Shutterfly
www.shutterfly.com Redwood City, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Shutterfly Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Opportunity to make an immediate impact in your area; good compensation; good work-life balance"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Was a fun place to work - very cool products & solid management team"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sometimes it can be very challenging when it comes to work-life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good old boys club in senior management"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Shutterfly rocks!

Senior Director (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsWe have an incredibly talented group of senior management and employees, and we treat each other with respect. We have a culture that rewards performance and good business thinking and strategy, and not politics.

As a company that focuses on helping other create and preserve memories, many of which are related to families, we have great respect for our employees' needs to balance work and family life. It is also just plain fun to work on a product and service that you know makes others' lives happier and better.

ConsAs a medium-sized public company, we have somewhat limited resources to execute all of the great ideas that our team has. So we have to be patient and prioritize, which can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build our culture, hire great people, and keep us focused on building a great company for years to come.

Good Employer.

Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat benefits and perks. Enjoyable work on products and services that will be used by many to store and share memories.

ConsI haven't encountered any serious problems so far. This has been a great place to learn new skills and work of fun projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the innovation. I wouldn't mind seeing some more options for mounting pictures. It would be nice to order a picture and have the option to put it in a frame, on a foam standout, or in an acrylic floating mount.

Shutterfly -- A terrific place to work!

Redwood City, CA

ProsShutterfly is a great place to work for many reasons, here are just a few:
    - We have a top notch management team that drives company focus on our priorities. This makes it easy to come in every day and say "Is what I'm working on driving the business forward."
    - Unbelievably skilled direct managers and peers. The the ability to plan strategically and execute flawlessly is a characteristic embodied in everyone here.
    - Real focus on development of employees. The quarterly review process makes it easy to set goals and work towards achieving them and rewards are doled out accordingly.
    - Compensation is very competitive and the work/life balance is awesome--especially important if you have a rough commute like I do.

ConsI do not have any cons as of yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to management yet.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fairly good place to work

Redwood City, CA

ProsFlexible but productive. There are future growth opportunities.

ConsFair paid, but with limited bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the bonus pool.

A good place to work, with lots of potential

Redwood City, CA

Pros*Smart, passionate and nice people who are committed to developing innovative products
    *Strong management team with solid vision for future company growth
    *Customer centric company
    *Collaborative working environment, no egos
    *Huge strides in the past year to strengthen employee benefits and make Shutterfly a fun place to spend your time

Cons*Employee development stalls out quickly due to pace and workload
    *Managers need to spend more time on career growth and development to avoid burnout and frustration

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to be held accountable for employee development, otherwise you are going to lose strong talent.

Fun culture, but needs to improve career development system

Manager (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsCreative, passionate co-workers who strive hard to create beautiful and good products.
    Good work/home life balance.
    Believe that employees are the best advocates of the brand and the products - free and discounted products.

ConsSystem of promotions is unevenly applied and flawed. System to apply bonuses is flawed.
    Not really a culture of telecommuting. Should be more eco-friendly policies and practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe system to apply bonuses is just off. Plenty of people do a great job and deserve greater proportion of their bonus --- but other teams erroneously give out 5s, skewing bonus distribution for the rest of the company. Also, HR should be better informed of promotions and talking to the appropriate managers for promotions of the people they supervise. There are those who have be here for over 3 years and have never received a promotion, while those who have been here a year get one right away. I understand that some positions open up and create an opportunity, but there's needs to be a system and plan created that encourages employees to continue to build skills and talents and that career opportunities beyond their currently job title is possible.

A good place to work

Redwood City, CA

Pros- Positive work-life balance
    - Perks and rewards such as snacks, fresh fruit, lunches in when working over the lunch hour
    - Good people to work with, high quality, competent
    - Leadership is approachable and cares for it's employees
    - Provide interesting training opportunities, such as presentation skills and photoshop classes

Cons- Frequent organizational changes result in lack of clarity around promotion path and career trajectory
    - Favoritism within certain groups and preference given to certain groups/managers
    - Can be tough to navigate the political landmines at times

Advice to Senior Management- Be sure that all groups, no matter how big or small, are treated equitably
    - Be sure managers have a set career path for their direct reports so that we minimize employee attrition

How you talk - that is waht matters NOT what you talk.

IT Manager (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsCompany based on a good social concept. Many employees are smart and capable. You get a lot of small perks like picnics, games, cookies etc.

ConsTop Management except perhaps the CEO and CFO do not seem passionate about the company. They are hands off and clueless about how the company runs. So many sycophants under them have made this company their haven. You need not know what happened to walk away with the biggest prize in All Hands meeting. All management positions are almost always filled from outside. There is no scientific analysis of the effectiveness of the promotions and discounts, there is no cost-benefit analysis of the projects. Everything seems to work well on auto-pilot.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have stopped thinking creatively. There are too many VPs and Directors. There is not enough to do for them. Go by one-strike rule for the top management. Aggressively review the hiring and retention at the middle management level. One third of your workforce does not contribute anything, do you know that?

Nice people, but nothing special

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsThe people are usually nice.

ConsYou get the same political B.S. as at any other company - minus the willingness to fire people; thus, truly incompetent / disruptive employees are tolerated for far too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more willing to fire non-performers.

This is a five star company! I hope it continues to prosper as it continues to make lasting memories for people.

Charlotte, NC

ProsThe company just makes you feel special as an employee, the pay is good and the benefits are excellent!

ConsI like my job so much that I hate to miss work even when I am sick. Don't know if that is a blessing or a curse.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Worked for Shutterfly? Contribute to the Community!

Shutterfly Videos

Shutterfly – Why Work for Us?

How many jobs help you celebrate new babies, parties, weddings, reunions, a trip to Disneyland or the Roman Coliseum... all in the same day? How many jobs help make people smile from ear to ear and shed tears of joy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shutterfly reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shutterfly CEO Jeff Housenbold. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Shutterfly employees.