Shopzilla

Shopzilla Reviews

Updated Feb 25, 2014

Shopzilla President William G. (Bill) Glass

William G. (Bill) Glass

Pros:
  • "Great perks, especially the free lunch, free drinks and good parties"
    in 31 reviews
  • "The usual that everybody says: Free lunches and snacks, Company events, Casual dress code,"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "We expected management and the project managers to know what we were working on"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The business model suffers a conflict of interest: clickthru rates (money) vs quality search results for the consumer"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Big Disappointment, Little Direction, Lots of Politics

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Shopzilla full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-People (not management)
-Free Food

Cons-They have us working on a bunch of stuff, with some new tech, but nothing ever seems to get done, and it is not clear how our projects make more money for the company.
-There are a few projects that they had us work on that were not designed right, so we had to re-do them 3 times - no one likes that. We expected management and the project managers to know what we were working on.
-When you look on the internet, you can see that our competition, including google shopping, is making progress but we are not.
-They brought in some new managers but the old managers are keeping hold of their turf because they are scared, so the 'right' projects do not happen, or they get given to the wrong people.
-It is very political for such a small company. Managers back stab other managers on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior Management-No one seems to know the direction of the company, and certainly not how to get to where we need to be.
-You need to get rid of any manager who has been there longer than 3 years.
-If you are a manager who has been there longer than five years, you need to resign - today - for the sake of the company and other employees. I do not think that any other company would hire them.
-The recent big wig managers that you hired do not seem to be focused on making the company better. I am not sure what they are doing - maybe setting the company up for sale. I am not sure, but it is not good. No one likes it.

Great place to work

I have been working at Shopzilla

ProsNice and clever people, good atmosphere, free lunch, great location, lots of opportunities for motivated people

Consa few processes, speed of execution can be slow,

Getting In On The Ground Floor

Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time for more than a year

Pros- Symphony acquisition is invigorating the company. They are investing in new businesses such as Aisle A, mobile, international expansion and RobotOatmeal.com. Big investments being made now will pay off in the future.
- Lots of opportunity to contribute if you want to. Fast-paced culture, so you need to be proactive. - Definitely seem to be willing to promote from within if you are adding value. Monthly email circulated noting all the promotions for the month.
- Weekly stand-up meetings with the CEO as well as quarterly company meetings where they review future business plans.
- Extremely leading edge technology in some areas of the business.

Cons- still some legacy employees who are disengaged. This is changing though and should not be a concern.
- company is not as well-known as it should be. Kind of a hidden gem, but it would be nice for the company to have a higher profile.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in new businesses
Sponsor or speak at tech conferences to raise our profile

Let's be clear, this is what private equity companies do

I worked at Shopzilla

ProsGreat employees whom work hard to achieve their goals

ConsPoor exec decisions
Behind the eight ball on innovation
Favoritism from Execs for chosen employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent with employees about plans for the company. With Symphony in place as a new parent company the goal is to drive down cost and ramp profits quickly so this company can be flipped. It's not about the employees or being a great place to work, it's about Symphony and the executive team cashing out.

Pathetic Engineering and IT

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWest los angeles location
Free lunch

ConsLots of Politics within executives, back stabbing each other at the expense of talented employees

Poor salary compared to the Market

Executives are FAKE

Engineering department is the worst of all. No vision at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Stellar Employee Driven Tech Company with Solid Growth In The Horizon

Director of Talent Acquisition (Current Employee)
West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time for less than a year

ProsWeekly company wide update meetings led by Bill Glass - CEO, daily catered lunches, flexible work schedules, data driven company, challenging work, work with talented employees, new leadership and innovative business incubation. Socially conscious leadership and employee base; we work hard, but also know how to celebrate the wins.

ConsThe commute in and out of the office is bad, but then again it's LA. The cubicled office space stifles collaboration between departments and individual employees, a redesign would make a world of difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating the core business and continue to incubate new businesses. Help employees embrace change as a springboard to growth and innovation. Re-design the space to create opportunities for spontaneous collaboration between departments and individual employees. Keep hiring talented people and solicit their ideas and perspective. Start broadcasting about all the great businesses and products that we developing to show that we really have a Hemi under the hood, not a 4 cylinder.

The office culture was amazing... then there was the communication from management....

Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Shopzilla full-time for less than a year

ProsOffice culture. Coworkers on the same level of professionalism as you. Free lunches and lots of boozy happy hours and social events. Location is pretty central. Decent pay. Terrific CEO!

ConsAWFUL communication from management. Very cliquey higher ups. Outdated business model. But honestly, the lack of communication and directives from the management overshadows everything else. Feel like most employees here are just doing it for a job versus any sort of passion.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelease a few people and retool efforts in certain departments.

Pay attention

Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Shopzilla for more than a year

ProsGreat core group, of the workers who actually care aka the workers and line managers not the executive team.
Social Responsibility they give back to the community
Great Parties
They provide a lunch time variety of lunch specials both hot, cold, and grab it and go and yes it is free as long as you sit at your desk like a worker bee. (nothing is really free, right?)
The other freebie's like fruit, water, soda's and coffee, and it is Starbucks is cool, and the best option really.

ConsPassive Aggressive culture
Leaders don't engage you they talk at you, they are a group of bulldozers and they all fight to be hero's.
There is absolutely no collaboration, at all caution to anyone who thinks they could come in at a leadership role and actually win/win.
Leaders plot and sabotage each other and talk badly behind one another everyone would have knifes sticking out their back like a funny Tim Burton animation movie or better yet beetle juice!
I'm still not sure what the purpose or the direction of the company is since the take over in July 2011? Is it to annoy the B2C shoppers with more pop up windows; so you click them away thinking they will magically disappear? Nope they come back like a bad habit, the more you click the more they make for being an agitator of your time and the tracing of your cookies, to the put they know everything about your spending habits and then some.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about your end goal and really be open and honest for a change, embrace your values on your web site. Remember leaders actions speaks volumes to your words which have time and time again given or equal to empty promises. Plus, if your goal is to sell say it and make sure people really know why they are coding for hours and hours on a project like a journeyman with a nail and hammer, what are "you" building the same architecture over and over the same legacy code. I wish you well.

Associate analyst

Associate Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time for less than a year

Pros-Extremely well-organized HR department
-Young, fun work environment
-At risk of sounding cliche, the executive team has a solid vision for the company's future
-Catered lunches
-VERY fun events

Cons-Departments rarely interact even when it would be mutually beneficial to do so
-Terrible traffic on Wed & Thurs.
-Cubicles

Advice to Senior ManagementThe overall office environment needs to be updated. White, dirty walls with tons of cubicles is not exactly ideal. Even painting the walls (any color but white) would be an improvement.

Great intern program

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Shopzilla as an intern for less than a year

Pros-friendly work environment
-delicious free catered food everyday and stocked coolers full of premium drinks
-learn an incredible amount about making web applications and the software development process
-get placed on engineering teams working directly on projects to be pushed to production and made live to potentially millions of daily users
-given your own office with personal computer and telephone
-very approachable colleagues and managers
-get to attend extremely fun company social events and outings

Cons-lack of adequate company documentation, as the intern program is relatively new

Worked for Shopzilla? Contribute to the Community!

Shopzilla Videos

Shopzilla – Why Work for Us?

Shopzilla, Inc. manages a premier portfolio of online shopping brands in the US and Europe, consisting of Bizrate, Beso, Shopzilla,TaDa, PrixMoinsCher, and SparDeinGeld. Shopzilla connects shoppers with over 100 million… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shopzilla reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shopzilla CEO William G. (Bill) Glass. All 76 reviews posted anonymously by Shopzilla employees.