Shred-it International

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
2.6

Vincent R. (Vince) De Palma

Pros
  • The best thing about this company is that it really does have good people working for it (in 7 reviews)

• Decent benefits with a nice amount of vacation time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro managed, no room for growth, senior management have no concern for end user (in 5 reviews)

• Management is leaned on heavily and doesn't understand how to absorb that instead of passing onto sales team (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Csr driver

Current Employee - Driver in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Driver in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Shred-it International

Pros

Get a lot of overtime.

Cons

Very physical job, long days at work. And no growth

Get you a good night sleep

Shred-it needs to invest in the future - just alright

I have been working at Shred-it International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Canadian based private company provides plenty of time off with competitive vacation policy and benefits package. Merger with Cintas is bringing lots of quality talent and improvements to Sales process and pay. Shred-it has great routing software, that is easy to use and real time.

Cons

Going through a messy merger. Old school management of command and control by Shred-it and overall focus on profit over people for years. Mid to senior management don't have the ability to make decisions without layers of approvals and legal interference so decision making is slow. Lack of customer service focus internally or externally. No developmental training or succession planning process in place. so guess what people don't do the right things. Lack of investment in capitol equipment or modern systems is apparent such as modernized trucks. Rarely promote from within due to lack of talent development or willingness to pay competitively.

Provide tons of training and development to your field managers and supervisor; they make bad decisions because they don't know better. Upgrade your payroll and HR systems get with modern times, stop wasting time with broken systems. Stop paying consultants and listen to your employees.

not secure

I have been working at Shred-it International

Pros

low salary but 12 hours a day helps.

Cons

horrible equipment and working conditions.

Good first time sales job

I have been working at Shred-it International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

work-life balance, fun place to work, great co-workers

Cons

no room for advancement, invest more money into resources (i.e. trucks, salesforce)

Baltimore Md Excellent place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Shred-it International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent manager in Baltimore office, great benefits, 401k, company match, excellent hours and schedules

Cons

A few trucks were too old and difficult to deal with maintenance issues

High Expectations

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Shred-it International

Pros

New and exciting times for the company with the merger

Cons

Moving awfully fast and not much feedback taken into account by upper management

High staff turnover, no training, and unrealistic financial and sales goals

I worked at Shred-it International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked the trucks, the shredding equipment and shirts a lot. There were days when I felt appreciated but there were many more when I felt like nobody cared and just wanted to get through the day.

Cons

High staff turnover in the office. During the years I was there, there were several changes in operation, administration, and sales management.. Training is non-existent, temps are used in excess, and people get fired when branches need to reach their financial goals.

My experience at Shred-it was the most negative point in my career.

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Shred-it International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work here was... Looking back on it, the obit reason I took the job is because I was young and fooled.

Cons

Micro managing to another level. More work had to be done to process our own micro management and daily/weekly reports than to sell. Even having to track our own commission because they could not seem to get their job done and get me paid.

Take a look in the mirror before you treat your employees with zero respect due to your own failures.

Many Branches, Many Differences

I worked at Shred-it International

Pros

The pay was great, the hours were a solid 8-5, and I had great coworkers at the first branch I worked for.

Cons

Working as a Sales & Office Coordinator requires working non-stop throughout the work day to meet the needs of not only the customers, but reports and customer account creation/management that the company requires daily. Management does not understand that having more and more revenue and having so little help to complete all the work, not to mention the phone rings every 5 seconds and it's usually someone wanting an earlier service or another issue you have to attend to and straighten out. Everyone is so busy, all day everyday, that fulfilling a customer's needs right away is impossible. You need to talk to dispatch or the CSM, but they are always busy. Everyone is always so busy. Management makes you feel guilty for taking your full lunch hour, taking a bathroom break or leaving when your shift ends. Theydo often offer overtime, but not enough to meet the needs of the amount of work that is handed to you. Even with 4 people managing accounts, things still slip by and tasks are not completed. I have worked for 2 separate branches on different sides of the country and believe me, its just as bad at one place as it is at the other.

Listen and learn. "Why isn't this done yet?", is not motivation or a way to boost morale. Hire more associates to help with overflow. We have lives after work. This job does not control your life. And take better care of your customers. The "Oh well" attitude that the NY branch is disgusting.

Ok

I have been working at Shred-it International (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ok fair job and pay

Cons

values big company dont feel part of team