Shutterfly

Shutterfly Reviews in Redwood City, CA

Updated Apr 24, 2014

Shutterfly President, CEO, and Director Jeff Housenbold

Jeff Housenbold

Pros
  • Opportunity to make an immediate impact in your area; good compensation; good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Was a fun place to work - very cool products & solid management team (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it can be very challenging when it comes to work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Good old boys club in senior management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights
71 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Staff Engineer

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat company, and culture. You always get awarded for your hardwork

ConsIts difficult to work other teams and no co-operation between

HIres top people but has them doing low level work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsYou get to work with some very smart and talented people

ConsGood old boys club in senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some more women in top spots Jeff!

Shutterfly: A House of Cards

Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsFor the most part, Shutterfly delivers on its promise on print quality and speed. Employees like the access to free product and perks.

ConsCEO portrays the company to the public and shareholders as a successful "family" of brands who is smarter and better than the competition. In reality, Shutterfly is a dysfunctional family, a "Mr. Potato Head" of mis-fit entities who have no real connection other than their target customer. The industry is ripe for a competitor to blow Shutterfly away. The elephant in the room is Costco, who ceased its partnership with Shutterfly and is quickly grabbing market share at half the price and equal (or better quality). Poor strategic purchasing decisions like MyPublisher and Borrowlenses improve revenue slightly but take time and resources to run. Lack of female executives is appalling and almost sickening for a company that has a customer base of OVER 90% women. CEO constantly talks about core customer being a mom and references his wife's purchasing habits qualify him to be the voice of the customer(?!) ALL Shutterfly executives VP and above leadership are white men. Turnover at all levels in the organization is increasing and many top managers are looking elsewhere for jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire women. Hire diverse points of view. Approach the market with creativity and innovation. Quit buying crappy companies. Stop quoting your wife's opinion and start talking to real customers through research. Stop believing you are the best of the best and challenge yourself a little.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great, growing place to work in a life-balance-friendly high-tech company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsCutting-edge technology in a place where everyone has a family and expects you to be a part of yours.

ConsQ4 is crazy, but that is when we make all our money

Great people, too bad about the management.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsCo-located engineering, good salary, flexible schedule. The individuals in the trenches all seem very well intentioned and skilled. Some internal promising technology. Not much dead weight in the engineering team compared with outer large companies I've worked at.

ConsNot a "get things done" culture- it mostly attribute this to a very conservative management stye. No risk taking, slow to adopt new ideas and new trends. Strategy consists of "more of the same". Some key executives are micromanagers. Too bad, some of the teams are very talented and could just "makes things happen" if not straddled with such a burdensome management culture.

Advice to Senior Management1) Look around at what the market is doing, not just what our current customer base does. 2) Meet less, do more. 3) Clean up the product, its all over the map. Customers notice-I hear it from my friends.

Strong growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsI've worked at the company for a few years; the company continues to grow and the opportunities for career growth do as well

ConsShutterfly acquired Tiny Prints a couple of years ago, and the companies still seem to be very separate from each other.

Great products, smart people, good experience

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsOpportunity to make an immediate impact in your area; good compensation; good work-life balance

ConsSome teams prefer to operate in total chaos, which screws things up for those stuck working with them; opportunities for promotions seem more based on politics than merit

Advice to Senior ManagementReward team members for success, and don't let those prone to consistent failure stand in the way of recognizing key contributors

Good Company to work for

Senior QA Engineer II (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsWork life Balance is good. Good Food sometimes

ConsNothing much. Micro management is Taking over

Advice to Senior ManagementStable Company

Great company culture

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsEnjoy the people that I work with, we attract great talent

Consstill a small company and less opportunities

Advice to Senior Managementcareer planning is key to maintain good talent

Building premier brands

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThe company is building a portfolio of premium brands and is willing to invest in technology, product, and marketing to support the growth.

Consumer-focused, action-oriented work force: company culture is about winning in the market and making a difference in our customers' lives.

ConsMultiple corporate locations (Shutterfly run out of Redwood City, Tiny Prints / Wedding Paper Divas out of Sunnyvale, MyPublisher out of NYC) places a premium on communication in order to coordinate across brands and functions.

Worked for Shutterfly? Contribute to the Community!