Shorter University

2.9

CEO

I am a Professor at Shorter University

I have been working at Shorter University

Pros

I enjoy working in a Christian environment.

Cons

The pay terms/date are to far in the future. You are paid after the class is completed.

I have a great management team at Shorter University.

Overworked, underpaid, underappreciated

I worked at Shorter University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Used to be a good group of people to toil beside. There are no pros anymore.

Cons

Office culture is all about religion and running the business into the ground. Incompetence abounds from ground up to administration and it shows. Administrative leadership is paid well to run the business into the ground with a moronic board of trustees that rubberstamps anything done by administration. Staff are paid very poorly and are constantly being subjected to prayer meetings and being preached to about their lifestyle. If you do a good job, you'll be rewarded by more and more work until you finally break and leave. This used to be a fairly decent place to work, but in the past 2 years, it has truly become a cesspool.

Get out of the education field and go back to preaching.

Campus is gorgeous

Former Employee - Academic Advisor  in  Rome, GA
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Rome, GA

I worked at Shorter University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Students are a joy to work with
    Flexibility in faculty/staff schedule to help employees
    Most professionals there have a spirit of excellent

Cons

Many clicks and if you are new - it's hard to penetrate that social circle. Some of the staff/faculty w/seniority do not go out of their way to make new staff feel a part of the team - especially after the first 30 days.

Come up with a vision that emphasizes inclusion and diversity. Stress it - market it all over the campus. Encourage senior staff to get on board or move on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Shorter University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Christian environment. Very laid back atmosphere.

Cons

You have to work 10 hour days, which can be a lot at times.

Great coworkers, lousy benefits, lousy pay, poor business management

I have been working at Shorter University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Coworkers (at least in the Atlanta adult program) are like family. Work is fast paced and interesting in the adult program.

Cons

Benefits and pay are very poor (and lower in the adult program in Atlanta than in the main programs in Rome). Poor communication from new administration in Rome. They love to play 'gotcha' with new directives that are even sometimes contradictory. New administration appoints people from their old workplaces without regard to how well the person will fit the new position. Enrollment is half what it was one and a half years ago. Personnel must sign personal lifestyle statements regarding church attendance, loyalty, drug and alcohol use and homosexuality.

move into 2013 from the 1950s. Go to business management classes to learn how to make good business decisions based on logic and company needs (financial, educational, etc.). COMMUNICATE and research before and after you make decisions.

Used to be an ok place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rome, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome, GA

I worked at Shorter University

Pros

The best part of working at Shorter was the people. Most of my fellow employees were a pleasant to work with everyday. They were kind and supportive.

Cons

Management and pay at Shorter is why I left. Very few people make it higher than the $35,000+ range. No raises were given from 2005-present. Pay actually had to be cut by 3% for people who made $30,000 or more. Management has taken a nose dive in the last year. I've know directors who have abused and lied to their employees. The new president and board of trustees have enacted a Personal Lifestyle Statement that goes against the personal beliefs of many of the faculty and staff causing them to resign.

Drop the personal lifestyle statement and stop favoritism. It hurts your employees when that know that they work over forty hours a week only to see no reward for it. People should not be given jobs because their family members are an authoritative position.

Worked for Shorter University? Contribute to the Community!