ShoreTel

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Don Joos

Pros:
  • "In addition, the employees who work here are incredibly talented and great people"
    in 6 reviews
  • "As mentioned the free drinks and bagels/donuts on Friday are a nice perk"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management is horrible, most have worked with the CEO previously"
    in 5 reviews
  • "revolving door with upper management and knee jerk decision making"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

World-Class onboarding experience

Rochester, NY

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time for less than a year

ProsTeam work and collaboration at it's best. Everyone is a raving fan of the company!

ConsI haven't found any yet!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance is prominent and the office culture is the best I have ever seen.

Meh. Just another cloud based VoIP company

I worked at ShoreTel full-time for more than a year

ProsPay, time off, health care

ConsNo real upper movement, Social cliques run this whole company

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

A little Chaotic

Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time

ProsShoreTel is a company that takes on many engineering projects simultaneously. As an engineer, you have the opportunity to work in many areas and on many projects. Never ever Boring here.

ConsThe pay scale is terrible. Compensation is not competitive with many of the other valley companies. Since you can only hope to get a 2-3% increase every 2 years, it is diminishing returns financially. Unfortunately it can become a financial burden to work here since your pay does not scale appropriately year over years to keep up with the valley.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess Chaos, Stick to the plans you created and empower middle management. There wouldn't be a 14% quarter over quarter voluntary attrition rate if the pay and benefits were scaled correctly.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Average company, friendly people, bad product(s)

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at ShoreTel full-time for more than a year

ProsTraining and opportunities to learn in a fast paced environment.

ConsOffice culture is great with friendly people. Hardwork is rewarded. Compensation varies based on city. In Rochester, too much work for too less compensation.
Personal growth average.

No focus

I worked at ShoreTel

ProsGreat people. Solid channel for distribution. Flexibility.

ConsManagement turnover - it's a revolving door.
Strategy du jour - can't stick with a strategy to save themselves.
Huge lack of cross-department teamwork.

ShoreTel is going to have a hard time being a UCaaS leader

New York, NY

I worked at ShoreTel full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a lot of potential for ShoreTel in the UCaaS industry if they invest not only from a technical perspective but also in senior management that understands the cloud. ShoreTel acquired M5 Networks 2 years ago and it was a strategic move as they had no experience in this industry but they knew in order to not only survive but be a leader in the marketplace they needed this acquisition. I will speak about what happened since in the "Cons" section. The benefits offering is good. The culture is pretty good for a company of this size.

ConsSince the acquisition of M5, the Company has stated they wanted to invest in the "cloud" because that was the future. Other than opening a more reliable data center, they have done nothing to enhance the true offering. There is not one person on the executive team that has any cloud experience. They have squandered the opportunity to become UCaaS leader. It will show itself in the stock price for sure. Because of the disconnect between the offices, they have managed to rid themselves of the brain trust that is their future--they moved out all the people that made M5 a successful growing company and that will manifest it self shortly in the form of a lowered stock price.

Advice to Senior ManagementShoreTel needs cloud leadership if it is to compete. Don Joos, CEO is only a short term solution to the success of ShoreTel. He is not a visionary and it shows.

Very supportive

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time for more than a year

ProsVery supportive of its employees
Training and learning
Rapid promotions

ConsTime consuming work, a lot of time away from family

Advice to Senior ManagementNone they do a great jib

ShoreTel is by far the worst company I have ever worked for!

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at ShoreTel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsColleagues were great to work with, free drinks, and good health benefits

ConsSalary is not aligned with workload therefore salary employees are severely taken advantage of! It is almost impossible to receive a pay raise and they currently have some (not all) very unprofessional direct managers, along with an inconsistent, unprofessional HR Dept. The career growth is a joke, although they claim to make it a priority to see their employees advance! The leadership teams/VPs to not seem to understand how their own departments operate on a day to day basis. The current CEO strives on the attrition rate however at this point I see that falling yet again in the near future for there are way too many great employees overlooked and who continue to feel unappreciated for their hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay close attention to the individual workloads and day to day operations/duties within your department.

TAC Manager

TAC Manager (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at ShoreTel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt was a Great Team and the People were top notch.
The Challenging Work was rewarding to do.

ConsThere was little to no Employee focus. Surveys would be taken but no action would ever result.
The Poor Pay Structure left people with vastly varied compensation packages that were not related to skill set or productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on your employees, they are the talent of the company.

People are awesome but higher management not good.

I worked at ShoreTel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople I work with are really good.
New CEO also good.

ConsIn last so call reorganization company layoff many good people which are expert in there area.
also last couple of area company only hiring VP ,Director and all executives level position but as per me company need to more engineer and executives.
Over all HR is good but immigration process is very slow . Last few years many people complained about that but still this problem not fix.

Advice to Senior ManagementI trust in new CEO. He is very good leader ,,,

Worked for ShoreTel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ShoreTel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ShoreTel CEO Don Joos . All 70 reviews posted anonymously by ShoreTel employees.