to come, causing line ups again. Getting customers to sign up for the Shoppers Optimum Card is your priority, which is easy for some employees but really hard for others.

Training needs to be much more in depth in covering certain procedures, store policies, etc.

Good enviroment

Current Employee - Receiver in New Westminster, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Receiver in New Westminster, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company
    No big problems
    Nice people

Cons

Schedule change everything week
    No dental care

Awful treatment in cosmetics In Chilliwack, b.c. By a older cosmetic manager named Erin.

Former Employee - Cosmetician in Chilliwack, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cosmetician in Chilliwack, BC (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A small discount on useful items!

Cons

I worked for the company for 3 years transferred to another brand new location in chilliwack and was let go within the 3 months bc I was put on a probation again. After being fired at that location was told I could come back to my store only to be strung along for the Christmas season and then being told the new store manager didn't like me and I couldn't stay! The new store I had a controlling cosmetic manager, she came from another store and so did I and she knew nothing so I had to tell her how to do everything ended up getting fired bc of her being jealous of me. She made me work the late shift, which was until 12 am, four nights a week and gave me one day shift! Bc she took all the day shifts for herself! What a greedy person! We had a sort of ladies night planned of course on my one day shift she scheduled me nights so I had to work all nights that week then when it was cancelled due to the snow she took the day shift and kept me at nights! I was so tired from working so many nights I would get driven from mission to chilliwack and I fell asleep once and told her about it, when she fired me she threw that in my face using it as a bad thing against me that I fell asleep during the daytime! No wonder she had never been a manager and I will never be that kind of boss to my girls ever! She acted like she was better then me and lied when she fired me saying that I was always late from breaks and was talked to by supervisors that would have to stand in cosmetics covering me when I left which I never ever was talked to once about being late and I had a time card so there would be evidence of that and there wasnt!!! I would say the company definitely has no loyalty whatsoever, I was told by my other boss at my old store not to say anything or complain about her if I wanted to work for the company ever again well it's years and years later and I don't work there! I am a successful person and am a store manager now, for a different company, way higher up then just a cosmetic manager for shoppers! I am a extremely hard worker and give my all to the company I work for and shoppers was just a waste of my time and years!

You should really hire management that have manager skills! Untrained unprofessional managers are not successful! I bet she has had high turn over in cosmetics bc she is judgmental and has a power trip going on in her head!!!

very very grateful for the experience

Former Employee - Cosmetic Manager in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cosmetic Manager in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Want to learn about the cosmetic industry ..able to learn new business models within a four wall setting and able to run the show

Cons

Not always to best tools for success

.. take the time and dont panic.. its felt throughout

Roller Coaster, every Store Owner, Manager has different rules.

Current Employee - Cashier in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

favorite customers some of which I have watched grown up to be the nicest people, and now have children of their own. I like the fact I have 6 weeks vacation time, and medical dental plans. A staff discount plan.

Cons

closed minded management, skin color issues, nasty public, favoritism scheduling, always negative feedback, never praise for the things you over and above or doing your job well, they claim teamwork but only for specific people. I really used to love my job but now it's full of anxiety, depression, and fear.

listen to customers and staff you may find a way to balance to front store work (serving customers) and backroom work load.

Amazing Place to work at

Current Employee - Front Store Cashier in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front Store Cashier in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers and amazing management.
    Flexible scheduling.
    Advance scheduling.

By far this has been the best part time job that I ever had. They are very understanding as long as you give them a heads up with shift scheduling and over time you make great friends and everyone is friendly.

Cons

None at all really! The place I work at is really amazing.

Keep doing what you do!

Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Assistant in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good training, nice co-workers, looks good on resume

Cons

Salary is very low, no career advancement opportunities

Good people, Good company

Current Employee - Sales in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Part of Shoppers Drug Mart, benefits and employee discount

Cons

poor compensation, still a new company so has some growing pains