Shopping.com

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shopping.com CEO Gautam Thakar

Gautam Thakar

Great people and lots of exciting change at this place!

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Shopping.com

Pros- is part of big eBay and leverages eBay technology but has as well the advantages of a small company (about 120 people in SF)

- never a dull moment

- fun culture (new hire lunch, show&tell sessions, great parties, etc.)

Cons- lots of changes in management recently (hopefully for the better)

- new direction (distributed commerce) is promising but not yet 100% clear

Advice to Senior ManagementWork closer together with eBay technology folks and do not reinvent the wheel

This company is a stepping stone for people who want to move on to bigger and better things.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Shopping.com full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany is small and operates somewhat like a startup but is also part of eBay. You get all the benefits of working for a large tech company with the closeness of working with a small group of people.

ConsCompany culture doesn't really exists. All employees are expected to buy in to the plan or drink the koolaid. If not, they are basically forced out. There seems to be a different strategy every year on turning the company away from the dying Comparison Shopping space. Employees are asked to do "upward feedback" surveys periodically and it is supposedly anonymous, but I've heard management uses this to identify employees who are not "engaged" and quickly force them out.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture matters. You will not be able to recruit or keep talent if you do not focus on company culture. Benefits are simply not good enough to keep talented contributors so almost all move on to better things.

work and managerial politics

Software Engineer III (Current Employee)
Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Shopping.com full-time for more than a year

Prosbe very careful joining this company because.. the mangers here are very manipulative

Conswith the managers attitude it is hard to work in a place like this.

Advice to Senior Managementbe human follow your ebay values..

Smart people, Challenging problems to solve, Great work environment

I have been working at Shopping.com

ProsSurrounded by very smart and innovative people who thrive to do their best in building a world class product to server the customers. Team work, professionalism, winning spirit, and customer focus. innovative and latest technologies to work with.

ConsOffice location. Very challenging market space. You need to be ready to tackle tough technical problems. Time to market pressure.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your focus on solving tough consumer problems and in creating the most helpful shopping site. Would like to see more reviews, alerts and community activities on your site.

Great, small, high energy company

I have been working at Shopping.com

ProsSmall, energetic team that keeps it human, is honest and direct, lots of cool people. Recent customer focus is very motivating

ConsTough business context, lots of competition. Some employees not very engaged

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on the customer, take bigger risks and make sure all employees are on board

My 2c

I have been working at Shopping.com

ProsSmall place to make an impact and get recognized. Easy and friendly people, great bay view, fun place. Small teams size too.

ConsGoing through a turnaround, may see projects being re-prioritized often. Has seen lots of employee churn lately, many positions open.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the execution plan strictly and show results. Keep the act fast, run fast spirit alive and kicking well.

Shopping.com

Shopping.com (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shopping.com

ProsVery nice environment to work and lot of experienced people.

ConsLess growth after some time

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more confident

Move to eBay already!!

Seat Filler (Former Employee)

I worked at Shopping.com

Prosyou get a paycheck and some health benefits.
parking.
you aren't expected to work too hard, or put in too many hours. 10-5:30pm (6pm at the latest) with a 1 to 2 hour lunch if you feel like it.

Consthere are 2 many to list here, but a few are:

- Incompetent management who mostly care about people filling seats and "pretending" they're improving the business through short projects that try to improve NPS.

- All of their competitors have a much better business because their sites perform very fast. Shopping.com has set the benchmark for completely irrelevant searches that take forever to load.

- Even knowing this, management still can't listen to advice from engineers, only product managers... and in the end, these projects only fall short of a vastly pathetic goal.

- They waste their time identifying issues that really are non-issues, and at the same time, don't spend any time with the real issues - improving site architecture and performance.

- If you argue with your inexperienced (but promoted) manager, too much, he'll try to put you on a performance plan, all the while making excuses of what you did wrong, except, there's no real evidence...

- Management gets off on their own pep talks ... you should give a shout out to the eBay CEO who comes to do the cheer-leading and curse "f$ck" and "sh$t" during his speech!! very classy!!

- people who work hard and try to lead end up getting snuffed by insecure, jealous managers who can't even answer the question, "what do you do?" .. except to say "I have no idea".

Advice to Senior ManagementMove the company to eBay and get rid of those Shopping.com managers !!! get some new ones !!! Better yet, promote your senior engineers to be the managers!!!

Terrific Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Shopping.com

ProsShopping.com is a terrific place to work, in that the people are very friendly, intelligent, supportive, and hard-working, and know how to balance work and fun. I looked forward to coming to work each day and left happy. My co-workers were great, and I still keep in touch with several of them. Shopping.com hires terrific people who contribute to a positive, interactive, and driven culture.

The work was challenging and enjoyable, and I loved that everyone was passionate about what they were doing and how they were doing it.

Management is serious about fostering growth and success and nurturing each employee's professional interests. Expectations are high, but so is delivery, and managers work just as hard for their teams as they expect their teams to work for them.

Shopping.com has the "internet company culture," with many perks and organized social activities throughout the year. The office is full of personality, with an appealing, unique, and interesting environment.

Management is terrific about keeping employees in the loop about current events, company performance, plans for future developments, etc. The company really respects employees and makes it a priority to keep them in the loop and in the know. They don't keep people in the dark, and they respect, listen to, and value employee feedback.

ConsSenior management sometimes jumps to conclusions, based on their observations, rather than going directly to the source to get the facts. That can lead to actions being misinterpreted and conclusions that are based on speculation, rather than solid information.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than make assumptions, gather all of the facts and go directly to the source, to make sure the conclusions are accurate.

Lots of wheel spinning without much motion.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Shopping.com

ProsGenerally fun group of people. Occasionally interesting work when the right questions were being asked. Good work / life balance; the floor is empty by 6:30 every evening. The company, brand, and value proposition have the potential to be something great.

ConsShopping.com is in that awkward space where it's too big to be truly innovative but too small to have any material impact on eBay's numbers.

Everyone's busy but little gets done. The innovation-to-employee ratio was sub-standard. Too much time spent on PowerPoint slides vs. delivering value. Slow to embrace web 2.0 technologies or leveraging the community. Some of this sluggishness may have to do with the eBay mother ship. But if you want to be in a place that fosters and cherishes true innovation and risk taking, this is not the place.

Standards are low. Slow or declining growth was too easily accepted. No real sense of urgency. Blatant problems with the site were easily dismissed as "well, that's just how it is." Take a look at the giant home page image that doesn't click to any products.

Too much of the business model was reliant on keyword arbitrage. Very little organic traffic.

Also, when I was there, the business units were very dis-jointed and even slightly competitive. They might as well operated as different companies. Very little cross-team collaboration or understanding what others were working on.

Too much time was spent on post rationalization vs. moving forward created a somewhat defensive culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to find that right balance of delivering value to merchants while delighting consumers. Not an easy problem, clearly. It's always easy to say the normal platitudes: focus on fewer things; think long term; treat your people well, etc. But I would simply suggest you think about what you want to be when you grow up. Decide on certain values that are non negotiable and work towards those values. For example, if you say delighting consumers is a core value, then really live those values without compromise.

Worked for Shopping.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shopping.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shopping.com CEO Gautam Thakar. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Shopping.com employees.