Shoutlet

Bitter or Fake Reviews - Excellent Company and Work Environment

Current Employee - Account Director in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Account Director in Madison, WI

I have been working at Shoutlet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For starters, the people that work here are the biggest pro. I couldn't of been blessed with a better group of people to work with. 2014 was a challenging year but we worked very hard to get things to where they are today.

The product team moves very quickly. Excellent to have their support in getting customers what it is that they need.

Not only the sales people sell. I have never seen a group of product folks more then happy to go and meet with a prospect. Literally everyone who can help will help.

The executive team travels. They are constantly in the mix, meeting prospects or visiting customers. It's awesome to see their support across all aspects of the company.

There are no "rounds" of layoffs, if you didn't pull your weight you were let go.

Cons

The weather in Madison is brutal sometimes.

You've made your changes and now it is time to execute. You are in a great position to take over this market in 2015. When my friend pointed me to this site I was really quite saddened. In my 2+ years at Shoutlet I have never saw or felt anything that the previous reviewers had mentioned. In fact going through them more, it's easy to see that they are fakes likely written by competitors.

I will miss all you,, good luck for 2015

Great business experience - but not without its challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Shoutlet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Really good, hard-working and smart people who are trying to make a difference in a company and an industry, and truly believe in what we are doing. Meaningful work.
    -Leadership has a great vision and clear plan of where the company is going over the next 3 years - it's just a matter of executing it well.
    -A crazy, fast-moving industry that means you are never bored with work (and I mean never).
    -Continued growth fiscally, year over year, and consistently ranking in the top 3 vendors of the space
    -Opportunity to work with lots of different departments and different people, gaining valuable experience.
    -Tackling business challenges that have given me invaluable experience for my career.
    -Ability to pave your own way, and make the most of my work (what you put in is what you'll get out of it).
    -Ability to be open and honest with supervisors or management with challenges and frustrations - key is to come with your own recommendations for solutions (one of our core values: resourcefulness).
    -Awesome insurance, self-rewarding PTO (unlimited), and other small perks including cereal bar & milk, daily fruit, soda machine, coffee machine, and casual dress. Silicon Valley perks right here in the Midwest.

Cons

-As we've grown, there have been some hires that on hindsight, were not good fits for the company, and have caused some challenges internally.
    -Change management and employee engagement hasn't been as smooth as it could be, a challenge that comes with growing from a team of 30 to 150.
    -We are top heavy - but have some great experience that has joined the team who wants Shoutlet to succeed.
    -Internal communication can be inconsistent at times, and something that management is working on.

-Keep up the tough job of leading a company in a constantly changing space.
    -Good intentions can only go so far - start implementing communications and programs on a regular basis that show employees the lengths you are taking to see that Shoutlet succeeds.
    -Identify the uncertainties that employees are experiencing and communicate what you are doing to address these uncertainties.
    -Remember that this company runs on the hard work of lots of people - increase employee recognition, and maybe just casually talk to those people - it would mean a lot.
    -Value employee education and encourage continued learning.
    -State a clear company mission to everyone, and live it everyday, being consistent with the message.
    -Revisit our core values - and try and live them everyday. If our core values come from upper management, that will trickle down like wildfire throughout the entire company.

Smartest group I've ever worked with

I have been working at Shoutlet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most intelegent team I have ever worked with. The market for social has expanded rapidly into the enterprise market. It seems like they are bringing in more seniored individuals to deal with the strategic accounts. The partners we have give us major leverage walking into bigger deals.

Cons

Volital space that is changing rapidly. You need to be pretty bright to keep up with the evoliton of the product, services, and market.

Glad they brought in the big wigs at the top. Guys that have built and sold monster organizations.

It's a trap!

I worked at Shoutlet

Pros

Smart, hard-working staff who genuinely want the best for Shoutlet.

Cons

If you are considering becoming part of the Shoutlet team, I encourage you to ask the following questions in order to get a true picture of your future with the company.

* When wast the last time Shoutlet met its sales goals?
    * When the next round of layoffs happen, how will you decide who goes?
    * Why is your executive leadership predominately white and male (all but one)?
    * Please explain why almost 60% of your company left through layoffs or attrition in 2014?
    * What does growing pains mean exactly?
    * Are your customers happy? Be sure to follow up with - Why is it someone’s full time job to come in after the sale to apologize for why things don’t work as expected?
    * Please provide a specific example of employee growth. How about two specific examples?
    * How would your employees describe alignment between departments?
    * How many different strategies has the company had under the new CEO?
    * If I'm hired to support a strategic initiative, and that initiative fails, will I be fired?
    * Tell me more about the social media marketing expertise on staff.
    * Please describe a specific example of how any of the core values are practiced. Hint: Start with “transparency”. Or better yet "failure".
    * Please describe your process for innovation? Would you consider your approach reactive or proactive?

Good luck!

Shoutlet use to be great...until new management came in

I have been working at Shoutlet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

uhhhhh...there are none? You get free sugar cereal and coffee to fuel the 12+ hours you're expected to work?

Wait -- there is one pro, your fellow "worker bees" will be some of the most intelligent and passionate people you will ever meet in your life. I've created life-long friendships here. Misery loves company and we've banded together in the loathing of this place.

Cons

Cons. How much time do you have?

- "Management." It's so god-awful that I really don't even know where to start. The CEO was brought in not knowing anything about the social space and using it even less (really, check his Twitter account). I can't say that he knows much more now than he did a year ago and that pains me because most of us live and breathe social. It's why we're here. It's why we believe(d) in this company.
    - Countless rounds of lay-offs dubbed as 'growing pains.' Don't they know it's an insult to saying you're growing (which we are not) and need to trim the fat but all we see are smart, hard-working people that do good work being tossed out like yesterday's old bagels? The only way to escape the guillotine of lay-offs is to play the political game, which brings me to...
    - Favoritism. It runs rampant and management doesn't even try to hide it.
    - Senseless hires. Oh hey, you worked with the CEO 20 years ago and know nothing about social? YOU'RE HIRED. And you're a SVP. Here's a boatload of cash and some bourbon!
    - The product is failing. Miserably. It most certainly is not where it should be or even what is being sold to customers. I'm sure every company in this space makes themselves look better than there are to close a deal, but we are out-right lying to people. And then the poor product and dev teams are left to sort it out and make miracles happen. That 'strategy' isn't sustainable and you're losing more and more valuable people because of it.
    - Stop trying to coerce current and former employees to write positive Glassdoor reviews. The desperation to keep this facade going isn't fooling anyone. In fact, those recent positive reviews? They aren't as anonymous as you think they are. We all know who is writing them!

Well for starters, respect your employees. They are the ones doing the work. Each and every one of them is valuable and were hired for a reason. Stop sacrificing them in order to save yourselves and your bloated paychecks. Stop making more hires that increase Shoutlet's top-heaviness. And, instead of spending all of your time looking at how competitors are failing, look at how Shoutlet is failing and actually come to an agreement on what to do about it and how to do it in a way that doesn't make your employees want slit their wrists.

Promising at first, but it took a turn for the worst

I worked at Shoutlet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Learn to stay on your toes in the ever-changing world of social media
    - Gain an understanding of the inner-workings of a tech start-up
    - Casual dress code, good coffee, free sparkling water
    - Intelligent and fun colleagues
    - Good healthcare benefits

Cons

- Don't be fooled by the perks that are touted during your interview, there's a catch. If you take part, you give the appearance you're not working hard enough.
    - Most employees come into work each day wondering when the other shoe is going to drop based on the frequent rounds of layoffs and their coworkers resigning on a nearly weekly basis now.
    - Management has become a boys club with inappropriate workplace behavior
    - Employees don't feel valued or secure in their job as the culture is on a rapid decline
    - Big talk about vision and nothing to show for it

- I get that you're a tech start-up and you have to make some tough financial decisions, but you've got a very intelligent and hard working group of employees, so show them that you value them in actions, not just words or you're going to lose them too.
    - Consider input from employees for the company roadmap, especially the ones that have stuck it out since the beginning.
    - Stop excusing inappropriate workplace behavior from management. It still continues, even with new management that the CEO brings in (his buddies). People are uncomfortable and you should have zero tolerance for what has become a hostile environment for some.
    - Stop taking on enterprise clients that require so much custom work they derail the product roadmap.
    - Live up to your values, or do away with them. Take ownership for the state of the company, actually be transparent and come together as a whole to turn it around.
    - Shoutlet is a great product with a smart team behind it and has a lot of potential to be a successful company all-around. It's going to take a lot of hard work to rebuild and require management to change their course of action, but it is possible.

Don't do this to yourself, you deserve better than this

I worked at Shoutlet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- The insurance is pretty great, the cereal bar is awesome, flex PTO is a great way for the company to avoid paying out when they eventually lay you off.
    - You will probably have fun with your co-workers, but mostly because they will be as miserable as you and it's a great bonding method (they were the single reason that leaving was hard for me)

Cons

Goodness, where to start?
    - little to no room for growth
    - completely unstable -> ~10% of company laid off three times in the last 15 months, with at least one more smaller layoff that i can think of sandwiched in between. "Growing Pains" does not explain the actions of this company. They have no idea what they are doing. "Industry Solutions" team was conceived, built, and completely disbanded within 12 months. Every round of layoffs was followed with at least one new VP hire, and (surprise!) it just happens to be a friend of the CEO
    - fun perks they used to have (team building activities, charity events, t-shirts, etc) went bye bye long ago, while the executive team continues to rack up huge monthly expense bills. All the "look how much fun we have" pictures on their website are at least 16 months old. (Shoutoberfest 2013!) i.e. a month before the first ax was dropped.
    - a 2% salary increase is presented like they just doubled your salary
    - "managers" usually get their title based on how long they have been at the company, or how loud they can yell, and show no ability to manage people and are even less capable of developing the skills of anyone on their team. The few talented managers the company did have are no longer there
    - talented, smart people have been leaving (voluntarily) in droves, and the few that are left are looking to leave
    - "company stock" haha

"Advice to Management"? LOL like they would listen anyway. This place used to be so fun. People worked very hard, were encouraged to play hard as well, and everyone was generally happy. I loved coming to work everyday. Really not sure where it all went wrong, but massive layoffs every few months certainly didn't help. Your core values are a sham. Either update them or start actually believing in and adhering to them. ("Transparency" is the biggest joke)

"Advice to people that have an interview here and are smartly checking Glassdoor during the process"
    Don't do it. Just, seriously, don't. You're a few years too late to work at a fun, innovative company. The recent positive reviews you see are from people the company asked to write them- yep, that's the kind of company you'd be working for now.

Prepare to be micromanaged

I have been working at Shoutlet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The cool factor of working for a tech company without the hassle of working long hours in a big city.
    No shortage of fun people to work with and you might even find some people to hang out with on the weekends.

Cons

Be prepared to get micromanaged into submission. You are hired because you are "smart" and "talented" and have "good experience" and then you get second guessed, questioned and double checked over and over and over. Doesn't matter your level of experience, if you aren't the right title and there's someone above you with an agenda they will oversee everything you do down to the very last bullet in an email. That's if they don't decide what you should do first without letting you think for yourself or use your brain.

Let people do their jobs. Is it worth your time to critique every sentence, every image, every presentation, every email?
    You hired these people for a reason let them do what they are there to do. Help them to develop real career skills, not just to do things the way you want so they won't be able to do their real job. That won't help them or you in the long run.

Head, no, run for the hills

I worked at Shoutlet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The friends I've made are some of the best in my adult life. They are creative, smart, funny and they are being slowly crushed by this place.

Sorry, pros. pros. pros. Hm.

Flex PTO? Free soda? Cereal? A gaming room nobody uses? Those things are nice, I guess, but I'd take only 2 weeks vacation and some free tap water if it meant I felt valued and stable in my work life.

Cons

The lies. "No, we aren't going to lay anymore people off" cue third round of layoffs the next day. "We've had a record year" yeah, of layoffs, not hitting numbers and people resigning. "Here's all the amazing product components we have" now quickly build them so we don't get caught in our web of lies.

Under, no, un-qualified management. Take a class on leadership and how to motivate employees. Learn how to communicate please, and this does not consist of yelling at or mocking employees to make your asinine points. They are smart, they know what they are talking about (most often they know more than you do). Stop acting like they are children that need a scolding. You need them to fix the messes you are making.

What's the opposite of transparency. There are conversations that happen on a VP/c-suite level and then completely separate conversations that happen with the rest of the employees. And when discrepancies or questions come up, it's the fault of the employees, not management. It's time to start being honest with each other. Honest about the state of the business. Honest about what products are actually being worked on. Honest about what you are going to do to fix this, if anything. Get everybody on the same page and give them a sense of "we are all in this together" and that doesn't include "it sucks, we're all stressed, deal with it." Things are not lining up and your stories are not lining up and it's starting to show.

Instability. People are fleeing at the rate of 1 - 2 resignations a week. Customers are being lost. Deals are being lost. Crazy (not crazy good) things are happening to the product. It is a direction-less mess and the people that can actually affect positive change and innovate aren't allowed to.

There is a consistent air of "what is going to happen" that is hanging over the heads of everyone, whether they want to admit it or not. The future of this company is unclear.

Management: Get with it. People are not happy. No, they are miserable, and they are leaving you high and dry. You cannot survive without them, not that you seem to care.

Advice to the few real employees left: Get out, there is life after Shoutlet. It is happy and rewarding. Your blood pressure and personal life will thank you.

Advice to people applying to Shoutlet: Don't do it. Just don't. Turn around and act like you never saw the job listing. The stuff you read probably wasn't true anyway.

Prepare the lifeboats

I worked at Shoutlet

Pros

The folks at Shoutlet are a talented and friendly bunch. The health plan is the best I've ever seen. Office perks include a basement gym, free cereal, beer, and soda.

Cons

The culture has rapidly eroded since we hired a new CEO in 2013. He came in and in his first month fired a bunch of amazing customer-facing people, then replaced them with executives who do nothing to better the company. This has happened twice more since then. They frame it as growing pains, but we all can see that the company is tanking and they are trying to sell it and get rich at the expense of the rest of us.

This is a company of around 150, and 10-15 of them are VPs. This is not a recipe for success.

Shoutlet is still very much a startup company, and that means that the reward should be worth the risk. It used to be...

Talented people are leaving in droves. The ones who stay are trying to hold onto what it used to be, not the dwindling potential that they see.

Everyone is afraid for their jobs. The smart ones are looking to leave.

I do not anticipate Shoutlet being in business much longer.

You've ruined this company with poor management. You've already lost dozens of amazing people, and the ones who are left have one foot out the door.

Listen to your employees, and at least act like you care about them.

Build a more stable and consistent product.

Remember that great customer service will save you from your software's many problems, but only if your team enjoys being there.