Shopzilla Reviews

91 reviews filtered by

An overall disappointment

Current Employee - Account Management/Bus Dev in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Management/Bus Dev in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers at the lower to mid levels, good location

Cons

Company direction changes almost quarterly, company wide layoffs at least once a year, revolving door at the executive level, very poor search results for the heart of the business, very reactionary business decisions instead of looking to innovate, low pay compared to industry standard, promotions are extremely hard to come by

Time to move on

2. Great place to work, could use some improvements

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relaxed culture/environment, nice people (like a family), free lunches and cereal breakfast bar, flexible work schedule, low cost health benefits, amazing events/contests, casual dress attire.

Management in general is very open and friendly. Often times you forget they are your bosses or execs because they are very approachable and they'll listen to what you have to say. They are transparent about their business contrary to what some reviews say; they have short semi-weekly company-wide meetings to talk about company growth and innovations, which is informative and gives you an idea of what other teams are working on.

The engineering team is full of talented and dedicated people. We work as a team and most people won't hesitate to help another out.

Cons

Business usually understands some of the technical things that need to be done even if it doesn't add immediate business values, but that is not to say that as engineers, we don't sometimes struggle to get our technical debt addressed. While some areas of our business are very innovative, well maintained and well documented, we also have other areas where we have to deal with some old legacy code and systems that are not so well documented that has to slowly be transitioned. It is all a matter of which team you are working with.

Another con is that, it seems teams do often change, making you switch gears. However, that is a sign of innovation since our company does change focuses. Despite the recent layoff, I still believe that the company will make their comeback as we are making improvements in different areas of the company.

Started out very good, and ended with a down-sizing

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Shopzilla full-time

Pros

Free breakfasts, lunches, and good benefits. Lots of social events to participate in. Shopzilla has a good reputation in the software industry for producing excellent software engineers. Fast paced, energetic can-do folks who practice the latest best software development principles.

Cons

Executives are not transparent about the company health in their business meetings so that layoffs catch the affected off guard. Since Symphony bought the company, a number of the old-time execs left the company. Symphony promised to overhaul and propel the company into a leader of the comparison shopping space, but performance did not meet expectations and downsizing was probably inevitable. The business model suffers a conflict of interest: clickthru rates (money) vs quality search results for the consumer. Google changes have also reduced organic traffic, and the poor economy also contributed to the company stress.
    I don't see a good prognosis for the future. I expect employees who do not want to experience a layoff to search for alternative employment.

The job market for software engineers is still hot despite the ecomomy, so, if you can afford to retain the people you have, do your best. Laying off folks will lead to bad reviews. It really must be a last resort. Good luck keeping the morale up.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time

Pros

Shopzilla is like a family. The people here make it a great place to work and the fun events make all of the hard work worthwhile.

Cons

Teams are run lean - you may have to do more work than your peers at other companies, but it is worth it in the end.

Listen to those below you. Lead without being bossy and let the ideas flow.

6. A Comfortable Place to Work if You Don't Mind Standing Still in Your Career

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time

Pros

There are free lunches and frequent team building events including an annual one-day outing for the company and a three-hour early release on Fridays in the summer. Most groups have flexible work hours that fit around the personal needs of the workers. Benefits are good including low cost health care.

Cons

The best positions are given to new employees who don't stay long. A job here is better for someone early in their career as a stepping stone to something more challenging. Groups with long term projects reward their members much more highly than groups with many short term tasks.

Share more responsibility and allow workers to take on more responsibilities, learn new skills, and advance.

An amazing place to work!

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great. I enjoy coming to work everyday and collaborating with such bright, capable people.
    The perks are fantastic. Free lunch, lots of company sponsored events. They are super generous with contests and prizes. They give amazing gifts to tenured employees (5,7,10 and yes, there are zillans that have been here over 13 years! I think that says a lot.)
    The leadership team is friendly and easy to talk to. Our CEO is terrific. He really cares about the team.

Cons

Outdated space at the moment but am aware the company has plans to make it more hip and collaborative.

Keep listening. Be transparent. Don't get wrapped up in cliquish behavior.

Great people, great perks

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Shopzilla as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The employee perks are great! Free lunches and there's basically free food and drinks all the time. Lots of company sponsored events. People are most friendly and very smart and capable. Hours are very reasonable and flexible too.

Cons

The comparison shopping engine business model is on the decline, but the company is trying many things to reinvent itself, and I believe they will succeed.

Strengthen the mobile platform!

Big Disappointment, Little Direction, Lots of Politics

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Shopzilla full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-People (not management)
    -Free Food

Cons

-They have us working on a bunch of stuff, with some new tech, but nothing ever seems to get done, and it is not clear how our projects make more money for the company.
    -There are a few projects that they had us work on that were not designed right, so we had to re-do them 3 times - no one likes that. We expected management and the project managers to know what we were working on.
    -When you look on the internet, you can see that our competition, including google shopping, is making progress but we are not.
    -They brought in some new managers but the old managers are keeping hold of their turf because they are scared, so the 'right' projects do not happen, or they get given to the wrong people.
    -It is very political for such a small company. Managers back stab other managers on a daily basis.

-No one seems to know the direction of the company, and certainly not how to get to where we need to be.
    -You need to get rid of any manager who has been there longer than 3 years.
    -If you are a manager who has been there longer than five years, you need to resign - today - for the sake of the company and other employees. I do not think that any other company would hire them.
    -The recent big wig managers that you hired do not seem to be focused on making the company better. I am not sure what they are doing - maybe setting the company up for sale. I am not sure, but it is not good. No one likes it.

Great place to work

I have been working at Shopzilla

Pros

Nice and clever people, good atmosphere, free lunch, great location, lots of opportunities for motivated people

Cons

a few processes, speed of execution can be slow,

Getting In On The Ground Floor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Shopzilla full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Symphony acquisition is invigorating the company. They are investing in new businesses such as Aisle A, mobile, international expansion and RobotOatmeal.com. Big investments being made now will pay off in the future.
    - Lots of opportunity to contribute if you want to. Fast-paced culture, so you need to be proactive. - Definitely seem to be willing to promote from within if you are adding value. Monthly email circulated noting all the promotions for the month.
    - Weekly stand-up meetings with the CEO as well as quarterly company meetings where they review future business plans.
    - Extremely leading edge technology in some areas of the business.

Cons

- still some legacy employees who are disengaged. This is changing though and should not be a concern.
    - company is not as well-known as it should be. Kind of a hidden gem, but it would be nice for the company to have a higher profile.

Keep investing in new businesses
    Sponsor or speak at tech conferences to raise our profile