Shopzilla

Updated Feb 3, 2014

Shopzilla President William G. (Bill) Glass

William G. (Bill) Glass

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Work in progress, but good people & great opportunities

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros1. Leadership development training for all managers; 2. Smart, fun coworkers; 3. Innovation is encouraged; 4. Interesting work; 5. Flexible schedules

Cons1. Leadership development training is ONLY offered to managers; 2. Training is very shoddy and documentation is either outdated or non-existent; 2. For a tech company, many processes and tools are very archaic; and lastly 3. While certainly not widespread, some employees in high-ranking roles are allowed (and even seemingly encouraged) to come in late, leave early, avoid responsibility, and basically do very little "work". This behavior sets a terrible example and causes bitterness and confusion for those involved.

Advice to Senior Management--INCREASE AWARENESS. Be aware that some employees in high-roles are taking advantage of the available flexible work options. These few individuals are causing productivity levels to drop, accountability to diminish, and overall morale to plummet.

--ORGANIZE TEAMS MORE LOGICALLY. Way too much energy spent on "who's under who", which causes undue confusion. Keep it logical and simple.

An overall disappointment

Account Management/Bus Dev (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood co-workers at the lower to mid levels, good location

ConsCompany direction changes almost quarterly, company wide layoffs at least once a year, revolving door at the executive level, very poor search results for the heart of the business, very reactionary business decisions instead of looking to innovate, low pay compared to industry standard, promotions are extremely hard to come by

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to move on

Great place to work, could use some improvements

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsRelaxed culture/environment, nice people (like a family), free lunches and cereal breakfast bar, flexible work schedule, low cost health benefits, amazing events/contests, casual dress attire.

Management in general is very open and friendly. Often times you forget they are your bosses or execs because they are very approachable and they'll listen to what you have to say. They are transparent about their business contrary to what some reviews say; they have short semi-weekly company-wide meetings to talk about company growth and innovations, which is informative and gives you an idea of what other teams are working on.

The engineering team is full of talented and dedicated people. We work as a team and most people won't hesitate to help another out.

ConsBusiness usually understands some of the technical things that need to be done even if it doesn't add immediate business values, but that is not to say that as engineers, we don't sometimes struggle to get our technical debt addressed. While some areas of our business are very innovative, well maintained and well documented, we also have other areas where we have to deal with some old legacy code and systems that are not so well documented that has to slowly be transitioned. It is all a matter of which team you are working with.

Another con is that, it seems teams do often change, making you switch gears. However, that is a sign of innovation since our company does change focuses. Despite the recent layoff, I still believe that the company will make their comeback as we are making improvements in different areas of the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Los Angeles, CA

ProsShopzilla is like a family. The people here make it a great place to work and the fun events make all of the hard work worthwhile.

ConsTeams are run lean - you may have to do more work than your peers at other companies, but it is worth it in the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those below you. Lead without being bossy and let the ideas flow.

A Comfortable Place to Work if You Don't Mind Standing Still in Your Career

Los Angeles, CA

ProsThere are free lunches and frequent team building events including an annual one-day outing for the company and a three-hour early release on Fridays in the summer. Most groups have flexible work hours that fit around the personal needs of the workers. Benefits are good including low cost health care.

ConsThe best positions are given to new employees who don't stay long. A job here is better for someone early in their career as a stepping stone to something more challenging. Groups with long term projects reward their members much more highly than groups with many short term tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more responsibility and allow workers to take on more responsibilities, learn new skills, and advance.

Big Disappointment, Little Direction, Lots of Politics

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros-People (not management)
    -Free Food

Cons-They have us working on a bunch of stuff, with some new tech, but nothing ever seems to get done, and it is not clear how our projects make more money for the company.
    -There are a few projects that they had us work on that were not designed right, so we had to re-do them 3 times - no one likes that. We expected management and the project managers to know what we were working on.
    -When you look on the internet, you can see that our competition, including google shopping, is making progress but we are not.
    -They brought in some new managers but the old managers are keeping hold of their turf because they are scared, so the 'right' projects do not happen, or they get given to the wrong people.
    -It is very political for such a small company. Managers back stab other managers on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior Management-No one seems to know the direction of the company, and certainly not how to get to where we need to be.
    -You need to get rid of any manager who has been there longer than 3 years.
    -If you are a manager who has been there longer than five years, you need to resign - today - for the sake of the company and other employees. I do not think that any other company would hire them.
    -The recent big wig managers that you hired do not seem to be focused on making the company better. I am not sure what they are doing - maybe setting the company up for sale. I am not sure, but it is not good. No one likes it.

Great people, great perks

Intern (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe employee perks are great! Free lunches and there's basically free food and drinks all the time. Lots of company sponsored events. People are most friendly and very smart and capable. Hours are very reasonable and flexible too.

ConsThe comparison shopping engine business model is on the decline, but the company is trying many things to reinvent itself, and I believe they will succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrengthen the mobile platform!

Getting In On The Ground Floor

(Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

Pros- Symphony acquisition is invigorating the company. They are investing in new businesses such as Aisle A, mobile, international expansion and RobotOatmeal.com. Big investments being made now will pay off in the future.
    - Lots of opportunity to contribute if you want to. Fast-paced culture, so you need to be proactive. - Definitely seem to be willing to promote from within if you are adding value. Monthly email circulated noting all the promotions for the month.
    - Weekly stand-up meetings with the CEO as well as quarterly company meetings where they review future business plans.
    - Extremely leading edge technology in some areas of the business.

Cons- still some legacy employees who are disengaged. This is changing though and should not be a concern.
    - company is not as well-known as it should be. Kind of a hidden gem, but it would be nice for the company to have a higher profile.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in new businesses
    Sponsor or speak at tech conferences to raise our profile

Pathetic Engineering and IT

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsWest los angeles location
    Free lunch

ConsLots of Politics within executives, back stabbing each other at the expense of talented employees

Poor salary compared to the Market

Executives are FAKE

Engineering department is the worst of all. No vision at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Stellar Employee Driven Tech Company with Solid Growth In The Horizon

Director of Talent Acquisition (Current Employee)
    West Los Angeles, CA

ProsWeekly company wide update meetings led by Bill Glass - CEO, daily catered lunches, flexible work schedules, data driven company, challenging work, work with talented employees, new leadership and innovative business incubation. Socially conscious leadership and employee base; we work hard, but also know how to celebrate the wins.

ConsThe commute in and out of the office is bad, but then again it's LA. The cubicled office space stifles collaboration between departments and individual employees, a redesign would make a world of difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating the core business and continue to incubate new businesses. Help employees embrace change as a springboard to growth and innovation. Re-design the space to create opportunities for spontaneous collaboration between departments and individual employees. Keep hiring talented people and solicit their ideas and perspective. Start broadcasting about all the great businesses and products that we developing to show that we really have a Hemi under the hood, not a 4 cylinder.

Worked for Shopzilla? Contribute to the Community!

Shopzilla Videos

Shopzilla – Why Work for Us?

Shopzilla, Inc. manages a premier portfolio of online shopping brands in the US and Europe, consisting of Bizrate, Beso, Shopzilla,TaDa, PrixMoinsCher, and SparDeinGeld. Shopzilla connects shoppers with over 100 million… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shopzilla reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shopzilla CEO William G. (Bill) Glass. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Shopzilla employees.