Shred-it International

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Vincent R. (Vince) De Palma

Pros
  • The best thing about this company is that it really does have good people working for it (in 6 reviews)

• Decent benefits with a nice amount of vacation time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Company offers no training, and you will be ridden every day, multiple times a day for your "numbers" (in 3 reviews)

• Very poor leadership - sales team is looked down upon by management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

"Put your MONEY where you MOUTH is"

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsEmployees at the branch level are great and really care.

ConsCorporate must come down from the CLOUDS and face reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is like the WHITE HOUSE. A huge amount of SALARIES and not one person in CORPORATE can make a decision. If you want to show PROFIT pay your branch managers, office employees and CSRs better, which are the ones that make it happen daily. Executives should look at what is an exagerated SALARY and remember that other employees have families to. During this merger I guess corporate has no idea that SHRED IT employees are being terminated. Ok so that's how you show profit. Keep track of how many Shred It employees are being fired and Cintas employees are staying. Amazing how everyone is blind and afraid to speak.

Merger things are chaos

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsShred It is the worlds largest document destruction company and has now merged with Cintas. Basically they have bought out their competition.

ConsThere is a ton of confusion, the management doesnt know if they will keep their jobs, much less the employees. Poorly run, and is owned by a private equity group.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your stuff together or else this company is in serious trouble. It could be an awesome company if run right.

The company is in transition

Field Representative (Former Employee)

ProsFamily Values,and performance based pay!!

ConsBecoming more Corporate, bonuses reducing

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brutal hard labour.

Customer Service Representative/Driver (Former Employee) Cambridge, ON (Canada)

ProsStraight days tho some Saturday work was forced. Pay not the worst but too low for the amount of hard work.

ConsUniform supplier incompetent, it's awful to work in ill-fitting clothes. Saturday work. Lots of stair climbing while carrying bags weighing 80+ lbs.. Often times 1 man sent to do work of 2 and expected to get it done in same time. Customers NOT made to bring all boxes of papers to be 'Purged' to a convenient truck door, instead CSR forced to use flimsy wheeled cart and go through tight constricted office spaces hauling huge bags stuffed full of paper. Customers often expect you to take lidless or broken boxes of papers outside on a windy day and if YOU lose even one sheet of paper it is a 'Security Breech' and a termination offense. You are set up to fail and when you do they will fire you then put on your Records Of Employment that you Quit to 'simplify their paperwork' but that makes it impossible to get Unemployment Insurance benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementForce customers to bring all materials in a PURGE to a door that the truck can park near if you truly care about Security. Having to haul 200+ Banker Boxes from a basement through an Office on a flimsy cart is ridiculous. Pay a Bonus for Saturday work. Switch to a tipping bin system instead of bags/cart.

Small Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsQuick decision making, Decent pay, Local owner

ConsCompany is ran on the "buddy" system, No room for professional advancement, not your typical business atmosphere, great ideas and hard work are overlooked

Advice to Senior ManagementManage like a real company, not on the "buddy" system.

Great place to work

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Saint Rose, LA

ProsFantastic opportunity to learn the sales process. High passed. Never a dull moment. Decent pay. If you work hard, it really does pay off.

ConsDizzying amount of paperwork sometimes. At first its hard, but you get the hang out it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the sales process. Introduce new technologies for presentations. Incorporate PSS and Shred-It into a single unit. Trainers are fantastic. Maybe more training opportunities from those guys would be great. Offer profit sharing.

Work long hours for little pay.

ProsGood benefits and nice co-workers are the only pros to working here.

Cons1. No training to speak of at all.
    2. No accountability. The service is overpriced and when a deal is signed, often operations doesn't/can't service it properly. Comedy of errors.
    3. Customers cancel contracts and Shred-it holds them to the letter of the agreement as if Shred-it held themselves to the letter for servicing the way they promised. Ridiculous.
    4. Upper management turns a blind eye to inept GM that have ridiculously high turnover in not only sales, but management. These "brother-in-law" type of relationships are the problematic ones yet they are the ones that remain in place regardless of complaints from their direct reports and customers.
    5. Micro-manage sales to death but the attention needs to be in other places as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your local branches. Go there, speak to the sales people, the CSR's and the local management. They will show you the problems Shred-it has.
    Now you'd be smart to convert Shred-it to Cintas' way. This is the only way you'd have a chance.

Amazing when a franchise office, frustrating when we were acquired by corporate

Sales Executive (Current Employee) North Sacramento, CA

ProsGood training, great people at some offices

ConsMicromanaged, corporate strategies that change like the direction of the wind. Very high price point and under the corporate structure, you don't get what you paid for. You are a number on a spreadsheet producing a number with no regard to any other skills you bring to the table. You are at the mercy of your territory.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe the merger with Cintas will help? Treat employees with a little bit of respect

Salary

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery competitive biweekly basis and dd available

ConsNone they do a great job

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

A great company to work for!!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsThoroughly enjoyable and inspiring leaders!
    A detailed training process to ensure you follow there process
    Excellent bonus scheme
    Company Car
    Approachable business from line manager to CEO

ConsAt least 2 appointments to close a sale
    95% cold sales
    No existing data base
    Patch can be a distance from home

Advice to Senior ManagementEverybody having a single focus On revenue would have helped my sales and figures and I felt my team over all

Worked for Shred-it International? Contribute to the Community!