Shutterfly

www.shutterfly.com

Shutterfly Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Opportunity to make an immediate impact in your area; good compensation; good work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

• Was a fun place to work - very cool products & solid management team(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it can be very challenging when it comes to work-life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Good old boys club in senior management(in 6 reviews)

Shutterfly Review

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsWork/life balance is important at Shutterfly, open communication with executive staff, opportunity to work on a variety of projects, and happy people at Shutterfly.

ConsPay and benefits could be more competitive, career growth is slow, planning is slow, sometimes the company acts as a scrappy startup.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of executive staff should act in a more visionary/inspirational role (similar to Jeff), give more direct/critical feedback to teams throughout the year vs waiting for quarterly reviews, do more to motivate teams.

I enjoy going to work each day.

Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsI really liked most of the people. The products are great and the little perks like promo codes, free drinks and discounted snacks are nice. Company wide meetings are held every quarter and over attempts at communication is good.

ConsCan get to be political. If you are on the wrong side, or don't have the right "friends", it can be hard to advance. Some depts have a lot of turnover and there are limited consequences for repeated mistakes which creates a lack of ownership and responsibility for you work.

Advice to Senior Managementit is not all about the new employees, don't forget your more senior ones who have helped you reached the status you are at today

Despite growing pains, great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- collegiate atmosphere. everyone works together and plays together. great friendships.
    - surrounding by a lot of smart, passionate people
    - people are passionate about the brand
    - the founders and senior level execs are friendly and approachable, they really care about their employees
    - work/life balance and flexibility

Cons- company in awkward growing stage, trying to figure out who they are
    - a lot of young employees who wants aggressive promotions faster than they are available
    - clash between new and older and employees at times
    - benefits are o-k for the valley

Advice to Senior Managementvalue employees, keep communication open

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and highly recommend it!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat people, very transparent management team, and great products you can stand behind.

Consi wish the offices were in SF!

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

I really like working for this company

Lead (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsEmployer:
    cares about quality
    cares about employees
    lots of perks
    secure-coming is growing!
    Unlike places who talk the talk, Shutterfly does care about these things from top management down. They commit to their employees with lots of training.

ConsIts seasonal, so there are lots of temporary workers hired by another company. There is lots of time spent training, often on folks who never come back again.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication at the lower level is sketchy. Shift Managers communicate different amounts, so lots of information is gained through the old rumour mill.

Shutterfly rocks!

Senior Director (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsWe have an incredibly talented group of senior management and employees, and we treat each other with respect. We have a culture that rewards performance and good business thinking and strategy, and not politics.

As a company that focuses on helping other create and preserve memories, many of which are related to families, we have great respect for our employees' needs to balance work and family life. It is also just plain fun to work on a product and service that you know makes others' lives happier and better.

ConsAs a medium-sized public company, we have somewhat limited resources to execute all of the great ideas that our team has. So we have to be patient and prioritize, which can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build our culture, hire great people, and keep us focused on building a great company for years to come.

Good Employer.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat benefits and perks. Enjoyable work on products and services that will be used by many to store and share memories.

ConsI haven't encountered any serious problems so far. This has been a great place to learn new skills and work of fun projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the innovation. I wouldn't mind seeing some more options for mounting pictures. It would be nice to order a picture and have the option to put it in a frame, on a foam standout, or in an acrylic floating mount.

Shutterfly -- A terrific place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsShutterfly is a great place to work for many reasons, here are just a few:
    - We have a top notch management team that drives company focus on our priorities. This makes it easy to come in every day and say "Is what I'm working on driving the business forward."
    - Unbelievably skilled direct managers and peers. The the ability to plan strategically and execute flawlessly is a characteristic embodied in everyone here.
    - Real focus on development of employees. The quarterly review process makes it easy to set goals and work towards achieving them and rewards are doled out accordingly.
    - Compensation is very competitive and the work/life balance is awesome--especially important if you have a rough commute like I do.

ConsI do not have any cons as of yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to management yet.

This is a five star company! I hope it continues to prosper as it continues to make lasting memories for people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe company just makes you feel special as an employee, the pay is good and the benefits are excellent!

ConsI like my job so much that I hate to miss work even when I am sick. Don't know if that is a blessing or a curse.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Shutterfly ROCKS!

Final Assembly Lead (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe best place to work. Great Training and tools provided to allow each one to succed.

ConsLunch time is limited to 20 min. could be longer

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand lunch to 30 min.

Worked for Shutterfly? Contribute to the Community!