Shoppers Food & Pharmacy
www.shoppersfood.com Bowie, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

Shoppers Food & Pharmacy Reviews

Updated Nov 8, 2013

Tim Lowe

Great grocery store to work at, great employees, management, and customers

Frozen Food (Former Employee)
Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat employees and work atmosphere. Opportunity to work without management constantly controlling or on your back. They encourage conversation and communication with customers and other employees.

ConsNot many downsides. Lack of opportunity for advancement but that is to be expected with a position at a grocery store. The work can also be a little bit tedious at times, with a lack of variety at times.

Assistant Bakery Lead

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Eldersburg, MD

I worked at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDon't work here unless it's an in between job/ High School job/ Retirement extra income.

If you get a good group of people to work with, not just in your department but in the rest of the store, your time can seen well spent. That's the ONLY reason I stayed as long as I did (Nearly 5 years)

ConsYOUR ENTIRE EXPERIENCE DEPENDS ON ONE THING! The Manager. If you're not in the "In-Crowd" with the Manager, good luck getting anything you ask for. I spent a half year with a humid freezer... snow-cone type ice falling from the ceiling and covering the frozen floor.... yeah... tons of fun.
AND if you think you can "Just switch stores" ... you got that right. They'll send your ass 45mins to an hour away if there aren't any openings in the area. I've seen It happen more than a couple times.
I never actually got my Full time status because of loop-holes in the employment contract, and Manager intervening so I would never meet those requirements. Ridiculous thing is, I COULDN'T not work 35+ hours a week. There would have only been half a Bakery left. So every couple of weeks I would have to go under 32 hours a week. Meanwhile we ACTUALLY got the help we needed when my hours got cut for the week. Help we could have used during those past few weeks I was working 35+ hours.... Imagine that!

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the store managers who are giving your company a bad taste. If you KNOW a store manager is "known by the union"... get him out of your company! You don't need that! Shoppers could be such a GREAT place to not only work but expand and flourish in a career, IF the problem managers were let go. And maybe then, just maybe, the company wouldn't be going to hell in a hand basket, halfway to everyone being on the unemployment line.

Not the best company to work for.

Cashier (Current Employee)
Dumfries, VA

I have been working at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy part-time for less than a year

Prosit is a business that services people

Conseverything i can possibly think of

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management team is all about themselves. They don't care for there employees.

Pubilc interaction

Cashier (Former Employee)
Waldorf, MD

I worked at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy part-time for more than a year

ProsCustomer Service . Store well stocked

Consunsatisfied customers, expired food not removed from shelfs

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time

Interesting and widely approached. Disappointed by the Unions.

Cashier Supervisor (Current Employee)
Springfield, VA

I have been working at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible times, wide range of possibilities

ConsPoor pay, due to strict union regulations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the unions. They have been really good to me, trying to give me as many hours as possible in order to raise my monthly pay, since they couldn't raise my hourly one. But there was always some jealous old employee ready to call the union representative and put you back in place.

mediocre and not a nice place to work

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Bowie, MD

I have been working at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy full-time for more than 10 years

Prosnice operation can be better

Consno advance absolute for minorities

Advice to Senior Managementbe honest

Good starter job. A big eye opener.

Cashier, Deli Clerk, Grocery, Bakery, Etc (Current Employee)
Brooklyn Park, MD

I have been working at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy part-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can easily pick up hours because usually other people will call out. Usually you can ask management to get trained in other departments. They give you a 35-40 cent raise per year or depending on how many hours you work.

ConsYou will not get promoted to be a manager even if you're trained. They will work you like a dog by training you in different departments. If you work in deli department, good luck because it is a lot of work and they are picky! Depending on the store, you will get 1, 2, or no days off a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting hours and expect us to still achieve our goals.

A long hard working back breaking job

Food Service Clerk (Former Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I worked at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood benefits if you can get full time, and good pay , overtime on sundays this is great and anything over 40 hours or over 8 hours in 1 day

Conshave to work to hard and little hours if you don't get full time, too much work to do in one day, with very little assistance, and must be able to know how to do all aspects more or less of several departments, be willing to work all saturdays and most sundays

Advice to Senior Managementpeople should not be fired after they get hurt on the job just because they are not 100% after operations, should have options to have every other saturday off

The job is decent, been working there for 8 years, if you are just starting you wont get that many hours

College Park, MD

I have been working at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy

ProsThe job is flexible with your personal life and will give you off for school related things and is also flexible with your availability, with the exception of weekends and holidays. The job is a decent job once you start making top pay, which is currently $16.15 an hour. Once you reach this you will get a raise of anywhere from 30-60 cents a year.

ConsThey start you at $7.55 with no experience. You can work at any of the other grocery store competitors for more starting out.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lack of communication in this store between the manager which falls onto the shoulders of the employees.

Cashier Position

Cashier (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy

ProsThe pay is very good for a first job, and that all I can say

ConsManagement is terrible, no room for growth or advancement, takes forever to be even considered for full time, you have to wait until someone retires

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get managers that are not teenagers and those who actually care

Worked for Shoppers Food & Pharmacy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shoppers Food & Pharmacy CEO Tim Lowe. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Shoppers Food & Pharmacy employees.