Shopzilla

Shopzilla Reviews

Updated Feb 25, 2014

Shopzilla President William G. (Bill) Glass

William G. (Bill) Glass

Pros:
  • "Free lunch, lots of company sponsored events"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Casual dress code, free lunch & snacks"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Look carefully at your directors and the project managers"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The business model suffers a conflict of interest: clickthru rates (money) vs quality search results for the consumer"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ok work culture with typical perks of a tech company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Shopzilla full-time

ProsThere are free lunches daily and you get to work with smart people. There are also some company events throughout the year.

ConsMostly men in leadership roles. This can provide a challenge. There isn't much of a work life balance.

Work in progress, but good people & great opportunities

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time for more than a year

Pros1. Leadership development training for all managers; 2. Smart, fun coworkers; 3. Innovation is encouraged; 4. Interesting work; 5. Flexible schedules

Cons1. Leadership development training is ONLY offered to managers; 2. Training is very shoddy and documentation is either outdated or non-existent; 2. For a tech company, many processes and tools are very archaic; and lastly 3. While certainly not widespread, some employees in high-ranking roles are allowed (and even seemingly encouraged) to come in late, leave early, avoid responsibility, and basically do very little "work". This behavior sets a terrible example and causes bitterness and confusion for those involved.

Advice to Senior Management--INCREASE AWARENESS. Be aware that some employees in high-roles are taking advantage of the available flexible work options. These few individuals are causing productivity levels to drop, accountability to diminish, and overall morale to plummet.

--ORGANIZE TEAMS MORE LOGICALLY. Way too much energy spent on "who's under who", which causes undue confusion. Keep it logical and simple.

Only take a job here if you enjoy the suspense of layoffs every 6 months.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Shopzilla

ProsFree lunch, snacks and drinks. Good parties. Subsidized gym membership. Some people can be cool. Good location in West LA.

ConsLayoffs every 6 months. Company changes direction too often for employees to keep up. (those that they keep anyway) Below market value salaries. The most incompetent employees are the ones who get promoted most.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop posting jobs on the days you lay off employees. That's just inconsiderate.

Maybe you should consider reducing some of the unnecessary perks in order to keep some of your employee headcount intact. The free food and parties are nice, but I'm sure most of the employees would vote that they keep some co-workers in exchange of food.

An overall disappointment

Account Management/Bus Dev (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood co-workers at the lower to mid levels, good location

ConsCompany direction changes almost quarterly, company wide layoffs at least once a year, revolving door at the executive level, very poor search results for the heart of the business, very reactionary business decisions instead of looking to innovate, low pay compared to industry standard, promotions are extremely hard to come by

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to move on

Great place to work, could use some improvements

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time for more than a year

ProsRelaxed culture/environment, nice people (like a family), free lunches and cereal breakfast bar, flexible work schedule, low cost health benefits, amazing events/contests, casual dress attire.

Management in general is very open and friendly. Often times you forget they are your bosses or execs because they are very approachable and they'll listen to what you have to say. They are transparent about their business contrary to what some reviews say; they have short semi-weekly company-wide meetings to talk about company growth and innovations, which is informative and gives you an idea of what other teams are working on.

The engineering team is full of talented and dedicated people. We work as a team and most people won't hesitate to help another out.

ConsBusiness usually understands some of the technical things that need to be done even if it doesn't add immediate business values, but that is not to say that as engineers, we don't sometimes struggle to get our technical debt addressed. While some areas of our business are very innovative, well maintained and well documented, we also have other areas where we have to deal with some old legacy code and systems that are not so well documented that has to slowly be transitioned. It is all a matter of which team you are working with.

Another con is that, it seems teams do often change, making you switch gears. However, that is a sign of innovation since our company does change focuses. Despite the recent layoff, I still believe that the company will make their comeback as we are making improvements in different areas of the company.

Started out very good, and ended with a down-sizing

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Shopzilla full-time

ProsFree breakfasts, lunches, and good benefits. Lots of social events to participate in. Shopzilla has a good reputation in the software industry for producing excellent software engineers. Fast paced, energetic can-do folks who practice the latest best software development principles.

ConsExecutives are not transparent about the company health in their business meetings so that layoffs catch the affected off guard. Since Symphony bought the company, a number of the old-time execs left the company. Symphony promised to overhaul and propel the company into a leader of the comparison shopping space, but performance did not meet expectations and downsizing was probably inevitable. The business model suffers a conflict of interest: clickthru rates (money) vs quality search results for the consumer. Google changes have also reduced organic traffic, and the poor economy also contributed to the company stress.
I don't see a good prognosis for the future. I expect employees who do not want to experience a layoff to search for alternative employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe job market for software engineers is still hot despite the ecomomy, so, if you can afford to retain the people you have, do your best. Laying off folks will lead to bad reviews. It really must be a last resort. Good luck keeping the morale up.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time

ProsShopzilla is like a family. The people here make it a great place to work and the fun events make all of the hard work worthwhile.

ConsTeams are run lean - you may have to do more work than your peers at other companies, but it is worth it in the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those below you. Lead without being bossy and let the ideas flow.

A Comfortable Place to Work if You Don't Mind Standing Still in Your Career

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time

ProsThere are free lunches and frequent team building events including an annual one-day outing for the company and a three-hour early release on Fridays in the summer. Most groups have flexible work hours that fit around the personal needs of the workers. Benefits are good including low cost health care.

ConsThe best positions are given to new employees who don't stay long. A job here is better for someone early in their career as a stepping stone to something more challenging. Groups with long term projects reward their members much more highly than groups with many short term tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more responsibility and allow workers to take on more responsibilities, learn new skills, and advance.

An amazing place to work!

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are great. I enjoy coming to work everyday and collaborating with such bright, capable people.
The perks are fantastic. Free lunch, lots of company sponsored events. They are super generous with contests and prizes. They give amazing gifts to tenured employees (5,7,10 and yes, there are zillans that have been here over 13 years! I think that says a lot.)
The leadership team is friendly and easy to talk to. Our CEO is terrific. He really cares about the team.

ConsOutdated space at the moment but am aware the company has plans to make it more hip and collaborative.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening. Be transparent. Don't get wrapped up in cliquish behavior.

Great people, great perks

Intern (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Shopzilla as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe employee perks are great! Free lunches and there's basically free food and drinks all the time. Lots of company sponsored events. People are most friendly and very smart and capable. Hours are very reasonable and flexible too.

ConsThe comparison shopping engine business model is on the decline, but the company is trying many things to reinvent itself, and I believe they will succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrengthen the mobile platform!

Worked for Shopzilla? Contribute to the Community!

Shopzilla Videos

Shopzilla – Why Work for Us?

Shopzilla, Inc. manages a premier portfolio of online shopping brands in the US and Europe, consisting of Bizrate, Beso, Shopzilla,TaDa, PrixMoinsCher, and SparDeinGeld. Shopzilla connects shoppers with over 100 million… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shopzilla reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shopzilla CEO William G. (Bill) Glass. All 76 reviews posted anonymously by Shopzilla employees.