Shutterfly Reviews

Reset
3.3
Shutterfly President, CEO, and Director Jeff Housenbold
Jeff Housenbold

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance for the most part (in 19 reviews)

• Great people, fun environment, good pay (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Mediocre benefits package - average salaries, weak bonus scheme, and no 401K match (in 4 reviews)

• This causes constant schedules changes and long hours (in 6 reviews)

1. I love working at Shutterfly

Current Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Great people, great products, talented management team. Strong sense of committment to values and behaviors. Products are best in the industry and they bring smiles to our customers. Team is focused on the customer and doing what's right by them. I like the fact we are growing quickly which provides opportunity for continous learning and growth. I also like the fact we are very well know and my Mom is proud of where I work. Lastly, the executive team especially the CEO is very approachable and cares about people and not just money.

Cons

Pace is fast given the growth

Advice to Management

Hire more people to meet the needs of our growth.

Shutterfly is a great place to make a difference in a fun industry for a company that's not too big and not too small.

Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Fun product and service, good culture with smart people, not to big and not too small, solid buisiness that makes money in good times and bad, good place to learn from experienced and sucessful people especially the management team. All in all I'm pretty happy and its much better than the other four valley companies I've worked for.

Cons

Twice a month during product releases the hours increase. We don't have the resources that Google or Oracle had so the "free" perks aren't as great.

Advice to Management

The leadership team is very smart and cares about the company but sometimes the communication stalls as it trickles down. Continue to reach out to the employees through the brown bag lunches, all hands meetings, and departmental get togethers.

Finally, somebody who gets it!

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Great work atmosphere: very collaborative, open, friendly environment. We celebrate our successes routinely, and not just the big ones, but the small milestones as well. (i.e. milestones of number orders in a day, unique websites hits, or delighting each and every customer every day are all celebrated by cheers, music, laps being run by our COO, etc...) Passionate people: everyone at Tiny Prints works very hard to make the company successful and to go the extra mile with our customers to make sure their Tiny Prints experience was a delightful one. Camaraderie: Yes, we work hard, we have to, we're a successful start-up, but we also play hard too. It is not unusual to have pumpkin carving contests, Halloween costume contests, cake decorating contests, iron chef, beer Fridays, you name it, our social committee is always coming up with ways to have a ton of fun with the people we work with. Birthday committee: Our birthday committee makes sure that EVERY employee's birthday is honored with a birthday poem written especially for the honored employee. Start-up snacks: the company keeps the kitchen stocked with snacks, sodas, beverages, Starbucks and Peets coffee, and fresh fruit delivered once a week! Monthly company meetings: The CEO and senior management team host an all hands company meeting where new endeavors, company metrics, financial metrics, questions and answers are communicated to all employees. The transparency and great communication help to eliminate politics and bureaucracy as well as foster employee trust and loyalty. Also at the company meetings are service anniversary awards and the TP stars (a peer to peer award given each month from one employee to another for recognizing their dedication and hard work). Employee discounts and this year - free holiday cards for all employees! An executive staff that truly cares about treating the employees well and having great employee morale. Corporate culture: its not just a mission statement and values no one lives by, we have 3 corporate culture committees made of execs and employees that help to find ways to operationalize the culture and values and eliminate any barriers employees may run up against. We look forward to Mondays! Everyone loves what they do and the people they work with.

Cons

Haven't found any yet! The pay, while not top of market is competitive and pre-IPO stock options are always good!

Advice to Management

Keep it going. You're doing it right, don't fall into the traps most companies do when they grow. Guard fiercely our corporate culture as it took some time to build it into what it is today.

Fun, Rewarding and Challenging!

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Fun, creative and supportive corporate culture Great coworkers Fantastic product Green Certified company! Constant focus on innovation, improvement and delighting the customer Birthday poems! Kids and dogs visiting the office

Cons

Growing pains - sometimes things don't work as smoothly as you'd like them to because as we get bigger, we have to adjust.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Remember to listen to your employees - we have great ideas and we all care about the success of the company. :D

Tiny Prints is a fun and vibrant place to work. Ideas are share freely and appreciated by management.

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Everyone really cares about the customers and all employees are expected and empowered to go above and beyond to satisfy every customer. This results in very happy customers which makes it fun to work with them and serve them.

Cons

We play hard but we also work very hard. At times we are expected to multi-task on an overwhelming number of projects, but it's very rewarding to get that much work done.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

The Little Company That Could...

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Very fun working environment that breeds collaboration; lots of free perks like food and drinks, energetic and motivated group of folks; exemplinary HR Department

Cons

we need more parking spaces

Advice to Management

As the company grows, be sure to stay focused on what works as far as the culture is concerned, continually challenge employees in a positive way and stay fresh and innovative, avoid breeding complacency

Great entrepreneurial workplace

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Entrepreneurial, great co-workers, great management, significant professional development available

Cons

Currently the company is transitioning from being a start-up into being a bigger company - this always causes problems and leanings.

Advice to Management

Keep motivation up for employees and keep employees as informed as possible, especially during holidays

Best company ... EVER

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Tiny Prints is a great place to work because all of the management sincerely cares about your personal growth. Feedback is regular and covers both improvement opportunities and personal successes. We maintain a tight-knit feeling by doing things like celebrating personal life milestones (weddings, births). And of course, we all love to eat and do it often.

Cons

None! Well... we aren't walking distance from a lot of restaurants. But downtown Mountain View is pretty close by!

Advice to Management

Management - thank you for always providing feedback and openly receiving feedback from your teams. And thank you for taking the time to help your employees grow - there are few places that work so hard for their employees!

Fun Place to Be

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Tiny Prints is a very fun place to work. The people, product, and culture are all very refreshing. I have only worked at 2 other places before TP, but can say that this is a totally different type of company. Everyone (including the executives) are friendly and open and you never feel like anyone thinks they are better than you. The pay is ok and the benefits are very good. We also have a lot of fun company events.

Cons

The holidays (our peak season) can be a little overwhelming, although they are always fun. Sometimes the hours can be long but I guess that's because we're growing so quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing information with us. It's usually pretty good, but it helps us all to know what is going on with the company.

11. Tiny Prints Pride

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Their culture. Everyone has the same core values and it really makes you want to work hard.

Cons

I'm so passionate about work that I don't ever want to leave.

Advice to Management

You've built an amazing company! Thank you!

RSS Feed </> Embed