Shoppers Food & Pharmacy

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.3

Tim Lowe

Great grocery store to work at, great employees, management, and customers

Former Employee - Frozen Food in Ellicott City, MD
    Former Employee - Frozen Food in Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employees and work atmosphere. Opportunity to work without management constantly controlling or on your back. They encourage conversation and communication with customers and other employees.

Cons

Not many downsides. Lack of opportunity for advancement but that is to be expected with a position at a grocery store. The work can also be a little bit tedious at times, with a lack of variety at times.

It could always be worse.

Former Employee - Cashier in New Carrollton, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in New Carrollton, MD

I worked at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working here because the people we were great and I enjoyed the customers.

Cons

You get paid crap. The pay is terrible unless you've been there for years and years. With my store in particular you are made to know everything and be able to work every aspect with no pay increase.

Find a better way to give employee incentives and recalculate the rate to which employees and compensated.

Bad pay Awful Staff.

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice clean place to work at

Cons

Pay is low no advancement in staff
    Hours are very little
    Lazy Co workers
    Not very safe

Get better managers that actually give you hours

Assistant Bakery Lead

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Eldersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Eldersburg, MD

I worked at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Don't work here unless it's an in between job/ High School job/ Retirement extra income.

If you get a good group of people to work with, not just in your department but in the rest of the store, your time can seen well spent. That's the ONLY reason I stayed as long as I did (Nearly 5 years)

Cons

YOUR ENTIRE EXPERIENCE DEPENDS ON ONE THING! The Manager. If you're not in the "In-Crowd" with the Manager, good luck getting anything you ask for. I spent a half year with a humid freezer... snow-cone type ice falling from the ceiling and covering the frozen floor.... yeah... tons of fun.
    AND if you think you can "Just switch stores" ... you got that right. They'll send your ass 45mins to an hour away if there aren't any openings in the area. I've seen It happen more than a couple times.
    I never actually got my Full time status because of loop-holes in the employment contract, and Manager intervening so I would never meet those requirements. Ridiculous thing is, I COULDN'T not work 35+ hours a week. There would have only been half a Bakery left. So every couple of weeks I would have to go under 32 hours a week. Meanwhile we ACTUALLY got the help we needed when my hours got cut for the week. Help we could have used during those past few weeks I was working 35+ hours.... Imagine that!

Weed out the store managers who are giving your company a bad taste. If you KNOW a store manager is "known by the union"... get him out of your company! You don't need that! Shoppers could be such a GREAT place to not only work but expand and flourish in a career, IF the problem managers were let go. And maybe then, just maybe, the company wouldn't be going to hell in a hand basket, halfway to everyone being on the unemployment line.

Not the best company to work for.

Current Employee - Cashier in Dumfries, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Dumfries, VA

I have been working at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

it is a business that services people

Cons

everything i can possibly think of

The management team is all about themselves. They don't care for there employees.

Pubilc interaction

Former Employee - Cashier in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Waldorf, MD

I worked at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customer Service . Store well stocked

Cons

unsatisfied customers, expired food not removed from shelfs

None at this time

Interesting and widely approached. Disappointed by the Unions.

Current Employee - Cashier Supervisor in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier Supervisor in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible times, wide range of possibilities

Cons

Poor pay, due to strict union regulations.

Get rid of the unions. They have been really good to me, trying to give me as many hours as possible in order to raise my monthly pay, since they couldn't raise my hourly one. But there was always some jealous old employee ready to call the union representative and put you back in place.

mediocre and not a nice place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

nice operation can be better

Cons

no advance absolute for minorities

be honest

Good starter job. A big eye opener.

Current Employee - Cashier, Deli Clerk, Grocery, Bakery, Etc in Brooklyn Park, MD

I have been working at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can easily pick up hours because usually other people will call out. Usually you can ask management to get trained in other departments. They give you a 35-40 cent raise per year or depending on how many hours you work.

Cons

You will not get promoted to be a manager even if you're trained. They will work you like a dog by training you in different departments. If you work in deli department, good luck because it is a lot of work and they are picky! Depending on the store, you will get 1, 2, or no days off a week.

Stop cutting hours and expect us to still achieve our goals.

A long hard working back breaking job

Former Employee - Food Service Clerk in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Food Service Clerk in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Shoppers Food & Pharmacy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits if you can get full time, and good pay , overtime on sundays this is great and anything over 40 hours or over 8 hours in 1 day

Cons

have to work to hard and little hours if you don't get full time, too much work to do in one day, with very little assistance, and must be able to know how to do all aspects more or less of several departments, be willing to work all saturdays and most sundays

people should not be fired after they get hurt on the job just because they are not 100% after operations, should have options to have every other saturday off

Shoppers Food & Pharmacy Photos

Wisdom from Virgil, Shoppers Food Warehouse, Fairfax, VA (Photo thanks to Flickr user christielauryn All rights reserved.)
Cleaning supplies aisle, Shoppers Food Warehouse, middle of the night, Fairfax, VA (Photo thanks to Flickr user christielauryn All rights reserved.)
Cafe, Shoppers Food Warehouse, Fairfax, VA (Photo thanks to Flickr user christielauryn All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo